hibs.net Messageboard

Page 133 of 436 FirstFirst ... 3383123131132133134135143183233 ... LastLast
Results 3,961 to 3,990 of 13062
    @hibs.net private member
    https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.t...et-wright/amp/

Sorry if already posted. Whats the thoughts on this?

2. Log in to remove the advert

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by HendoDelivered View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

My thoughts are that the club know what they are doing on areas we need to stop or change and those we need to invest in.

It is happening at every club in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by 04Sauzee View Post
    Didn't take you long
    Stay on topic please

Didn't take you long
    Hes right though.

Coaching Staff
    He's not going for 50m but if McBurnie went for 17. 5m then McGinn is worth 25m easily, Tierney went for 25m
    Maybe 6 months ago, unfortunately times & his form have changed.

First Team Breakthrough EAZY-ME's Avatar

We cant pay what we cant afford and we're not alone..... the first team comes first so if that means cutting costs in order to be able to bring players in then so be it........ none of this is hibs fault and i reckon there's club's out there in a hell of a worse condition than hibs.....aberdeen have reportedly lost over 1 million per month.how accurate that is i don't know. The players will get theirs when the time is right

Summer 2020-21 transfer thread

Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    My thoughts are that the club know what they are doing on areas we need to stop or change and those we need to invest in.

It is happening at every club in the world.
    Exactly yet the media seem to over dramatise everything Hibs related!

Maybe even a more negative spin than there should be. I think it was mentioned by someone else but Budge and co paid for a manager and signed Gordon yet nothing negative about that from certain corners??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Aldo; 11-07-2020 at 11:48 AM.

Always thought bonuses in football were a bit of a cheek. Does a postie get a bonus for delivering a letter? I get it's an incentive but they should be trying to win anyway it's their job. That article is probably nonsense anyway but I fully trust the club to do what is needed.

First Team Breakthrough supershotmo's Avatar
    How much will Craig Gordon be on? Surely no less than Steven Naybrains or Richard Dreyfuss Jnr.

It's nobody's business what we decide to do in the transfer market.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthMoroccoStu View Post
    Hence why he has a Celtic clause in his contract

That why hearts didn’t sign him

Smart move from them
    The only Celtc clause that I'm aware of in Scottish football is the one that would allow them to sign Hearts mega-star Hickey at a substantial discount compared to other clubs.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    If Lewandowski went for free, Mcginn is worth -50m

No other transfer has any relevance on McGinn. Different clubs, different player, different circumstances.
    Lewandowski's transfer was 6 years ago, he was out of contract and it was in a different league. Complete false equivalence.

McBurnie to Sheffield United was one year ago, it was between a Championship club and a Premier League club, involving a Scottish international in his mid twenties. It broke the record transfer for a Scottish player (until Tierney broke it again) and is entirely relevant in estimating the market for McGinn - a mid twenties, Scottish international, under contract who'd likely be transferring from a Championship club to the Premier League.

Not the same, but definitely similar AND relevant.

Quote Originally Posted by Vault Boy View Post
    Lewandowski's transfer was 6 years ago, he was out of contract and it was in a different league. Complete false equivalence.

McBurnie to Sheffield United was one year ago, it was between a Championship club and a Premier League club, involving a Scottish international in his mid twenties. It broke the record transfer for a Scottish player (until Tierney broke it again) and is entirely relevant in estimating the market for McGinn - a mid twenties, Scottish international, under contract who'd likely be transferring from a Championship club to the Premier League.

Not the same, but definitely similar AND relevant.
    Do you think the negotiations involve lines like ''well, Ollie McBurnie moved for this much so McGinn moved for this much''?

Because if not, it really isn't in anyway relevant. Neymar and Mbappe are the transfers that massively inflated the market, they are kind of relevant. Not McBurnie. It has no bearing in the slightest.

Do you think the negotiations involve lines like ''well, Ollie McBurnie moved for this much so McGinn moved for this much''?

Because if not, it really isn't in anyway relevant. Neymar and Mbappe are the transfers that massively inflated the market, they are kind of relevant. Not McBurnie. It has no bearing in the slightest.
    Do you think they don't? It's not as direct as that, but of course other transfers in the same league are used as reference points for negotiations.

Ollie McBurnie was the most expensive Scottish international ever at one point last year, moving in similar circumstances to the similarly aged McGinn, that is definitely a fair point of comparison for 04Sauzee to make, but you jumped on their post making a bizzare false equivalent.

Anyway, back to the point that McGinn's potential transfer would be a significant windfall for Hibs...

Stay on topic please

Quote Originally Posted by Vault Boy View Post
    Do you think they don't? It's not as direct as that, but of course other transfers in the same league are used as reference points for negotiations.

