hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Subbuteo

Had a serious solo game Brazil v Scotland in front of the fire one cold winter Saturday morning late 60s
    Late on in the game I decided it was time for substitutes so I had to take off Pele as I could not spell any other of the Brazilians names on the sheet you gave the referee
    Scotland went on to win but you would expect that will Pele back in the team box

2. Log in to remove the advert

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by Argylehibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I had loads of teams, would often stop off at Petersons in Musselburgh on way home from Easter Rd. and get another team. I also had the 5 a side version which had the wall around it and the pitch material made it fast as Boyler on a motorbike.
    I had loads of teams and accessories over the years, and had the 5 a-side version with the blue pitch material, plastic corners etc. Sold everything to a guy about 10years ago for a fair price, and it is big business now for the older teams and accessories.

I have a set as well, along with the Hibs team.........

Box.jpg

Team.jpg

@hibs.net private member Newry Hibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadesLongThrow View Post
    I remember getting my dad to add shirt numbers in tiny white Letraset. I think half my players ended up crocked after kneeling on them and had big dods of Airfix glue holding what was left of them to the base. My next door neighbour had the rugby and cricket versions but they were just weird!
    I remember the Subbuteo hospital had a fair amount of patients at any one time waiting on the 'glue doctor'. Especially when my Granny would crunch her way across the pitch when we visited.

Had the rugby and cricket ones - but they were a bit crap and hardly played (though the goal kicker in rugby was good fun).

Got my first Subbuteo set around 1968 for my birthday from a shop that was on the corner of Easter Road and Sunnyside. Not sure if it was a sport shop or toy shop or combo of both.

It was “The Continental Edition”. It was a step up from the basic set and, if memory serves me right, what made it “Continental” was the goals were fancier and you got ‘diving’ keepers compared to the basic set. I persuaded my dad to stump up the few extra shillings!!

Of course, all you got were the red team and the blue team. Pocket money was saved and used over the next few years to buy extra team sets. Hibs #45 was probably the first extra one I bought. Maybe acquired another dozen or so after that.

Happy days!!

Quote Originally Posted by hibby6270 View Post
    Got my first Subbuteo set around 1968 for my birthday from a shop that was on the corner of Easter Road and Sunnyside. Not sure if it was a sport shop or toy shop or combo of both.

It was “The Continental Edition”. It was a step up from the basic set and, if memory serves me right, what made it “Continental” was the goals were fancier and you got ‘diving’ keepers compared to the basic set. I persuaded my dad to stump up the few extra shillings!!

Of course, all you got were the red team and the blue team. Pocket money was saved and used over the next few years to buy extra team sets. Hibs #45 was probably the first extra one I bought. Maybe acquired another dozen or so after that.

Happy days!!
    That would be the 'Pirrets' shop. I think it started as a toy shop but when they incorporated the premises next door they also sold some sports stuff. I can't remember buying any Subbuteo from there but certainly spent my pennies on other stuff

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadesLongThrow View Post
    I remember getting my dad to add shirt numbers in tiny white Letraset. I think half my players ended up crocked after kneeling on them and had big dods of Airfix glue holding what was left of them to the base. My next door neighbour had the rugby and cricket versions but they were just weird!
    I had the cricket and the football versions. Didn't know there was a rugby version too. The cricket featured a bat that was about twice as tall as the players which you operated by hand and tried to hit balls bowled by a bowler who you flipped over to launch the ball from a wee triangular holder on his base. The stumps were also gigantic in comparison to the players. The fielders had large flat bases with recesses for the ball to run into, which would qualify as a catch. As you say it was all a bit bizarre.

Still got the football version somewhere, although most of the teams have been decimated by injuries (ie having their ankles snapped!).

Quote Originally Posted by BS44 View Post
    Striker is a far better and more skilful game! Striker experts then moved onto the amazing Johhny Hotshot football game.....
    Super Striker.jpg

Just looked out my old Super Striker, it hasn't seen the light of day in years.

I preferred Subbuteo and have it in the house somewhere too, will need to have a hunt for it.
    "The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who don't have it" - George Bernard Shaw.

I got the 1974 Munich edition ,for Christmas it had 2 floodlights ,and strangely enough England ,and I think west Germany and Holland ,there was a tv tower and a we guy dressed in Union Jack colours ,don’t know what became of it in the end

Quote Originally Posted by Keith_M View Post
    In this football free world, it's amazing how much you miss it and how people look for replacements.

It's now getting so bad that I'm even regretting getting rid of my Subbuteo game from all those decades ago.
    Great shout, will try and get the Subbuteo out over the weekend with the wee man - great time killer.

Last time was a couple of years ago and we got distracted with a bit of exuberance.

Mckenzie’s sports shop where the festival theatre is now . Upstairs sold all the teams but the Hibs team stood out like a beacon

Quote Originally Posted by G B Young View Post
    I had the cricket and the football versions. Didn't know there was a rugby version too. The cricket featured a bat that was about twice as tall as the players which you operated by hand and tried to hit balls bowled by a bowler who you flipped over to launch the ball from a wee triangular holder on his base. The stumps were also gigantic in comparison to the players. The fielders had large flat bases with recesses for the ball to run into, which would qualify as a catch. As you say it was all a bit bizarre.

Still got the football version somewhere, although most of the teams have been decimated by injuries (ie having their ankles snapped!).
    Thing I remember about the rugby version was a huge plastic “scrum” where you dropped the ball into the top and it came out one of the random 8 holes.

