hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Abba

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar

Abba

Just watching an ABBA countdown on one of the music channels. They started off as a bit of a novelty act, but they really weren’t. They’re one of the few bands that have managed to transcend the generations and are probably more popular now than they were back then. Some of the figures around album sales and people who have watched the musical are truly unbelievable.
    What’s everyone’s favourite song?

United we stand here....

2. Log in to remove the advert

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    I posted about this on another thread a few weeks ago. I once watched a report on someone doing a PhD who wrote their thesis on Abba's music. I found it fascinating.

I've no idea what my favourite song is. There are quite a few on a par.

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    I was glad to reach a certain age back in the 70's early 80's when I didn't have to pretend not to like them as it was uncool. They've left a hell of a musical legacy.

I think there is still a real musical snobbery among some that sees pop songs dismissed without any real reasoning or critique as to why that should be so.

The Guardian are currently running a feature counting down the 100 best UK number 1s. Number 20 was Call Me Maybe by Carly Rae Jepsen. Immediately there was a deluge of criticism and moaning. Firstly it seems many had missed the point, the list wasn't an exhaustive list of the best UK songs ever, rather only those that had reached number 1 which eliminates a huge majority of songs ever written. Secondly the criticism seemed based on that fact it was 'sugary pop', 'cheesy', 'fodder for a hen party' and so on. Yes, it's meant to be and simply describing it as such doesn't actually explain why it's a bad song. It's well written, it's well performed and it was extremely popular. Job done and I'll add it's executed brilliantly and I'll unashamedly admit I love it.

I think people see their own musical taste as the defining factor in whether a song is good or not. It' s too easy to underestimate the skill required to compose and perform a song that has mass appeal that is cross generational. ABBA had that ability and then some, go to a wedding and wait for Dancing Queen to come on to see proof of that.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Summer Night City is probably my favourite, Dancing Queen must be a contender for best ever pop song.

'The Winner Takes It All' my favourite

@hibs.net private member BroxburnHibee's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CoolHibeesdaft PSN ID: Hibeesdaft
    Abba's music is incredibly complex. I read an article on it once where they described the way Mamma Mia was put together and it was incredible.

You think oh these 2 guys just threw it together on a couple of instruments (which may be true to begin with) but then to be able to add all the other components to produce incredibly and maybe irritatingly addictive songs it's just genius.

Their music lasts the test of time.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, vodka in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOO HOO what a ride!"

@hibs.net private member NORTHERNHIBBY's Avatar
    Plenty folk who don't like Abba and don't own any of their music, will know all the words to some of their songs. That's the sign of an important artist. My favourite is Knowing Me, Knowing You. The overlaying is genius.

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think there is still a real musical snobbery among some that sees pop songs dismissed without any real reasoning or critique as to why that should be so.

The Guardian are currently running a feature counting down the 100 best UK number 1s. Number 20 was Call Me Maybe by Carly Rae Jepsen. Immediately there was a deluge of criticism and moaning. Firstly it seems many had missed the point, the list wasn't an exhaustive list of the best UK songs ever, rather only those that had reached number 1 which eliminates a huge majority of songs ever written. Secondly the criticism seemed based on that fact it was 'sugary pop', 'cheesy', 'fodder for a hen party' and so on. Yes, it's meant to be and simply describing it as such doesn't actually explain why it's a bad song. It's well written, it's well performed and it was extremely popular. Job done and I'll add it's executed brilliantly and I'll unashamedly admit I love it.

I think people see their own musical taste as the defining factor in whether a song is good or not. It' s too easy to underestimate the skill required to compose and perform a song that has mass appeal that is cross generational. ABBA had that ability and then some, go to a wedding and wait for Dancing Queen to come on to see proof of that.
    Even though I've no idea who Carly Rae Jepsen is and I don't like any Abba songs I totally agree with you

@hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    There is an art to writing perfect pop that involves style, substance and sense. ABBA and the Bee Gees had it in spades. ‘The Winner Takes It All’ is sublime, melancholy and lingers in the ear.

