hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Uefa

Get the league played out as soon as possible, and worry about the following season after. It's not like any other country are going to be playing any earlier, except Belarus that is.

2. Log in to remove the advert

UEFA is desperate to keep this season going because of its cash cow Champions League in much the same way that the EPL is worried about its broadcast deals.

This has nothing to do with finding a sensible solution and everything to do with money.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

UEFA are being incredibly cack-handed about this. They should be assisting their member associations individually to make decisions that suit their specific needs rather than issuing diktats to finish their seasons no matter what. The progress of the virus is at different stages in various nations and each government has issued its own regulations to combat the disease. To issue a single rule to cover all the nations involved is foolish and pointless.

If you take a step back from being a supporter of an individual club you should see that it's very difficult for the SFA/SPFL to make a decision because whatever they do will be unfair on some of their member clubs. This is where UEFA should step in, take a look at our unique circumstances and make a decision for us (one which includes relegating Hearts of course). If UEFA make a ruling the clubs that lose out will just have to suck it up, if the SFA were to make the same ruling they would stand accused of bias.

As it stands Scottish Football is between a rock and a hard place. We can't play the season to a conclusion at this stage and there's a strong possibility we never will but if we close the season now either by voiding or taking positions as they stand we will lose out on valuable European competitions.

We need better leadership from UEFA not the SFA/SPFL.

Quote Originally Posted by Caversham Green View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    UEFA are being incredibly cack-handed about this. They should be assisting their member associations individually to make decisions that suit their specific needs rather than issuing diktats to finish their seasons no matter what. The progress of the virus is at different stages in various nations and each government has issued its own regulations to combat the disease. To issue a single rule to cover all the nations involved is foolish and pointless.

If you take a step back from being a supporter of an individual club you should see that it's very difficult for the SFA/SPFL to make a decision because whatever they do will be unfair on some of their member clubs. This is where UEFA should step in, take a look at our unique circumstances and make a decision for us (one which includes relegating Hearts of course). If UEFA make a ruling the clubs that lose out will just have to suck it up, if the SFA were to make the same ruling they would stand accused of bias.

As it stands Scottish Football is between a rock and a hard place. We can't play the season to a conclusion at this stage and there's a strong possibility we never will but if we close the season now either by voiding or taking positions as they stand we will lose out on valuable European competitions.

We need better leadership from UEFA not the SFA/SPFL.
    I doubt UEFA competitions can go ahead next season anyway. Most of Europe will be getting back to normal but there will be travel restrictions still in place and some countries may still have lockdowns. Getting domestic leagues up and running will be hard enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    I doubt UEFA competitions can go ahead next season anyway. Most of Europe will be getting back to normal but there will be travel restrictions still in place and some countries may still have lockdowns. Getting domestic leagues up and running will be hard enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You're probably right, but they're acting as though they will. My point is they're making each association's job even more difficult than it already is when they should be doing the exact opposite.

Left by mutual consent! KingPat4's Avatar
    Strikes me that Budge is making a wedge on the side working for UEFA issuing all their statements for them.

Same style of crass, obtuse, intimidating, annoying pish.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by danhibees1875 View Post
    Why are people upset with UEFA wanting leagues to finish their seasons? Sporting integrity wise that seems the best decision to me. Financially there's going to be consequences coming in every direction for every possible decision.

Bowing down to the dollar sign would come later when EPL, La Liga, etc ignore their advice and UEFA have to climb down from their position or play their tournaments without their big teams.

I think UEFA want the leagues finished so that they then can get the big countries teams into the competition. Imagine european games with no English Spanish German French etc etc teams in the competition because these countries are still in lock down the advertisement etc would plummet and teams from smaller countries that may allow football to happen ( not saying they would allow it ) wouldn’t get the same tv audiences.

Again I could be totally wrong but that’s my take on it.

GGTTH

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by southern hibby View Post
    I think UEFA want the leagues finished so that they then can get the big countries teams into the competition. Imagine european games with no English Spanish German French etc etc teams in the competition because these countries are still in lock down the advertisement etc would plummet and teams from smaller countries that may allow football to happen ( not saying they would allow it ) wouldn’t get the same tv audiences.

Again I could be totally wrong but that’s my take on it.

GGTTH
    Over reliance on tv money.
    uefa and fifa should be about the development and _sustainability_ of the game. The fell asleep at the latter.
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.