hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

@hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar

ONE classic film you have never seen

I'm not sure if this topic has been done before on here, almost certainly I guess, but I can't remember it. It was a Radio 4 show for a while and the Guardian are currently doing it.

So, well, () it's one film acknowledged as a classic that you haven't seen. And maybe explain whether that's on purpose or just you've never got round to it.

Mine is 'The Shawshank Redemption'. I don't want to watch it. Obviously I am prejudging but it sounds twee and when I have seen a clip on one of those 'Ten Million Best Films Ever' shows, it feels a bit twee.

I also am ambivalent about Tim Robbins. I feel like I should like him but I struggle to warm to him. And Morgan Freeman always feels ike you are watching him play Morgan Freeman

I know it is a very well-liked film for a lot of people and I respect that. For me it is a classic that I haven't seen and wouldn't try to.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    The Wizard of Oz

Just never watched it and never had any interest in watching it.

And the rest:
    Star Wars Films
    The Hobbit and all related films
    Most of the Disney classics
    Gone with the Wind
    Casablanca
    Last edited by Scouse Hibee; 05-05-2020 at 07:28 PM.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Mary Poppins. Would have had the Godfather trilogy on this but watched then fairly recently.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

Hmmm, there's a few. Never seen a star wars film in my life. As Scouse said the wizard of oz just looks boring to me. Having had my daughter here then I have seen Mary Poppins too often in the space of two months

I've never seen Scarface all the way through. I watched about 40 minutes and thought it was over the top and over acted. Never had any inclination to revisit it.

From the 'golden age' I've never seen the likes of Casablanca, Gone With The Wind, The Third Man etc

More recently Inglorious *******s. I find Tarantino a bit hit and miss, I often can't decide if he's making a film or a showreel for himself, and that's one I have just never really been in the mood to give a chance.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Crouching tiger, hidden dragon.

Seems like it should be right up my street but I've never got round to watching it.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee-87
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I've never seen Scarface all the way through. I watched about 40 minutes and thought it was over the top and over acted. Never had any inclination to revisit it.

From the 'golden age' I've never seen the likes of Casablanca, Gone With The Wind, The Third Man etc

More recently Inglorious *******s. I find Tarantino a bit hit and miss, I often can't decide if he's making a film or a showreel for himself, and that's one I have just never really been in the mood to give a chance.
    On a slight tangent, I'm a fan of QT. Pulp fiction, reservoir dogs, kill bills and Django are films I could watch over and over. He co wrote the screen play to Tpprue Romance, one of my all time favourite films.

I tried to watch once upon a time in Hollywood a few months back but fell asleep (had a few whisky's) and never got round to finishing it. Finally watched it again last night and it's just as boring as I remember. One of the most disappointed I've been in a film..the end was ok, but the plot is so thin it's only barley saved by Leo and Brad Pitt being great actors.

I've never seen top gun, and have no Intention to.

@hibs.net private member Mon Dieu4's Avatar
    Titanic
    Schindlers list(I'm obsessed with WW2 but the more people try and make me watch it the more I won't)

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee-87
    Quote Originally Posted by Mon Dieu4 View Post
    Titanic
    Schindlers list(I'm obsessed with WW2 but the more people try and make me watch it the more I won't)
    I first saw Schindler's list in high school English class of all classes. I can't even do it justice how good I found and I am jealous you've not seen it and one day may get the chance to experience it for the first time 😂 genuinely a great film imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibee87 View Post
    I first saw Schindler's list in high school English class of all classes. I can't even do it justice how good I found and I am jealous you've not seen it and one day may get the chance to experience it for the first time 😂 genuinely a great film imo.
    It's a masterpiece. It's a film that moves me every time I watch it. The sheer scale of what Schindler achieved was hard to comprehend. The scene at the end when he questions himself and asks if he could have done more is portrayed brilliantly be Neeson.

It doesn't take much to set me off when watching a film. From ET to Happy Feet to Toy Story 3 I'll shed a tear bit Schindler List always leaves me feeling uncomfortable for a while afterwards. I think that's the genius of it.

