hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by penihibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That day Hibs support was brilliant we had a good,team,my brother a Celtic Glory hunter came with us on bus and at end of game says the best atmosphere he's ever been involved
    With at any game, specially after getting beat..
    Hibs support that day was fantastic.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by darwenhibby View Post
    1985 Skol cup final
    Thought the support was great that day
    Another of those moments after beating the old firm on the way but to lose to Aberdeen in the final
    Agree. We had a young team up against a very good Aberdeen team. That whole league cup campaign was great in that we scored lots of goals while our league form wasn't great. Both legs of the semi against the huns were good with a huge support through on the train for the second leg.

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    Aberdeen semi final.

Quote Originally Posted by AFKA5814_Hibs View Post
    Between this and the AEK game. But for a horrendous first 10 mins we were the better team in that semi. Aberdeen were a top 3 side and we were a team from the league below, Hibs were the better side. For McGeoughs injury after his goal, we would have went on to win the game.

The AEK 2nd leg was amazing. They were a good team and to turn that around would have been one of our better European performances but for Luna's header in the 90th minute we would have done it. The rendition of SOL that night was only bettered by the League Cup Final 2007 and Scottish Cup Final of 2016.
    The SOL at the end of the 1-0 replay win against hertz was up there with all of them IMHO.

@hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    Wanted to mention one that hadn't been covered.

When we went down in 97-98, we had started the season well (typical nineties Hibs). We played Rangers in October. They were jam-packed full of talent, ridiculously so in comparison to us but we were competing with them. We ended up losing 4-3 but we had at least showed up.

From memory we then went on a bad run. There were more relevant defining moments as to why we were relegated but that day felt positive because we had gone toe-to-toe. I've been going to Hibs games, on and off, since the late seventies and I don't think there was ever such a mismatch in resources for us as that with the Rangers team that dwveloped during the nineties. Yet we still managed to get some results against them.

The Celtc team that emerged towards the end of the nineties gave us some absolute shoeings but it never quite felt they were as star-studded as the Rangers team we were managing to compete against. They probably were, but in an era when TV access to all the European leagues was not really available, the Hun stars were higher-profile names by a long chalk.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

Quote Originally Posted by superfurryhibby View Post
    Totally disagree, the backing the team got was defiance in the face of yet another Scottish |Cup final boot in the bawz. Nothing to do with how soft we were |(what does that even mean?). We knew we'd be back and we knew we'd win the ******* thing.
    We did go on to win the thing. But I didn’t leave that final against Celtic thinking to myself ‘you know what, we’ll be back’. It was right in the middle of the one of the worst periods in our history, it didn’t feel like defiance to me, I’m no sure what it was. I’m another that found it a bit bizarre.
    Last edited by B.H.F.C; 03-04-2020 at 10:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by vercol36 View Post
    I remember that last 10 mins being the loudest I've ever heard our fans. Though I've never really understood it to this day!!
    The team did absolutely nothing to deserve the backing they got that day. It was a poor performance on the pitch and I couldn’t get my head round it myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Feed McGraw View Post
    The SOL at the end of the 1-0 replay win against hertz was up there with all of them IMHO.
    Totally agree. Proper emotion that night.

Quote Originally Posted by darwenhibby View Post
    Anderlecht away
    The equaliser by Jackson
    The team coming back out to acknowledge us
    Always good to be hibby
    Was just about to say that. Fantastic trip and I couldn’t believe it when Jackson scored. Team got great backing that night.

@hibs.net private member
    Anderlect away, my wife and I had gone on a two week drive round Europe and had our second anniversary in Brussels, we met up with three pals and went to the game. I remember having a brilliant build up to the game andthe teams performance being great. However the fans performance was spectacular and along with the team coming back out I can remember the Anderlect fans in the corporate hospitality applauding theHibs fans. There was more than a wee tear in the eye at the end of the game.

League Cup Final vs Ross County in 2016

Scottish Cup semi vs Aberdeen a year later

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    We did go on to win the thing. But I didn’t leave that final against Celtic thinking to myself ‘you know what, we’ll be back’. It was right in the middle of the one of the worst periods in our history, it didn’t feel like defiance to me, I’m no sure what it was. I’m another that found it a bit bizarre.
    Fair enough, so if not defiance, what did you think inspired that singing?

It was a grim period in our history, but for me it was a case of the fans saying that we’ll be back. Someone else mentioned the League Cup final in 85. We were never in that game either but we totally out sang the Sheep and I felt proud to be a Hibee that day too. .

I stand by what I said. We were saying, we know your team is much better, but we, the fans, are unbowed and we’ll be back. Both times we returned and won those cups. It was a Girfuy and a show of solidarity and unity. Not that bizarre when you look at it that way really, is it?

Any loss in the championship away during 2014 - 2016 - chants of hibees hibees at the end of every game bar one - away to Dumbarton on day one 2-1 defeat. As soon as Stubbs came in with something like 4 full time players on the books I thought there was a great togetherness.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by surreyhibbie View Post
    Scottish cup final marathon against the team that used to be Rangers.