The Guardian feature on British number ones is excellent. The article on Carly Rae Jepsen was great, as was the one on Kylie and ‘Can’t get you out of my head’. I have only been looking at it sporadically but I will be expecting to see Britney Spears in there too for ‘Baby One More Time’ as it is the epitome of perfect pop number one-ness. They will have to feature Cher and ‘Believe’ though, might skip that article.......
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

Getting away from Abba, making complicated music accessible and appear to be simple is a real gift that not everyone has.

Abba are masters, the BeeGees have also correctly been mentioned.

Madness, and more particularly Edinburgh born Mike Barson, were also excellent tunesmiths.

Here's Barson explaining the structure of "My Girl", In English, for French tv. I find it fascinating

https://youtu.be/dmSZ4gdv4KA

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar

Both my brothers in law are folk musicians and their levels of music snobbery are crazy. Unless it’s some stringy guitar with shrieked Gaelic accompanying it they don’t want to know.

Even worse are people who pretend experimental albums are a bands best work. I put anyone who says “Humbug” is the arctic monkeys best album in this category. It’s good and interesting, but the best? No way.

Going back to the subject, the scene in The Trip when they’re taking about ABBA is brilliant.

Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    Getting away from Abba, making complicated music accessible and appear to be simple is a real gift that not everyone has.

Abba are masters, the BeeGees have also correctly been mentioned.

Madness, and more particularly Edinburgh born Mike Barson, were also excellent tunesmiths.

Here's Barson explaining the structure of "My Girl", In English, for French tv. I find it fascinating

https://youtu.be/dmSZ4gdv4KA
    That’s a fantastic clip and really shows how ‘simple’ pop songs are actually very complicated and involve complex jumps from various key signatures.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

Quote Originally Posted by Mibbes Aye View Post
    That’s a fantastic clip and really shows how ‘simple’ pop songs are actually very complicated and involve complex jumps from various key signatures.
    And he was only about 19-20 when he wrote that.

And he was only about 19-20 when he wrote that.
    Wow! I used to have an understanding of composition, the theory of how it works and the structure,, but never the talent or skill or imagination to actually compose. Great watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    Both my brothers in law are folk musicians and their levels of music snobbery are crazy. Unless it’s some stringy guitar with shrieked Gaelic accompanying it they don’t want to know.

Even worse are people who pretend experimental albums are a bands best work. I put anyone who says “Humbug” is the arctic monkeys best album in this category. It’s good and interesting, but the best? No way.

Going back to the subject, the scene in The Trip when they’re taking about ABBA is brilliant.
    Folkie prima donnas are the worst and I've known loads of them - basically because it can be quiet easy to gain a bit of notoriety in relatively small circles.

Although there was definitely a "gaelic mafia" in Edinburgh for a while, it was musicians that bothered me more than the singers.

I could tell a few stories with some cracking put-downs but it'll take too long.

In general I find that the best musicians are into exchanging & sharing music instead of just wanting to be looked at or listened to.

Wow! I used to have an understanding of composition, the theory of how it works and the structure,, but never the talent or skill or imagination to actually compose. Great watch.
    That's the point, there are some things you can't teach/learn. Some people just have it.

That's the point, there are some things you can't teach/learn. Some people just have it.
    Yeah, my line of work isn’t in the arts, that’s for sure, my initial mentor played tennis, and she said that it was a good metaphor. You could learn to be good at it but sometimes it was just instinct and you were naturally right for it and no training would ever better that.

Yeah, my line of work isn’t in the arts, that’s for sure, my initial mentor played tennis, and she said that it was a good metaphor. You could learn to be good at it but sometimes it was just instinct and you were naturally right for it and no training would ever better that.
    I think that's true for many things, natural talent is an essential.

