hibs.net Messageboard

Tim Burgess Twitter listening parties

Anyone got involved with these last couple of weeks? Seems to have really caught the imagination of music fans on Twitter.

Tim (from The Charlatans, in case not aware), arranges with somebody from the band or involved with the album, and gets the actual artists to tweet along with some commentary about a particular album and fans can fire off comments/questions.

So at the allotted time of say 9pm, everyone starts playing the album at the same time, and just chats basically.

Some of them seem to have been really successful, plenty of variety.

I did the The Style Council’s ‘Our Favourite Shop’ last night. Paul Weller was tweeting, maybe he was a bit quiet or didn’t quite get the concept, but interesting to see some comments from him.

A good idea to get people involved in some community type thing. Tim’s got loads arranged for the coming days/weeks with a lot of well known names, a few of which I want to listen to if family time allows.

I’ve probably not described it very well, but a pretty cool idea in these strange times.

2. Log in to remove the advert

I love Tim Burgess, I saw The Charlatans but for me seeing him playing his album with Lambchop was brilliant. A country version of "The Only One........" was a highlight.
    Will check the show out. Thanks for the heads up.

I’ve only manage to listen to the Ride one so far as a big fan, need to do some more.

I’ve got involved with both the Oasis ones, Cribs, Libertines, Lightning Seeds and bit of Ash and Style Council last night.

It’s a brilliant idea and I enjoyed some of the Charlatans ones that Tim has done over the years. The line up he has for the coming weeks is incredible though and really seems to have something for everyone. All power to him.

For the Oasis ones me and my mates were exchanging our own memories via WhatsApp and ended up watching old gigs on YouTube til 2am. Between that type of thing and the chance to connect with the artists directly, there is something special about this format IMO. Just what we need at this time!

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    The Twilight Sad tomorrow night with a live album they’ve released on Bandcamp today - pay what you want.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The Twilight Sad tomorrow night with a live album they’ve released on Bandcamp today - pay what you want.
    Was on Bandcamp Website earlier and there is a little ticker on the homepage that shows what people are buying at that very moment and there were a lot of people buying The Twilight Sad album, paying varying amounts.

I find the ticker kind of mesmerising watching what people buy, 99% of which I’ve never heard of.

Good that a few of us are into the listening sessions.

Billy Bragg is on next week - Don't Try This at Home. Except renamed:

Lloyd Cole & the Commotions' Rattlesnakes tomorrow night. Now that takes me back.

Quote Originally Posted by JeMeSouviens View Post
    Yeah, there are loads packed in there. None of tonight’s one’s appeal to me though.

Billy Bragg and Lloyd Cole will be must listens for me (being aged 50, they are part of my teens/early adulthood!) as will The Cult with the Love album (think it’s Billy Duffy doing it).

One of my favourites bands that are Aussie band The Church who are still active, the singer Steve Kilbey is one of the busiest men around, releases tons of solo and collaborations, as well as still heading The Church. I did tweet to Tim Burgess suggesting they would be a good idea. I see there is a reserved spot for a Saturday night in a couple of weeks that says ‘SK’. Could it be??!! Probably not.

@hibs.net private member
    Steven Wilson on 21 April is the one for me. SW has said he will be online for it too, so horse's mouth content!

I listened to one by folk singer Rowan Rheingans where she talked through her solo album. It was a delightful listen.

@hibs.net private member MagicSwirlingShip's Avatar
    Leftfield and Chemical brothers on the 24th. Intae it

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    Haven’t seen any of these yet but hope this kind of thing remains once things are back to normal. Musicians (and other fields) being more accessible to their fans. Keep the good aspects of this time.

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    The Twilight Sad premiering their new live album just now is fantastic.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

Lloyd Cole & the Commotions' Rattlesnakes tomorrow night. Now that takes me back.
    Wow! Yes that takes me way back. I used to listen to Radio Forth, cant remember the DJ but he played this album relentlessly and Mary Chain etc wish I still had all my vinyl. Still got some