hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mice!

First Team Regular
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: maxsharktooth
    Quote Originally Posted by beensaidbefore View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Have them in my attic. Been using little nipper traps, old wooden style ones. I have had 100% hit rate so far. That's not to say some other may not have taken the bait, but every trap that has been triggered has had a mouse in. Around 15 so far. Down to about 1 a week so can live with that. I Ave baited them with raisins pushed onto the spike. I got 12 for 16 quid or something like that from ebay.

Started off taking then out the traps and cleaning them but after a couple of horror shows I have started binning the whole thing each time.

Pest control at work use bait tied in a sandwich bag, it's blue grain looking stuff, the mice sense it and chew through the bag thinking it's rice, pasta etc. When thy chew the bag it let's you know they have been there. Void flat at work one whole bad has been eaten which is in the hall cupboard, the bag in the kitchen hadn't been touched!
    The opposite of what I expected.

Look at the base of door frames and behind radiator pipes for entry holes.
    That's quite expensive for raisins, have you tried Asda?

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member .Sean.'s Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Me and my gf have a flat in Newhaven and we’ve had a couple. Few visits from Menco (?) soon sorted that.

My missus found a small dead one in the airing cupboard, which had died from the poison it must have ate in a neighbouring property, she was freaked out as the flats immaculate and she’s a clean freak..We never saw another one but after menco’s visit we found a few tiny blue droppings meaning they had been at the poison. Not seen anything since but it’s just par for the course and part and parcel of living in a city

On the other hand over the last month or so driving to work I’ve seen three rats on three different occasions running across the road between the Shell garage at seafield and just before the speed camera near that. Big ones aswell 🤮
    ''It's always been just part of the culture. Growing up, for most working-class kids, is all about football, music or clothes. You might not have much money, but whatever you have got, you're going to look good.'' - Paul Weller

Quote Originally Posted by 1875godsgift View Post
    That's quite expensive for raisins, have you tried Asda?
    I was told they were golden raisins. Do you think I've been done!

@hibs.net private member Peevemor's Avatar
    We have a rat that spends a lot of time in our composter. I honestly don't know if I should be concerned about this.

Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    We have a rat that spends a lot of time in our composter. I honestly don't know if I should be concerned about this.
    Friend of mine says he has quite often pulled dead rats from his compost heap. Why they've died I can't fathom but not a pleasant experience. For all the talk of mice being a much unwanted nuisance, rats are a whole different matter.

@hibs.net private member speedy_gonzales's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by G B Young View Post
    Friend of mine says he has quite often pulled dead rats from his compost heap. Why they've died I can't fathom but not a pleasant experience. For all the talk of mice being a much unwanted nuisance, rats are a whole different matter.
    Compost heaps, if active, will generate heat which will attract rodents, but they can also give off methane and carbon dioxide. Not unsurprising to find asphyxiated animals.

@hibs.net private member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    They often nest in places like that ....

Cheers for the advice folks, it’s greatly appreciated.

We’ve covered up any holes and as of yet there’s not been any sightings or noises coming from the floorboards.

I was in two minds about covering the holes up. I thought if we had decent traps we’d be able to get rid of them once and for all of that makes sense? We put poison down holes but I’m not sure if they’re eating it. My worry is they’re just doing what mice do and eventually some sort of mouse army is going to start invading our house!

So far so good. I know by sending this I’ve jinxed it!

Anyway I now have a different animal query that I’ll start a new thread for..!

Quote Originally Posted by LustForLeith View Post
    Cheers for the advice folks, it’s greatly appreciated.

We’ve covered up any holes and as of yet there’s not been any sightings or noises coming from the floorboards.

I was in two minds about covering the holes up. I thought if we had decent traps we’d be able to get rid of them once and for all of that makes sense? We put poison down holes but I’m not sure if they’re eating it. My worry is they’re just doing what mice do and eventually some sort of mouse army is going to start invading our house!

So far so good. I know by sending this I’ve jinxed it!

Anyway I now have a different animal query that I’ll start a new thread for..!
    Definitely the right move to block up the holes. If you've done so comprehensively and securely they won't be back. They're not masterminds and will simply move into somebody else's flat that's easier to access! But do keep any eye out for droppings in the meantime.