hibs.net Messageboard

This is how it felt (Celtic 09 12 1972)

After my Drybrough Cup offering last time out, I confess I’m not obsessed with recalling Hibs wins over Celtic – honest! This one was special though, very special as it landed Hibs the Scottish League Cup and sparked incredible scenes of celebration both at Hampden and the streets of Edinburgh later that same day.

I remember thinking prior to the game that we had a tough job on our hands. Yes we’d beaten Celtic on our last visit to Hampden but in my mind that meant they’d be all the more determined to cuff us this time. Both clubs had been in good form and when Hibs beat the club formerly known as Rangers in the semi, I was slightly more confident going in to this game.

In the week leading up to that final, I avidly followed the preparations as reported in the Edinburgh Evening News. No internet in those days; no opportunity to listen to interviews from the players and manager although I do recall a mutual acquaintance telling me that Eddie Turnbull was all fired up and desperate to put one over his arch nemesis Jock Stein. I prayed he would be right.

Hampden was pretty packed at both ends as the teams ran out. No fancy fireworks as the men in green and white readied to face each other. Back then there was no problem in both sides wearing their first team kits and I remain convinced to this day that they should be able to do so now. Second and third kits have become the norm and I’ve bought a few tops myself but I’m never prouder than when I’m wearing the green and white – usually in the form of a scarf these days.

I was getting more and more nervous in the build up to the ref’s whistle to start the game and in the early minutes my nervousness increased as Celtic looked to dominate from the off. Dalglish looked every bit the class player he was and Jimmy Johnstone jinked and swerved but found his match in John Brownlie. For Hibs part, Gordon always posed a threat but the real deal that day was our captain and my hero Pat Stanton. Pat was absolutely immense and bossed the midfield throughout, grabbing the opening goal when Mickey Edwards flicked the ball up and over the Celtic wall. Pat took a touch to control the ball but rather than trying to get a shot away early he moved along the six yard line before firing past Evan Williams.

Bedlam in the Hibs end built to a crescendo when about five minutes later, Pat strode magnificently down the right side before delivering an inch perfect cross onto the head of his old buddy Jimmy O’Rourke. Jimmy rattled a powerful header past Williams and I was in heaven, scarcely believing what I was seeing. This was a great Hibs team of that there is no doubt but Celtic were pretty special too and that made the two goal lead all the more enjoyable.

It was pretty much all Hibs for a spell and Alan Gordon was unlucky to see an effort blocked before it crossed the line. To their credit, Celtic tried to give their fans something to cheer and truth be told they did, and very loudly, when Dalglish went on a mazy run, leaving defenders in his wake before striking the ball past Jim Herriot. Nowadays I’d panic a bit, worried that we might cave but that is now and not back then as I watched my club control the remainder of the game to run out 2-1 winners and I admit I cried a bit when Pat led the players towards our support to celebrate.

We were miles from the Directors box, where the trophy was to be presented but I’ve seen pictures and TV coverage of that since and I suggest the next time you look at those you study the look on the players’ faces, especially Paddy Stanton – still my favourite ever Hibs player.

The return to Edinburgh was long but enjoyable for once and the crowds in the streets were just astonishing. We stood near the entrance to the hotel then known as the North British and howled our delight when the players came out onto a balcony to acknowledge our presence.

We’ve won cups since and it’s always very uplifting. May 2016 tops my list of course but that 1972 win is a worthy second – one I’ll never forget.

Hibs: Herriot, Brownlie, Schaedler, Stanton, Black, Blackley, Edwards, O’Rourke, Gordon, Cropley and Duncan.
    This is how it feels

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member stantonhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyboy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    After my Drybrough Cup offering last time out, I confess I’m not obsessed with recalling Hibs wins over Celtic – honest! This one was special though, very special as it landed Hibs the Scottish League Cup and sparked incredible scenes of celebration both at Hampden and the streets of Edinburgh later that same day.

I remember thinking prior to the game that we had a tough job on our hands. Yes we’d beaten Celtic on our last visit to Hampden but in my mind that meant they’d be all the more determined to cuff us this time. Both clubs had been in good form and when Hibs beat the club formerly known as Rangers in the semi, I was slightly more confident going in to this game.

In the week leading up to that final, I avidly followed the preparations as reported in the Edinburgh Evening News. No internet in those days; no opportunity to listen to interviews from the players and manager although I do recall a mutual acquaintance telling me that Eddie Turnbull was all fired up and desperate to put one over his arch nemesis Jock Stein. I prayed he would be right.

Hampden was pretty packed at both ends as the teams ran out. No fancy fireworks as the men in green and white readied to face each other. Back then there was no problem in both sides wearing their first team kits and I remain convinced to this day that they should be able to do so now. Second and third kits have become the norm and I’ve bought a few tops myself but I’m never prouder than when I’m wearing the green and white – usually in the form of a scarf these days.

I was getting more and more nervous in the build up to the ref’s whistle to start the game and in the early minutes my nervousness increased as Celtic looked to dominate from the off. Dalglish looked every bit the class player he was and Jimmy Johnstone jinked and swerved but found his match in John Brownlie. For Hibs part, Gordon always posed a threat but the real deal that day was our captain and my hero Pat Stanton. Pat was absolutely immense and bossed the midfield throughout, grabbing the opening goal when Mickey Edwards flicked the ball up and over the Celtic wall. Pat took a touch to control the ball but rather than trying to get a shot away early he moved along the six yard line before firing past Evan Williams.

Bedlam in the Hibs end built to a crescendo when about five minutes later, Pat strode magnificently down the right side before delivering an inch perfect cross onto the head of his old buddy Jimmy O’Rourke. Jimmy rattled a powerful header past Williams and I was in heaven, scarcely believing what I was seeing. This was a great Hibs team of that there is no doubt but Celtic were pretty special too and that made the two goal lead all the more enjoyable.

It was pretty much all Hibs for a spell and Alan Gordon was unlucky to see an effort blocked before it crossed the line. To their credit, Celtic tried to give their fans something to cheer and truth be told they did, and very loudly, when Dalglish went on a mazy run, leaving defenders in his wake before striking the ball past Jim Herriot. Nowadays I’d panic a bit, worried that we might cave but that is now and not back then as I watched my club control the remainder of the game to run out 2-1 winners and I admit I cried a bit when Pat led the players towards our support to celebrate.

We were miles from the Directors box, where the trophy was to be presented but I’ve seen pictures and TV coverage of that since and I suggest the next time you look at those you study the look on the players’ faces, especially Paddy Stanton – still my favourite ever Hibs player.

The return to Edinburgh was long but enjoyable for once and the crowds in the streets were just astonishing. We stood near the entrance to the hotel then known as the North British and howled our delight when the players came out onto a balcony to acknowledge our presence.

We’ve won cups since and it’s always very uplifting. May 2016 tops my list of course but that 1972 win is a worthy second – one I’ll never forget.

Hibs: Herriot, Brownlie, Schaedler, Stanton, Black, Blackley, Edwards, O’Rourke, Gordon, Cropley and Duncan.
    Excellent stuff. I was only 6 but remember my mum (dad was at the game) walking me to where Drumbrae roundabout is to watch the open top bus.

You put my recollection of that day into perfect words Jonnyboy.
    I was at the 6-1 game and as a youngster it scared me for many years. I later told Dixie Deans many years later to his face and felt better for it but the best recovery soon after was the league cup win and something that hasn't beat it until 2016. Thanks for the memory

@hibs.net private member
    Great description. And when all that was going on I was obliged to be at Tynecastle representing my school in the half time penalty prize competition. Got pelted with coins for having my Hibs socks on. On the way home we watched the scores coming in on a tv in Patrick Thomson’s window on north bridge. Made sure to be back in town to watch the cup paraded and the players celebrate from a window of the North British Hotel.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Great write up and that win was perfect especially after the Scottish cup horsing. Hibs were fantastic that day against an excellent Celtic team. Pats best game imo.

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    That's a great read Jonnyboy.

I got to go on a supporters bus with my big cousin, I'd been to the 6-1 game and just remember being excited at the prospect of beating them this time, I honestly thought we could beat anyone in those days.

The match just flew by and even reflecting on it now it was a bit of a blur, great to read your take on it.

I've still got the rosette I bought at the ground and my lucky hat that I got new for the game, it's been at every final since, not always lucky but still going strong.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

Blog Entries
    Superb as ever John! Interesting that you mention Jimmy Johnstone vs John Brownlie. When I saw that Stein had actually moved Jinky to the left wing to try & stop Brownlie marauding down the right then I was filled with confidence. What a negative & futile tactic from Stein, who as you say Turnbull loathed. Just wonderful that Pat captained us superbly & he & Jimmy scored the goals. 2 lifelong Hibs supporters, who both attended the same school, winning Hibs the cup. Roy of the Rovers, eat your heart out!

Another great report.

Just like brog above the minute I saw Johnstone on the left I was full of confidence as it was obvious Stein was trying to stop us playing.Must have been obvious to the players too.Also I thought their goal might have been offside.We could have scored four or five.

Superb as always John.

I was in Manchester on the 9th of December 1972, having spent the first half of that week in London and although I got a very early train back to Edinburgh, it was looking grim as I had been on the train for hours and it was now past 2PM and I hadn't a clue where I was and didn't recognise the names of any of the multiple stops as the train seemed to stop at every station on route. My saviour came as it pulled in to Glasgow on route to Edinburgh so I jumped off the train and put the suitcase into left luggage and made my way to Hampden.

