hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by superfurryhibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't remember Stanton's 60's career, but I don't think he was ever a full back or a nutter on the field.

If you dont remember how can you come to any conclusion

...and he did play full back as a teenager.

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    The Quiet Man tag was a press nickname as Pat wasn't too forward in interviews. On the field he never shut-up.

As a young player, at full back, I've read (too young to have seen him then) that he was a bit of nutter and was always in trouble. Maybe those who can remember could confirm.

Quiet man schmiet man...

Paddy Stanton is The King.

Don’t remember him ever being in trouble or a nutter on or off the field

Always a gentleman that led by example a model professional

I would also say for a captain he was quite quiet more telling people what to do and pointing but only when required

Did you ever see him play?

As for full back cannot remember that one either maybe as you say as a teenager or as a start in his early career his preferred positions were centre half preferably sweeper but will be best remembered as a midfield player

Legend!
    Last edited by BILLYHIBS; 09-04-2020 at 02:58 AM.

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    Ones I've seen.

Pat Stanton by a mile, not just a fantastic all round footballer but a leader, he took games by the scruff off the neck when needed and often charged forward for a vital goal.

Then Rob Jones, and David Gray both leaders who I won't attempt to split.

I also thought John Hughes was an excellent leader, he was proud to have the armband.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Bostonhibby; 09-04-2020 at 07:57 AM.

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

Patrick Gordon Stanton by a country mile

First Team Breakthrough
    I don't remember Stanton's 60's career, but I don't think he was ever a full back or a nutter on the field. He played sweeper/centre half until he moved in to central midfield.

In terms of performance level and drive, Stanton above all for me.

Murdo McLeod, trophy winning captain, but I expected more from a man with his pedigree. |Far from a failure, but I suppose I expected more. He just wasn't as talented a footballer as the likes of Sauzee or Stanton.
    I don’t know where you read this but it must have bean the Beano or the Dandy , Pat was a Class act, A superb player ,

Quote Originally Posted by Viva_Palmeiras View Post
    Can probably guess the way this will go but...

Given I wasn’t around for the Famous 5 or Turnbulls Tornadoes....

Real Leaders over the piece have been few and far between IMO

Gordon Rae
    Murdo
    Sauzee
    Jones
    SDG

Ones I didn’t rate
    Goram (just to get around pay structure)
    Thomson (just to get around pay structure?)

Honourable mentions
    Hoggy
    McPake (gave us some hope in dark times)

Probably going for SDG.
    Is this just for the mens team?

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    Don’t remember him ever being in trouble or a nutter on or off the field

I would also say for a captain he was quite quiet more telling people what to do and pointing but only when required

As for full back cannot remember that one either maybe as you say as a teenager or as a start in his early career his preferred positions were centre half preferably sweeper but will be best remembered as a midfield player

Legend!

100% agree, his class was shown by the fact that he never really got to play in his best position for Hibs, because he could play in midfield, to accommodate John Blackley another super player .

Gray undoubtedly the best I've seen.

Testimonial Due
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Iainhfc PSN ID: Iainhfc
    Yogi was my fav for a long time

@hibs.net private member Frazerbob's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisski33 View Post
    Wouldnt say mcpake tbh for me esp after the 2012 cup final!
    Not sure anyone can blame McPake for that fiasco. After that, he helped grab the team by the scruff of the neck and, particularly in Derbies, stop feeling sorry for ourselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Frazerbob View Post
    Not sure anyone can blame McPake for that fiasco. After that, he helped grab the team by the scruff of the neck and, particularly in Derbies, stop feeling sorry for ourselves.
    Scored the goal to give us a smidgen of hope at half time soon to be dashed by Craig Thomson

If you dont remember how can you come to any conclusion

...and he did play full back as a teenager.

The first games I saw him play for Hibs were as an attacker wearing either 8 or 10.One of these games was against Dundee with Gordon Smith playing for them.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by 90+2 View Post
    Sir David. Brought us the cup then brought us up. Was a real leader from the shambles after relegation and was the first signing of post Butcher era. A real leader.
    I’m changing after today, Gary Caldwell 😁

@hibs.net private member
    Joe Davis, penalty king 🤴

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by confused View Post
    I don’t know where you read this but it must have bean the Beano or the Dandy , Pat was a Class act, A superb player ,
    Confused by name, Confused by nature. I don’t think you actually understood what or perhaps even read what I said, did you? Either way, no need for the Dandy and Beano type comment, it just makes you look even more of a fud,
    Last edited by superfurryhibby; 09-04-2020 at 10:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mibbes Aye View Post
    If Geebsie was captain when he made that tackle on Colquhoun (which I can never find a link to, but I know it is out there) then it is thread closed.

