hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Alternative Income Streams

Was trying to think of some ideas that the club could use as alternative income streams.

With us all being confined to our houses there must be something that the club could do digitally and charge a small fee for.

There’s only so many online quizzes folk can take, some other form of entertainment or something to support fitness could work.

A few ideas to kick off:

- Daily Fitness video class with a couple of the 1st team (make a small donation, if you are in a position to do so) Insanity sort of style for those familiar with that
    - Hibby night in, a live video with some of the team, maybe have some players telling jokes, funny stories, player karaoke (Small fee to join online)
    - Players live talent contest, I’m sure you’d get some players up for it. Eg Omeonga playing piano (fee to view live online)
    - live online race night or something similar
    - They could still be continuing with a Happy Hibee or similar draw/lottery online
    Last edited by macca70; 30-04-2020 at 06:47 PM.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member
    Cake bakes are .......... no that’s been done 🤣

Quote Originally Posted by CentreLine View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Cake bakes are .......... no that’s been done 🤣
    Hibby Great British bake off with the 1st team 😂😂😂

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by macca70 View Post
    Was trying to think of some ideas that the club could use as alternative income streams.

With us all being confined to our houses there must be something that the club could do digitally and charge a small fee for.

There’s only so many online quizzes folk can take, some other form of entertainment or something to support fitness could work.

A few ideas to kick off:

- Daily Fitness video class with a couple of the 1st team (make a small donation, if you are in a position to do so)
    - Hibby night in, a live video with some of the team, maybe have some players telling jokes, funny stories, player karaoke (Small fee to join online)
    - Players live talent contest, I’m sure you’d get some players up for it. Eg Omeonga playing piano (fee to view live online)
    - They could still be continuing with a Happy Hibee or similar draw/lottery online

Could buy a string of pubs and pump the profits into the player budget.

@hibs.net private member
    Have we got a plastic owl kicking about?

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    I’m not sure the players are allowed to do any work for the club while they’re furloughed.

United we stand here....

@hibs.net private member
    Screen the hearts documentary. Easily have 20,000 fans paying £20 each

Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    I’m not sure the players are allowed to do any work for the club while they’re furloughed.
    Are they all furloughed? Maybe not then but i’m sure they could volunteer to to get involved in a fans ‘social event’

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Are they all furloughed? Maybe not then but i’m sure they could volunteer to to get involved in a fans ‘social event’
    If they're generating income for the club, that counts as work, whether they volunteer or not.

What about a full sized hollow cow with a wee slot for 50p's?

Quote Originally Posted by gloryhunter View Post
    Don’t laugh but actually in about 4-6 months time there will be some great bargains to be had in the pub and hotel sectors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    Don’t laugh but actually in about 4-6 months time there will be some great bargains to be had in the pub and hotel sectors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I’m laughing

@hibs.net private member

A few ideas to kick off:

- Daily Fitness video class with a couple of the 1st team (make a small donation, if you are in a position to do so) Insanity sort of style for those familiar with that
    Sell us more shares

@hibs.net private member Bristolhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gloryhunter View Post
    There’s a good one down here in Bath.

Remember when we moved down in 1989 and my old man pointing out the club/bar that Hibs owned.

What could go wrong?

J

What about selling more stones for either outside or inside the stadium?
    I've got one on the East.
    Years ago there was an initiative where everyone paid £100 I think and their names were displayed in the famous Five Concourse. I don't know if they are still there as I've not been in that stand for a few years. Something like that might raise a few bob with not a lot of outlay?
    Perhaps it could be linked to some preferential ticket queue for big games?
    Just a thought?

How about a Virtual Tour of Easter Road and East Mains?

They do 'in person' stadium tours so they might as well have them online. One of the players or coaching staff could take the 'tour', give out info and answer any questions.

@hibs.net private member Bristolhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith_M View Post
    How about a Virtual Tour of Easter Road and East Mains?

They do 'in person' stadium tours so they might as well have them online. One of the players or coaching staff could take the 'tour', give out info and answer any questions.

That’s a great idea. For example, I’ve never seen our changing rooms.

J

Quote Originally Posted by Bristolhibby View Post
    That’s a great idea. For example, I’ve never seen our changing rooms.

J

Maybe £10 a time, limited to about twenty people per tour (makes it more personal).

These are nice ideas that I'm sure the club would consider engaging with, but as a couple of others have pointed out, it's just not possible:

- Furloughed players and staff can't perform interviews as part of work for the club's platforms.
    - A virtual stadium tour would still break furlough rules as it would require staff to create, also making them travel to the stadium during lockdown/distancing rules.
    - Personalised stones are still available to purchase.

This is all from within the club. ^

The support from the fans through season ticket renewals and the home strip preorder has been immense. For the time being, these are going to be the only real revenue drivers that we can influence, so the best we can do is keep that momentum going.

