hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Mentioned on another thread I spoke with a friend who knows a coach at anEnglish Championship club in the top 2 and they said only way closed doors will happen if they put players and staff in a hotel for 8 weeks.

Can’t see this working as players would go mad and there are still other people who would have to have no contact with players.

You also have the issue of football going back to “normal” when the rest of the U.K. may be still trying to come to terms with all these deaths and illnesses.

Football can be a release but as highlighted with the wages situation in last few days the Premier league is very wary how it acts as doesn’t want the product getting a bad name. They donated £20 million after the salary cuts story came about to try make them look in a better light.

2. Log in to remove the advert

The elephant in the room is that folk aren’t going to flock back in numbers to sit right beside someone singing, shouting and coughing/spluttering not until a vaccine is discovered and made widely available- that’s probably 2 years away. I can see clubs halving the capacity of their stadium to employ, largely token, social distancing controls (every other seat vacant) to try to make a go of it but I don’t think the outlook is good.

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dublin07 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Testing is only effective if you symptoms. They could test negative but still have the virus and then spread it.
    This would be against social distancing and daily exercise laws. The only way I can see it being OK is if all players and staff from both teams were locked together in one place for 2 weeks afterwards and thats not going to happen and would mean 8 games taking at least 16 weeks.
    In other words the whole idea is bonkers. People are dying including young healthy folk uefa need a serious word with them self.
    Are you sure about that? I've never read that before.

In fact, I thought they had people who tested positive despite having no symptoms.
    Mon the Hibs.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    I don't see a problem with this if the players/coaches etc are all tested beforehand and are passed clear. Any player who tests positive for symptoms is excluded and self-isolates. If testing is continually being done by that stage, they'll identify any potential problems and prevent creating the circumstances of spread.

If it means televised football again, rather than a re-run of Euro ****ing 96, then let's hurry it up!

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 90+2 View Post
    It will happen in England where they will demand the Prem finishes. The championship too. Scotland will be different and the season won’t finish.

Who’s ‘they’ and how will they demand it?

Of course there is enormous pressure to restart the season for financial reasons but it just doesn’t look likely at the moment.

Testimonial Due
    What kind of game would it be?
    With social distancing you have to stay 2 metres away, and not allowed to go out with other than your family.
    I don't think footballers will be allowed to break the rules (unless your Jack Grealish), so that put closed door games to bed!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by gorgiegreens View Post
    So the rest of the UK have to observe the 2m distance. But it will be okay for 22 players to run about a pitch & 10 guys stuck in a dug oot.
    Agree. Not a chance in Hell of this Government allowing some overpaid footballers jeopardising the nations health via a second outbreak, after all the effort folk have put in to control the outbreak. No government would sanction that. UEFA haven’t got clue.

Playing being closed doors won’t happen.

22 starting players, another 10-14 on the bench, with staff, coaches and match officials you’d be looking at least 60 people involved.

They’d be endangering each other, and risking the spread. I desperately miss the game, but given how hard it’s been getting NHS staff tested, it wouldn’t sit right with me at all to be testing 60 people a game.

We’ll get our Hibs back - but behind closed doors from a public health sense shouldn’t be an option.

Quote Originally Posted by Sylar View Post
    I don't see a problem with this if the players/coaches etc are all tested beforehand and are passed clear. Any player who tests positive for symptoms is excluded and self-isolates. If testing is continually being done by that stage, they'll identify any potential problems and prevent creating the circumstances of spread.

If it means televised football again, rather than a re-run of Euro ****ing 96, then let's hurry it up!
    But if one player tests positive, will the whole team not have to isolate because they've been in contact? Even if they didn't, let's say 4/5 of our players are isolating and we are playing a team with a full squad available, how's that fair on everyone?

Testimonial Due
    It will not happen . Football is finished for months. The problems football clubs, TV companies are having pales into insignificance compared to what is happening with the virus locally and globally. The least of governments worries.

Quote Originally Posted by FilipinoHibs View Post
    It will not happen . Football is finished for months. The problems football clubs, TV companies are having pales into insignificance compared to what is happening with the virus locally and globally. The least of governments worries.

How are things in your part of the world, mate?

@hibs.net private member Jamesie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Clarence View Post
    The elephant in the room is that folk aren’t going to flock back in numbers to sit right beside someone singing, shouting and coughing/spluttering not until a vaccine is discovered and made widely available- that’s probably 2 years away. I can see clubs halving the capacity of their stadium to employ, largely token, social distancing controls (every other seat vacant) to try to make a go of it but I don’t think the outlook is good.
    This is a really good point that shouldn’t be overlooked: once this is all over, is there a good chance that societal attitudes change to the extent that people are a lot more infection and cleanliness conscious - and won’t wish to sit cheek by jowl in a packed stadium? Not the first time I’ve sat in the East Stand and felt spittle hit the back of my head from someone ranting and raving a few rows behind. Will that risk be enough to deter people from returning?

@hibs.net private member silverhibee's Avatar

It's not happening, simple as that, how many times do you test the players, they will have to train as well, in fact if players were told to play football behind closed doors they would refuse to do it.