Many moons ago a friend of mine was getting married and his fiance insisted they attend dance lessons for their 1st dance. He asked me to go along for moral support and she had a friend who would do likewise. I was hopeless, being able to dance is one thing I would love to be able to do but I can't. I could learn the steps but it was all so stilted and cumbersome. The teacher explained I had to 'feel the music'. Frankly he would have been as well telling me to 'use the force' because I had no idea how to do that then and still don't now. I understand the principle but actually translating that into something I could use to be a better dancer was impossible.

I suppose the same principle applies to playing an instrument or participating in sport. You can learn the basics but to be really good you have to have some kind of natural flair for it.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member GlesgaeHibby's Avatar
    Very clever songwriting. If pushed for a favourite I'd go for slippin through my fingers.

I think that's true for many things, natural talent is an essential.

Many moons ago a friend of mine was getting married and his fiance insisted they attend dance lessons for their 1st dance. He asked me to go along for moral support and she had a friend who would do likewise. I was hopeless, being able to dance is one thing I would love to be able to do but I can't. I could learn the steps but it was all so stilted and cumbersome. The teacher explained I had to 'feel the music'. Frankly he would have been as well telling me to 'use the force' because I had no idea how to do that then and still don't now. I understand the principle but actually translating that into something I could use to be a better dancer was impossible.

I suppose the same principle applies to playing an instrument or participating in sport. You can learn the basics but to be really good you have to have some kind of natural flair for it.
    Good analogy, you worded it more meaningfully than I had.

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    I still remember some of the 70's St Giles branch bus version of "Fernando". Scarred me for life travelling on that bus as a boy.

Abba’s Thank you for the Music tops my list. Beautifully written and performed.
    This is how it feels

And if you’re feeling down you can’t beat a gorge on Mamma Mia (movie) to put a wee smile back on your face.

The opening song (I think), Honey Honey, sets you up for the rest.

Great fun. Great songs.
    Last edited by Hibby Bairn; 19-05-2020 at 02:21 PM.

@hibs.net private member weecounty hibby's Avatar
    I am a huge heavy metal/rock fan and I have to say it's hard to hear an ABBA sing without tapping your feet and singing along. Although if caught u would deny it all day long. 🤘🤘🤘

@hibs.net private member lapsedhibee's Avatar
    Pretty surprised at the love for Abba on here considering Our Last Summer, about football fans being dull.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    A band I absolutely despise - I'll genuinely leave the room when one of their songs inevitably comes on at a wedding or function. Especially 'Dancing Queen', 'Mamma Mia' or 'Waterloo'. I swear it's like a killswitch - I have such a visceral reaction to them! Having said that, I don't think it's the music per se - more the fact that their music has become synonymous with ***** parties in West Central Scotland...

I would never call them ***** - their music is actually very well composed - I just bloody hate them.

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylar View Post
    A band I absolutely despise - I'll genuinely leave the room when one of their songs inevitably comes on at a wedding or function. Especially 'Dancing Queen', 'Mamma Mia' or 'Waterloo'. I swear it's like a killswitch - I have such a visceral reaction to them! Having said that, I don't think it's the music per se - more the fact that their music has become synonymous with ***** parties in West Central Scotland...

I would never call them ***** - their music is actually very well composed - I just bloody hate them.
    Yep that's where I'm at. Never liked them in the first place but when a neighbour was having a leaving party in their flat and played Abba's Greatest Hits on repeat from 10pm through till 5 in the morning, that was that.

There is an art to writing perfect pop that involves style, substance and sense. ABBA and the Bee Gees had it in spades. ‘The Winner Takes It All’ is sublime, melancholy and lingers in the ear.

The Guardian feature on British number ones is excellent. The article on Carly Rae Jepsen was great, as was the one on Kylie and ‘Can’t get you out of my head’. I have only been looking at it sporadically but I will be expecting to see Britney Spears in there too for ‘Baby One More Time’ as it is the epitome of perfect pop number one-ness. They will have to feature Cher and ‘Believe’ though, might skip that article.......
    I heard "Oops I did it again" on the radio this morning - has to be the most abbaesque song ever - certainly the chorus.

No Dancing Queen fans then?

Got to love those descending piano chords.