hibs.net Messageboard

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    @hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    Just in relation to the last several posts, for anyone who has never tried it. Growing your own herbs isn't hard work but not necessarily successful all the time. The satisfaction when it does work is pretty immense though, and there are many that can be done from the windowsill should you lack garden space.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mibbes Aye View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Just in relation to the last several posts, for anyone who has never tried it. Growing your own herbs isn't hard work but not necessarily successful all the time. The satisfaction when it does work is pretty immense though, and there are many that can be done from the windowsill should you lack garden space.
    Chives are great....not only do they look after themselves and only spread gradually if you donít use them for cooking they make a great little border plant with nice elegant purple flowers on a tall stem. They are in flower now and once done can be given a quick snip to encourage them to grow and bloom again later in the year.

Super hardy as well so will come back year after year no bother at all.

@hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RyeSloan View Post
    Chives are great....not only do they look after themselves and only spread gradually if you donít use them for cooking they make a great little border plant with nice elegant purple flowers on a tall stem. They are in flower now and once done can be given a quick snip to encourage them to grow and bloom again later in the year.

Super hardy as well so will come back year after year no bother at all.
    Good shout. Chives, being an allium, complement all sorts, from a simple potato salad to a number of fish dishes, soups etc.

They are also good bedfellows for other plantings as they deter a lot of mites, IIRC.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

@hibs.net private member Callum_62's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Wii Code: 0083-4364-6418-4974
    Planted my wee lollipop lilacs today.

Look a bit lonely as we wait for the 3x 6 footers to arrive

Think they will look great when a bit larger and in full bloom

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Coaching Staff stu in nottingham's Avatar
    Every summer, for what's the best part of forty years I've grown tomatoes amongst other things. The usual routine is to buy 6-8 cordon tomatoes such as Shirley, Alicante, Gardeners Delight and maybe one or two novelty ones such as tiger skin or yellow toms. The method I've used has generally been to buy grow bags and empty the material into large pots. I find they grow better this way. They can also be moved around if need be.

Always found it quite relaxing to come home from work and potter around with a watering can, nipping out the side shoots on the plants. I can't use that many fruit but I do like to wander outside and pick a couple straight off the plant and eat them.

This year it's been tricky with garden centres and nurseries being closed. Many do delivery sure but it's not worthwhile to buy a minimum order of £40 or something just to grow a few tomatoes and lettuce plants. I finally found a local publlic park where the Council Parks Department grows plants and delivered for nothing.

For the first time I'm trying tumbling tomatoes 'Tumbling Tom', grown in containers. I hear good things about this method and I wonder if anyone here grows them? If mine are half as good as these ones I'll be happy!

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Callum_62 View Post
    We get quite a good amount of protection from these big boys

Howling a gale now but our garden appears to be quite well protected.... Watching they massive chestnut trees swaying about is quite something though.

Definately need to invest in a leaf blower

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk
    Prevailing wind break right there Callum.

Quote Originally Posted by stu in nottingham View Post
    Every summer, for what's the best part of forty years I've grown tomatoes amongst other things. The usual routine is to buy 6-8 cordon tomatoes such as Shirley, Alicante, Gardeners Delight and maybe one or two novelty ones such as tiger skin or yellow toms. The method I've used has generally been to buy grow bags and empty the material into large pots. I find they grow better this way. They can also be moved around if need be.

Always found it quite relaxing to come home from work and potter around with a watering can, nipping out the side shoots on the plants. I can't use that many fruit but I do like to wander outside and pick a couple straight off the plant and eat them.

This year it's been tricky with garden centres and nurseries being closed. Many do delivery sure but it's not worthwhile to buy a minimum order of £40 or something just to grow a few tomatoes and lettuce plants. I finally found a local publlic park where the Council Parks Department grows plants and delivered for nothing.

For the first time I'm trying tumbling tomatoes 'Tumbling Tom', grown in containers. I hear good things about this method and I wonder if anyone here grows them? If mine are half as good as these ones I'll be happy!

Iím like you, I enjoy going through the plant pinching out the side shoots...I just love the smell of tomato plants. Gardeners delight are my usual variety, although I havenít had time to do it for a few years and the ones Iíve got going this year (called Ďyellow pearí)I think I got started too late to amount to much. When I had more time on my hands I started them from seed in January.