hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Left by mutual consent!

Questions about the EPL trying to restart their season

I've not really paid a lot of attention to this so apologies if it has all been answered, but is it just accepted that they could restart their season well after it was officially due to finish? What about issues like player contracts coming to an end? Are the huge number of foreign players in the English top flight all in the UK at present?

Looking at more specific health issues, how about players/staff who may have underlying conditions being expected to take part when we're still in such a precarious situation regarding Covid-19? Roy Hodgson for example is in his 70s and in the highest risk category. I also read an interview with Darren Fletcher who, while he's not got a club, said he wouldn't be able to play in the current climate due to his medical condition.
    Last edited by G B Young; 19-05-2020 at 08:01 AM.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Troy deeney has said he isn't going back for the time being.

I'm paraphrasing, but he basically said, I can't get my hair cut until July, but I can go for a header with 19 people?

He also expressed concerns about the higher bame mortality rate and what the epl was doing to protect its players. Said he got no answers, so he's staying home as family is more important to him than cash.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Onceinawhile View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

I'm paraphrasing, but he basically said, I can't get my hair cut until July, but I can go for a header with 19 people?

He also expressed concerns about the higher bame mortality rate and what the epl was doing to protect its players. Said he got no answers, so he's staying home as family is more important to him than cash.
    That's interesting. So is the implication that there's money to be made and the EPL are keen to exploit that opportunity even if players and staff may be worried about the health risks?

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Frankly, Watford haven’t got a hope of getting out of relegation trouble unless Troy Deeney plays.

So what does that say about sporting integrity?
    Last edited by jacomo; 19-05-2020 at 08:31 AM.

@hibs.net private member Callum_62's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Wii Code: 0083-4364-6418-4974
    Quote Originally Posted by jacomo View Post
    Frankly, Watford haven’t got a hope of getting out of relegation trouble unless Troy Deeney plays.

So what does that say about sporting integrity? JJ
    He should be a hero.

Its a valid point about haircuts though. Same with subs wearing masks in germany.....

Its all seems a bit of a mish mash of random things to give the appearance of 'safety'

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Callum_62 View Post
    He should be a hero.

Its a valid point about haircuts though. Same with subs wearing masks in germany.....

Its all seems a bit of a mish mash of random things to give the appearance of 'safety'

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk
    Not really unless the hairdresser is getting tested twice a week and is isolated at home apart from seeing you, like the players are

They should just call the bloody league make Liverpool champions. Not sure what they would do about relegation etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiberniankb View Post
    They should just call the bloody league make Liverpool champions. Not sure what they would do about relegation etc.
    They should just do the decent thing and relegate Hearts.

@hibs.net private member Bristolhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiberniankb View Post
    Same as here. Norwich and Villa down. No playoff as the Championship is done. Bournemouth survive.

Or, get Bournemouth launched and Fulham can come up as third place in the Championship.

J

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Future17 View Post
    A move I can get behind

Very few players that clubs will actually miss gonna be out of contract, Ryan Fraser is one of them.

I think its good they are trying to restart. Germans showing it is possible.
    Last edited by MWHIBBIES; 19-05-2020 at 12:45 PM.

I wonder how long it is before a player, their agent or even the obsequious PFA challenge this and refer if to the Health and Safety Executive as the league and the clubs are derelict in their duty of care to their employees health, safety and welfare by exposing them to a known risk

Quote Originally Posted by Future17 View Post

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by hibbyfraelibby View Post
    I wonder how long it is before a player, their agent or even the obsequious PFA challenge this and refer if to the Health and Safety Executive as the league and the clubs are derelict in their duty of care to their employees health, safety and welfare by exposing them to a known risk
    I'm sure the players will have better h and s that almost all of England that have been told to get back to work if can't work from home

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    Very few players that clubs will actually miss gonna be out of contract, Ryan Fraser is one of them.

They've not showed its possible yet imo. Only takes one player to get the virus and it'll come tumbling down like a pack of cards.

Hopefully doesn't happen as I'm desperate to get back to the football, but you never know.

Quote Originally Posted by Stairway 2 7 View Post
    I'm sure the players will have better h and s that almost all of England that have been told to get back to work if can't work from home
    ...told to get back to work has resulted in a spike in referals to the HSE in England...the only OOE that is being mandated in the EPL is shin guards!

6 positive tests from the first lot of mass testing in England.

Only from three clubs. Don't know if they only tested 3 clubs, or if there was only cases at three though.

@hibs.net private member
    All teams tested 800 people

@hibs.net private member Hibby70's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Hibby70
    Crown Liverpool champions
    relegate Villa, Norwich, Bournemouth and Hearts
    Villa then sell McGinn for £60m

Be happy with that.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Hull sent in a private letter, asking for the season to be declared null and void, and the letter gets leaked. So it’s not just in Scotland, these sort of things go on

Hull are 2 points above the automatic drop zone!!

Think the fun and games in the English Leagues are just about to start. Let’s see how they all handle this, after having a pop at the SPFL

Left by mutual consent!

Bundesliga: 'Bizarre, sterile and eerie'

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52696930

Not my idea of a worthwhile return to action. Personally I think all unfinished seasons should be called rather than go to the bother of staging these sort of 'ghost' matches. They bear little relation to the real thing.

Quote Originally Posted by G B Young View Post
    Bundesliga: 'Bizarre, sterile and eerie'

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52696930

Not my idea of a worthwhile return to action. Personally I think all unfinished seasons should be called rather than go to the bother of staging these sort of 'ghost' matches. They bear little relation to the real thing.
    It doesn't matter for this season.

They are still excellent football matches, just without the crowd for a month or two. We all fell in love with football playing it as kids with no crowd.

They are still excellent football matches, just without the crowd for a month or two. We all fell in love with football playing it as kids with no crowd.

I get that the lack of atmosphere is a bit weird but it's still the beautiful game.

Quote Originally Posted by JeMeSouviens View Post

I get that the lack of atmosphere is a bit weird but it's still the beautiful game.
    Like Hibs V Third lanark in 1962 !

Left by mutual consent!
    Sky reporting six positive Covid-19 tests across three EPL clubs.

Quote Originally Posted by JeMeSouviens View Post

Not ideal, but the Munich game was a decent watch on Sunday. The games will get better over the next couple of weeks ago. It’s better than watching Homes Under The Hammer or something like that.

Quite a few leagues returning over the next fortnight or so. Denmark, Poland, Austria, Czech Republic, Croatia and Slovakia off the top of my head.

Football can’t just stop until coronavirus is completely gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Onceinawhile View Post

I saw that earlier, does the last part of your post mean he's not getting paid?

Left by mutual consent!

Fair point. I guess it also depends how into football you are. Personally I couldn't tell you when I last watched a match which didn't involve Hibs and I might even think twice about watching them playing a closed doors match on TV.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    Not ideal, but the Munich game was a decent watch on Sunday. The games will get better over the next couple of weeks ago. It’s better than watching Homes Under The Hammer or something like that.

Quite a few leagues returning over the next fortnight or so. Denmark, Poland, Austria, Czech Republic, Croatia and Slovakia off the top of my head.

Football can’t just stop until coronavirus is completely gone.
    I agree, but there's an increasing number of people (on here and in the wider community) who are so ****-scared of this virus, they'd have the entire planet locked down until we can be guaranteed its gone for good.

I assume those tested positive haven't been in contact with their teammates, so it shouldn't derail the restart of the EPL?

Exactly, most of the matches were of a high standard and there's some cracking fixtures coming up at the weekend and Dortmund v munich a week tonight.