hibs.net Messageboard

Page 15 of 436 FirstFirst ... 513141516172565115 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Diclonius View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Hallberg is one of our best midfielders. Thought that was generally the consensus on here?
    He's not started the last 11 games and not even been in the squad for some of them so the manager clearly doesn't agree.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by supermcginn View Post
    He's not started the last 11 games and not even been in the squad for some of them so the manager clearly doesn't agree.
    He was ill, hence the reason he wasn’t in the squads

i would take a straight swap with Kamberi and Docherty. is the Barker inclusion reported anywhere or a wish list as that would be great deal. wages would most likely Kybosh this particular wish

Quote Originally Posted by Leitherhibs View Post
    I think it becomes a myth when folk seem to reach a consensus of opinion. I think the comparison with Slivka is grossly unfair, Slivka had 3 seasons at Hibs and didn't put together any run of games that showed he was up to it, fleeting good performances against the OF aside.

Where does this obsession we've developed with roles come from? He's a central midfielder, he's a very good passer of the ball, a good athlete and he can take the ball in tight spaces and keep possession - He's not the complete player but we're Hibs we don't sign complete midfield players. I don't feel the need to define players with a role; box to box, playmaker, destroyer or otherwise. A central midfielder is a central midfielder.
    If we can’t sign an all round midfield player, does that not demonstrate the need to get players who can play a defined role? Otherwise, there is no balance and players end up trying to do things they’re not good at. There is no point in asking Steve Mallan to run after folk and tackle them, much as there wouldn’t have been any point in asking Marvin Bartley to play higher up the pitch and be creative.

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Leitherhibs View Post
    I think it becomes a myth when folk seem to reach a consensus of opinion. I think the comparison with Slivka is grossly unfair, Slivka had 3 seasons at Hibs and didn't put together any run of games that showed he was up to it, fleeting good performances against the OF aside.

Where does this obsession we've developed with roles come from? He's a central midfielder, he's a very good passer of the ball, a good athlete and he can take the ball in tight spaces and keep possession - He's not the complete player but we're Hibs we don't sign complete midfield players. I don't feel the need to define players with a role; box to box, playmaker, destroyer or otherwise. A central midfielder is a central midfielder.
    To be fair to Hallberg, as I mentioned, he had been asked to play a defensive midfield role owing to the failure of our recruitment. So when he can play his natural game (which I’m still not sure I know what that is) he might show what he is really capable of. So far, I can’t help but shake the feeling we’ll still be saying there’s a player in there somewhere and he leaves in a year or two having never fully convinced.

The defined roles, for my part anyway, comes from trying to articulate elements we can all see are missing from the midfield, e.g. energy, tackling and dig. We had the perfect blend of midfielders in Allan, McGinn & McGeough (someone sitting deep and taking the ball, a true box to box midfielder & a creative player) who all complimented each other. That blend, for me, is what we should aim to replicate. Since that midfield 3 we’ve had Docherty, Omeonga, Slivka, Hallberg, Mallan, Vela, Newell who all fit the “central midfielder” role, but as a result we’ve seen that with whatever combination the midfield has been soft, imbalanced and largely anonymous out of possession.

Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    If we can’t sign an all round midfield player, does that not demonstrate the need to get players who can play a defined role? Otherwise, there is no balance and players end up trying to do things they’re not good at. There is no point in asking Steve Mallan to run after folk and tackle them, much as there wouldn’t have been any point in asking Marvin Bartley to play higher up the pitch and be creative.

There's an important distinction to be made between all-round (i.e jack of all trades) midfielder and being proficient at it all. My point was that Hallberg has some very visible strengths, but is by no means a 'complete' midfield player, but then none of ours are close. I get that difference in where players play in the centre midfield, deep versus attacking but don't buy into needing the obsession with a balance of roles - Of which there are many - And they seem to growing!

Quote Originally Posted by The Modfather View Post
    To be fair to Hallberg, as I mentioned, he had been asked to play a defensive midfield role owing to the failure of our recruitment. So when he can play his natural game (which I’m still not sure I know what that is) he might show what he is really capable of. So far, I can’t help but shake the feeling we’ll still be saying there’s a player in there somewhere and he leaves in a year or two having never fully convinced.

The defined roles, for my part anyway, comes from trying to articulate elements we can all see are missing from the midfield, e.g. energy, tackling and dig. We had the perfect blend of midfielders in Allan, McGinn & McGeough (someone sitting deep and taking the ball, a true box to box midfielder & a creative player) who all complimented each other. That blend, for me, is what we should aim to replicate. Since that midfield 3 we’ve had Docherty, Omeonga, Slivka, Hallberg, Mallan, Vela, Newell who all fit the “central midfielder” role, but as a result we’ve seen that with whatever combination the midfield has been soft, imbalanced and largely anonymous out of possession.
    Lets hope he's around to play next season in a more balanced midfield, with a coach who knows his erse from his elbow and given a run of 10 games and then we can make a reasoned judgement

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    He was ill, hence the reason he wasn’t in the squads
    I think it's obvious Ross doesn't rate him.

