hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar

Happy birthday joe tortolano

Joe Joe Super Joe Super Tortolano

Happy Birthday Joe Many Happy Returns always one of my favourites and many thanks for the wonderful memories

https://youtu.be/RCoMY0UhFiQ

2. Log in to remove the advert

One of the few bright spots in an otherwise drab mid-1980s Hibs and stayed with us till the mid 90s.

Happy Birthday Joe

Happy birthday Joe, thanks for the memories!

Coaching Staff
    Loved Joe, had a hard time from certain sections of the support which he didn't deserve . Gave 100% every time he played. ��

@hibs.net private member DarlingtonHibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lago View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Loved Joe, had a hard time from certain sections of the support which he didn't deserve . Gave 100% every time he played. ��
    Gave 100% to Gordon Strachan 😂

Quote Originally Posted by DarlingtonHibee View Post
    Gave 100% to Gordon Strachan 😂
    Let’s not talk about that 😬

Blog Entries
    Joe T, great guy & always gave 100% for the jersey. Happy birthday Joe!

His goal vs Stenhousemuir was an absolute peach. That game was beamed back live to Murrayfield ice rink if I recall correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by Clarence View Post
    His goal vs Stenhousemuir was an absolute peach. That game was beamed back live to Murrayfield ice rink if I recall correctly.
    He scored a fabulous goal at Pittodrie in a rare midweek 2 nil win. Hibs played great that night and Joe came on as a sub and ran in on goal from around the halfway line cork screwing Willie Miller into the pitch as he twisted him round and round again before thumping a shot past a helpless Jim Leighton.
    Joe loved it and so did the sparse Hibs away support in the Beach End enjoying big celebrations.

Happy Birthday Super Joe.

Quote Originally Posted by EVENTUALLY View Post
    He scored a fabulous goal at Pittodrie in a rare midweek 2 nil win. Hibs played great that night and Joe came on as a sub and ran in on goal from around the halfway line cork screwing Willie Miller into the pitch as he twisted him round and round again before thumping a shot past a helpless Jim Leighton.
    Joe loved it and so did the sparse Hibs away support in the Beach End enjoying big celebrations.

Happy Birthday Super Joe.
    Saw Joe, Joe, Super Joe, Super Tortolano (or so the song went) score a cracking goal at New Kilbowie Park against Clydebank at the goals in front of the club building in March 1986 - went on a solo run and curled a cracker of a shot into the far corner - a bit like McCleish against the Huns in 1982 Cup Final / Ronnie Whelan for Liverpool in a Wembley final - but Joe's was far better!

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

Left by mutual consent!
    Found this under 'Super Joe Tortolano (Hibernian FC)' on YouTube -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCoMY0UhFiQ

Hated the odd spectacular goal, did Joe, eh !!

Just noticed, on Joe's Wikipedia-page, somebody's (a Jambo most likely !) f*****d about with it - anyone who can get into Wikipedia' and amend it ?
    Last edited by Deansy; 06-04-2020 at 10:53 PM.

Always amazes me the love-in Joe gets on here.
    The boy was hounded by the vast majority of fans when he played for us.
    It's a pity people didn't show him the respect then as they seen to want to do now. He could have been a magnificent player for us if we had given him the backing his talent deserved.

Quote Originally Posted by Deansy View Post

Just noticed, on Joe's Wikipedia-page, somebody's (a Jambo most likely !) f*****d about with it - anyone who can get into Wikipedia' and amend it ?

If you mean this...

"where they regularly threw pies at the fat wee man "

...that's it removed :)

Agree used to take pelters regularly from a section of the support but always just put his head down and got on with it a wand of a left foot and could put over a mean cross

Never gave less than 100%

Came up from West Brom looking for a club first stop was Tinycastle second stop Easter Road to meet John Blackley and said he just felt at home here and this was the place for him

Still dunno what he was doing with the tackle on Strachan versus Man Utd IIRC he had been out of the team for a while and might have been a bit ring rusty

Quote Originally Posted by RIP Bestie View Post
    Always amazes me the love-in Joe gets on here.
    The boy was hounded by the vast majority of fans when he played for us.
    It's a pity people didn't show him the respect then as they seen to want to do now. He could have been a magnificent player for us if we had given him the backing his talent deserved.
    I think a big part of the problem with Torto was that Miller turned him into a left-back. He didn't have the defensive attributes, and just looked a bag of nerves. When he was flying down the wing at the other end of the park he looked far more comfortable, and we should have got more out of a young player with his pace and lovely left foot.

He fits the 'cult hero' status that seems to have now been bestowed upon him!

Quote Originally Posted by SideBurns View Post
    Miller turned him into a left-back.

Best crosser of the ball we had and Miller instructed him not to go over the half way line.

The most boring manager we ever had.