1979. Went to three games. We were robbed in the first game with that late penalty we didnt get.

Third game lost 3-2 to a deflected goal.

For some strange reason i wasnt as gutted as i should have been, just really proud of us to have taken them to the wire and i knew we were the better team over the three games..
    We lost to an Arthur Duncan own goal.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Quote Originally Posted by Mick O'Rourke View Post
    I agree with Northernhibee

We had put up with a lot after the previous final.
    Stuff like "You were home before the final whistle "and the "cheerio cheerio" chants.

We did not have high hopes of beating Celtic that day and it just seemed that we knew the game was lost just before this outburst of songs.

It seemed a communal thing that we were not leaving early.
    Really strange and unheard of or seen before.
    I had a wee tear when this was going on.
    Not defiance but our pride to be Hibernians.
    i was 61 that year and i sang my lungs out (well whats left of them)
    It seemed like my last "battle cry" as i thought ..
    No Mick, you aint gonna see us winning this thing

As been said before Celtic fans were stunned at what was going on and a few i know thought it was an amazing sight to see, us "not walking away" and singing so loud.

The Celtic fans even joined in when we sang "It's a grand old team to play for"

Or maybe they just thought they started it going.
    Or they just loved to hear that from the terraces that were formerly known as "The Rangers End"
    I thought at the time and still think it's pretty obvious what went on that day.

The Celtic fans had been silent the full game apart from A, Just before kick off and B, whenever they scored, after which they were pretty quiet again. With ten minutes to go they started to celebrate, get noisier and go into their song book and the Hibs fans gave them a collective "F##k this".
    There was even an audible groan from a sections of the Hibs fans just as the Celtic fans started up.
    I reckon it was just to drown them out and have a sing song, it felt defiant and not celebratory at all.

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk

The 2013 cup final was indeed a bit bizarre because it seemed to come out of nowhere, it wasn't even as if Hibs had given us any hope apart from the first 10 minutes that we were going to compete. No matter what the reason was for it, it was brilliant to be part of.

AEK Athens obviously ... ER has never had an atmosphere like that night since, though we have come close a few times ... the 1 = 0 cup reply against Hertz being a case in point as others have mentioned.

The one nobody has mentioned is the championship play off 2nd leg against the Huns in 2015 ..... We absolutely battered them that day but just couldn't get the breakthrough we needed until it was too late. With about 5 minutes to go the crowd suddenly began singing all over the stadium and continued after the final whistle, it made the hairs stand up on the back of your neck.

AEK ATHENS, what a night

Agree, I have to admit I fell completely out of love for Hibs around that time, we seemed to celebrate defeat at every opportunity with a team that was just beyond *****.

Thank god for Stubbs and even more so Lennon for giving the club and fans the boot up the arse everyone deserved.

@hibs.net private member .Sean.'s Avatar
    I might get absolutely rinsed for this but the last ten, fifteen minutes against Celtic was embarrassing and it showed how soft some of our support were back then. Getting trounced 3-0 in the final of a cup we’d no won in about 110 years, the year after that final and some fans just accepted it just because we were there. Hibs should never ever be there just to make up the numbers. Thankfully the support on the whole now have a bit of steel.
    ''It's always been just part of the culture. Growing up, for most working-class kids, is all about football, music or clothes. You might not have much money, but whatever you have got, you're going to look good.'' - Paul Weller

Quote Originally Posted by .Sean. View Post
    . Thankfully the support on the whole now have a bit of steel.
    How would we react now?

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    Was thinking back to the 2013 cup final earlier and remembered the whole build up with Leigh getting injured, Doyle forcing a ridiculous save from Forster in the first ten minutes before going on to lose. All the thoughts of what would have been if Leigh was fit, if Doyle had scored before seeing Leigh leave the pitch for the last time in a Hibs shirt and so forth.

I remember the last ten minutes of that game the Hibs fans outsang the Celtic support, singing "We'll support you evermore". Was broken hearted that we'd lost in a final again despite starting well and that last ten minutes still gives me goosebumps.

Have there been times when Hibs have lost but you've left feeling proud of the club?
    That was the one that immediately sprung to mind. From a club that was supposed to have died.
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    I might get absolutely rinsed for this but the last ten, fifteen minutes against Celtic was embarrassing and it showed how soft some of our support were back then. Getting trounced 3-0 in the final of a cup we’d no won in about 110 years, the year after that final and some fans just accepted it just because we were there. Hibs should never ever be there just to make up the numbers. Thankfully the support on the whole now have a bit of steel.
    I think you completely missed the point in that. It was an amazing effort to get that far and the team gave their all after supposedly getting ended as a club by the Jambos showed there was some life in the old dog yet. I guess you missed out on the Miller era. No shame in letting your team know you’re with them. Would you rather have seen mass booing and scarf lobbing onto the pitch ?
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

Quote Originally Posted by superfurryhibby View Post
    Fair enough, so if not defiance, what did you think inspired that singing?