Quote Originally Posted by nairn hibee View Post
    I got the 1974 Munich edition ,for Christmas it had 2 floodlights ,and strangely enough England ,and I think west Germany and Holland ,there was a tv tower and a we guy dressed in Union Jack colours ,don’t know what became of it in the end
    The Munich edition was the pinnacle of the Subbuteo box sets. The wee guy with the UJ gear was Ken Baily - the official England mascot. It was quite ironic that only Scotland of the home countries qualified for the 74 World Cup. The Munich set was superb. Here’ s a wee bit about Ken -
    https://www.1818auctioneers.co.uk/20...ly-collection/

Quote Originally Posted by Bobo View Post
    Super Striker.jpg

Just looked out my old Super Striker, it hasn't seen the light of day in years.

I preferred Subbuteo and have it in the house somewhere too, will need to have a hunt for it.
    There were two types of goal keeper available. One where he was fixed but could throw the ball out side arm and another one that could do fantastic diving saves. You were able to score spectacular rocket shots into the top corner. The team colours in my set were Aberdeen and St Mirren but probably really meant to be Man Utd and Newcastle.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

There was also Subbuteo hockey for girls, angling (really, but more of a board game) and the really rare one - subbuteo beatles!

Quote Originally Posted by tamig View Post
    The Munich edition was the pinnacle of the Subbuteo box sets. The wee guy with the UJ gear was Ken Baily - the official England mascot. It was quite ironic that only Scotland of the home countries qualified for the 74 World Cup. The Munich set was superb. Here’ s a wee bit about Ken -
    https://www.1818auctioneers.co.uk/20...ly-collection/
    Ken bailey that’s right couldn’t remember who he was ,I remember you could get seating right round the ground ,always wanted that but not to be.there was a lot of stuff came with the Munich one but can’t remember everything now

@hibs.net private member JoeTortolanoFanClub's Avatar
    My Subbuteo set is still in my Dad’s attic...along with the certificate I received after playing the then World Champion, Andrea Piccaluga from Italy, in Jenners on Princes Street when he was on a UK tour in 1979. I was a decent player. But Piccaluga was at an altogether different level and easily beat me 2-0 going on 12-0. I think I read somewhere that he is now a university professor.

Quote Originally Posted by nairn hibee View Post
    Ken bailey that’s right couldn’t remember who he was ,I remember you could get seating right round the ground ,always wanted that but not to be.there was a lot of stuff came with the Munich one but can’t remember everything now
    Did Bailey not turn out to be a peado

Quote Originally Posted by WoreTheGreen View Post
    Yes thats my recollection aswell and it was pre Jimmy Saville

Quote Originally Posted by WoreTheGreen View Post
    Thats my recollection and it was pre Jimmy Savile.

The wee daffy with the top hat and the Union Jack waistcoat definitely a peado was binned on the quiet

Quote Originally Posted by zitelli62 View Post
    Used to get my teams from toy shop in leith walk cant remember the name maybe where KFC is now or roundabout there I used to get a poster with all the teams on it and apart from the obvious hibs had lots of teams and my second favourite was Zaire for some strange reason cant remember why great memories though.
    I still have the Zaire set from the 1970's in my box of Subbuteo stuff in an upstairs cupboard.
    It was popular of course with Scotland playing them in the 1974 World Cup.
    Cracking set with green top and yellow stripe on sleeve and yellow shorts and of course all the players were coloured and not white.
    I need to go up and dig out some of the team boxes and try and value them by looking on eBay.
    Bizarrely I have an England team that came in a blue box instead of the normal green and the strip is 1977. Same kit they wore with Keegan etc.

I used to buy the all-white Leeds United box then my dad painted whatever team in the world I wanted. When I look back now it seems that my entire childhood was either playing Subbuteo or playing Football in the park. Happy days!!

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal Hibernian View Post
    Seem to remember there was a booklet or poster that listed all the clubs in the country / Europe with a picture of the subbuteo player and all the clubs the team colours represented. There was a least one other club listed with Hibs. Higher numbers were red and blue strips with some having a dozen or so teams listed against them.
    Hibs shared a strip with Cercle Bruges.

Hearts shared with Northampton and Stenhousemuir.

First Team Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveSo View Post
    I still have the Zaire set from the 1970's in my box of Subbuteo stuff in an upstairs cupboard.
    Cracking set with green top and yellow stripe on sleeve and yellow shorts and of course all the players were coloured and not white.
    I need to go up and dig out some of the team boxes and try and value them by looking on eBay.
    Bizarrely I have an England team that came in a blue box instead of the normal green and the strip is 1977. Same kit they wore with Keegan etc.
    If it’s mint (I.e. no glue) Zaire is probably worth upwards of 50 - 100£ . But all things we did as kids (writing players names on the box etc) have an effect on the price!

I’ve got a Brazil and a Peru from ’74 as well as a few later editions.

The holy grail is Bradford Park Avenue in the ‘flats’ - the pre-3D version. They were number 19, and when they went out of business Barcelona became no 19.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveSo View Post
    I’ve got Zaire - ref 176 - and Haiti 175 from the 74 World Cup teams. Still in perfect condition. Will need to see if I can get some pics up.

Hibs ,heavyweight number 45 on eBay bidding at £13.50

I had loads of teams, would often stop off at Petersons in Musselburgh on way home from Easter Rd. and get another team. I also had the 5 a side version which had the wall around it and the pitch material made it fast as Boyler on a motorbike.
    I’m from the Pans originally and got most of my gear from Petersons - they had a great range. There was a shop in Tranent called Roberts’s that also had a good range locally. Thorntons in Hanover Street - which I think was Ronnie Simpson’s place - was also an excellent stockist.

That's where I got mine, when I was about eight.

There was a much older kid that used to push us out the way if there was any of the rarer teams in that day. It wasn't you, was it?

Couple of pics of some of my hand painted efforts.

Real Betis and Marseilles "Rainbow kit" that they wore in the Champions league a few years back.

IMG_4855.JPGIMG_4856.JPG