hibs.net Messageboard

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    @hibs.net private member Spike Mandela's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Season ticket or not, political spin either one way or the other, social distancing measures adhered to or not and football clubs haste to get back or caution for restart.

I won’t be setting foot in a stadium till I am sure it is measurably safe for me and my family.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by jacomo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I’m not sure why you are getting all het up about this.

Everyone wants to see football return, but being open about the practical considerations is not being defeatist, it is being realistic.

The current social distancing rules are the enemy of large events. Even if you can make it work (and do not doubt the hard work and ingenuity of people in the events industry), you might well create an event which offers such a poor experience for the fan that ticket sales soon dwindle. Who wants to spend an hour or more shuffling in a queue to get into a football stadium? Not me.

Why would you have to spend an hour in the queue? Wouldn't you simply be in the same queue as normal, but just be standing further apart?

I also don't see why it would be a poorer experience. Folk would still be cheering and singing (and in the case of Hibs Fans, booing a lot), We'd still all be getting excited about the action on the pitch.
    Last edited by Keith_M; 15-05-2020 at 09:24 AM.

@hibs.net private member CapitalGreen's Avatar

Everyone wants to see football return, but being open about the practical considerations is not being defeatist, it is being realistic.

The current social distancing rules are the enemy of large events. Even if you can make it work (and do not doubt the hard work and ingenuity of people in the events industry), you might well create an event which offers such a poor experience for the fan that ticket sales soon dwindle. Who wants to spend an hour or more shuffling in a queue to get into a football stadium? Not me.

The reason we have these social distancing measures is that we have no idea who has the virus or who has had it. This is because our government decided testing was unimportant.

Personally, I would focus much more on that.
    Good post. Accusing football fans on a football messsge board of not wanting football to return to normal is just daft - I think everyone (with the exception of Jambos) would love nothing more than the football to return asap. However you have to be very naive to think there isn’t major hurdles to overcome before that can happen and you can guarantee that these exact same issues will be being raised and discussed by the different SFA joint action response groups. However there is some very good, experienced people on these groups so hopefully they can come up with solutions and if they do so it will been through a consideration of all the details and eventualities not simply by just being positive and hoping for the best.

SPFL restart plans

The reason we have these social distancing measures is that we have no idea who has the virus or who has had it. This is because our government decided testing was unimportant.

Personally, I would focus much more on that.
    I get a little het up about people presenting the choice as between football as we all know it with massive crowds all bunched close together and no football at all. There will have to be a middle way or the game will go bust. Solutions will need to be found.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Ozyhibby; 15-05-2020 at 09:28 AM.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    I get a little het up about people presenting the choice as between football as we all know it with massive crowds all bunched close together and no football at all. There will have to be a middle way or the game will go bust. Solutions will need to be found.

Fair point. But I am not presenting that binary choice either.

I have real concerns that the kind of ideas being knocked about at the moment will prove impractical and financially ruinous, so will do nothing to help clubs in a precarious position.

My personal view is that you focus on the individuals attending, more than the infrastructure. I’m afraid this probably means that the vulnerable and over 70s may be excluded from large events for quite a long time, which definitely is unfair. But possibly better than pretending you can create a safe event for everyone.

No one has all the answers, of course.

They are talking about people sitting close together with empty middle seatson future flights but wearing compulsory masks and gloves. Surely that could work for fitba fans too. Even if they just allow fans up to lets say the age of 50 attend, its a start.

Fair point. But I am not presenting that binary choice either.

I have real concerns that the kind of ideas being knocked about at the moment will prove impractical and financially ruinous, so will do nothing to help clubs in a precarious position.

My personal view is that you focus on the individuals attending, more than the infrastructure. I’m afraid this probably means that the vulnerable and over 70s may be excluded from large events for quite a long time, which definitely is unfair. But possibly better than pretending you can create a safe event for everyone.

No one has all the answers, of course.
    Don't forget if you exclude the vulnerable groups from attending, then you would also have to exclude matchday staff, coaches and players who are in the vulnerable groups from attending.

Quote Originally Posted by Coach Jon View Post
    Don't forget if you exclude the vulnerable groups from attending, then you would also have to exclude matchday staff, coaches and players who are in the vulnerable groups from attending.
    I agree but I would think only a small number of them would be over 70. There are loads of things that will need to be done differently but at least it gets things moving again.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil MaGlass View Post
    They are talking about people sitting close together with empty middle seatson future flights but wearing compulsory masks and gloves. Surely that could work for fitba fans too. Even if they just allow fans up to lets say the age of 50 attend, its a start.

Could we make it sixty?

@hibs.net private member oldbutdim's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith_M View Post
    Could we make it sixty?
    Seventy please.

@hibs.net private member H18S NX's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by oldbutdim View Post
    Seventy please.
    ....I agree m8.

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith_M View Post
    Could we make it sixty?
    And backdated to include people who turned 60 during the lockdown?

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

SPFL restart plans

As I proposed this hub plan more than 4 weeks ago, I want paid a royalty from the SPFL. If they are short of cash I will accept £0 in return for a commitment of no relegation or promotion next season to allow clubs to recover from CV-19.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spike Mandela View Post
    Season ticket or not, political spin either one way or the other, social distancing measures adhered to or not and football clubs haste to get back or caution for restart.

I won’t be setting foot in a stadium till I am sure it is measurably safe for me and my family.
    My stance too.

I think the mixed up approach is demonstrated by the German ruling that the subs bench will be socially distanced by using the grandstand if necessary.Meanwhile on the pitch 25 people will be anything but socially distanced.

@hibs.net private member JohnM1875's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: johnmac1875
    Quote Originally Posted by ancient hibee View Post
    I think the mixed up approach is demonstrated by the German ruling that the subs bench will be socially distanced by using the grandstand if necessary.Meanwhile on the pitch 25 people will be anything but socially distanced.
    That is totally bizarre. Didn't know that.

@hibs.net private member surreyhibbie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    My stance too.
    me too, but living about 500 miles from ER means social distancing is not a big problem !

Will be coming home as soon as possible though.

Edit: 435.6 miles....
    Last edited by surreyhibbie; 15-05-2020 at 11:24 AM.
    Alcohol IS the answer, but I forget the question...

Quote Originally Posted by Coach Jon View Post
    Does that bar Roy hodgson and any coaching staff over 70 or with conditions. Good luck with that one.

@hibs.net private member Alfred E Newman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by oldbutdim View Post
    Seventy please.
    👍

Quote Originally Posted by mjhibby View Post
    Does that bar Roy hodgson and any coaching staff over 70 or with conditions. Good luck with that one.

Sounds fair enough

He can use Zoom to send instructions to the bench.

Quote Originally Posted by mjhibby View Post
    You think his club would risk going bust just to keep him on the bench?

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    As I proposed this hub plan more than 4 weeks ago, I want paid a royalty from the SPFL. If they are short of cash I will accept £0 in return for a commitment of no relegation or promotion next season to allow clubs to recover from CV-19.

History is littered with ingenius people who failed to receive due recognition from their peers, so my instinct is that you should hold out for the royalties as a tribute to guys like Mozart, Van Gogh and Levein.

However, your 'no promotion or relegation' alternative is also ingenius. It is very magnanimous and a fantastic gesture on your part. It might theoretically disadvantage Hearts next season but I think we can be confident that Budge and co will recognise and embrace the sacrifice for the greater good. They have never forgotten (or maybe I mean acknowledged) the sacrifices made so selflessly by Lithuanian pensioners and our many local businesses and charities in order to secure the greater good of occasionally paying Rudi Skachel's wages. Hearts know it is time for them to give something back, and I have no doubt they will...