SDG, Stanton, Sauzee, that's just so much blah blah blah. Geebsie all the way (if he was skipper when he crunched Colquhoun )
    Surprised this is the only mention Geebsie’s had.

He was the captain of my favourite Hibs team and boy did he get stuck in.

@hibs.net private member O'Rourke3's Avatar
    Season after season. Stanton. Still in my top 2 of 3 greatest footballers. In terms of "when the going gets tough" SDG hands down. His commitment in the second half of the cup final was immense. I'm not just thinking of the goal, that was the icing on the cake. 15 mins to go and I thought he was having to go off and I was sharting myself...

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ancient hibee View Post
    The first games I saw him play for Hibs were as an attacker wearing either 8 or 10.One of these games was against Dundee with Gordon Smith playing for them.

Made his debut Motherwell away as an inside forward scored in a 3-4 defeat IIRC

Joe McBride scored a hatrick for Motherwell
    Last edited by BILLYHIBS; 10-04-2020 at 02:37 AM.

Testimonial Due
    Stanton
    McNamarra
    Yogi
    Sauzee
    Gray

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    Surprised this is the only mention Geebsie’s had.

He was the captain of my favourite Hibs team and boy did he get stuck in.

Very quick over 15 yards recovery was excellent very hard but fair tackler attitude and commitment was spot on never let us down
    Last edited by BILLYHIBS; 10-04-2020 at 02:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CentreLine View Post
    Joe Davis, penalty king 🤴
    Not against Hamburg he wasn't

We live in the now our own life time which is understandable.However if your looking at the foundation of our great club then Michael Whelahan must get a mention.

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    The Quiet Man tag was a press nickname as Pat wasn't too forward in interviews. On the field he never shut-up.

As a young player, at full back, I've read (too young to have seen him then) that he was a bit of nutter and was always in trouble. Maybe those who can remember could confirm.

Quiet man schmiet man...

Paddy Stanton is The King.

So. you never saw Stanton play as a youngster, but you've read things, eh, ok

Stanton played at right half in his earliest games for Hibs, he moved back to defence in his first season. I would recommend you return to the books, because your making things up. Imagine we could only comment on players we've seen play, there would be no discussion about the brilliance of Gordon Smith, joe Baker etc, etc.

You're also wrong about the quiet man nickname and about him being a bit of a nutter on the field. Maybe you're mixing him up with John McNamee, one of his early defensive partners, who by all accounts was a man with a short fuse.

Sometimes this place is brutal. These kind of responses typify the worst of Hibs net. Misinformed, a bit arrogant and just unnecessarily unpleasant.

Earlier in the thread I had replied to someone who highlighted Murdo McLeod as a great Hibs captain. I went on to say that he was a trophy winner, but in my view he wasn't close to Stanton or Sauzee as a player and leader on the field. Soon after I get a muppet asking if I had read that in the Beano or Dandy etc. The radge had assumed I was dissing Stanton and took offence. At least bother to read before rushing to get in an over aroused reply FFS.
    Last edited by superfurryhibby; 10-04-2020 at 09:35 AM.

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by spike220 View Post
    Is this just for the mens team?
    Tbh that’s what I had in mind but happy to widen it out I only know Joelle Murray but haven’t seen enough games to comment . Many will likely be the same so perhaps less of a debate but happy to hear others views?
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

@hibs.net private member Seveno's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by O'Rourke3 View Post
    Season after season. Stanton. Still in my top 2 of 3 greatest footballers. In terms of "when the going gets tough" SDG hands down. His commitment in the second half of the cup final was immense. I'm not just thinking of the goal, that was the icing on the cake. 15 mins to go and I thought he was having to go off and I was sharting myself...

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
    Totally agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Sammy7nil View Post
    It is a funny one as Paddy was known as the quite man! He also thought he was played out of position his whole career until he went to Celtic. He said I got away with it in midfield as he popped up with the odd goal but always thought he should have played sweeper. just goes to show how good he was.

