hibs.net Messageboard

Page 249 of 436 FirstFirst ... 149199239247248249250251259299349 ... LastLast
Results 7,441 to 7,470 of 13062
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuart93 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Wasn’t it just the season before Mallan also scored a decent number of goals and contributed a good number of assists for the team? As well as winning player of the year?

I’m not saying Mallan should be a starter ahead of Allan but he needs another chance imo
    Maybe if he can get himself fit he will get one.

Horgan is an example. This time last week I don’t think many people were picking him in their team for Livingston. Came in, did well, started the next game. There will definitely be opportunities for players this year with our smaller squad.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Wasn’t it just the season before Mallan also scored a decent number of goals and contributed a good number of assists for the team? As well as winning player of the year?

I’m not saying Mallan should be a starter ahead of Allan but he needs another chance imo
    I am not against or anti Mallan at all. He’s a decent player on his day. In my opinion Allan is the better number ten by country mile. Maybe Mallan could be used more with Gogic there to defend. Mallan is not a holding midfielder that’s where hecky screwed him and the balance of the team when releasing Marv and Milligan

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by Juniper Greens View Post
    Any news on keepers? Could do with a safe pair of hands on the bench with dabrowski maybe going on loan to a championship club like alloa or hearts. Only been tested at L2 level, and we know rocky can get complacent when the competition isn't strong
    Noticed on SPFL site that Craig Samson is listed in the squad numbers. So, would say we are sticking with Rocky & Dabrowski, with Samson registered in a real emergency.

@hibs.net private member SouthMoroccoStu's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    Brazilian Ronaldo the greatest player to have played the game in my opinion. Pace, power, skill had everything. Injuries finished him but wow what a phenomenon he was.
    Pre Injuries and night clubs absolutely

@hibs.net private member NorthNorfolkHFC's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: walton83
    Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    Allan started the first match and we won. How can you see he needs to add more to his game if he is to start. He started all last season and the first game of this one.

I think the overreaction to a guy being out for 2 away matches is way too much.
    It’s not an over reaction. It’s an observation.

We were shaky against Killie, Scott gave the ball away countless times in midfield that put us under undue pressure. I know he created the goal but we are more secure when he doesn’t play, at the moment.

If Scott wants to start, he’ll have to play better and contribute more. I really hope that happens as he is probably the most technically gifted in our squad.

But I guess that management have already made that call and perhaps had that same conversation with him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    "Putting a damp spoon back in the bowl is the tea-drinking equivalent of sharing a needle!"

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    Posts like this about Allan are so over the top.

We won the first game, with Allan in the team. We were then good without him in the second. We then improved with him on the pitch in the third (drawing when he came on).

More to his game to start? I’d bet he’ll start the majority of our games this season and won’t be surprised to see him back in the team on Saturday.
    How is it over the top? It is a minor observation about our excellent start.

Calm down and take off the Allan tinted specs.

I hope he gets back in the team as he can do things others in the squad can’t.

"Putting a damp spoon back in the bowl is the tea-drinking equivalent of sharing a needle!"

Wonder if hibs would turn there attention to Ali McCann at st Johnstone or Campbell at Motherwell if the mccorie deal doesn’t happen

Quote Originally Posted by NorthNorfolkHFC View Post
    How is it over the top? It is a minor observation about our excellent start.

Calm down and take off the Allan tinted specs.

I hope he gets back in the team as he can do things others in the squad can’t.

You said Allan needs ‘a lot more to his game if he’s is to start games’.

That is over the top IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    Guys got 2 years left on his contract, cant just get rid.
    If hes such a good player surely clubs would be queuing up to snap him up then?

@hibs.net private member
    I think that’s what you were waiting on someone saying wasn’t it?

I wouldn’t say second choice but giving Mallan a chance to prove himself in his natural position wouldn’t be a bad idea
    I'm not sure attacking midfield is Mallan's natural position. I think in that role you need to be able to carry the ball and beat a man. I don't think SM has shown in his time at Hibs that he has that in his locker. No doubting his shooting ability though.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Testimonial Due
    Surely it's not a case of this guy or that guy in modern football. If you have Allan and Mallan, you have options both in the starting line up and to change things during the game. Stevie Mallan is an excellent player who has the ability to make an important contribution to our season.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by LeithMike View Post
    I'm not sure attacking midfield is Mallan's natural position. I think in that role you need to be able to carry the ball and beat a man. I don't think SM has shown in his time at Hibs that he has that in his locker. No doubting his shooting ability though.

I think that is Mallan's problem, no doubting his ability to strike a ball but if he's not a number 10 then what is his position as he ain't no defensive/holding midfielder or winger.....doesn't have the work rate to play a box to box. I think he's a good addition to the squad when fit but can only see him coming on for the last 25mins of a game to replace Allan, and thats only if we're playing 3-5-2. Hope he proves me wrong.
    Last edited by hibee-boys; 13-08-2020 at 05:15 PM.

Gamer IDs

You said Allan needs ‘a lot more to his game if he’s is to start games’.

That is over the top IMO.
    Ok, he needs to add ‘some’ more aspects to his game to be a starter under this manager. IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by sean04 View Post
    Wonder if hibs would turn there attention to Ali McCann at st Johnstone or Campbell at Motherwell if the mccorie deal doesn’t happen
    We should def be looking at these players.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by NorthNorfolkHFC View Post
    Ok, he needs to add ‘some’ more aspects to his game to be a starter under this manager. IMO.

Na. He needs to do what he’s good at better.

This manager has started him in at least 90% of the games he’s managed for us. Will go on to start the majority of games this season IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    We should def be looking at these players.

