hibs.net Messageboard

Page 236 of 436 FirstFirst ... 136186226234235236237238246286336 ... LastLast
Results 7,051 to 7,080 of 13062
    Quote Originally Posted by sean04 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    A lot of fans said the same about Paul Mcginn, why we signing him? Well because he’s a solid dependable right back and exactly what we need. Stephen McGinn hasn’t even signed and folk are writing him off. Jack Ross knows the player. Knows all his qualities and his character. If jack thinks he would be a good addition then that’s good enough for me
    Who said it about Paul? He was first choice for a premier League side. Stephen is a free agent who couldn't get a game. Large difference.

Yogi knew Paddy Cregg and Daryl Duffy. Lennon knew Stokes, Calderwood knew Junior Agogo. I'll be honest, it's not enough for me.

2. Log in to remove the advert

**** it. Sign all the McGinns. Every last one of them. If John has a wee dog named Sparky McGinn, get him in too. Complete the collection.

In all seriousness, the two brothers we've had brought us incredible work ethic, a winning attitude and real consistency. Stephen is an experienced pro with a good attitude who has had plenty of good games for fairly poor St Mirren teams. I'd see absolutely no issue in bringing him in as cover.
    Last edited by Vault Boy; 11-08-2020 at 09:57 PM.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    I'm rarely outspoken on potential signings before I've seen them for us but there are so many red flags on this one.
    So many red flags??

Like?

Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    Even if doesn't work out unlikely to cost much. Having someone in midfield who can come on or cover and be aggressive is never a bad thing.
    I don't think he is particularly aggressive. He is a deep play maker type.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    Completely on topic, in direct response to your ‘opinion’. I know this is your favourite answer when you’ve lost an argument though. Well played.
    Nothing to do with losing an argument. You are taking personal shots at me. That isn't the topic of the thread. Please stop it or I will report your posts.

Facts are the guy couldn't get a game for 11th place st mirren when he was their captain.

@hibs.net private member MagicSwirlingShip's Avatar
    I'm rarely outspoken on potential signings before I've seen them for us but there are so many red flags on this one.
    Wow.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    So many red flags??

Like?
    Being released by St mirren. Not getting a game for them. Never been particularly impressive when I've seen him. Not really linked with any clubs. Ross already saying he wasn't planning to sign him.

Who said it about Paul? He was first choice for a premier League side. Stephen is a free agent who couldn't get a game. Large difference.

Yogi knew Paddy Cregg and Daryl Duffy. Lennon knew Stokes, Calderwood knew Junior Agogo. I'll be honest, it's not enough for me.
    Sorry to break the news to you fella, we ain’t got money the buy players of other teams. Just trust the manager . Really using stokes as an example of a failed signing?

Completely on topic, in direct response to your ‘opinion’. I know this is your favourite answer when you’ve lost an argument though. Well played.
    😂😂👍

Quote Originally Posted by sean04 View Post
    Sorry to break the news to you fella, we ain’t got money the buy players of other teams. Just trust the manager . Really using stokes as an example of a failed signing?
    I didn't say buy players though. Gogic was a free agent.

Yes, Stokes 3rd spell was definitely a failure.

Being released by St mirren. Not getting a game for them. Never been particularly impressive when I've seen him. Not really linked with any clubs. Ross already saying he wasn't planning to sign him.
    93 games in 3 seasons isn't bad going for someone who wasn't getting a game.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    Yep, also got over 300 first team games under his belt....I’ll trust Ross and his coaches views over some of the opinions on here...was always viewed as a talent, and until last year was their first pick. If we sign him, I look forward to seeing him.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I don't think he is particularly aggressive. He is a deep play maker type.

Nothing to do with losing an argument. You are taking personal shots at me. That isn't the topic of the thread. Please stop it or I will report your posts.

Facts are the guy couldn't get a game for 11th place st mirren when he was their captain.
    Personal shots? Not sure what you mean. Merely quoted you from the other week. Patronising thumbs up smiley.

How many last season?

You think? Gullan, Allan, Gray, McGregor, Lewis, Hallberg with Wright and Mallan injured. That's an excellent bench imo. Maybe one forward/wide player as you say but our squad is actually very solid, better than Aberdeen and Motherwell easily.
    My issue is over the course of the season we will very rarely have a full strength team, we will often have one or two missing with injuries.

Bar Allan tonight and maybe at a push Gullan, I don’t see anyone on that bench that I’d be confident coming on to change a game in our favour or that the opposition would fear. Gray, McGregor, Stevenson and Hallberg are all good options for shoring up a game though. Don’t rate Murray and have yet to see him influence a game.

I also think we’re only an injury or two away to key personnel, I.e Gogic Or Porteous to really suffering and reverting to last season.

This is a massive season for us and we’ve started brilliantly, I’d hate to see us miss out on 3rd due to squad depth/quality.

Tbh id say Aberdeen have a stronger squad on paper and squad depth albeit they’ve spent a fortune over the years. I really like what Ross is doing with our squad hence why I want us to allow him to further strengthen it

How many last season?
    Injuries, you'll find it hard to get many appearances if you're injured.

