hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home draft beer systems

Has anyone got one of these and any recommendations?

2. Log in to remove the advert

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee-87
    Not got, but used a Krups with moretti cannisters a fair few rines. It's a nice pint, really nice for home. But for around 8 quid for something like 3 and a half pints it's a bit pricey if you drink a lot at home. If you don't then it's certainly nicer than a can or bottle

@hibs.net private member bringbackbenny's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Since90+2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Has anyone got one of these and any recommendations?
    Check these out, not cheap though.

https://uk.blade.shop/blade.html

@hibs.net private member speedy_gonzales's Avatar
    Mrs SG bought me the compact sub (Krups) from Beerwulf. It was a promotion and discounted along with 12 2 litre Torps (torpedoes for the sub!?!).

There is a novelty about it and there's not a bad range of beers out there but as others have said it's not very cost effective.

I've bought a few boxes of mixed Torps and a selected case of my choosing,,,, can't get enough of the Lagunitas IPA!

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Sheggs84
    Thinking a out getting myself the beer tap, it’s either that or trying something like beer52 and try getting different beers each month

On a similar theme (drinking at home, that it), The Stockbridge Tap, Cloisters, and the Bow Bar are opening up for off-sales. They'll be selling draught beer in 2.5ltr containers and packaged beer too. They'll be staggering the days they open between the 3 pubs, details to be announced at some point this week via Facebook & Twitter (I'm on neither these days, but have asked a pal to keep me informed).

Quote Originally Posted by SideBurns View Post
    On a similar theme (drinking at home, that it), The Stockbridge Tap, Cloisters, and the Bow Bar are opening up for off-sales. They'll be selling draught beer in 2.5ltr containers and packaged beer too. They'll be staggering the days they open between the 3 pubs, details to be announced at some point this week via Facebook & Twitter (I'm on neither these days, but have asked a pal to keep me informed).
    The Malt and Hops at The Shore does this, can't find the beer list anymore though. Open Wed, Fri and Sat afternoon.

Quote Originally Posted by HUTCHYHIBBY View Post
    The Malt and Hops at The Shore does this, can't find the beer list anymore though. Open Wed, Fri and Sat afternoon.
    Is that still happening? My old man said the police had closed it down?

@hibs.net private member

How fresh will the beer be, considering how long they have been closed?

Quote Originally Posted by pollution View Post
    How fresh will the beer be, considering how long they have been closed?
    Keg beer has a pretty long shelf life, I think. Cask ale much less so, but all 3 pubs pride themselves on serving good beer so I'd have faith that what you get will be fresh (and tasty 😁).

@hibs.net private member bringbackbenny's Avatar
    Keg beer has a pretty long shelf life, I think. Cask ale much less so, but all 3 pubs pride themselves on serving good beer so I'd have faith that what you get will be fresh (and tasty 😁).
    yup,from what I can recall keg beer normally leaves Brewers with approx 40-45 days shelf life. Cask much less normally 3 or so weeks max.

Will the beer not taste pretty minging by the time you get it home and drink it? Pints don't tend to last too long so can't imagine it's going to taste great out of a container a a hour or so later.

What is the law around takeaway beer? Does it have to be in a sealed container?

In a situation that saw a slight easing of the lockdown would it be possible for a pub to sell a pint in a plastic 'glass' with a lid on it to be consumed off the premises if they have an off sale license?

Obviously drinking it in a street or in a park is only permitted unless you are asked to stop and I assume the Police would take a dim view but is it a theoretical possibility?

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    What is the law around takeaway beer? Does it have to be in a sealed container?

In a situation that saw a slight easing of the lockdown would it be possible for a pub to sell a pint in a plastic 'glass' with a lid on it to be consumed off the premises if they have an off sale license?

Obviously drinking it in a street or in a park is only permitted unless you are asked to stop and I assume the Police would take a dim view but is it a theoretical possibility?
    All the post from the Stockbridge Tap says is that they'll be selling draught beer in 2.5ltr containers, with a list of beers available on their Facebook & Twitter pages.

It's taken a while since closing to come up with this (along with the Bow & Cloisters) so presume they've got all the legal stuff right.

I suppose selling pints might be possible in an easing off period - pubs will be investigating all sorts of ways they might be able to reopen.
    Last edited by SideBurns; 06-05-2020 at 02:32 PM.

@hibs.net private member
    Will the beer not taste pretty minging by the time you get it home and drink it? Pints don't tend to last too long so can't imagine it's going to taste great out of a container a a hour or so later.

