hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Subbuteo

Quote Originally Posted by tamig View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Couple of pics of some of my hand painted efforts.

Real Betis and Marseilles "Rainbow kit" that they wore in the Champions league a few years back.

Attachment 23140Attachment 23139
    Fine work

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    I had the World Cup edition complete with Jules Rimet trophy, floodlights, scoreboard, fencing and officials. Loved playing it and remember when the hard back Astro pitch came out that rolled up, that was a games changer as it was far better straight on the carpet than the original pitch.

So I sent my doting mother up the stairs with the stepladder to get the subbuteo out of the loft 🎶

I’m from the Pans originally and got most of my gear from Petersons - they had a great range. There was a shop in Tranent called Roberts’s that also had a good range locally. Thorntons in Hanover Street - which I think was Ronnie Simpson’s place - was also an excellent stockist.
    Simpson had a small shop in Rose St.

Thorntons was quite a large store and quite long established.

Quote Originally Posted by Saltire2k View Post
    That would be the 'Pirrets' shop. I think it started as a toy shop but when they incorporated the premises next door they also sold some sports stuff. I can't remember buying any Subbuteo from there but certainly spent my pennies on other stuff
    Pirrets. That rings bells now.
    Don’t think I bought other accessories from there though after getting the original set.

Quote Originally Posted by jodjam View Post
    So I sent my doting mother up the stairs with the stepladder to get the subbuteo out of the loft 🎶

You rotter!

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post

What was the name of the big sports shop on south bridge near where festival theatre is?

Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    What was the name of the big sports shop on south bridge near where festival theatre is?
    Was that McKenzie’s?

Ah sorry. I thought he had Thorntons.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Was that McKenzie’s?
    Yes think it was that.

Ah sorry. I thought he had Thorntons.
    I remember when he opened it in the late 70s, I think. There was a bit of a do with the press and one or two footer types there. Thorntons was on Hanover St and had cricket and rugby stuff too. Here's a great site;

http://www.edinphoto.org.uk/1_edin/1...ions_shops.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal Hibernian View Post
    There were two types of goal keeper available. One where he was fixed but could throw the ball out side arm and another one that could do fantastic diving saves. You were able to score spectacular rocket shots into the top corner. The team colours in my set were Aberdeen and St Mirren but probably really meant to be Man Utd and Newcastle.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk
    It's the diving keepers that I have. The teams are plain blue and red as per the photo but I have two spare teams of the same colour.

Seeing I've got plenty time on my hands I think I'll have a go at painting one of the teams as Hibs.
    "The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who don't have it" - George Bernard Shaw.

I remember when he opened it in the late 70s, I think. There was a bit of a do with the press and one or two footer types there. Thorntons was on Hanover St and had cricket and rugby stuff too. Here's a great site;

http://www.edinphoto.org.uk/1_edin/1...ions_shops.htm
    Cheers for that. Some great memories in there. Was just talking to someone last week about Rankins at the West End and also PTs on the bridges.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith_M View Post
    In this football free world, it's amazing how much you miss it and how people look for replacements.

It's now getting so bad that I'm even regretting getting rid of my Subbuteo game from all those decades ago.

Not wanting to be a party pooper so never posted earlier but I never got the whole subbuteo thing. I had more fun with my old magnet football game where you had a rod under the table that you used to move the players around on the board above. Flicking with your fingers seemed such a strange concept and never got a grip of me or my pals. Not overly knocking it as it became very popular and widespread with many competitions and international tournaments but personally I just could not take it seriously.

I got my Subbuteo stuff from a toy shop at St John's Road, Corstorphine. I think the shop may have been called "Gartons"?? If you walk along St John's Road now it's nothing but betting shops, takeaways and charity shops!!

Quote Originally Posted by JoeTortolanoFanClub View Post
    My Subbuteo set is still in my Dad’s attic...along with the certificate I received after playing the then World Champion, Andrea Piccaluga from Italy, in Jenners on Princes Street when he was on a UK tour in 1979. I was a decent player. But Piccaluga was at an altogether different level and easily beat me 2-0 going on 12-0. I think I read somewhere that he is now a university professor.
    Piccaluga.jpg

I was at Jenners that day as well. I unearthed my certificate. Remember the day well and my 5 minute battering
    His Glasgow visit was on Reporting Scotland the night before so I practised all night with one of my mates. Pointless really!
    He hammered me 4-0 in about 5 minutes and was playing a completely different game to me. Polishing the players bases and all that stuff.
    Having said that, I almost got a shot in against him...almost!

