hibs.net Messageboard

 

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 31 to 45 of 45
  1. #31
    @hibs.net private member stantonhibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Corstorphine
    Age
    53
    Posts
    2,118
    Quote Originally Posted by G B Young View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    There must be a good chance you can spot yourself among the that band of celebrating Hibs fans!
    I'm pretty sure I was in the main stand that day....think we got an allocation there back then


  2. Log in to remove the advert

  3. #32
    @hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Sleepy Hollow
    Posts
    9,836
    Quote Originally Posted by G B Young View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I was there. First time I've seen the goals for a long time.

    What a classy player Brian Rice was. And Durie was a great signing. A cracking young striker before injury hampered him badly. Shame we had only had him for a short time.
    Juke Box was the real deal power electric pace strength good in the air went on to have a cracking career after he left us 43 Scotland caps 7 goals including one that sent us to the World Cup 1998 second division championship with Chelsea seven SPL titles and a Scottish Cup winners medal in which he scored a hat-trick versus Hearts

    Always got the feeling HIBS were looking to cash in despite as you say injury problems

  4. #33
    @hibs.net private member O'Rourke3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    4,292
    Bob Valentine as Ref. Total Hun. Even in those highlights, two pens and one booking not given.

  5. #34
    @hibs.net private member Iggy Pope's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Neu Reekie
    Age
    57
    Posts
    8,904
    Quote Originally Posted by stantonhibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm pretty sure I was in the main stand that day....think we got an allocation there back then
    Me too. A hellish place to get out of at full time.

  6. #35
    Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Juke Box was the real deal power electric pace strength good in the air went on to have a cracking career after he left us 43 Scotland caps 7 goals including one that sent us to the World Cup 1998 second division championship with Chelsea seven SPL titles and a Scottish Cup winners medal in which he scored a hat-trick versus Hearts

    Always got the feeling HIBS were looking to cash in despite as you say injury problems
    In his first season, he looked promising and could shift but I recall him coming back from the close season much faster. He was the perfect foil for Stevie Cowan in '85-86, as Stevie was a great finisher but wasn't the most mobile (!).

    Would it be fair to say we didn't use Jukebox's transfer fee to its greatest potential? If I've got this right we signed Kirkwood, Beedie, Caughey, Willie Irvine Mark 2, and Beastie McCluskey in the close season of '86. From that lot, I'd say only Beastie could be considered a real success.

  7. #36
    @hibs.net private member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Liverpool
    Age
    57
    Posts
    2,470
    Quote Originally Posted by SideBurns View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    In his first season, he looked promising and could shift but I recall him coming back from the close season much faster. He was the perfect foil for Stevie Cowan in '85-86, as Stevie was a great finisher but wasn't the most mobile (!).

    Would it be fair to say we didn't use Jukebox's transfer fee to its greatest potential? If I've got this right we signed Kirkwood, Beedie, Caughey, Willie Irvine Mark 2, and Beastie McCluskey in the close season of '86. From that lot, I'd say only Beastie could be considered a real success.
    Willie Irvine 2 had a very decent record before coming to Hibs. Am I right in recalling him scoring a hatrick against Chelsea in a preseason friendly and I thought we had a great striker but he didnt seem to kick in from there or get much game time

  8. #37
    @hibs.net private member
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    8,556
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Scorrie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Willie Irvine 2 had a very decent record before coming to Hibs. Am I right in recalling him scoring a hatrick against Chelsea in a preseason friendly and I thought we had a great striker but he didnt seem to kick in from there or get much game time
    Yeah,he had scored 1 in every 2 games for Stirling Albion....albeit that seems to have been his level, as he did the same throughout his career at that level....think he only played about 15 times for us...lacked pace perhaps


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  9. #38
    @hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Sleepy Hollow
    Posts
    9,836
    Quote Originally Posted by SideBurns View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    In his first season, he looked promising and could shift but I recall him coming back from the close season much faster. He was the perfect foil for Stevie Cowan in '85-86, as Stevie was a great finisher but wasn't the most mobile (!).