I eventually arrived back in Edinburgh a very delighted 16yo and with the crowd already amassed at the North British I joined them in time to see the cup being paraded from the balcony as I stood there with my reclaimed suitcase between my legs.

For the previous month I had been transferred from my original workplace where my boss made sure I left work early enough on the Saturday to go to the football [all bar Aberdeen away], my boss at the new location wouldn't allow this, so I had to do with my [late] lunch hour spending 40 minutes travelling to and from ER to get 20 minutes of the action and no away games.

That Saturday was the last day of a week's holiday where I had spent it in the south and on the Monday I put in my week's notice, which made my last day at work the Saturday after the cup win and what I thought was going to be my last 20 minutes at ER for a while turned out to be eventful as I saw four of the eight goals Hibs scored that day.

I was due to move south the following day [Sunday] but delayed it until the Tuesday and as I was saying my goodbyes back at my original workplace, before going along the road to the station, ticket already bought, the area manager arrived and after a short discussion, I withdrew my resignation as he agreed to transfer me back to my original workplace and therefore back to seeing my beloved Hibs. I saw out the remainder of the season before eventually moving south.
    Last edited by Ray_; 07-04-2020 at 09:47 PM.

The Pat Stanton Final. I'm so glad that both my favourite ever Hibs players scored that day. Wonderful performances from all the lads.

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Brilliant Jonnyboy as usual

Still got the EEN Gilzean framed poster hanging up in my Dining Room signed by Paddy of course

After 1-6 Eddie Turnbull said to the waiting press “ We’ll be back!”

I had total faith in HIBS but I knew that even although we had beaten them 5-3 in August at Hampden this was the real deal and we had to beat them in a national cup final and I just knew deep down HIBS were the better team and could win this

Celtic would be no pushovers as only the season before they had been in the European Cup Final

The ballboys ran out the tunnel in their black tracksuits and the teams appeared to the chant of “Hibees! Hibees!” as the rain lashed down

As you said Pat Stanton was superb totally bossed the midfield gliding across the grass so majestic elegant and graceful running past Celtic players with the ball as if they weren’t there barking orders pointing telling players where to stand brilliantly scoring one and getting one assist for his old mucker ORourke

When Dalglish scored I feared the worst I just prayed for the ref to blow the final whistle in order that justice may be seen to be served and we would get some recompense for that embarrassing Scottish Cup Final defeat

When the Ref blew the final whistle I thought my 12 year old heart was going to burst Pat Stanton brought the players over to our corner to chants of Hibees! Hibees! there were tears in my eyes and I did not know whether to laugh or cry and the rain which was now running down the back of my neck did not bother me as I had raised my HIBS Supporters dark green with white tassels scarf high above my head with both hands in jubilant celebration

I remember seeing Paddy going up to collect the Cup carefully wiping his hands clean on the Union Jack table cloth and lifting up the cup to show to the fans gathered at The Rangers End the silver of the cup glistening shining brightly and reflecting off the floodlights through the night drizzle

A real what kept you HIBS moment

Then it was back through to Edinburgh to the NB as fast as the Supporters Bus could take us

I thought it would be the first of many trophies for the Tornadoes
    Last edited by BILLYHIBS; 09-04-2020 at 03:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by brog View Post
    Superb as ever John! Interesting that you mention Jimmy Johnstone vs John Brownlie. When I saw that Stein had actually moved Jinky to the left wing to try & stop Brownlie marauding down the right then I was filled with confidence. What a negative & futile tactic from Stein, who as you say Turnbull loathed. Just wonderful that Pat captained us superbly & he & Jimmy scored the goals. 2 lifelong Hibs supporters, who both attended the same school, winning Hibs the cup. Roy of the Rovers, eat your heart out!
    Spot on, B. Two lifelong Hibees living the dream 👍
    This is how it feels

Funny this report should appear id just been talking to my son about watching this final the other dayto lift my boredum whilst under isolation.

it was indeed a very special day for us Hibbys. A dreich December day with heavy rain falling when we left Easter Road.

Near the top of Easter Road a wee laddie thought he would put a stone through our bus window before we even got to the top of Easter Road.

It was freezing cold all the way through and because we had to stop to make sure the window wasnt coming in on us we missed the kick off.

Thousands of Hibs supporters were locked out as our end was full to bursting. To get in we had to sneak in the Celtic gates up from where we should have been.

Starting at the top of the high terracing we had to push our way towards the front so i could see what was going on. Eventually we got near enough so i could see the pitch

and how the game was played out. We where surrounded by celtic supporters stinking of alcohol and singing their songs. So we had to watch what we were shouting out.