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    Was your travelling army of synthetic supporters taken away from you and thrown in the bin?

Quote Originally Posted by gloryhunter View Post
    Not wanting to be a party pooper so never posted earlier but I never got the whole subbuteo thing. I had more fun with my old magnet football game where you had a rod under the table that you used to move the players around on the board above. Flicking with your fingers seemed such a strange concept and never got a grip of me or my pals. Not overly knocking it as it became very popular and widespread with many competitions and international tournaments but personally I just could not take it seriously.

That's OK, each to their own.

If you prefer fiddling with wee magnets and rods under the table, then who am I to complain.

Quote Originally Posted by Carheenlea View Post
    Was your travelling army of synthetic supporters taken away from you and thrown in the bin?
    Four nil down at HT and no var to overrule the hotly disputed penalties

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    Four nil down at HT and no var to overrule the hotly disputed penalties
    Cue to smash up the floodlights and get the match abandoned

@hibs.net private member JoeTortolanoFanClub's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by La Machine Vert View Post
    Piccaluga.jpg

I was at Jenners that day as well. I unearthed my certificate. Remember the day well and my 5 minute battering
    His Glasgow visit was on Reporting Scotland the night before so I practised all night with one of my mates. Pointless really!
    He hammered me 4-0 in about 5 minutes and was playing a completely different game to me. Polishing the players bases and all that stuff.
    Having said that, I almost got a shot in against him...almost!
    Fantastic. Great shared memories !

Attached Images Attached Images

@hibs.net private member
    My old boss represented scotland at subbuteo and trust me he told me he really took it serious he said they had different weights in the bases and could get heated at times though he is proud of his Scotland caps.

Quote Originally Posted by zitelli62 View Post
    My old boss represented scotland at subbuteo and trust me he told me he really took it serious he said they had different weights in the bases and could get heated at times though he is proud of his Scotland caps.
    Who was your boss?

That sinking feeling.

@hibs.net private member stantonhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by StirlingHibee View Post
    I got my Subbuteo stuff from a toy shop at St John's Road, Corstorphine. I think the shop may have been called "Gartons"?? If you walk along St John's Road now it's nothing but betting shops, takeaways and charity shops!!
    Yeah....Gartons was the name. That was at the Drumbrae end. There was a bigger toy shop at the other end called Lawries. Now the pram centre.

Does anyone remember the C4 coverage of the 1990 Subbuteo World Cup, with the Scottish geezer (McGiffen) bringing the game into disrepute?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7yJ...7BRSrNFbKe8r8Q

The grudge match is about 19-20 minutes in - cringeworthy.

We used to play Subbuteo on a carpet in the living room whose pattern was uncannily similar to the markings of a football pitch.

This was in the days before fancy painted figures. The players were flat celluloid and you punched them out of a card when they were new. I have to say a big attraction was the leaflet which detailed the colours of all the clubs, or nearly all - green for Hibs, Plymouth Argyle and both Irelands!

Unfortunately, the men often got stepped on and snapped so you'd end up with a team of Jimmy Johnstones. Also, you had to keep the cat out of the room because he would get after them and cuff them under the sideboard, telly etc.

I shared a bedroom with my older brother and the space on the floor between our beds was just big enough to unfurl the pitch and still have room for sitting at the sides to play the game.

One of my mates, that lived in Macbeth Moir Rd in Musselburgh, used to have a table big enough for the pitch and the rest of us were quite jealous of him, cos you could stand up while playing.

He didn't have a brother sharing his room, though, which made me kinda wish I was an only child, like him

@hibs.net private member Newry Hibs's Avatar
    Went from layng the pitch on a carpet to the dizzy heights of my Dad getting a piece of that sort of thin plyboard (usually at the back of DIY bookcases). It had a 'rough' side that meant the pitch stuck brilliantly. Had to invest in the fence surround though.