Thread: Subbuteo

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by sambajustice View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Who was your boss?
    Sent you a PM mate.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Argylehibby's Avatar
    I had a table big enough for the pitch and if you dampened the table and ironed the pitch down on it it was flat as a bowling green. Also made it very fast though.

In May 1978 I played at the Scottish Subbuteo championships in Glasgow. It was held on a Sunday at a fancy hotel and there were 8 of us (all about 13-14 years old). Ally MacLeod was guest of honour, therefore, there was massive media interest at the time and lo and behold the press pack followed him to our Championships. All 8 of us had lunch (with Ally) prior to "flick off". He could tell we were all really nervous and he made us all feel at ease. He was a genuinely top guy and I remember feeling devastated for him when it all went wrong two months later. Anyway, the format was two groups of four. I came runner up in Group 2 which put me through to the Semis where unfortunately I was knocked out on penalties (penalties were not from the penalty spot but 5 shots taken from the 3/4 quarter line). Ally patted me on the back and consoled me after the shoot out. One final memory - some of the Reporters had seen me do a swerve manoeuvre, basically put a spin on the base in order to go around a player to hit the ball. They asked me to reproduce the trick for the cameras this time - I managed to go around 3 players and connect with the ball (first time of asking). The camera men were besides themselves - they thought this was brilliant. My trick shot made the Monday night news (Reporting Scotland). That was my 15 minutes of fame - and it's been downhill ever since!!

Quote Originally Posted by WoreTheGreen View Post
    Mckenzie’s sports shop where the festival theatre is now . Upstairs sold all the teams but the Hibs team stood out like a beacon
    My mum worked in both MacKenzie’s stores - Surgeons Hall and opposite Festival Theatre - so I got first dibs on all the new Subbuteo teams as they came into stock. Was obsessed with the game, and playing football in the Meadows, and virtually nothing else. Discovering girls in my early teens wrecked all that!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Left by mutual consent! Speedway's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by StirlingHibee View Post
    In May 1978 I played at the Scottish Subbuteo championships in Glasgow. It was held on a Sunday at a fancy hotel and there were 8 of us (all about 13-14 years old). Ally MacLeod was guest of honour, therefore, there was massive media interest at the time and lo and behold the press pack followed him to our Championships. All 8 of us had lunch (with Ally) prior to "flick off". He could tell we were all really nervous and he made us all feel at ease. He was a genuinely top guy and I remember feeling devastated for him when it all went wrong two months later. Anyway, the format was two groups of four. I came runner up in Group 2 which put me through to the Semis where unfortunately I was knocked out on penalties (penalties were not from the penalty spot but 5 shots taken from the 3/4 quarter line). Ally patted me on the back and consoled me after the shoot out. One final memory - some of the Reporters had seen me do a swerve manoeuvre, basically put a spin on the base in order to go around a player to hit the ball. They asked me to reproduce the trick for the cameras this time - I managed to go around 3 players and connect with the ball (first time of asking). The camera men were besides themselves - they thought this was brilliant. My trick shot made the Monday night news (Reporting Scotland). That was my 15 minutes of fame - and it's been downhill ever since!!
    What a cracking story.

I used to practice a similar trick but once I’d taken it too far with the accessories (floodlights, fences, advertising boards, grandstands with wee spectators etc) then every mis-hit shot caused an involuntary pitch invasion.

Quote Originally Posted by allyh1bs View Post
    My mum worked in both MacKenzie’s stores - Surgeons Hall and opposite Festival Theatre - so I got first dibs on all the new Subbuteo teams as they came into stock. Was obsessed with the game, and playing football in the Meadows, and virtually nothing else. Discovering girls in my early teens wrecked all that!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The take on’s in the meadows it brings back great memories anyone remember Dougie Love

I played Subbuteo with Seve Ballesteros at St Andrews. Filming for A Question of Sport.

@hibs.net private member weecounty hibby's Avatar
    I'm going to go against the grain here and say that I was so useless at Subbuteo that it held no real interest for me. Even though I had the world cup version with floodlights etc

Left by mutual consent!
    Just found an original Subbeuteo player in an old box, looks original from the 70s and, I think, an old Birmingham strip (blue with a thick vertical band in white). Not sure I even had a Birmingham team back in the day!

Sent from my LG-H840 using Tapatalk

This thread inspired me to open up the Subbuteo cupboard and get a Villa v Man City game going. Teams just chosen at random.

IMG_6590.jpg IMG_6589.jpg IMG_6591.jpg
    Last edited by tamig; 05-04-2020 at 04:21 PM.

I loved subbuteo as a kid and have also rediscovered it lately.

This site has some great info - http://www.peter-upton.co.uk/sub1.htm

If you want to relive your youth in style then this is the way to play these days - http://shop.flickforkicks.com

Quote Originally Posted by SuperAllyMcleod View Post
    I loved subbuteo as a kid and have also rediscovered it lately.

This site has some great info - http://www.peter-upton.co.uk/sub1.htm

If you want to relive your youth in style then this is the way to play these days - http://shop.flickforkicks.com
    There are loads of sites around nowadays with many selling reproduction and original gear. You could lose yourself for a few days checking out all the sites.