When that first goal went in we could not help ourselves and were jumping in joy id grabbed this guy beside me and was hugging him tight. he turned around to peel me off

him and all is saw was the celtic badges covering his scarf and the look of fear on his face wondering what on earth was happening to him!

I immediately apologised to him and he just patted me on the back saying " its aw rite hen, it was a good goal" phew!!

When Dalgleish scored i was fearing the worst but knew that the defence would not let us down. Blackley was taking no prisoners that day everyone who dared get passed him

was left on the ground in agony!

A superb display of football by both teams with Hibs edging it. It was bedlam when the final whistle went and we tried to make our way against the on coming celtic supporters

exiting the stadium. The Hampden mud all over our shoes and trousers but we didnt mind a bit!

The journey home was fraught with rain coming in that window all the way past Tynecastle with the horn blaring!

Standing under that balcony watching the players hand the trophy around was very emotional. Getting home and dried off we settled down to watch Scotsport for a rerun
    of the game highlights and i remember us laughing at the after game interiew with John Blackley and Pat Stanton with the cup.

If you get a chance to watch it you will see why we had to laugh. JB was stagestruck to say the least but we didnt care!

its days like this and games like this that stay in your memory and make you smile when you think of them. Good times that will never be forgotten and cant be replaced.

May 2016 is another day of Hibs memories made and shared to keep us smiling!

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stantons Angel View Post
    Funny this report should appear id just been talking to my son about watching this final the other dayto lift my boredum whilst under isolation.

it was indeed a very special day for us Hibbys. A dreich December day with heavy rain falling when we left Easter Road.

Near the top of Easter Road a wee laddie thought he would put a stone through our bus window before we even got to the top of Easter Road.

It was freezing cold all the way through and because we had to stop to make sure the window wasnt coming in on us we missed the kick off.

Thousands of Hibs supporters were locked out as our end was full to bursting. To get in we had to sneak in the Celtic gates up from where we should have been.

Starting at the top of the high terracing we had to push our way towards the front so i could see what was going on. Eventually we got near enough so i could see the pitch

and how the game was played out. We where surrounded by celtic supporters stinking of alcohol and singing their songs. So we had to watch what we were shouting out.

When that first goal went in we could not help ourselves and were jumping in joy id grabbed this guy beside me and was hugging him tight. he turned around to peel me off

him and all is saw was the celtic badges covering his scarf and the look of fear on his face wondering what on earth was happening to him!

I immediately apologised to him and he just patted me on the back saying " its aw rite hen, it was a good goal" phew!!

When Dalgleish scored i was fearing the worst but knew that the defence would not let us down. Blackley was taking no prisoners that day everyone who dared get passed him

was left on the ground in agony!

A superb display of football by both teams with Hibs edging it. It was bedlam when the final whistle went and we tried to make our way against the on coming celtic supporters

exiting the stadium. The Hampden mud all over our shoes and trousers but we didnt mind a bit!

The journey home was fraught with rain coming in that window all the way past Tynecastle with the horn blaring!

Standing under that balcony watching the players hand the trophy around was very emotional. Getting home and dried off we settled down to watch Scotsport for a rerun
    of the game highlights and i remember us laughing at the after game interiew with John Blackley and Pat Stanton with the cup.

If you get a chance to watch it you will see why we had to laugh. JB was stagestruck to say the least but we didnt care!

its days like this and games like this that stay in your memory and make you smile when you think of them. Good times that will never be forgotten and cant be replaced.

May 2016 is another day of Hibs memories made and shared to keep us smiling!
    Remember reading a story from Pat Stanton saying that when the team bus left Easter Road they got as far as Bothwell Street and a wee laddie launched a half brick through the windae of the team bus By the time they got to Glasgow they were freezing and definitely wide awake no need for a warm up they were good to go and looking to get warmed up in the action that lay ahead

It was a fantastic game to be at, though, unlike Jonnyboy, I WAS panicking after Celtic pulled one back. Memories of the game are tinged with a bit of regret too that, though I thought it was just the start of that great team winning major trophies, it was sadly the end.

Went on the excursion buses from St Andrews Square, (remember them). A group of spotty 15 year olds with a carry oot.

Great atmosphere Great game. Not so great Celtic supporters outside after it. We got chased back to the bus and one boy got a punch in
    the mouth from a Celtic fan old enough to be his dad.

Great scenes back at the old NB Hotel. We thought that it would happen every season.
    Last edited by One Day; 09-04-2020 at 03:09 PM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    Remember reading a story from Pat Stanton saying that when the team bus left Easter Road they got as far as Bothwell Street and a wee laddie launched a half brick through the windae of the team bus By the time they got to Glasgow they were freezing and definitely wide awake no need for a warm up they were good to go and looking to get warmed up in the action that lay ahead
    Yip Billy, i think it was the same wee laddie!