Quote Originally Posted by brog View Post
    So why say he hits 80% of his crosses out of play then when you know it's a made up number? You weaken your decent point by including this statement.
    Yeah, I'm the only one who has backed anything up with real facts but I'm the one with the weakened point.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    You need midfielders who can put a bit of contact on when we are out of possession. Both McGeogh and Mcginn could do that. They were quality players as well.
    Players like Slivka, Hallberg, Mallan are good when we have the ball but when we need to get it back are hopeless. The have. Tendency to just run alongside players without actually attempting to win the ball back.
    Both us and Livi need players up for a scrap, we just need better quality ones. and bear in mind we finished below Livi with our quality players.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I agree. But Quality players do much more than dig. Plenty of quality players don't run around kicking people. They are still quality.

Livi finished above us because they have a pitch only they can play on. Nothing else.

Testimonial Due
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Iainhfc PSN ID: Iainhfc
    Wasn’t it reported that barker was on 10k or more p/w no danger we will get him , he’ll be away back down south and we will have dodged a bullet . Not a patch on Boyle btw ..

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    I agree. But Quality players do much more than dig. Plenty of quality players don't run around kicking people. They are still quality.

Livi finished above us because they have a pitch only they can play on. Nothing else.
    I totally agree with you on both points.
    I’m not looking for players to go round kicking people but I do want them to be able to go shoulder to shoulder with the opposition and not be bullied all over the place. Nobody could accuse McGeogh of going around kicking people but he could look after himself in midfield.

Let’s not forgot that evening under the floodlights when SDG made a horses arse of his first attempt only for his second attempt, and superb one at that, to be smashed into the roof of the net by Cummings..... the rest is history!

Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    I totally agree with you on both points.
    I’m not looking for players to go round kicking people but I do want them to be able to go shoulder to shoulder with the opposition and not be bullied all over the place. Nobody could accuse McGeogh of going around kicking people but he could look after himself in midfield.

McGinn was strong as an ox and had talent in abundance, he didn't shirk any 50-50 tackles, Dylan not as strong but a clever player, he knew how to handle himself, a bit like wee Omeonga. We had a great blend which doesn't happen very often.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Gmack7 View Post
    i would take a straight swap with Kamberi and Docherty. is the Barker inclusion reported anywhere or a wish list as that would be great deal. wages would most likely Kybosh this particular wish
    I'm sure I read some where that Docherty doesn't want to leave rangers.

Quote Originally Posted by Aldo View Post
    Let’s not forgot that evening under the floodlights when SDG made a horses arse of his first attempt only for his second attempt, and superb one at that, to be smashed into the roof of the net by Cummings..... the rest is history!

Yeah. But without Lewis' 2 assists against Raith we'd have been watching Corrie that night

I liked Brandon Barker a lot when he played for us but he seems to have featured little since he left us. Anyone know if he has had injuries? Seem to remember he was a player that suffered from hamstring injuries a lot, but might have just made that up.

2 goals in 20 app for PNE
    1 goal in 10 app for Rangers.

A season long loan for him might make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenCastle View Post
    Our issue in midfield was the balance.

Allan
    Mallan
    Hallberg
    Vela

Vela was just awful.

Allan and Mallan same role.
    Hallberg made to play CDM even though that’s not his best position.

We still don’t have a Bartley / Milligan replacement.
    Spot on. Balance should be the keyword for our entire recruitment drive for next season.

Even accounting for injuries, having 5 right backs and 1 left back on the books was absolute madness.

Left by mutual consent!
    Report today that Simon Murray has spoken to three Scottish Premiership clubs.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by supermcginn View Post
    I think it's obvious Ross doesn't rate him.
    It’s obvious Omeonga and Docherty are miles better.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibeesmad View Post
    Report today that Simon Murray has spoken to three Scottish Premiership clubs.
    So not hearts?

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by underscore View Post
    So not hearts?
    😂😂😂

Quote Originally Posted by 90+2 View Post
    It’s obvious Omeonga and Docherty are miles better.
    I agree.

Left by mutual consent!
    So not hearts?
    😁

@hibs.net private member offshorehibby's Avatar
    The Sun reporting Aberdeen interested in the guy Alex Gogic
    TOP CASH BACK
    The easy way to make money

Quote Originally Posted by Lago View Post
    I'm sure I read some where that Docherty doesn't want to leave rangers.
    I don't think he will get the choice Rangers are gonna have a clear out doubt he'll be in Gerrards plans

Quote Originally Posted by badabing67 View Post
    I don't think he will get the choice Rangers are gonna have a clear out doubt he'll be in Gerrards plans
    Hes under contract, he has the only say.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    Probably the single most pathetic thing that people continue to say about players on this board.
    peronally the minimum I expect is a bit of fight. Something I never seen from Brandon barker. Dipping his toe in, and pulling out of challenges was the norm for him.

So not hearts?
    Made me 😃

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    Yeah. But without Lewis' 2 assists against Raith we'd have been watching Corrie that night
    Indeed we would have