    Would it be fair to say we didn't use Jukebox's transfer fee to its greatest potential? If I've got this right we signed Kirkwood, Beedie, Caughey, Willie Irvine Mark 2, and Beastie McCluskey in the close season of '86. From that lot, I'd say only Beastie could be considered a real success.
    In his first preseason with us after signing from East Fife HIBS got him a sprint coach and worked on his upper body strength and he was like a totally different player same guy but better quicker faster stronger as you say laying the ball on a plate for Stevie Cowan.

  10. #39
    @hibs.net private member malcolm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    62
    Posts
    680
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Juke Box was the real deal power electric pace strength good in the air went on to have a cracking career after he left us 43 Scotland caps 7 goals including one that sent us to the World Cup 1998 second division championship with Chelsea seven SPL titles and a Scottish Cup winners medal in which he scored a hat-trick versus Hearts

    Always got the feeling HIBS were looking to cash in despite as you say injury problems
    Great player and not here long enough. I was in the tunnel at the end of the 4-3 game against Celtc and saw the players come in. Id missed the flurry of goals at the end but with the foot stamping I knew wed not lost but the thing that I remember the most was Durie literally screaming with delight .. I was disappointed a long time later when I realised that it was perhaps due at least in part to boyhood allegiances.

    Football and nostalgia - its not what it used to be but what you remember it was but thankfully also what you are reminded it was. Plaudits go to those who kept old VHS video tapes and transferred them to digital.

  11. #40
    Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    John Greig was a rubbish manager so they lost momentum to Aberdeen, Dundee Utd and Celtic. They don't like it when they can't act in a "triumphant" fashion so they walked away.
    Jock Wallace was their manager when we beat them there in 85. Greig quit in 83. The week after we beat them in Jan 85 I was the mascot at our home game against Dumbarton - we won 3-1 with goals from Durie, Sneddon (a header!) and Rice (a penalty).

  12. #41
    Solipsist Eyrie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    PDSBRE
    Posts
    8,971
    Quote Originally Posted by O'Rourke3 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Bob Valentine as Ref. Total Hun. Even in those highlights, two pens and one booking not given.
    Don't know about the father but his son was a Dundee fan.

    But back then, as now, the referees gave the Huns everything and Celtc everything except against the Huns.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

  13. #42
    Ultimate Slaver Keith_M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Between a rock & a hard place
    Posts
    25,305
    Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Wiki have Kanos goal as being at Easter Road as well funnily enough so nothing to update


  14. #43
    @hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Sleepy Hollow
    Posts
    9,836
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith_M View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Was not being an arse the only reason I knew was because I have just covered the game on the “on this day in history thread”

    Still ma pal?

  15. #44
    @hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Sleepy Hollow
    Posts
    9,836
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolm View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Great player and not here long enough. I was in the tunnel at the end of the 4-3 game against Celtc and saw the players come in. Id missed the flurry of goals at the end but with the foot stamping I knew wed not lost but the thing that I remember the most was Durie literally screaming with delight .. I was disappointed a long time later when I realised that it was perhaps due at least in part to boyhood allegiances.

    Football and nostalgia - its not what it used to be but what you remember it was but thankfully also what you are reminded it was. Plaudits go to those who kept old VHS video tapes and transferred them to digital.
    IIRC there was a Video shop in Haymarket doing a roaring trade in copies of the full ninety minutes TV cameras were banned and they set up a camera above the tunnel still got mine shows the Celtic typical pitch invasion at the end when they got beat.

  16. #45
    @hibs.net private member Kato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Paris
    Age
    59
    Posts
    7,815
    Quote Originally Posted by Superfurry72 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Jock Wallace was their manager when we beat them there in 85. Greig quit in 83. The week after we beat them in Jan 85 I was the mascot at our home game against Dumbarton - we won 3-1 with goals from Durie, Sneddon (a header!) and Rice (a penalty).
    My point was it was while Greig was manager they became really rotten and lost momentum.

    Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
hibs.net ©2012 All Rights Reserved