Income streams still available:

- Season tickets.
    - Hibernian Direct (is now shipping online orders again.)
    - Player sponsorships.
    - New kit.
    - Tunnel zone tiles.
    - West Stand stones.

Quote Originally Posted by Vault Boy View Post
    These are nice ideas that I'm sure the club would consider engaging with, but as a couple of others have pointed out, it's just not possible:

- Furloughed players and staff can't perform interviews as part of work for the club's platforms.
    - A virtual stadium tour would still break furlough rules as it would require staff to create, also making them travel to the stadium during lockdown/distancing rules.
    - Personalised stones are still available to purchase.

This is all from within the club. ^

The support from the fans through season ticket renewals and the home strip preorder has been immense. For the time being, these are going to be the only real revenue drivers that we can influence, so the best we can do is keep that momentum going.

Income streams still available:

- Season tickets.
    - Hibernian Direct (is now shipping online orders again.)
    - Player sponsorships.
    - New kit.
    - Tunnel zone tiles.
    - West Stand stones.
    No everyone at the club is Furloughed, players and office staff are. Managers & coaches haven’t been as they still want them to be working away in prep for when we are up and running again.

Also, are the club really going to get in that much trouble if a furloughed player decides to do a live video for fans, extremely unlikely!! They have been dropping in Happy Birthday calls to fans and checking on welfare of older fans, is that classed as ‘working for the club’ and breaching furlough?

No everyone at the club is Furloughed, players and office staff are. Managers & coaches haven’t been as they still want them to be working away in prep for when we are up and running again.

Also, are the club really going to get in that much trouble if a furloughed player decides to do a live video for fans, extremely unlikely!! They have been dropping in Happy Birthday calls to fans and checking on welfare of older fans, is that classed as ‘working for the club’ and breaching furlough?
    If they charge for it, yep.

HMRC will be itching to make examples of high-profile companies breaking the rules.

Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    If they charge for it, yep.

HMRC will be itching to make examples of high-profile companies breaking the rules.
    There’s a difference between a few players jumping on to do a live video and a company having the whole workforce working whilst also claiming furlough payments. I’m not sure HMRC are going to hammer Hibs because McGregor and Stevenson do a fans live streamed Q&A.

Some folk love to create drama.

There’s a difference between a few players jumping on to do a live video and a company having the whole workforce working whilst also claiming furlough payments. I’m not sure HMRC are going to hammer Hibs because McGregor and Stevenson do a fans live streamed Q&A.

Some folk love to create drama.
    Any need for that?

I'm trying to give people the benefit of my own dealings with HMRC, and their predecessors.

I didn't say everyone was furloughed in my original post.

I don't think you can expect the club to break the employment regulations just because you don't reckon they'll be charged. Don't really see your point there. They're just being compliant.

Players who have made phone calls or sent messages to fans have done so on a voluntary basis or through their own channels, having a member of the club staff interview them directly would be a breach. That's why players have still been giving interviews to journalists or the likes of Marvin Bartley, it's nothing to do with their employer.

Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    Any need for that?

I'm trying to give people the benefit of my own dealings with HMRC, and their predecessors.
    There was no need, you were right.

Even if HMRC didn't take note, are folk seriously going to criticise the club for not breaking the rules just so they can watch an HTV interview with Darren McGregor? As much as I love the guy, that's a bit much.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Simplest way, but would be unpopular, would be to sell 1/2 players
    Rocky is in his last year, we can’t afford him to go for free, and Boyle had interest him as well last season, and also think he’s in his last year

Would be keeping Porteous as his value will increase, and he’s on a long term contract

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    Simplest way, but would be unpopular, would be to sell 1/2 players
    Rocky is in his last year, we can’t afford him to go for free, and Boyle had interest him as well last season, and also think he’s in his last year

Would be keeping Porteous as his value will increase, and he’s on a long term contract
    Simple, sure, and it's not a bad shout. There will be a lot of clubs looking at that.

Problem is that the market will be depressed, as clubs will have less money for spending on transfer fees. We probably won't be able to get as much as we would have 3 months ago .

The flip-side of that is that clubs who do have cash available may pick up some bargains.

Wish there was a way when every time you shopped and paid by card you could donate say 10 or 20 pence per purchase to the club ? The club could make a fortune the way my wife shops !

@hibs.net private member
    I think the club should order up a whole bunch of face masks in green and white and green coloured hand-gel. They are going to be needed when the football finally gets underway again and a little bit of branding might help make them more popular.

OK, the simple answer to the stadium tours things is to utilize any coaches or other staff that aren't furloughed.... or even to accept offers of assistance from other Fans (e.g. some 'celebrity' supporters with time on their hands)

It's amazing that some people on here would rather discuss the nitty-gritty of legal and tax stuff instead of just looking for the simplest solution to the problem at hand.
    Last edited by Keith_M; 02-05-2020 at 10:13 AM.