Are there people who genuinely don't understand there's a global economic crisis going on?

Personal shots? Not sure what you mean. Merely quoted you from the other week. Patronising thumbs up smiley.
    Yes. You'll actually notice me not only managing to keep on topic here but also sticking to facts.

I hope that if we do sign SM he proves an excellent signing. No one should doubt that. I support Hibs and Jack Ross. I really just don't see this as a good signing. Hallberg and Mallan are significantly better options.

@hibs.net private member Heisenberg's Avatar
    I didn't say buy players though. Gogic was a free agent.

Yes, Stokes 3rd spell was definitely a failure.
    Stokes had a 1 in 2 goalscoring ratio during his third spell. Hardly a failure. He was clearly not meeting standards off the park though.

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    And another thread is dominated by the usual suspect arguing with any and everyone...

Quote Originally Posted by The Modfather View Post
    And another thread is dominated by the usual suspect arguing with any and everyone...
    Keep it on topic 😂

77F142F8-E9B8-4F05-9263-41A0D7733F94.jpg

Anyone know who the young blonde boy is? Assuming a development player but don’t recognise him.

Quote Originally Posted by The Modfather View Post
    People are discussing the merits of a potential signing. Only one person has taken it off topic with personal comments and it isn't me. There is no arguing going on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Stokes had a 1 in 2 goalscoring ratio during his third spell. Hardly a failure. He was clearly not meeting standards off the park though.
    I dunno, I think paying someone off 6 months after signing is a pretty good sign it was a failure. I actually liked stokes in his 3rd spell. Was a period where he was the only one creating and scoring for us but it really didn't work out.
    Injuries, you'll find it hard to get many appearances if you're injured.
    Yeah, seems he had 2 long spells out with knee injuries. Don't really see that as better than not getting picked right enough. I struggle to see why St mirren would have released him if he had something to offer.

Yes. You'll actually notice me not only managing to keep on topic here but also sticking to facts.

I hope that if we do sign SM he proves an excellent signing. No one should doubt that. I support Hibs and Jack Ross. I really just don't see this as a good signing. Hallberg and Mallan are significantly better options.
    See the second half of your post? That’s fair enough. It’s your opinion and you’re entitled to it. But that’s all it is. Your opinion. Not facts. I think you need to keep that in mind sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by Unseen work View Post

Anyone know who the young blonde boy is? Assuming a development player but don’t recognise him.
    He's the youth keeper, can't mind his name right now! Think he's only 15/16.

Edit: Murray Johnson is his name.
    Last edited by Vault Boy; 11-08-2020 at 10:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Unseen work View Post

Thought it may be the young keeper, the boy who was training with the first team only about 16. Coukd be well of the mark though

Whilst it’s a signing I would also have some doubts about, do you not think those “red flags” might be less significant following an extended period training with the club?

Jack Ross has had a chance to scrutinise him in the company of our current first team squad, so if he signs then a man I trust to be very competent has based a decision on what he’s seen over a long period and with his own eyes.

“So many red flags” might apply to McGinn if he were signed out of the blue a few minutes before the transfer window closed to fill a gaping hole in our squad. That’s not really the case here. If we sign him, it’s because he’s impressed.

See the second half of your post? That’s fair enough. It’s your opinion and you’re entitled to it. But that’s all it is. Your opinion. Not facts. I think you need to keep that in mind sometimes.
    The things that are facts I present as facts. It's not my opinion that st mirren released him.

@hibs.net private member MagicSwirlingShip's Avatar
    The things that are facts I present as facts. It's not my opinion that st mirren released him.
    Only fact is that he’s not even signed yet and you’ve already written him off.

Classy

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    Whilst it’s a signing I would also have some doubts about, do you not think those “red flags” might be less significant following an extended period training with the club?

Jack Ross has had a chance to scrutinise him in the company of our current first team squad, so if he signs then a man I trust to be very competent has based a decision on what he’s seen over a long period and with his own eyes.

“So many red flags” might apply to McGinn if he were signed out of the blue a few minutes before the transfer window closed to fill a gaping hole in our squad. That’s not really the case here. If we sign him, it’s because he’s impressed.
    Maybe that is true, difference way of looking at it. Wouldn't he have impressed st mirren on and off the park enough to win a deal, though? Is a 31 year old coming off the back of a rough season of injuries a risk we should be taking right now? Gogic was signed after about 2 weeks of training with us, why would Mcginn still not be signed after 2 months?

I think these are questions worth asking. I wonder what the reaction to this would be if his brother's weren't such good players or we hadn't won 3 games running. Seriously, on paper, in my opinion, this would be a poor move.

Quote Originally Posted by MagicSwirlingShip View Post
    Only fact is that he’s not even signed yet and you’ve already written him off.

Classy
    That's not the only fact though, is it?

I've not written him off. I really just don't think he's a good player and we could do better. If he signs he would get my fullest support, like everyone else.