hibs.net Messageboard

Thread: Harry Kane...

Harry Kane...

2. Log in to remove the advert

Very decent gesture.

Loads of footballers are doing good things in the background at the moment. They were used as a bit of a political pawn and there was a blatant attempt to scapegoat them.

Left by mutual consent!
    Fantastic.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Not at all surprised by this. He stepped in big style when my cousin's daughter was getting abuse.

He seems really sound.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/h...-a4140231.html

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not at all surprised by this. He stepped in big style when my cousin's daughter was getting abuse.

He seems really sound.

Nice. He does seem like a really good lad.

Left by mutual consent!
    He has an unsettlingly enormous chin

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by 660 View Post
    He is an unsettling ly excellent striker.

@hibs.net private member
    Yes. That's the message to take from this right enough.

Care to share how you are helping others?

@hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar
    SJM has an enourmous forehead and huge erse. Still God like though.

Testimonial Due green with envy's Avatar
    You've been outta school to long.

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    “Thank You Frontline Carers for serving us through this right fluffery buffery”

Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post

He seems really sound.

Your cousin's daughter?

Wow. Terrible that people get abuse and fair play to the big man.

Quote Originally Posted by Hillsidehibby View Post
    Your cousin's daughter?

Wow. Terrible that people get abuse and fair play to the big man.
    Yep, which apparently makes her my first cousin once removed.

https://www.itv.com/news/2019-04-30/...cing-at-spurs/
    Last edited by Peevemor; 14-05-2020 at 11:00 PM.

One of these guys who doesn’t seem to do much wrong on or off the park. Very down to earth.

Fair play to him. Can't be easy for Clubs to find sponsors in this market.
    Double win. Club gets a fee for sponsorship and those who are risking everything get some much deserved praise.

Testimonial Due
    Great jesture, but it shows the amount of money top players earn in the EPL to be able to be a shirt sponsor, usually taken up by big businesses.

Quote Originally Posted by where'stheslope View Post
    Great jesture, but it shows the amount of money top players earn in the EPL to be able to be a shirt sponsor, usually taken up by big businesses.
    He's worth every penny, one of the best strikers in the world.

@hibs.net private member Craig_HFC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Carheenlea View Post
    PERSEVERE
    Verb: pə:ːsɪ'ˈvɪə/
    To not give up.
    To go the distance.
    To stop at nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibeesmad View Post
    Fantastic.
    Let’s put that into perspective. Yes it’s great that anyone donates to charity. The donation was £100k probably less than half his weekly wage. If someone earning £200 per week donated half their wage doubt we would calling that be fantastic? Premier league football players are very well paid some would say paid obscenely. Donating half of his yearly wage well that could be described as fantastic.

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Mist View Post
    Let’s put that into perspective. Yes it’s great that anyone donates to charity. The donation was £100k probably less than half his weekly wage. If someone earning £200 per week donated half their wage doubt we would calling that be fantastic? Premier league football players are very well paid some would say paid obscenely. Donating half of his yearly wage well that could be described as fantastic.
    He could have just sat on his bum and said "why me? Messi earns more - he can do something"

He's made a good gesture that he didn't have to do, and it sounds like it's not out of character for him, and shown appreciation to some worth people.
    Mon the Hibs.

Left by mutual consent!
    If that is your first post in 12 years of being on here, then I hope the next one won't be for another 12 years.

Terrible post.

Terrible post? For what adding a little perspective. I said it’s great that anyone donates to charity. It’s the adulation I have the issue with. PL footballers are in a very privileged position earning vast amounts of money. Many of them doing fantastic work supporting charitable organisations. But are they being stretched financially? There are many that give to charity and many more so now than at any other time making a real personal sacrifice. In terms of comparatives means I would rather the publicity went to them.

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    Terrible post? For what adding a little perspective. I said it’s great that anyone donates to charity. It’s the adulation I have the issue with. PL footballers are in a very privileged position earning vast amounts of money. Many of them doing fantastic work supporting charitable organisations. But are they being stretched financially? There are many that give to charity and many more so now than at any other time making a real personal sacrifice. In terms of comparatives means I would rather the publicity went to them.
    You’re having a bit of a nightmare here - put away the spade!

I understand where Green Mist is coming from. The first thing I do when I see this sort of story is a quick mental calculation as to what it means to the individual in real/practical terms, more often than not on a very approximate weekly wage comparison.

However, I know that I personally have never given anything approaching a week's wages (or even half) in a lump sum to any good cause - even during periods when I've been relatively flush.

Which is one of the reasons why I'll never post anything negative about these sort of actions. Kane & people like him don't have to do these things. They don't have to take the time to do these things, but some do so good on them.

Quote Originally Posted by Carheenlea View Post
    Genuinely lol’d at that.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar

You make a fair point.

Proportionally, rich people give a lower % of their wealth to charity than poor people do. Large headline donations obscure this fact, but poorer people make larger sacrifices to help others.

This is not a criticism of Harry Kane, but him forgoing an Aston Martin to join the numerous other cars already in his garage is not really a sacrifice at all. If he still wants one he can just buy it next week instead.

Quote Originally Posted by jacomo View Post
    You make a fair point.

Proportionally, rich people give a lower % of their wealth to charity than poor people do. Large headline donations obscure this fact, but poorer people make larger sacrifices to help others.

This is not a criticism of Harry Kane, but him forgoing an Aston Martin to join the numerous other cars already in his garage is not really a sacrifice at all. If he still wants one he can just buy it next week instead.
    Exactly, I think it's a fair enough point really. It's the biblical parable of the old lady offering her last two copper coins all over again. Same goes for Bill Gates donating half his billions and leaving 90% of the remainder to charity in his will - I mean on the face of it's great and if the very rich all followed suit we would live in a better world but it doesn't change the fact that it's morally indefensible for someone to amass billions in the first place and impossible to justify in any meritocratic sense - and his personal estate will still measure over 10 billion after it all goes. It's almost as if we exist in a global economic system designed to protect and augment existing interests by extracting wealth from the surplus labour of the working classes...

I applaud Kane for his move - obviously - but I don't think that should preclude criticism of the role of capital in funnelling vast amounts of wealth into his and his teammates' pockets. Not even the best, most industrious and productive player in the world earns premiership wages on merit, in a country where people sleep on streets and starve to death. Ironically for the land of the free (market) the Americans have the right idea with the MLS wage cap imho