hibs.net Messageboard

Page 102 of 436 FirstFirst ... 25292100101102103104112152202 ... LastLast
Results 3,031 to 3,060 of 13062
    Just had a text off a mate saying supposedly we’re interested in Jonathan Afolabi on Loan from Celtic.

Young striker that can play off the left, think they’ve high hopes for him.

Unsure how true it is but thought I’d share, anyone heard similar?

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Franck Stanton View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Given the financial constraints we currently operate under, would be happy with the squad we have with the addition of Wright, Gogic & Nisbet. Two of the additions would not require transfer fees, & Nisbet, imo, is an investment as if he performs as well in the premier league, will make us big bucks.
    Do we not still have Tim Clancy’s treatment table in a cupboard somewhere?

He’s probably still on it.

Given the financial constraints we currently operate under, would be happy with the squad we have with the addition of Wright, Gogic & Nisbet. Two of the additions would not require transfer fees, & Nisbet, imo, is an investment as if he performs as well in the premier league, will make us big bucks.
    The more I think about it, the more I think they’d be 3 cracking signings.

They are types of player we need. They’ve done well at smaller clubs and deserve a chance to see if they can raise their game.

3 solid signings like that deal with obvious deficiencies and we can supplement them with some younger players getting a chance to fill the squad.

If we’re around mid table by January, we could do our traditional good business then to push for top 4. We might know about more our medium term financial prospects in January.

Left by mutual consent!
    We are extremely short up front. We badly need a striker.

Quote Originally Posted by Robbo6-2 View Post
    We are extremely short up front. We badly need a striker.
    We badly need about 7 players

@hibs.net private member Heisenberg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Unseen work View Post
    Just had a text off a mate saying supposedly we’re interested in Jonathan Afolabi on Loan from Celtic.

Would rather give Gullan a chance.

That would be a grim window imo. I appreciate these are difficult economic circumstances but everyone’s in the same boat. I’d take gogic i see why we’re after him, nisbet is a prospect but i find drey wright an extremely underwhelming signing. If that’s our only summer additions to replace mcnulty, omeonga, docherty, naismith, bogdan, slivka and whittaker i would be very concerned.

Lets not forget this is Hibs we’re talking about. Without having delusions of grandeur, we’re better than that.

Quote Originally Posted by S4uzee View Post
    We ain’t getting that. Most teams will have a smaller squad this year and young players will get a chance. We’ll be the same. I think we’ll get about four. They need to be first name on the team sheet tho signings, not squad fillers.

Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    We ain’t getting that. Most teams will have a smaller squad this year and young players will get a chance. We’ll be the same. I think we’ll get about four. They need to be first name on the team sheet tho signings, not squad fillers.
    Without knowing if any players will be sold or moved on its difficult to say if we will get 4 or 7 players in, id imagine we may do some wheeling and dealing to try and ballance the squad.

@hibs.net private member
    I wouldn't want 7 players unless we see a lot of departures.

We need 3 real quality players to come straight into the starting XI. The rest of the squad can be supplemented with younger players.

Quote Originally Posted by 04Sauzee View Post
    Without knowing if any players will be sold or moved on its difficult to say if we will get 4 or 7 players in, id imagine we may do some wheeling and dealing to try and ballance the squad.
    Would agree with that. If we’re talking about squad size though, I think it’ll only be three or four bigger than it is now.

We won’t sign a defender unless we move one on IMO. We’ll sign a midfielder. We are signing a wide player. We’ll move Kamberi on and sign a striker. Not convinced we’ll sign another beyond that. Possibly a back up goalie.

Although we have a lot of defenders on paper

Gray
    Mcgregor
    Porteous

Are all injury prone and were unsure how they’ll recover which leaves us with

McGinn
    James - likely time be moved on
    Jackson
    Hanlon
    Stevenson
    Mackie

Which isn’t the best, if everyone is fit then brilliant but it’s not been that way for a while. It’s a bit of a mess imo with unbalanced we are and having older players on long term contracts. I imagine this also adds to wanting Gogic as he can cover at the back.

Also worth noticing Ben Stirling has been promoted to the first team on the official website, could this be his year? Got to say I would class him as a centre mid personally.

Left by mutual consent!
    Ben Sterling impressed in some of the pre season games last year but I was surprised he couldn't really get a game for Arbroath last year.

Folk are saying Mackie not good enough but he played most games for Dundee when fit.

Although we have a lot of defenders on paper

Gray
    Mcgregor
    Porteous

Are all injury prone and were unsure how they’ll recover which leaves us with

McGinn
    James - likely time be moved on
    Jackson
    Hanlon
    Stevenson
    Mackie

Which isn’t the best, if everyone is fit then brilliant but it’s not been that way for a while. It’s a bit of a mess imo with unbalanced we are and having older players on long term contracts. I imagine this also adds to wanting Gogic as he can cover at the back.

Also worth noticing Ben Stirling has been promoted to the first team on the official website, could this be his year? Got to say I would class him as a centre mid personally.
    Agree with some of the points you make but the problem we have is that they’re all contracted. Not sure we can give out more contracts to defenders without any of those moving on. James is the obvious one but is he going to get a better deal than the two years he has left with us?

Not sure about Stirling. 22 next month and never really threatened to break in to the team so unlikely I think.

Quote Originally Posted by neil7908 View Post
    I wouldn't want 7 players unless we see a lot of departures.

We need 3 real quality players to come straight into the starting XI. The rest of the squad can be supplemented with younger players.
    Agreed, that's the route i think we, and most others, will go down.

