hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Salary cap

Salary cap

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/amp/foot...mpression=true

I’ve long thought this is the only way to make Scottish football competitive. As we appear only to think things are a good idea once England does it theses days, this could be a step in the right direction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

I’ve long thought this is the only way to make Scottish football competitive. As we appear only to think things are a good idea once England does it theses days, this could be a step in the right direction.

No danger that will go ahead up here.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar

That could certainly help Scottish clubs in terms of keeping/signing players.

Even if it's not brought in up here, it might stop Scottish Premiership clubs from losing a lot of decent players to Leagues One and Two in England.

Quote Originally Posted by 1 8 7 5 View Post
    No danger that will go ahead up here.
    It’s in the interests of 10, maybe 11 of the clubs to have a £5m salary cap in the league. It’s only because it’s not done elsewhere that it hasn’t happened here. Covid 19 might change that. It’s possible that other European countries start to do the same to reign in costs.

Blog Entries

Are you suggesting this would be across the board in all leagues? I wonder what the ugly sisters would have to say about this hindering their European campaigns.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim44 View Post
    Are you suggesting this would be across the board in all leagues? I wonder what the ugly sisters would have to say about this hindering their European campaigns.
    Sevco might se it as a chance to get parity with Celtic and not worry too much about Europe?

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    A worldwide transfer and salary cap is the only thing that might make football more competitive rather than a two/three horse race in most countries. That's also precisely why UEFA will never approve it.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Salary caps won't happen in any top leagues, or if they do they'll far exceed anything that will effect even the OF.

Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    Salary caps won't happen in any top leagues, or if they do they'll far exceed anything that will effect even the OF.
    Remember that salary caps benefit owners the most. Plenty big clubs are owned by Americans who love salary caps.

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    This alone could be quite good for the Scottish game to be fair. If they introduced 20 team squads and £2.5M in league 1 their average wage would be £2.4k a week. Obviously they could have higher and lower earners but I think we'd probably no longer see a situation where Scottish players can earn more in league 1/2 or where it costs us a fortune to get L1/2 players in who aren't good enough.

As for it being in place up here, I can't see it happening. It also seems unfair, something along the lines of a % of income cap would seem more reasonable - 75% or whatever is realistic.
    Mon the Hibs.

We could potentially compete with Sunderland for players if they introduce the salary cap in England 👀👀

This would be the best thing ever to happen to Scottish football.
    What about a salery cap for the league. Europe and the cups - no limit.

20 player limit could be an interesting move for the Scottish game. Could potentially stop Celtic buying up all the decent players from competing clubs and letting them rot in the reserves. Not quite sure how it could/would be enforced with long term injuries etc tho.

Never gonna happen since it won’t benefit celtic/rangers but it’s things like this that would need to happen to improve the Scottish game.

Quote Originally Posted by Lunatic View Post
    This would be the best thing ever to happen to Scottish football.
    What about a salery cap for the league. Europe and the cups - no limit.
    So you have players that play in cup and Europe only?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    So you have players that play in cup and Europe only?
    No but salary caps can be designed so that extra payments can be payed to veterans of your club or to players that have come through your own youth set up.
    A good marketable league is one which is competitive. Celtic and Rangers would still have an advantage from their bigger youth academies and their ability to attract the best coaches outside the salary cap but it gives everyone else a chance.
    A cap set at about £6m per season still means they would spend more than most of the league but it brings other teams into the fight.

Always thoughth this would be agood idea , but thought that if the salary cap was a % of turnover would force clubs to stay within limits relative to the size of the club and allow larger clubs the opportunity to pay the higher wages where they required but still within the threshold.
    Also , the squad sizes would be placed a set limit but cubs playing in Europe would be allowed a few exra players in the squad due to the additional games or length of the season.

Squad limit work well in the NFL where there is a 45? Player rule. If a pkayer gets seriously injured you can de-activate them for remainder of season up to play offs and replace them with a player off the injured reserve roster to a max of 5 times per season.

It would lead to even more fraud in football just as it has in the rugby down south.

Quote Originally Posted by ancient hibee View Post
    It would lead to even more fraud in football just as it has in the rugby down south.
    Where teams tend to be caught and punished. That would be tricky in Scotland right enough.

Where teams tend to be caught and punished. That would be tricky in Scotland right enough.

They're talking of punishing them again too.

Would be interesting but I think every country would have to go for it: could see a scenario where one or two don't and they hoover all the best players up.

Would definitely like to see a tighter squad limit though, force teams to really invest in and develop youth players.

Quote Originally Posted by Haymaker View Post
    Would be interesting but I think every country would have to go for it: could see a scenario where one or two don't and they hoover all the best players up.

Would definitely like to see a tighter squad limit though, force teams to really invest in and develop youth players.
    Scotland isn’t exactly getting to hoover up any talent anyway. We could do it without affecting the quality of player apart from Celtic and Rangers. Hibs would be unaffected.

Scotland isn’t exactly getting to hoover up any talent anyway. We could do it without affecting the quality of player apart from Celtic and Rangers. Hibs would be unaffected.

While true, there's no way Celtc or Sevco go for it just here.

There's definitely some more over sight into clubs wages/overspending etc needed so anything that helps address that is good.

Quote Originally Posted by Haymaker View Post
    While true, there's no way Celtc or Sevco go for it just here.

There's definitely some more over sight into clubs wages/overspending etc needed so anything that helps address that is good.
    Sevco might be tempted by something that brings Celtic closer to the pack.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke of Currie View Post
    Always thoughth this would be agood idea , but thought that if the salary cap was a % of turnover would force clubs to stay within limits relative to the size of the club and allow larger clubs the opportunity to pay the higher wages where they required but still within the threshold.
    Also , the squad sizes would be placed a set limit but cubs playing in Europe would be allowed a few exra players in the squad due to the additional games or length of the season.
    Makes sense.

I loathe both Ugly Sisters but don't think it's right to deny them the ability to spend the money that they make. I wouldn't be happy if our wage bill was restricted by a salary cap set at a level Hamilton can afford.

It's also got the big advantage of ensuring teams live within in their means.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

No but salary caps can be designed so that extra payments can be payed to veterans of your club or to players that have come through your own youth set up.
    A good marketable league is one which is competitive. Celtic and Rangers would still have an advantage from their bigger youth academies and their ability to attract the best coaches outside the salary cap but it gives everyone else a chance.
    A cap set at about £6m per season still means they would spend more than most of the league but it brings other teams into the fight.

Why £6m which i suspect will be our wage bill fairly soon if/when football and the economy gets going?

Surely if fairness is the aim of the game you cap it at the lowest wage bill? So Hamilton's I'd guess at maybe £1.5m a year?

Not a hope in hell players or their unions would agree to this. Rightfully so.

Quote Originally Posted by Antifa Hibs View Post
    Why £6m which i suspect will be our wage bill fairly soon if/when football and the economy gets going?

Surely if fairness is the aim of the game you cap it at the lowest wage bill? So Hamilton's I'd guess at maybe £1.5m a year?
    That’s why I picked it. if you want it to happen then you need inconvenience as few teams as possible. At that level it only affect two massively and the other two might be happy to cut back if they have more chance of silverware.

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    Not a hope in hell players or their unions would agree to this. Rightfully so.
    Players don’t get a vote. They either sign or they don’t.