And no government would allow it, FIFA UEFA would soon find out not everyone can be bribed.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamesie View Post
    This is a really good point that shouldn’t be overlooked: once this is all over, is there a good chance that societal attitudes change to the extent that people are a lot more infection and cleanliness conscious - and won’t wish to sit cheek by jowl in a packed stadium? Not the first time I’ve sat in the East Stand and felt spittle hit the back of my head from someone ranting and raving a few rows behind. Will that risk be enough to deter people from returning?
    I'd give it a few months after the lockdown ends and the majority won't give it a second thought.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post
    I'd give it a few months after the lockdown ends and the majority won't give it a second thought.
    I think the opposite will happen. When the restrictions are lifted I think it will be like new year on the streets. People will flock to the bars, restaurants, clubs and beaches. Golf clubs will be packed and so will football stadia. It may not last long but I really do so that sense of relief being a huge driver force towards what we see as normality.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Frazerbob View Post
    Uefa has lifted the ban on showing games starting at 3pm on a Saturday live on TV in England and Scotland. Making way for closed doors games to enable the leagues to finish.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52161561

Ah, the spirit of Sepp Blatter lives on - money DOES take precedent over human lives !

In all seriousness, it won't be long before UEFA print a serious apology and retraction after having it's arse felt (could be today/tomorrow ?) - no current government is going to allow 22 millionaires to kick a ball about as they'll know the moron-element in society will take it as a sign it's ok to go out !

Bubble football might be an option? Should help keep the distance. Would have to amend rules to allow running into people at full tilt, but other than that, no real changes needed.

With regards to the 'sporting integrity' angle. How would it be fair to conclude a season in July or August with squads comprising different players from those that played the last round of fixtures? You can't declare players can only play players already registered as some teams have multiple players approaching the end of their contracts. Contracts expire at the end of June and the players unions will be reluctant to advise their members to sign short term deals to complete the season. The risks of injuries and the impact on future earnings is too great.

Quote Originally Posted by gorgiegreens View Post
    So the rest of the UK have to observe the 2m distance. But it will be okay for 22 players to run about a pitch & 10 guys stuck in a dug oot.
    Exactly!

Players have been idle for weeks now, they will need a pre season by the time they got the go ahead for this nonsense. Just an aside to this will players be allowed to gob all over the pitch to spread the virus ? a pet hate of mine as i think it should be outlawed in any game.

@hibs.net private member Frazerbob's Avatar
    Aberdeen chairman just mentioned on Sportsound that the ‘whispers’ are that there will be no sport ‘with supporters’ until the turn of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by Frazerbob View Post
    Aberdeen chairman just mentioned on Sportsound that the ‘whispers’ are that there will be no sport ‘with supporters’ until the turn of the year.
    I would expect that to be the case.

That will probably be the case with all mass gatherings like concerts and festivals etc.

@hibs.net private member Frazerbob's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post
    I would expect that to be the case.

That will probably be the case with all mass gatherings like concerts and festivals etc.
    I agree and is clearly why the Saturday 3pm restriction has been requested to be lifted.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by 90+2 View Post
    It will happen in England where they will demand the Prem finishes. The championship too. Scotland will be different and the season won’t finish.
    In the current situation the only body that can DEMAND anything is the government and they will overule all and every daft notion of football or any other spectator event taking place before the virus is under some sort of control which, according to most expert predictions, is leaning more towards the end of the year rather the end of July.

The end is not yet in sight, not even the beginning of the end.

Coaching Staff

Sorry, disagree.

Experience in Oz where the league was played 'behind closed doors'for a couple of weeks was that some fans still travelled and turned up outside the ground and gathered together looking through cracks in the gates.

One guy even dressed up as the mascot and was only found out at half time.

Was funny then, but people crowding together for whatever reason isn't now, and I have no doubt the punters would still do it.

And, a couple of players subsequently tested positive to the virus, so as soon as that happened all bets would be off again.
    Last edited by Forza Fred; 04-04-2020 at 02:31 PM. Reason: .

I know this serms an unlikely thing for any Scottish football fan to say but the behaviour of UEFA is making both the SFA and the SPFL look positively competent well run governing bodies...😉😉😉

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    Quote Originally Posted by Forza Fred View Post
    Sorry, disagree.

Experience in Oz where the league was played 'behind closed doors'for a couple of weeks was that some fans still travelled and turned up outside the ground and gathered together looking through cracks in the gates.

Was funny then, but people crowding together for whatever reason isn't now, and I have no doubt the punters would still do it.

And, a couple of players subsequently tested positive to the virus, so as soon as that happened all bets would be off again.
    Ach, I'm well aware how unlikely it is. I'd just really like to see a game again sometime this side of Christmas, and the thought of rewatching Euro 96 as the only scheduled football on TV is nauseating. I'd take a 'behind closer door, training game feel' match to ancient broadcasts right now, but I'm aware it all pales into insignificance in the grander scheme of things.

You highlight one of the key problems for me though - PSG played Dortmund "behind closed doors" in the CL, and thousands of PSG fans turned up outside the ground.

Just think how positive and vibrant the atmosphere is going to be when we finally have our first home game again once all of this is done and dusted.

I think they need to make a decision on calling the league soon before contracts start running out etc - re-starting the league later in the year with effectively different teams would be daft.

Quote Originally Posted by Clarence View Post
    I think they need to make a decision on calling the league soon before contracts start running out etc - re-starting the league later in the year with effectively different teams would be daft.
    Yup I think they want to but hands are tied currently.

Players with flats / payments for cars possible etc.

Omeonga for example is back home in Belgium - he (along with Hibs) will want to know what his future plans are. But then is restricted to travel.

It may work in Hibs favour that the loan deals are extended for another season. Who knows what will happen to Flo for example.

Quote Originally Posted by Forza Fred View Post
    Sorry, disagree.

Friends of mine still traveled to watch England play last year I think vs Montenegro? It's was a closed game so they just climbed the trees behind the stands to watch.