@hibs.net private member Mon Dieu4's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibee87 View Post
    Im honestly never going to watch it mate, it's a point of principle with me now in my head haha

Titanic
    Never seen Schindler's List either.

Forrest Gump, Castaway, Philadelphia. Basically most Tom Hanks films between Big and Bridge of Spies.

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Titanic
    Titanic for me too. What's the point, people have been posting spoilers since 1912.

@hibs.net private member Future17's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibrandenburg View Post
    Titanic for me too. What's the point, people have been posting spoilers since 1912.
    You should get the blu-ray with the extras and watch the alternative ending version.

First Team Breakthrough
    Apocalypse Now, started to watch it when in my early 20s and just found it really boring and gave up, now that I'm a bit older I might appreciate it but did not get the appeal of it

Also 12 Angry Men is one that i have not seen at all, thing is I love a good courtroom drama whether it be on film or a documentary, hopefully it lives up to the hype

The Matrix.

A friend recently made a cryptic remark online about a "red pill" and I had to google it.

It meant nothing to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    The Matrix.

A friend recently made a cryptic remark online about a "red pill" and I had to google it.

It meant nothing to me.
    Me neither. So much cultural currency and it just passed me by.
    Never seen Fight Club either.

@hibs.net private member
    Any of the Star Wars films, don’t excite me at all.

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    Harry Potter. Never read the books and only made it through the first 10 minutes of the first film when the letters start shooting though the door and thought it wasn’t for me.

On the same lines, not sure I ever made it to the end of the first episode of Game Of Thrones before giving up. Used to switch off when everyone was talking about it.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    This thread has me on an emotional roller coaster.

One second I'm incredulous, the next I'm sad, the next, angry.

You should all watch all those films.

I've never seen Titanic, but I'm not sure that qualifies as a classic.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

@hibs.net private member BroxburnHibee's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CoolHibeesdaft PSN ID: Hibeesdaft
    Some people cant read an OP very well. I'm sure it said 1 film
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, vodka in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Casablanca. I may have seen it when I was wee but I can't remember it.

I've tried watching it since but Bogie annoyed me more than anything else so I gave up.

@hibs.net private member O'Rourke3's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mibbes Aye View Post
    I'm not sure if this topic has been done before on here, almost certainly I guess, but I can't remember it. It was a Radio 4 show for a while and the Guardian are currently doing it.

So, well, () it's one film acknowledged as a classic that you haven't seen. And maybe explain whether that's on purpose or just you've never got round to it.

Mine is 'The Shawshank Redemption'. I don't want to watch it. Obviously I am prejudging but it sounds twee and when I have seen a clip on one of those 'Ten Million Best Films Ever' shows, it feels a bit twee.

I also am ambivalent about Tim Robbins. I feel like I should like him but I struggle to warm to him. And Morgan Freeman always feels ike you are watching him play Morgan Freeman

I know it is a very well-liked film for a lot of people and I respect that. For me it is a classic that I haven't seen and wouldn't try to.
    Read the book then. Far from twee. Stand by me, comes from the same collection of four short stories. You might not like either but the popular endorsement is based on the quality, not the current fashion or box office star.

Lawrence of Arabia is probably the one for me, but it is on my DVR.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Some briĺliant films named so far. Apocalypse Now is one I've not seen but feel I should.

Quote Originally Posted by frazeHFC View Post
    Some briĺliant films named so far. Apocalypse Now is one I've not seen but feel I should.
    I'm going against what the thread is all about, but watch it, It's brilliant.

@hibs.net private member MagicSwirlingShip's Avatar
    Citizen Kane. Want to see it in a cinema.

Braveheart.

The Godfather

Left by mutual consent!
    Not seen lots of films deemed as classic so the one i will select is:

Scarface.

Wizard of Oz
    Any Godfather movie
    Scarface
    Raging Bull
    Taxi Driver
    Any of the older classics like Gone With The Wind
    Schindler's List