I think we will get 3, maybe 4 and the squad will be bulked up with youths.

Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    Agree with some of the points you make but the problem we have is that they’re all contracted. Not sure we can give out more contracts to defenders without any of those moving on. James is the obvious one but is he going to get a better deal than the two years he has left with us?

Not sure about Stirling. 22 next month and never really threatened to break in to the team so unlikely I think.
    If your 22 and can’t get a game for Arbroath then your not ready to play for Hibs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It still amazes me that our recruitment team thought Tom James was worth a 3 year deal.

What were they thinking? Lots of chat last season from Graeme Mathie about wanting to get players on long term deals, you've got to get it right though and not just hand them out to everyone you sign.

Now puts us in a worse position relative to some other sides during this pandemic as we are stuck paying more wages with potentially less opportunity to snap up bargains that may arise between now and season starting.

@hibs.net private member SteveHFC's Avatar

Would rather give Shanley a chance than sign Celtic youngsters on loan.
    Less talk, more gifs. 21.05.16

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibee Mac View Post
    It still amazes me that our recruitment team thought Tom James was worth a 3 year deal.

What were they thinking? Lots of chat last season from Graeme Mathie about wanting to get players on long term deals, you've got to get it right though and not just hand them out to everyone you sign.

Now puts us in a worse position relative to some other sides during this pandemic as we are stuck paying more wages with potentially less opportunity to snap up bargains that may arise between now and season starting.
    Tom James 3 year contract is probably our worst piece of business for years.

Slow, ponderous, poor technically and defensively.

Could tell right away he was never gonna be good enough.

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveHFC View Post
    Would rather give Shanley a chance than sign Celtic youngsters on loan.
    Loan system has worked well for us from Celtic in recent years.

Let’s face it, there’s a pretty good chance this guy won’t make it at Celtic, very few players do. If he comes to us and does well we’d probably have a decent chance of either extending his loan or signing him when he leaves Celtic.

If Shanley is better than him he’ll need to prove it in training and take any chance he’s given.

The circus across the road has been a bit of a distraction up until now but it is imperative that we strengthen otherwise we will struggle to find consistency. I personally hope we also give youth a chance but we need some good pros to come in and do a decent job for us. I thought Milligan did a decent job when he came in and I wouldn’t mind a similar signing to steady the ship and allow out better players to perform around him.

Until the current squad are sorted out with wage deferrals/cuts situation we aren't going to be bringing in new faces.

Also, until it is sorted out we aren't going to know who is staying so hard to know what we'll need.

Really need to get to agreements one way or another. Take the cut or best wishes for the future.

You can see logic in the following:-

Kamberi sold - last year in contract and his comments - we get £150k
    Boyle sold - last year in contract and we get up to £1m.
    James - moves on - a free if he can secure move

Gogic - the defensive steel we have been missing and knows the league and would be a fans favorite
    Nisbet - replaces Kamberi and we say spend £200k, plenty of potential.
    Wright - replaces Boyle and has a chance to make a big mark. But we will miss Boyle consistency and goals and his ability to play upfront.

So we are up financially and while Boyle is a huge loss we will have improved elsewhere. With Gullen given his chance and the squad supplemented by more younger players to keep numbers tight then we would be good to go.

Quote Originally Posted by MacGruber View Post
    Until the current squad are sorted out with wage deferrals/cuts situation we aren't going to be bringing in new faces.

Also, until it is sorted out we aren't going to know who is staying so hard to know what we'll need.

Really need to get to agreements one way or another. Take the cut or best wishes for the future.
    Best wishes for the future might not work if they don’t have someone else willing to match the contract they have here. Which will be the case for most of them IMO.

He's not. His technical ability is good and he is comfortable on either foot. He cannot or will not tackle an opponent which is his biggest downfall.
    McGinn and Gray will play ahead of him, so unless he can offer anything in midfield he would be not be making it into the side as a defender.

I thought he was alright before his injury. Scored a peach against someone. Was put back in when he clearly wasn't ready and was hung out to dry. Must have destroyed his confidence and you could see it. Actually felt sorry for him. Personally feel he hasn't had a good crack of the whip yet. Look how long it took Doidge and Newell to settle. Dury still out for me and willing to give the boy a chance.
    Last edited by Since452; 07-07-2020 at 05:41 AM.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar

I think you're being hard there. I think he could well fit in nicely given a run in a team on decent form.

Quote Originally Posted by EVENTUALLY View Post
    He's not. His technical ability is good and he is comfortable on either foot. He cannot or will not tackle an opponent which is his biggest downfall.
    McGinn and Gray will play ahead of him, so unless he can offer anything in midfield he would be not be making it into the side as a defender.
    Agree with you on his technical ability, think he is very good in that respect. More than comfortable on either foot and can spray passes at ease, also makes very intelligent passes and has a good strike as he showed pre season.

But when we signed him I thought we were getting a high energy, technically good full back that would contribute a lot of assists and goals. Unfortunately it turns out he’s the opposite and is so lacklustre it’s frightening.

Hes poor defensively and never gets proper tight to his man or puts in a challenge.

He is still young and has potential but he would have to up his energy massively to turn it around for us.

Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    I think you're being hard there. I think he could well fit in nicely given a run in a team on decent form.
    He might do ok not playing in front of fans.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    If your 22 and can’t get a game for Arbroath then your not ready to play for Hibs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    At much the same age Martin Boyle couldn't get a game for a Championship club!