Of the original list i would have to say Rae real warrior and led by example whilst still coming across as a genuine nice guy.
    Not sure about that
    he was a brilliant attacking midfielder and scored loads of important goals
    he would have been wasted as a sweeper in his younger days
    by the time he went to celtic I agree that was probably the better position to play in his twilight years

Quote Originally Posted by houstonhibbee View Post
    Not sure about that
    he was a brilliant attacking midfielder and scored loads of important goals
    he would have been wasted as a sweeper in his younger days
    by the time he went to celtic I agree that was probably the better position to play in his twilight years
    It was Pat himself who said it, on that rubbish Roughie and other guy who I can't recall on a STV show now on YouTube. He also said he could not recall why he was called the quiet man

Quote Originally Posted by Sammy7nil View Post
    It was Pat himself who said it, on that rubbish Roughie and other guy who I can't recall on a STV show now on YouTube. He also said he could not recall why he was called the quiet man
    OK, before this goes totally cold.

So Pat himself couldn’t recall himself why he was called The Quiet Man. I can’t ever recall him ever being called that until the biography with that title came out. When it appeared it confused me among others who had seen him and knew him. The explanation I was given by Simon Pia was that he a bit taciturn in interviews, nothing to do with his on field demeanour.

So. you never saw Stanton play as a youngster, but you've read things, eh, ok

Stanton played at right half in his earliest games for Hibs, he moved back to defence in his first season. I would recommend you return to the books, because your making things up. Imagine we could only comment on players we've seen play, there would be no discussion about the brilliance of Gordon Smith, joe Baker etc, etc.

You're also wrong about the quiet man nickname and about him being a bit of a nutter on the field. Maybe you're mixing him up with John McNamee, one of his early defensive partners, who by all accounts was a man with a short fuse.
    I don't remember Stanton's 60's career, but I don't think he was ever a full back or a nutter on the field. He played sweeper/centre half until he moved in to central midfield.
    What I meant was I didn’t see Pat Stanton play when he was a youngster so that puts us both in the same boat. ..and yes, I’ve read things about Stanton probably the same as you. When I said he was “a bit of a nutter” it was maybe
    stretching things a bit. What I did read was that he was a bit “overenthusiastic” as a youngster and had to be told to “calm down”.
    Can’t remember where but I most definitely have that recollection. As to the rest of your post, well you’re a radge as well as me if you think others are the only ones capable of flying of the handle. And as you didn’t see him in the 60’s either you cannot say for certain if he played any games, however few, at fullback or not. Players are given all sorts of experience when they are young and if he played at wing-half/outside right there is every chance he played the odd game at full-back. I can’t verify that but can recall “reading it”.

Yes, Billy. My first Hibs game was 1968 so saw him play in the vast majority of home games until he was transferred to Celtic
    and around 50% of away matches in that period. As laddies we had our favourite spot down on the wall in line with the 18 yard line at the slope and watched as Pat regularly talked John Brownlie (a teenager at the time remember) through games. Talked, not ranted or shouted or moaned, talked. He certainly never restricted himself to “pointing” which is just an image in all our memories. No one could “point” their way through a career as Hibs captain. He was also in a position to talk the defence through certain situations and I saw him communicate with defenders many, many times. When Stein signed him for Celtic it was for two things, for Pat’s presence as a player on the park and to give Roy Aitkin and Roddy MacDonald their education. No way would that education be communicated by “pointing” at Parkhead.

Model professional yes. If you want to see him as “always a gentleman” he was in a way. There was the time when Rangers
    were awarded a goal at ER, which was, typically, off-side and we had a perfect vantages our spot at the wall as Stanton and Blackley ran across to the linesman. I’ll quote Stanton to the best of my memory here “How’s about that for off-side then ya ******ing blind b******”, Blackley joined in, “There’s no point Pat he’s one of them.” Pat - “Aye, a Rangers loving b*******”. The linesman just stared ahead and didn’t move a muscle. Still seems gentlemanly to me, but not very quiet. Gentlemen from Niddrie don't suffer fools gladly.

superfurryhibby will probably accuse me of making things up again but he can go whistle, in the nicest possible spirit.

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    In backing Kato here, I recall being at the Besa game and Pat giving the stand side linesman a verbal and very unquiet paggering and the fellah wouldn’t have been English speaking either. And we were hammering them at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Iggy Pope View Post
    In backing Kato here, I recall being at the Besa game and Pat giving the stand side linesman a verbal and very unquiet paggering and the fellah wouldn’t have been English speaking either. And we were hammering them at the time.
    Thankyou, Iggy. What I wanted to emphasise mostly here is the confusion I felt when I saw the title of Pat's biography. Not my recollection at all. He wasn't a shouter but always a talker on the park.

Maybe he was quiet in relation to people like Roy Aitken, who "talked" so hard at match officials he'd leave them covered in a coat of his spittle.