hibs.net Messageboard

View Poll Results: Vote yes or no in regards to the the current proposals?

Voters
334. You may not vote on this poll
  • Vote yes and relegate Hearts

298 89.22%
  • Vote no and see what happens including league reconstruction (as reported in Evening News)

36 10.78%
Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveF View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Come on you are way better than that. You know fine well we are talking in a football only context here.
    Are footballers' lives and jobs not at risk?

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Kato; 09-04-2020 at 09:45 AM.

2. Log in to remove the advert

A restructure that involves merging with maybe the Dutch and Belgian leagues would peak my interest and make me turn a blind eye to any benefit Hearts may receive but a temporary change to 14 teams would be the worst solution of all. It would be admitting 14 is a bad number and that this is all about saving Hearts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Left by mutual consent!
    Any chance we might re-word the poll? IMHO we're focusing too much on relegating Hearts here, which (while that would be an amusing and deserved consequence) is obscuring the fact that ending the season is simply the most sensible solution and would bring Scottish football in line with the approach adopted by pretty much all other sports.

I'd suggest the poll ought to be worded something like: Should Hibs vote in favour of the SFPL proposals to end the season?

Followed by a straight 'yes' or 'no' choice.

I don't imagine that would alter the way people vote but it would mean nobody has to justify or argue about why they voted the way they did.

I get LD having to make diplomatic noises and not committing to anything, especially in the midst of the predictably risible cant emanating from Ibrox and Tynecastle...

...however what worries me is the tone of communication from Easter Road at times verges on the "meek" - the Sevco "move on statement" had Petrie & Forsyth's dabs all over it and only served to p!ss off a substantial number of the support, and if we were to vote for reconstruction, then you could multiply that by a factor of 10x, because whatever way you want to dress it up, it saves that mob's neck.

Some fans in the Hibs support aren't going to wear that approach, and it will manifest itself in lower season ticket sales (which are going to take a hit anyway), leading to an inferior team.

If the club are also looking up the table at them after them being spared relegation and doubtless splashing the cash again - as we all know they will do (and have basically said they will in their leaked e-mail to agents about being in the market for new players once they've dumped the current lot) then that same ill-feeling will be further ramped up among the fanbase.

HMFC as the "establishment" club in Edinburgh have historically been over-indulged by the useless football authorities, their acolytes in the media, and our illustrious council to boot.

Let's not add to that list this time round eh Hibs?

Poll running at 91% in favour of calling the league as is. That’s a lot of customers that Hibs risk upsetting.

@hibs.net private member Greenworld's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Capt Mainwaring View Post
    You would do well to outline the financial impact for Hibs if the proposal is voted through, and Hibs finish 7th ( eg lower Prize Money of £125k) and (with Hearts relegated the differential loss of income from up to 2 x derby games v 2 x Dundee Utd) next season

There will be other impacts for sure and adverse consequences for Hibs.

So to help people consider their voting intentions allow them to see the potential downside for us

Every club will likely act in their own interests. The stance Hearts are taking is not unreasonable, and frankly if Hibs were in the same position we’d all want the Hibs Board to do the same.
    His could also finish lower than 7th so maybe it would be wise to accept that

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Caversham Green View Post
    You could read whatever you want into the comment. Does "everything in football had to change anyway" mean she thinks the leagues needed to be restructured whether we suffered the current problems or not? I don't know and neither do you, but she does also say "in some small way" - restructuring the leagues is not a small way.

"I think it is going to change everything". She's absolutely right here IMO. Most clubs in Scotland are going to have to reset significantly and several are in real danger of going the way of the original Rangers. As I said, if that happens restructuring of some sort will become inevitable.

I think what LD is saying is that we have to react to events as they happen, ruling nothing out and ruling nothing in, and if restructuring is the best way to deal with them then so be it. My personal view is that an immediate restructuring is a bad choice, but I'm not in possession of all the information necessary to support that view in full.
    Thanks for taking the time to reply. I take your points on board and that has gone some way to calm me down! Haha

I think with such an emotive subject however she would have been best to give the standard response than dropping hints that are open to interpretation.

I wouldn't vote for league reconstruction no matter the circumstance. I've just never been fond of the idea.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    Poll running at 91% in favour of calling the league as is. That’s a lot of customers that Hibs risk upsetting.