We should, both are worth north of 500k though, so I’d imagine we’d be priced out.

Quote Originally Posted by Leitherhibs View Post
    We should, both are worth north of 500k though, so I’d imagine we’d be priced out.
    Worth testing that valuation? Covid has been a strain on club finances so who knows? Both clubs may make more by selling to us with a sell on fee attached.

Quote Originally Posted by we are hibs View Post
    If hes such a good player surely clubs would be queuing up to snap him up then?

And if they're not, he has 2 years left with us, not a lot you can do unless you pay him off which won't happen. James is still here after being told he's surplus yet no one has snapped him up yet, again 2 years left on his deal, Hallberg is a decent player who will be needed during the season, it's up to him to force his way into the team.

Think quite a few are underestimating just what a good signing McCrorie would be.

For his age he has a good bit of experience, Loan spells with Ayr and Portsmouth where he got to the play off finals and obviously a good few games with rangers where he played in Europe. Also captain of the Scotland under 21s.

He would be a statement of real intent imo.

Mccann and Campbell are also very good players however both their clubs probably would want over 1 million for them. McCrorie is the same age as them and potentially be half the price.

Quote Originally Posted by hibee-boys View Post
    I think that is Mallan's problem, no doubting his ability to kick a ball but if he's not a number 10 then what is his position as he ain't no defensive/holding midfielder or winger.....doesn't have the work rate to play a box to box. I think he's a good addition to the squad when fit but can only see him coming on for the last 25mins of a game to replace Allan, and thats only if we're playing 3-5-2. Hope he proves me wrong.

Is he not just A midfielder, far too much emphasis on holding/attacking etc.

Left by mutual consent! KingPat4's Avatar
    Would not surprise me if Hearts were to sneak in with a bid and carrot of big wages for either Docherty or McCrorie.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    Worth testing that valuation? Covid has been a strain on club finances so who knows? Both clubs may make more by selling to us with a sell on fee attached.

We are not in a position to successfully bid for first team talent from Motherwell..out of our price range. The same for St Johnstone, only towards the end of his contract would that be an option.

Quote Originally Posted by Unseen work View Post
    Think quite a few are underestimating just what a good signing McCrorie would be.

For his age he has a good bit of experience, Loan spells with Ayr and Portsmouth where he got to the play off finals and obviously a good few games with rangers where he played in Europe. Also captain of the Scotland under 21s.

He would be a statement of real intent imo.

Mccann and Campbell are also very good players however both their clubs probably would want over 1 million for them. McCrorie is the same age as them and potentially be half the price.
    Agreed

McCrorie only turned 22 in March

15/16 Ayr Utd 15 appearances
    16/17 Dumbarton 9 appearances
    17/18 Rangers 24 appearances
    18/19 Rangers 30 appeaeances
    19/20 Portsmouth 23 appearances

In total 101 appearances with over half (54)being with Rangers and as I say only 22

Quote Originally Posted by KingPat4 View Post
    Would not surprise me if Hearts were to sneak in with a bid and carrot of big wages for either Docherty or McCrorie.
    They could sneak in with a bid but I get the impression (from Docherty at least) that they are looking to develop their career and would see English League One as being better from a financial and a development viewpoint than a season in the Scottish Championship. I also think that if McCrorie is willing to walk away from the team he supported with 2 years on his contract to get game time then its against better opposition than Arbroath (no offence to Arbroath).

Pal is a Portsmouth fan and speaks highly of McCrorie, but also framed it by saying "but we're only in League One so not sure how good he is." Important to note said pal is from a family of Celtic fans so knows SPFL standard.

Feel like this could be a classic case of a player we don't really know much about becoming seemingly essential the more bids that get rejected. If it happens - fantastic, fits the bill for what we should be looking at and could be a long term asset. If it doesn't, don't think we should worry too much about it because it can't have been right for us.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicho87 View Post
    I am not against or anti Mallan at all. He’s a decent player on his day. In my opinion Allan is the better number ten by country mile. Maybe Mallan could be used more with Gogic there to defend. Mallan is not a holding midfielder that’s where hecky screwed him and the balance of the team when releasing Marv and Milligan
    Lennon had him playing infront of the back 4, before we'd even heard of Paul Heckingbottom. There was no competition for attacking midfield at that time and he still didn't make it his own.

Mallan has a great shot, okay passing, good free kicks and technique. He doesn't really have much else. He could make a good impact but he is just as likely to make no impact IMO.

One of the ones I'd be fine with moving on if the right offer came in.

Gamer IDs

Na. He needs to do what he’s good at better.

This manager has started him in at least 90% of the games he’s managed for us. Will go on to start the majority of games this season IMO.
    Then IMO he will sit on bench more often than not.

Time will tell who is right. I sincerely hope you are.

Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    We are not in a position to successfully bid for first team talent from Motherwell..out of our price range. The same for St Johnstone, only towards the end of his contract would that be an option.
    I don’t think st Johnstone are in a great financial position. Rely heavily on away support

@hibs.net private member MagicSwirlingShip's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LeithMike View Post

The Mallan conundrum.

He is, in my opinion at his most effective when getting shots away from around the box and influencing play in attacking areas. When he was sitting deep in the “quarterback”’ type role he wasn’t affecting the game enough in the final third and isn’t strong defensively.

Think he would work well in Newells position in the current system with Gogic mopping up behind. Newells got the shirt at the minute though, rightly so. When SM returns from injury he will have to settle for a place on the bench and try to affect the game as much as he can in sub appearances

I have been following the Allan,Mallan and Newall discussion.Its a squad game over this long season so its a good problem fir Ross to wrestle with.Compare it to some of the mugs we have had in midfield over the years.