I agree. by the time you pour it into your glass it will taste flat. Twice poured beer is awful.

Is that still happening? My old man said the police had closed it down?
    They turned up then left without any action being taken.

Coaching Staff
    I’ve had the sub for a while. Great in the summer as your fridge isn’t going to get beer to that 2 degree chill ordinarily.

Not the cheapest way to get your beer and pouring is tricky. You get the continental style 5 inches of head with the glasses I have regardless of technique!

@hibs.net private member Jamesie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HUTCHYHIBBY View Post
    They turned up then left without any action being taken.
    Punters were buying the bevvy on Saturday and taking it over to Commercial Wharf before decanting it into pint glasses, all about 20 metres away from a sitting Police car. Was a bizarre spectacle all round.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamesie View Post
    Punters were buying the bevvy on Saturday and taking it over to Commercial Wharf before decanting it into pint glasses, all about 20 metres away from a sitting Police car. Was a bizarre spectacle all round.
    That's more up to date than my knowledge so, fair enough.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Perfectly good packaged beers and lagers available without going to a pub to buy poured beer to take home surely?

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    Perfectly good packaged beers and lagers available without going to a pub to buy poured beer to take home surely?
    It's an experiment by the pubs mentioned to gauge popularity; they're obviously desperate to get going again and are trying this off-sales idea.

I'm keen to support boozers if possible, so have pre-ordered a 2.5ltr container of beer costing £12 for collection from Cloisters this afternoon (or rather, a pal has done it for me since I'm not on Facebook or Twitter). If it's crap, I won't get another one! I'll report back on here, in case anyone is interested.

It's an experiment by the pubs mentioned to gauge popularity; they're obviously desperate to get going again and are trying this off-sales idea.

I'm keen to support boozers if possible, so have pre-ordered a 2.5ltr container of beer costing £12 for collection from Cloisters this afternoon (or rather, a pal has done it for me since I'm not on Facebook or Twitter). If it's crap, I won't get another one! I'll report back on here, in case anyone is interested.
    👍 The only problem I see is unlike packaged beer you will need to consume it pretty much straight away to get any quality. Actually that might be an advantage!😁🍻

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    👍 The only problem I see is unlike packaged beer you will need to consume it pretty much straight away to get any quality. Actually that might be an advantage!😁🍻
    That's not a problem at the moment 😁👍🍻

@hibs.net private member speedy_gonzales's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pollution View Post
    I agree. by the time you pour it into your glass it will taste flat. Twice poured beer is awful.
    There was a shop in Morningside that used to sell Growlers, maybe it was just a hipster thing but the twice poured beer obviously wasn't too much of an issue,,,, assuming they're still in business?

Quote Originally Posted by speedy_gonzales View Post
    There was a shop in Morningside that used to sell Growlers, maybe it was just a hipster thing but the twice poured beer obviously wasn't too much of an issue,,,, assuming they're still in business?
    Might be I'll get something similar this afternoon; I'm assuming they won't just be pulling the beer into old milk cartons. Will give it an early test once I get home, so I can report back here asap!

Quote Originally Posted by bringbackbenny View Post
    Check these out, not cheap though.

https://uk.blade.shop/blade.html
    I saw these machines dispensing a local cider in Alicante before lockdown. I thought they were quite nifty!

At £500 I think I'll give it a miss.
    Space to let

@hibs.net private member hibbybob's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by speedy_gonzales View Post
    That shop in Morningside didn’t last very long.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    I saw these machines dispensing a local cider in Alicante before lockdown. I thought they were quite nifty!

At £500 I think I'll give it a miss.
    We had a couple on trial at work for large groups, they are quite good.

The Edinburgh Beer Factory (that brews Paolozzi Lager) sell growler bottles, or they used to anyway. I got one from my sister for Christmas and I was surprised how fresh it still tasted. I was quite sceptical but was pleasantly surprised.

I've picked up the beer from Cloisters and, having decided there is no time like the present, poured myself a pint. It tastes lovely, although I struggled to get a head on it. However, I should say it was real ale I bought (Trade Winds, from the Cairngorm Brewery) so the beer is 'flat' anyway.

It just comes in an ordinary 2.5ltr sealed container, with the name of the beer, date it was poured (today!), and advice that it's best drunk within 24 hours. To be honest, as a drinking 'experience' it's no better than buying from a supermarket and is more expensive. But I wasn't really expecting anything else, and feel good for having put money in a pub till for the first time in 7 weeks!