If that was across the full support then yes it is however at the moment it’s a very small sample size

Think folk need to chill. Hibs wont be saving Hearts and at no point did LD say they would. Its clear they are keeping options open. Hearts will still be relegated

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    A restructure that involves merging with maybe the Dutch and Belgian leagues would peak my interest and make me turn a blind eye to any benefit Hearts may receive but a temporary change to 14 teams would be the worst solution of all. It would be admitting 14 is a bad number and that this is all about saving Hearts.

I doubt I'm in the minority when I say that I have absolutely nae interest in merging with Dutch or Belgian leagues

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisski33 View Post
    Think folk need to chill. Hibs wont be saving Hearts and at no point did LD say they would. Its clear they are keeping options open. Hearts will still be relegated
    There's very little chance that Hearts are going down. People are living in a different world if they think this season can be played to a finish. Then I'm sure the league will be called and Celtic will get the league, but I think it's almost a certainty that they'll have league reconstruction to save anyone getting relegated. I'll be disgusted by that as it's all done to save Hearts, but that's how I see it happening.

I think some people on this thread forget they've bought and cheated their way to trophies, at our expense. Their support has been unbearable since Romanov arrived. The right thing is they go down. It just won't happen.

Wow, your awful blasé about our season ticket sales. One minute your all about what’s good for Hibs, next you don’t care if folk buy tickets of not.

I don't care if a few don't bother because instead of going all out to get Hearts, we do whats best for Hibs. That would be a laughable reason to stop going and the club shouldn't be catering to those people.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Since90+2 View Post
    Can't vote on phone but we should be voting to relegate Hearts.

If we do I'll genuinely reconsider my intention to get a season ticket for next season.
    You can if you change it to default style at the bottom

Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post
    I doubt I'm in the minority when I say that I have absolutely nae interest in merging with Dutch or Belgian leagues
    Exactly, awful suggestion and how exactly would we get to these countries with the almost certain travel bans that will remain in place for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    Are footballers' lives and jobs not at risk?

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk
    Yes. And?

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee

They won’t be wrong if Dempster votes to save them.

"We have the ruthless gene..."

aye, you're that ruthless that you're completely reliant on your biggest rivals doing you a favour to stop you being relegated. What ****ing planet are these clowns on??
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    I don't care if a few don't bother because instead of going all out to get Hearts, we do whats best for Hibs. That would be a laughable reason to stop going and the club shouldn't be catering to those people.
    You are being extremely niave and shortsighted if this is what you truely believe.

Please explain to me how voting for reconstruction, in this context, actually benefits Hibs? I am really keen to hear your response.

LD says in the interview that she thinks we should take our time before deciding? How does that fit in with the need to vote tomorrow?

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    "in some small way"

League reconstruction?
    Changes to how the money is shared out?
    Change of calender for league season?
    Summer football?
    Changes to split?
    Changes to promotion/relegation/play-off system?
    Other than reconstruction, no other plans are currently on the table. Obviously there might be other things that are being considered and we haven’t heard, but I doubt it.
    Last edited by lord bunberry; 09-04-2020 at 10:04 AM.

United we stand here....

Quote Originally Posted by Steve20 View Post
    There's very little chance that Hearts are going down. People are living in a different world if they think this season can be played to a finish. Then I'm sure the league will be called and Celtic will get the league, but I think it's almost a certainty that they'll have league reconstruction to save anyone getting relegated. I'll be disgusted by that as it's all done to save Hearts, but that's how I see it happening.

I think some people on this thread forget they've bought and cheated their way to trophies, at our expense. Their support has been unbearable since Romanov arrived. The right thing is they go down. It just won't happen.
    It needs 11 of 12 the spl to vote for reconstruction. No chance. It would only be to save Hertz. Why would Aberdeen,Motherwell etc take a cut of monies. It ain't happening.

Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    "We have the ruthless gene..."

aye, you're that ruthless that you're completely reliant on your biggest rivals doing you a favour to stop you being relegated. What ****ing planet are these clowns on??
    I do not agree with 99.99% of opinions on that board, however that sits in the 0.01% if it does play out that way.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    LD says in the interview that she thinks we should take our time before deciding? How does that fit in with the need to vote tomorrow?

Because there's an element of "wait and see" written in to the proposal for the top league. However acceptance will mean relegation (unfair IMO) for Partick, unless there's also league reconstruction.

First Team Breakthrough Green-Hibee-7's Avatar
    They have been the worst team in the league for 12 months. Not just this season. Truth be told though, if it was Hibs in Hearts position I would have the same stance as them - it doesn’t seem right to end the season and relegate teams based on the season being incomplete and it being more than recoverable. Fortunately it isn’t, we are not in that position so only need to make a position that brings us out of this positively.

