hibs.net Messageboard

 

Results 1 to 22 of 22
  1. #1

    Final League Table

    Whilst it is funny to laugh at Hearts and I have.

    Hibs tally of 37 points is poor and ending the season below Livvy, St Johnstone and Motherwell (which we have done often) is simply not good enough.

    We accuse Hearts fans of not looking closer to home we need to do that. We have taken steps with the new manager but really we should not just let this bang average season pass with no comment. Hearts terrible form has distracted many Hibs fans for our own short commings.

    The cup could have changed that we may never know.


  2. Log in to remove the advert

  3. #2
    Testimonial Due Hibee87's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Leith
    Posts
    2,537
    Gamer IDs

    PSN ID: hibee-87
    What's the league table since we since we sacked hecky? Surely that gives you a better reflection of where we currently are at.

  4. #3
    Testimonial Due JohnM1875's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    1,288
    Gamer IDs

    PSN ID: johnmac1875
    Don't think anyone would deny that this has been a really disappointing season.

    Think we've got a great manager in Ross though! And next season will be a considerable improvement.

    Looking forward to it already.

  5. #4
    Been a long season. Hecky was a mess, overseeing a poor squad of players. we should all be thankful that JR managed to get enough out of them to threaten a top 4 place and has got us to the SC semifinal. Overall, not too shabby.

  6. #5
    Testimonial Due hibby rae's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    polwarth
    Age
    36
    Posts
    1,654
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibee87 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What's the league table since we since we sacked hecky? Surely that gives you a better reflection of where we currently are at.
    I think we may have had the 4th best form under Ross? We might even have been 3rd best at one point.

  7. #6
    I think that there are few key things of note:

    1) First off Hecky was a train wreck of a manager and that in itself pretty much ruined any hope of a good season.
    2) Summer recruitment was yet again poor and I hope lessons have been learned. Too many duds and we've still not addressed a few key issues including defense and a cohesive midfield
    3) Jack Ross did pretty well in his time so far, he started very brightly, which I suspect was more to do with the lack of Hecky around, then results began to tail off a little towards the end, with particularly abysmal Home performances against Hearts and Rangers which no manager would want on their record. So a mixed bag really.

    Looking forward to next season and I'm confident Jack Ross can help us improve as I think he's shown in his time here he's a good manager who will hopefully build something going forward.

  8. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Onion View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Been a long season. Hecky was a mess, overseeing a poor squad of players. we should all be thankful that JR managed to get enough out of them to threaten a top 4 place and has got us to the SC semifinal. Overall, not too shabby.
    Sorry but you can't just look at the second half of the season. If Hearts had played us and Rangers every week they would have just about have been champions.

  9. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Sammy7nil View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Sorry but you can't just look at the second half of the season. If Hearts had played us and Rangers every week they would have just about have been champions.
    But if were judging our current manager we can only judge the time he has been in charge surely, otherwise we would be looking to change things that have already been changed and improved from the poor start to the season.

  10. #9
    First Team Breakthrough mcohibs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    295
    Quote Originally Posted by high bee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    But if were judging our current manager we can only judge the time he has been in charge surely, otherwise we would be looking to change things that have already been changed and improved from the poor start to the season.
    Think the poster means you can't just say that we were poor in the first half of the season because there were times in the second half under JR that we were just as poor.

  11. #10
    Ultimate Slaver Keith_M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Between a rock & a hard place
    Posts
    25,305
    Quote Originally Posted by Sammy7nil View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Whilst it is funny to laugh at Hearts and I have.

    Hibs tally of 37 points is poor and ending the season below Livvy, St Johnstone and Motherwell (which we have done often) is simply not good enough.

    We accuse Hearts fans of not looking closer to home we need to do that. We have taken steps with the new manager but really we should not just let this bang average season pass with no comment. Hearts terrible form has distracted many Hibs fans for our own short commings.

    The cup could have changed that we may never know.

    Taking the season overrall, I totally agree. However, Hibs took action and changed the manager, after which our form improved a bit.

    But you're right, we need to focus on how to improve and make sure we're challenging for Europe, instead of fighting for a top six place.

  12. #11
    I only want to say the Scottish Cup is in the bag... Sir David Gray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Age
    31
    Posts
    38,281
    Quote Originally Posted by hibby rae View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think we may have had the 4th best form under Ross? We might even have been 3rd best at one point.
    We had the 6th best points total under Ross although only 3 points worse off than the 3rd highest.

    The first third of the season was a total disaster, we definitely improved under Ross although the performance and result in the last derby was shocking.

    Massive room for improvement, finishing behind Livingston, even with 8 games left, is unacceptable.
    HIBERNIAN F.C. - SCOTTISH CUP WINNERS 2016

    21.05.2016

  13. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by mcohibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Think the poster means you can't just say that we were poor in the first half of the season because there were times in the second half under JR that we were just as poor.
    Agree with that point and I can understand the concern given how close to the wind we were sailing prior to JR. I do think we will have poor spells every season though given we are unlikely to challenge for the title.

    Opportunities to learn and improve but no root and branch required at the moment IMO as Id say those running our club have a good track record with a much higher ratio of good vs bad decisions.