It was a grim period in our history, but for me it was a case of the fans saying that we’ll be back. Someone else mentioned the League Cup final in 85. We were never in that game either but we totally out sang the Sheep and I felt proud to be a Hibee that day too. .

I stand by what I said. We were saying, we know your team is much better, but we, the fans, are unbowed and we’ll be back. Both times we returned and won those cups. It was a Girfuy and a show of solidarity and unity. Not that bizarre when you look at it that way really, is it?
    To this day, I still think it was odd. And I’ll get pelters for this, but there wouldn’t have been any ‘defiance’ had we been getting pumped 3-0 with 10 minutes to go having not made a game of it against Hearts or Rangers (or anyone else) in a cup final, the place would have been empty. I’m still no sure what made that day any different.

Other people have mentioned the Aberdeen semi final in 2017. I didn’t feel particularly proud that day either but there was a proper connection between the fans and team then so I could understand any appreciation the players got then.

@hibs.net private member 18Craig75's Avatar
    In the Aberdeen semi final am I right in thinking that Rocky almost scored from a header after going up for a corner in the last minute?

We were so unlucky that day. Awesome for 80 minutes. As someone else said, if McGeouch hadn’t got injured after his goal we would’ve got another.

That's basically what I was trying to say. It's probably easy for someone to say with 20/20 hindsight that they knew we would be back to win it. At the time I just felt it was another Scottish cup final that we had failed to turn up in and the game was over long before the final whistle. It was no different to 2001 or 2012 in my eyes. With 10 minutes left I just wanted to get home and forget about football for the summer. In truth I probably felt that way from as soon as the 2nd goal went in as it was obvious we were watching a procession from that point on.

As I said I accept others feel differently. However standing singing with 10 minutes to go in a cup final because it was a good effort to get there or whatever is for the likes of Falkirk, Queen of the South, Gretna and other minnows who have made finals in recent years. We are Hibs, we should expect to be getting to the latter stages of tournaments and we should expect to at least put up a bit of a fight when we get there.

Quote Originally Posted by Viva_Palmeiras View Post
    I think you completely missed the point in that. It was an amazing effort to get that far and the team gave their all after supposedly getting ended as a club by the Jambos showed there was some life in the old dog yet. I guess you missed out on the Miller era. No shame in letting your team know you’re with them. Would you rather have seen mass booing and scarf lobbing onto the pitch ?
    Why do people have an obsession with going to extremes on here? Just because people are questioning the singing and general jubilant atmosphere at that game doesn't mean they would have preferred the polar opposite of scarf chucking and booing.

Personally I just got up and left to go back to my car and I'm guessing that many more like me, who didn't really get the clapping and singing either, did the same.

I tend to agree with Sean, I found the clapping and singing that day a bit strange but I also would not have agreed with booing. A 3-0 defeat to Celtic isn't really a singing/clapping, nor is it a booing/scarf chucking, kind of result.

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    That's basically what I was trying to say. It's probably easy for someone to say with 20/20 hindsight that they knew we would be back to win it. At the time I just felt it was another Scottish cup final that we had failed to turn up in and the game was over long before the final whistle. It was no different to 2001 or 2012 in my eyes. With 10 minutes left I just wanted to get home and forget about football for the summer. In truth I probably felt that way from as soon as the 2nd goal went in as it was obvious we were watching a procession from that point on.

As I said I accept others feel differently. However standing singing with 10 minutes to go in a cup final because it was a good effort to get there or whatever is for the likes of Falkirk, Queen of the South, Gretna and other minnows who have made finals in recent years. We are Hibs, we should expect to be getting to the latter stages of tournaments and we should expect to at least put up a bit of a fight when we get there.
    Theres been a couple of times something similar has happened. I didnt get the applause and singing sunshine on leith after rangers beat us in the play offs in 2015. That was the worst rangers team i have ever seen in my life and we pumped them 3-1,4-0 and 2-0 earlier that season with QOTS also drubbing them twice, alloa beating them ect. We were the better team and should have beaten them. The fact motherwell turned them over after us proved it. It Really really annoyed me that day.

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by we are hibs View Post
    Theres been a couple of times something similar has happened. I didnt get the applause and singing sunshine on leith after rangers beat us in the play offs in 2015. That was the worst rangers team i have ever seen in my life and we pumped them 3-1,4-0 and 2-0 earlier that season with QOTS also drubbing them twice, alloa beating them ect. We were the better team and should have beaten them. The fact motherwell turned them over after us proved it. It Really really annoyed me that day.

We finished three points above them in the league lost 0-2 in the first leg peppered their goal the first twenty minutes then only really went for it towards the end putting on four forwards Hanlon hitting the post and Jase scoring 90+4 too little too late a game too far frustrating as f#*k!

I agree. It was as if we were celebrating only losing one goal in the second half. I didn't get it.

@hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar
    Surely the Celtic 2013 final was defiance not celebration.

edit to add for me persoanlly it would be the Aberdeen semi final in 2017.Thought our support was fantastic that day.