Forget the short-term loss (2 x gates versus Hearts at ER). Strategically we have a chairman/owner and CEO that have committed to wanting us to regularly finish in the top 4 places in the league. Wanting increased crowds that have not been seen in decades. Are coming out with marketing lines that state “this is our city”. To achieve these goals, what sense does it make in voting to save a direct competitor to all these goals when you could put them back for w year whilst you strive to get on your way to achieving these goals.

If there’s one thing history tells me, they are the luckiest team ever that worm their way out of every situation and end up at some point along the way have success against us.

I hope the board are thinking of the impact this will have on sizeable numbers in our support and I trust them to make the right call. Let’s see how it plays out.

Hi NN I have some sympathy with your point of view as a season ticket holder ( I’ve already bought next season’s) and along with most of our support would be happy to see them relegated but after reading your post I took my green tinted glasses off and thought would it be a bad thing if league reconstruction was to go ahead with 18 teams playing each other once home and away ?, but then I had a look over on kickback and found this thread, after reading it I now say relegate them it’s what they would do

Gashauskis9

• The Doyen of drivel
    • Paid Member_10
    • 11,140 posts

Posted March 10

We beat St Mirren 2-0 tomorrow night and go above them on goal difference.

On Thurs morning, the SPFL/SFA decide to end the season prematurely due to COVID-19. To ensure that Dundee Utd don’t hit the wall, the decision is taken to cancel the play offs, but relegate one and promote one. As a result, St Mirren are relegated on goal difference on technically the last day of the season. They then spend the rest of their eternity thinking about how this could have been avoided if they hadn’t let Celtic pump them last weekend.

That my friends is ****ing karma!!!

Quote Originally Posted by NAE NOOKIE View Post
    A reasonable reply mate. From my POV it's not just about Hearts as a club, who without a doubt have been so badly run they can't complain about the position they find themselves in. I'm purely looking at this from two angles:

Firstly I just can't in all honesty see the fairness in relegating a club, even them with their history, in circumstances which are so unbelievably unique and with so much of the season still to play, nor can I see how it would be fair on any club's supporters, even theirs .. said through gritted teeth I assure you.

Secondly, The only way I can see which will satisfy as many clubs fans as possible, never mind the clubs themselves, is for a league set up next season which includes the top two in the championship .... it's no secret that ICT are teetering on the brink and a season in the premiership will probably save them from going under ... folk don't even seem to be thinking about them ... in all honesty beaten to the championship title by a club whose spending is no less excessive than Hearts for the league they are in.

Can anybody in all honesty, hand on heart, say they would have seen any fairness in Hibs being relegated if we had been bottom of the league when play stopped in these circumstances ... I sure as hell couldn't.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Maybe Hibs feel that they can move up the league, and possibly get 4th/5th, which means a lot more money
    Whatever way we vote, we vote in our interests, and nothing to do with relegating Hearts

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    Maybe Hibs feel that they can move up the league, and possibly get 4th/5th, which means a lot more money
    Whatever way we vote, we vote in our interests, and nothing to do with relegating Hearts
    In which case they need to articulate that and say which way they are going to vote tomorrow.

Exactly Billy im puzzled as to why folk havent thought of this reasoning.fk Hearts they are going down anyway

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Marvin View Post
    You are being extremely niave and shortsighted if this is what you truely believe.

Please explain to me how voting for reconstruction, in this context, actually benefits Hibs? I am really keen to hear your response.
    I would say those focusing purely on relegating the Hearts at all costs are being naive, short sighted and very parochial.

Hibs will, as they should, take the view on this and will vote in a way that best benefits us as a club and for the survival of Scottish football. Leeann is advocating a very sensible wait and see strategy at the moment as the picture is still not clear.

If this is a chance to improve Scottish football then we should consider what those options could look like as we have some time to think through these things.

FWIW my own view is end it now, distribute the money and let everyone get on with planning for the next season.

Left by mutual consent!
    There’s more chance of finishing higher in the table next season with hearts relegated also though. The league isn’t going to start again any time soon and the vote isn’t for this to happen right away I’m the Premiership, the vote is to vote on the proposal going through if the league cannot be concluded.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisski33 View Post
    Exactly Billy im puzzled as to why folk havent thought of this reasoning.fk Hearts they are going down anyway
    Like I said, the vote is to vote on the proposal if the league cannot be finished. It’s not to finish the league right away.