Ollie McBurnie was the most expensive Scottish international ever at one point last year, moving in similar circumstances to the similarly aged McGinn, that is definitely a fair point of comparison for 04Sauzee to make, but you jumped on their post making a bizzare false equivalent.

Anyway, back to the point that McGinn's potential transfer would be a significant windfall for Hibs...
    McBurnie hadn’t played in the premiership so there’s not really any comparison. Anyway whatever your thoughts on how much McGinn will leave for(certainly nowhere near £18m as getting promoted is worth a lot more than that to Villa), Grealish will definitely not be leaving them for anything less than £50 million because he’s English

Testimonial Due

I don’t like that the club is making signings whilst cutting back wages and numbers on current staff!

However, everybody else is doing the exact same and if we don’t we are likely to be poor next season having already lost some players and potentially losing more. If we lost 1 or 2 first team regulars to cash in then I would be genuinely concerned about relegation which would result in even more losses, potentially fatal.

Of course these actions open the club up to criticism but it is what it is.

In summary, it’s not great and in an ideal world it wouldn’t happen, but I don’t see how we have any other option.

West Ham won, Watford 2-1 up with 5 mins lest. Aston Villa are all but down.

Quote Originally Posted by hibee62 View Post
    I don’t like that the club is making signings whilst cutting back wages and numbers on current staff!

However, everybody else is doing the exact same and if we don’t we are likely to be poor next season having already lost some players and potentially losing more. If we lost 1 or 2 first team regulars to cash in then I would be genuinely concerned about relegation which would result in even more losses, potentially fatal.

Of course these actions open the club up to criticism but it is what it is.

In summary, it’s not great and in an ideal world it wouldn’t happen, but I don’t see how we have any other option.
    Although not a perfect analogy, many companies will be reducing their business to core activities just now. So they may be laying off ancillary staff but still investing in new machinery or equipment to help boost the productivity of the firm. Closing the canteen to save money but upgrading the machinery so to say.

Not particularly PC to equate new players to new machinery but there is a correlation. I am sure that the current players can see that the new ones fill gaps in the squad so will be OK with them joining.

Previous transfers have huge relevance to future transfers, if nothing else they will be used by agents in negotiations with clubs.

Transfers are all about market valuations (perhaps with the exception of Messi, Beckham, Ronaldo etc, where commercial value is just as big a consideration).

In the same way, as a house valuation looks at sold house prices, a transfer market valuation works by looking at the "market" ie other transfers.

Quote Originally Posted by King Arthur View Post
    West Ham won, Watford 2-1 up with 5 mins lest. Aston Villa are all but down.
    Yep. If Villa stayed up then I would have thought that it would take £30m+ to prise SJM from them.

Relegation probably reduces that to under £20m but hopefully with a decent sell on clause. Hopefully meaning that we would get something from any future sale as well as his next move.

Quote Originally Posted by Tug Wilson View Post
    Yep. If Villa stayed up then I would have thought that it would take £30m+ to prise SJM from them.

Relegation probably reduces that to under £20m but hopefully with a decent sell on clause. Hopefully meaning that we would get something from any future sale as well as his next move.
    They'll get a fair whack for Grealish, no way will the punt McGinn on the cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip shop Joe View Post
    Previous transfers have huge relevance to future transfers, if nothing else they will be used by agents in negotiations with clubs.

Transfers are all about market valuations (perhaps with the exception of Messi, Beckham, Ronaldo etc, where commercial value is just as big a consideration).

In the same way, as a house valuation looks at sold house prices, a transfer market valuation works by looking at the "market" ie other transfers.
    Yes, the market as a whole. Not Ollie McBurnie to Sheffield United.

@hibs.net private member
    A couple guys on the bounce seem to think we are after Stephen O’Donnell.

Yes, the market as a whole. Not Ollie McBurnie to Sheffield United.
    I would Suggest that McBurnie and McGinn have far more in common than Lewandowski and McGinn!

Quote Originally Posted by King Arthur View Post
    They'll get a fair whack for Grealish, no way will the punt McGinn on the cheap.
    Good point. Villa might even look to hold on to McGinn to push for promotion next season.

His comments on Sportsound suggested to me this could be correct! I thought he hinted that Hibs may be a potential destination for him

We are. If James finalises his move back to England it's a goer.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Marvin View Post
    His comments on Sportsound suggested to me this could be correct! I thought he hinted that Hibs may be a potential destination for him

How many RB's do we need?

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee Marvin View Post
    I know he’s really popular but he’s not for me, I think he’s a big huddy. For the money he’d likely cost I’d rather we looked elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    How many RB's do we need?
    Maybe McGinn being used as a centre back this season or moved on