Me and my mate went to Brechin for a cup game in the 80s. We got in early and sober and stood at the half way line leaning on the barrier. For those who haven't been there, the players were only a few feet away from the fans. Shortly after kick-off we were surrounded by a large bunch of drunken *******s who gave Joe T abuse everytime he ran past us. It was really nasty persona stuff and twice Joe told them to F*** off under his breath. Midway through the first half Joe spotted his chance when a 50/50 presented itself and he booted the ball as hard as he could into the group. Unfortunately it hit my mate square on the face, knocking his specks off and leaving the imprint of the ball which lasted several days. We won 2-0 if memory serves but I still laugh thinking about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hart RIP View Post
    Me and my mate went to Brechin for a cup game in the 80s. We got in early and sober and stood at the half way line leaning on the barrier. For those who haven't been there, the players were only a few feet away from the fans. Shortly after kick-off we were surrounded by a large bunch of drunken *******s who gave Joe T abuse everytime he ran past us. It was really nasty persona stuff and twice Joe told them to F*** off under his breath. Midway through the first half Joe spotted his chance when a 50/50 presented itself and he booted the ball as hard as he could into the group. Unfortunately it hit my mate square on the face, knocking his specks off and leaving the imprint of the ball which lasted several days. We won 2-0 if memory serves but I still laugh thinking about it.
    Went to that was that the pitch with the hedge round it like Saughton Enclosure ?

IIRC Celtic were playing at Montrose the same day and the local bizzies were tarring us with the same brush when they saw the green and white scarves

Quote Originally Posted by Deansy View Post
    Found this under 'Super Joe Tortolano (Hibernian FC)' on YouTube -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCoMY0UhFiQ

Hated the odd spectacular goal, did Joe, eh !!

Brilliant Deansy

First Team Breakthrough Tollhouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by One Day View Post
    Brilliant Deansy
    i missed that falkirk goal - was in the toilet.............

I personally passed on these messages to Joe yesterday...he absolutely loved the video...he has asked me to thank you guys today....thanks..you made him very happy yesterday!

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post

Best crosser of the ball we had and Miller instructed him not to go over the half way line.

No he wasn't, o'Neil, McAllister,Jackson,Wright. Miller done ok from 91 after the takeover bid. Some fans never liked him because if his connections to newco.

Quote Originally Posted by Potty78 View Post
    No he wasn't, o'Neil, McAllister,Jackson,Wright. Miller done ok from 91 after the takeover bid. Some fans never liked him because if his connections to newco.
    Think the point was that he never utilised that attacking talent to its true potential. Example being Joe playing as what was regarded as a left back when it was thought he was more effective further up the park. Some of the football played by Millers teams at that time was a joy to watch but for the most part was mindnumbingly boring. Hands up, I found it very hard to understand at times and very frustrating. Never understood having 11 players behind the ball at freekicks and corners (I know thats not technically possible but you know what I mean). Miller was ahead of his time tactically, I think this was kind of proved during his time with Benitez at Liverpool. His problem was that his manegerial style meant that players didnt buy into him or were technically good enough to deliver what he wanted from them. Maybe a confident Joe could have been the Andy Robertson of his time. He certainly had the ability but he must have been ****ting himself every time he went on the park in case he made a mistake. Some of the abuse Joe got from his own fans was disgusting.

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post

Have you forgot Bertie Auld?

Quote Originally Posted by RIP Bestie View Post
    Think the point was that he never utilised that attacking talent to its true potential. Example being Joe playing as what was regarded as a left back when it was thought he was more effective further up the park. Some of the football played by Millers teams at that time was a joy to watch but for the most part was mindnumbingly boring. Hands up, I found it very hard to understand at times and very frustrating. Never understood having 11 players behind the ball at freekicks and corners (I know thats not technically possible but you know what I mean). Miller was ahead of his time tactically, I think this was kind of proved during his time with Benitez at Liverpool. His problem was that his manegerial style meant that players didnt buy into him or were technically good enough to deliver what he wanted from them. Maybe a confident Joe could have been the Andy Robertson of his time. He certainly had the ability but he must have been ****ting himself every time he went on the park in case he made a mistake. Some of the abuse Joe got from his own fans was disgusting.
    My main problem with Miller was that he spent far too much time focussing on stopping the opposition, when he in fact has some cracking attacking players of his own with whom to attack - players like Joe T and Mickey Weir who were expected to perform too many defensive tasks that they were simply not suited to.

@hibs.net private member weecounty hibby's Avatar
    Regardless of his rangers connection the fact is that he had a good 18 months with us where we did play good attacking football. But remember he was manager for 10 years. Most of it terrible to watch. I do remember Bertie and it was worse under him but Miller definitely had that defensive mindset where he was most comfortable. It is a fact that guys like Joe T were told not to cross the halfway line! How would have been better used further forward or being allowed to attack more from full back.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith_M View Post
    If you mean this...

"where they regularly threw pies at the fat wee man "

...that's it removed :)
    Thanks Mate !!

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by SideBurns View Post
    I think a big part of the problem with Torto was that Miller turned him into a left-back. He didn't have the defensive attributes, and just looked a bag of nerves. When he was flying down the wing at the other end of the park he looked far more comfortable, and we should have got more out of a young player with his pace and lovely left foot.

He fits the 'cult hero' status that seems to have now been bestowed upon him!

Totally agree with you - he was a far better winger than a defender !. Funnily enough I feel the same way about Lewis - I think he's far better in his original position - midfield - than in defence !

Couldn't care less about his rangers career and resent the inference. I can spot the product on the park. You citing 6-12 months where we were decent doesn't change the rest of his tenure when we could be dull as dish water, over cautious and just plain boring.

When he was St Mirren manager their fans started singing some of the more bigoty chants favoured by Rangers fans. Miller went out his way to ask them to stop Always admired him for that My opinion on the football played while he was manager of Hibs has nothing to do with his Rangers days and you should think twice when saying such things.

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Keith_M View Post
    Have you forgot Bertie Auld?
    No, considered him but at least he
    A. Had a personality
    B. Didn't get to hang around too long.

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk