hibs.net Messageboard

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Begbie79 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Some German clubs returning to training today.

Germans appear to be practically immune to the virus.

Very weird.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Alfred E Newman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by superfurryhibby View Post
    This has been the cade in Spain for three weeks. The police are enforcing it with some vigour. Nobody is walking the streets without good reason. Coming our way very soon.
    We are talking about a country that is up in arms if a policeman even threatens to draw his truncheon.

We can see our own lockdown, with folk out sunbathing, having picnics, visiting their second homes...

Closed door games would be a bust for the same reason, too many morons can’t be trusted, who would turn up in big crowds outside the stadiums. For that reason, football will be delayed further, because even once it may be safe to play, they’ll need to wait for, best case, the emergency services to have the spare capacity to keep idiots away from the stadium, or wait for normal conditions to resume completely.

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    If the game was being shown live online (the relaxing of the 3pm rule) - surely people wouldn't still want to stand and look at the back of famous five stand instead?
    Mon the Hibs.

First Team Breakthrough Badabing's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by danhibees1875 View Post
    If the game was being shown live online (the relaxing of the 3pm rule) - surely people wouldn't still want to stand and look at the back of famous five stand instead?
    The problems would probably be more in the west. I can't see a position where either of those 2 groups of savages would stay in their house while a game was on. There sense of entitlement would result in them cramming together in somebody else's house to watch the game getting spannered while they were at it. Then the police and other emergency services would have to deal with the aftermath. Not worth it in my opinion.

@hibs.net private member Frazerbob's Avatar
    I’ll say it again, nobody is suggesting closed doors now or any time soon. However, there may come a time when we can play football but not watch it, as large gatherings will still be banned. That’s when closed doors games might be an option.

Quote Originally Posted by Frazerbob View Post
    I’ll say it again, nobody is suggesting closed doors now or any time soon. However, there may come a time when we can play football but not watch it, as large gatherings will still be banned. That’s when closed doors games might be an option.
    I think you're right, and it's why any decision on this season should be deferred. With the summer European championship put back a year there's the possibility that the season could be completed behind closed doors in its place. It would at least allow the clubs to get the tv money in, though that won't help the lower divisions which aren't televised.

Allowing an extension to the domestic season is currently the least bad scheme. It may be that things won't have improved enough by then, but we just don't know at present.

Quote Originally Posted by ballengeich View Post
    I think you're right, and it's why any decision on this season should be deferred. With the summer European championship put back a year there's the possibility that the season could be completed behind closed doors in its place. It would at least allow the clubs to get the tv money in, though that won't help the lower divisions which aren't televised.

Allowing an extension to the domestic season is currently the least bad scheme. It may be that things won't have improved enough by then, but we just don't know at present.
    Nah, just end it now. League positions stand, relegations and promotions limited to one down/one up, thus maintaining sporting integrity. Administration or insolvency events presupposing a transfer embargo.

Have I missed anything?

I agree, there is no rush to close off options now. The restrictions in place now will be working. It doesn’t happen in a couple of weeks but 4 weeks from now the picture could look very different to how it’s been last 2 weeks. Slowly, restrictions will be lifted. Bars and restaurants will reopen, maybe with less capacity and with social distancing restrictions within them. Offices will reopen and then we’ll see many more people travelling around on public transport. Shops will start re-opening. Etc etc etc. At some stage around then is it wrong that footballers shouldn’t be able to compete? Maybe crowds aren’t allowed back in but games could be played behind closed doors and be televised. They could finish the leagues at least.
    I’m not suggesting it happens now but with the deadline extended to August there is still plenty time.
    Then the debate is whether professional Football should be played without fans but that’s a different debate.

If it’s safe to play closed door games then that should be done to finish the season. People saying it’s not fair because you lose home advantage etc - it’s still fairer than finishing leagues now. There’s no perfect solution but if it’s safe to play games in a couple months then we should be doing that.

It would if there was an agreement from the clubs to pass on a percentage to lower leagues, which also would not happen, not when the huns/hertz are up the creek

Quote Originally Posted by SingaporeHibs View Post
    I agree, there is no rush to close off options now. The restrictions in place now will be working. It doesn’t happen in a couple of weeks but 4 weeks from now the picture could look very different to how it’s been last 2 weeks. Slowly, restrictions will be lifted. Bars and restaurants will reopen, maybe with less capacity and with social distancing restrictions within them. Offices will reopen and then we’ll see many more people travelling around on public transport. Shops will start re-opening. Etc etc etc. At some stage around then is it wrong that footballers shouldn’t be able to compete? Maybe crowds aren’t allowed back in but games could be played behind closed doors and be televised. They could finish the leagues at least.
    I’m not suggesting it happens now but with the deadline extended to August there is still plenty time.
    Then the debate is whether professional Football should be played without fans but that’s a different debate.
    Bars,restaurants and stadiums will be some of the very last to be opened up I think. To televise closed door games would be a good start, but were still talking months down the line. Gives me time to save.

@hibs.net private member Frazerbob's Avatar
    EFL confirm closed doors games.....

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...-a9470056.html

Not a hope in hell of that happening in May.

Quote Originally Posted by Cod Boy View Post
    Social distancing is here for a good while so football won’t be getting played behind closed doors for a long time either.
    Of course it will, different restrictions will be passed to allow closed door games after the lockdown is ended, they aren't arranging all this just for something to do, they've obviously had advice from the government.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by supermcginn View Post
    Of course it will, different restrictions will be passed to allow closed door games after the lockdown is ended, they aren't arranging all this just for something to do, they've obviously had advice from the government.
    ... or they are trying to put pressure on the government

@hibs.net private member green day's Avatar

For years now I have had a plan to end up naked in a jacuzzi with Claudia Schiffer.

I think my plan has more chance of happening by mid May than his one.

First Team Breakthrough
    What happens if a player tests positive for covid-19?
    The whole team would have to isolate for 14 days.
    That would screw up fitting the fixtures into six weeks.

First Team Regular NthCarolinaHibs's Avatar
    Wonder what the " different restrictions" would be..🤔

They have not taken advice from the government, they are trying to pressure the government because they are a financial basket case living in a bubble.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/11973696/several-efl-clubs-days-away-from-going-bust-amid-wage-dispute

Quote Originally Posted by Wat Dabney View Post
    What happens if a player tests positive for covid-19?
    The whole team would have to isolate for 14 days.
    That would screw up fitting the fixtures into six weeks.
    They’ll probably all be told to shut up.All test negative etc.

Probably been said already but closed doors games are bloody awful to watch. I’d rather not watch at all.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve-O View Post
    Probably been said already but closed doors games are bloody awful to watch. I’d rather not watch at all.
    They are brutal, I watched a couple from Italy before the lockdown and it was terrible.

United we stand here....

@hibs.net private member O'Rourke3's Avatar
    I hope not Games will require support people who would be better placed somewhere else, like a hospital or GP surgery. How are officials classified as essential? How many directors will travel with the away team etc etc. We aren't even mass testing in the UK yet or tracking. No chance.

Sent from my SM-J600FN using Tapatalk

Testimonial Due green with envy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NAE NOOKIE View Post
    Absolutely no chance. It doesn't matter a rat's arse what UEFA or the SFA / FA want, no government is going to allow it within the next three months at least.

I watched a report from northern Italy on CH4 news this evening and the courage of the medical staff dealing with the carnage there was nothing short of humbling, they are the very best of humanity. If we have the same luck as Italy, and I pray we don't, then within weeks all of our NHS staff could be facing the same situation of taking their lives into their hands every time they go to work, many are already doing so.

To suggest there is any case for putting at least 50 folk into a confined space and have them play a sport where contact is inevitable is nothing short of an insult to these incredible people and the medical staff who have already given their lives.
    One thing that I would say is for sure, is that the Scottish government definitely won't allow this.

@hibs.net private member KeithTheHibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Real Emerald View Post
    I wonder why the SPFL have not looked at games behind closed doors?

A lot of the decision making made up here has been bizarre and pretty much embarrassing.
    In order to alleviate the cashflow for some clubs prize money could have released with a balance due once games have either been played / called.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KeithTheHibby View Post

A lot of the decision making made up here has been bizarre and pretty much embarrassing.
    In order to alleviate the cashflow for some clubs prize money could have released with a balance due once games have either been played / called.
    There's no point looking at these things until the authorities give an idea of how and when the lockdown will be lifted.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by KeithTheHibby View Post

I haven’t seen any confirmation anywhere that they haven’t looked at it?

hfc rd
    Left by mutual consent!
    The logistics of playing football even BCD is a huge stretch.

What medical staff will be required and why should they be at a football match and not on the front lines in hospital?
    Social distancing will remain important in the fight against the virus until we have a vaccine or an effective treatment, why will Footballers be expected to break that?
    What limit will be imposed for public gatherings and will a skeleton staff of football staff break that even without crowds?
    Will insurance companies cover teams for CV and if not will players even be allowed to play?
    Will clubs be able to afford to play BCD when you consider the overheads and player bonuses?
    Have any players returned to their home country that will be unable to travel back to the UK for matches?

Just a few off the top of my head. When restrictions relax in a few weeks or months time, everything won’t be back to normal. It will still be under restrictions and who knows that a second wave of this virus will follow? Football will be one of the last things to come back.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Real Emerald View Post
    And yet they claim to have plans in place to play behind closed doors as soon as permission granted, plan includes TV broadcasting for the fans.