    The point about being finishing behind St Johnstone etc only applies if we account for Heckys reign too. If JRs form is applied on an average points basis Im sure we would be 4th or thereabouts.
    Last edited by high bee; 18-05-2020 at 06:43 PM.

  14. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by high bee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    But if were judging our current manager we can only judge the time he has been in charge surely, otherwise we would be looking to change things that have already been changed and improved from the poor start to the season.
    You are correct to look at the current managers record but we should also look at the full season. Mistakes were made and lessons have to be learned. As another poster has said the end to the season could be described as shaky at best.

  15. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Sammy7nil View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You are correct to look at the current managers record but we should also look at the full season. Mistakes were made and lessons have to be learned. As another poster has said the end to the season could be described as shaky at best.
    Yes I can see your point, us and Hearts were terrible the first half of the season and we could easily have ended up in serious trouble had we recruited a different manager. Lets hope next season is a good one, outsiders can say what they want about the Scottish League but it takes no prisoners and relegation is only a couple of bad managers/transfer windows away.

  16. #15
    2 semi finals and 7th is an OK season imo.

    Not good enough in the league, but made up for in the cup

  17. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Onceinawhile View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    2 semi finals and 7th is an OK season imo.

    Not good enough in the league, but made up for in the cup
    Okay

  18. #17
    First Team Breakthrough mcohibs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    295
    Quote Originally Posted by high bee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Agree with that point and I can understand the concern given how close to the wind we were sailing prior to JR. I do think we will have poor spells every season though given we are unlikely to challenge for the title.

    Opportunities to learn and improve but no root and branch required at the moment IMO as Id say those running our club have a good track record with a much higher ratio of good vs bad decisions.

    The point about being finishing behind St Johnstone etc only applies if we account for Heckys reign too. If JRs form is applied on an average points basis Im sure we would be 4th or thereabouts.
    Fifth place if we'd had Ross' PPG ratio all season (1.38)

    We are definitely heading in the right direction under JR but a long way to go. As another poster said, that last derby performance was up there with the most gutless I've seen. Here's to a fresh start next season and let's kick on

  19. #18
    Testimonial Due Vini1875's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Glasgow
    Age
    56
    Posts
    1,965
    Quote Originally Posted by Onceinawhile View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    2 semi finals and 7th is an OK season imo.

    Not good enough in the league, but made up for in the cup
    And that I would suggest is what is wrong with some of our support. I hope the board don't think like this and I hope we start demanding more. We shouldn't be finishing behind Livi, St. Johnstone and Motherwell.

  20. #19
    @hibs.net private member Radium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    West Lothian
    Posts
    1,655
    Too many points lost from winning positions - 25 by my calculations.

    Good to see players coming good, particularly Dougie and Newell. Boyle coming back from injury.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  21. #20
    Under Hecky it was a shambles from the start and it was shocking he wasn't punted earlier as we were certainly heading for a relegation fight if he stayed longer term.

    Ross I think has done OK but not fantastic.
    - Disappointing defeats to Ross County and Livingston away from home. I seem to remember the Livingston game being an utter shambolic performance. Not one player looked arsed that day.
    - Disappointing draws at home to Killie, St. Mirren and Livingston. 3 home games which Hibs should always be winning in theory, however in the context of the season as a whole not really surprising results.
    - Aberdeen at home and Hearts away were impressive performances and results and I'll throw in Killie away also.
    - Poor versus Celtic and The Rangers, not to even lay a glove on The Rangers at home was also disappointing.
    - The utter shambles that was the derby at ER was completely unacceptable performance wise as was the defeat 4 days later at Aberdeen. I said before that game that if he lost the derby and the semi he could go for all I care but I guess we will never know what would have happened.

    January signings I wasn't over the moon with. Docherty for Kamberi was good business. Omeonga back was good but he hasn't done much really. McNulty I don't rate at all, and I think the majority would agree that he has been woeful. McGinn has been steady. They all felt like short term signings rather than long term which I guess is to be expected in many ways in January but overall we still need better if we want to be challenging for 3rd. Still waiting on a defensive midfielder ffs. The defence certainly needs an overhaul.


    So overall, a mixed bag, so he's done OK with what he has but not amazing. I'd like to see him get his own players in, and get rid of some of the dross. It might be more difficult to do that this summer but just need to wait and see. Jury is still out for me. Fresh start next season, whenever that may be.

    Overall for the season - disappointing, largely in part to Hecky and the recruitment team. Too many points lost from winning positions also.
    Last edited by Dazzling Doidge; 18-05-2020 at 08:35 PM.

  22. #21
    We were minutes away from going bottom of the league ourselves. I am just thankful we got Jack Ross instead of Stendel or similar and finished where we did.

    GGTTH

  23. #22
    @hibs.net private member Bishop Hibee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Leith Links
    Age
    53
    Posts
    7,021
    Real mixed bag. Hecky got absolutely nothing out of the signings he made. An absolute fraud. Jack Ross has made a better fist of it but weve had a few howlers like the last derby and the abject away defeat to Livi at Christmas. Boyle and Doidge have been the stand outs. Doidges form was as big an about turn as a vote from Dundee.

    If we can start the season in a more stable position financially than some of our rivals, we will be able to pick up some really good signings to strengthen the squad I think.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
hibs.net ©2012 All Rights Reserved