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Saltire2k View Post
    That would be the 'Pirrets' shop. I think it started as a toy shop but when they incorporated the premises next door they also sold some sports stuff. I can't remember buying any Subbuteo from there but certainly spent my pennies on other stuff
    Pirrets was a goldmine to this youngster. Subbuteo, Airfix and Palitoy were all common. What a ****ing shop it was.

Mckenzie’s sports shop where the festival theatre is now . Upstairs sold all the teams but the Hibs team stood out like a beacon
    Another fantastic store. Used to drag my mum round there from St Pat’s just to slaver at their windows.

Quote Originally Posted by zitelli62 View Post
    Used to get my teams from toy shop in leith walk cant remember the name maybe where KFC is now or roundabout there I used to get a poster with all the teams on it and apart from the obvious hibs had lots of teams and my second favourite was Zaire for some strange reason cant remember why great memories though.
    Think that might’ve been Harburn’s Hobbies you are recalling. Another fabulous shop.
    PS - they were closer to the foot at the KFC as you say and then moved up the Walk much later.
    Last edited by Iggy Pope; 10-04-2020 at 02:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal Hibernian View Post
    Seem to remember there was a booklet or poster that listed all the clubs in the country / Europe with a picture of the subbuteo player and all the clubs the team colours represented. There was a least one other club listed with Hibs. Higher numbers were red and blue strips with some having a dozen or so teams listed against them.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk
    Plymouth Argyle and Panathanaikos as I recall.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Iggy Pope View Post
    Think that might’ve been Harburn’s Hobbies you are recalling. Another fabulous shop.
    PS - they were closer to the foot at the KFC as you say and then moved up the Walk much later.
    Could well be memory not great these days also remember getting lego and airfix models still say to my son they were better than computer games just me getting old though.

Quote Originally Posted by zitelli62 View Post
    Could well be memory not great these days also remember getting lego and airfix models still say to my son they were better than computer games just me getting old though.
    They had a brilliant Airfix selection, Humbrol paints etc. What a shop it was.

They had a brilliant Airfix selection, Humbrol paints etc. What a shop it was.
    It still sells all the paints as thats where I bought them when I was doing my own painting of Subbuteo teams fairly recently. Fantastic shop.

@hibs.net private member Devonhibs's Avatar
    Just saw a 1915 Hibs team and checked the kit. Might be tempted.
    "Home advantage gives you an advantage" Sir Bobby Robson

Quote Originally Posted by tamig View Post
    It still sells all the paints as thats where I bought them when I was doing my own painting of Subbuteo teams fairly recently. Fantastic shop.
    Good news. Not had reason to frequent it any time in years but when I was young it made a trip down the Walk fascinating.

Good news. Not had reason to frequent it any time in years but when I was young it made a trip down the Walk fascinating.
    You should try and pop in before a game. Still got all the models and brilliant train sets. I only ever really went in for the paint but always had a good look around. Really takes you back to your youth. A fantastic shop.

@hibs.net private member Devonhibs's Avatar
    "Home advantage gives you an advantage" Sir Bobby Robson

Quote Originally Posted by Devonhibs View Post
    Dundee Hibernian (United) - not Dundee. Nice kit.

The take on’s in the meadows it brings back great memories anyone remember Dougie Love
    He would've been involved in our games scores of times mid-90s on the Meadows, couldn't even begin to guess what age he was then. Anywhere between 60 and 100.

First Team Breakthrough EastThomasSTboy's Avatar

Easter Road Take- oN Boys

From the late 60s to about 1977, a whole bunch of us from Easter Road, East Thomas Street, Rossie place, etc, would meet up, mostly on a Sunday morning, and walk up to the Meadows (as we got older we got the number1 bus) take the Prime Position Pitch, at the bottom Right of Middle Meadow Walk, put our jumpers down for goalposts and play fitba.
    That'd be a very young me (in the Striker role), mostly accompanied by the older, Billy Stevenson, Colin & Billy McDonald, Goldie, The Landell Brothers (Norrie was the better player) Billy Forbes, The Paterson Brothers (guid hard players), and all of us Hibs Supporters, who all went to the matches together!!, and we were joined at the meadows by Allan and Keith (Posh lads) and a fair number of extras, including the "CocK' & a "Hen" lot, who met up with us regularly.
    This included Dougie Love, who from memory was a Hearts fan, always in a Hearts jersey, most notably the Ajax one, and he could run!! Also another one, surname "Bell" who we nick-named "Ding-Dong". There was also a Rangers fan, whose name escapes me.
    After a while we moulded ourselves into quite a formidable unit and did "take-Ons" with nearby teams, and if my memory serves me right, we were never beaten!! .
    Happy Days Indeed, and a Different time in a Different world, watching Hibs, when they were on a Level Playing Field with the Best teams in Europe.

Quote Originally Posted by EastThomasSTboy View Post
    From the late 60s to about 1977, a whole bunch of us from Easter Road, East Thomas Street, Rossie place, etc, would meet up, mostly on a Sunday morning, and walk up to the Meadows (as we got older we got the number1 bus) take the Prime Position Pitch, at the bottom Right of Middle Meadow Walk, put our jumpers down for goalposts and play fitba.
    That'd be a very young me (in the Striker role), mostly accompanied by the older, Billy Stevenson, Colin & Billy McDonald, Goldie, The Landell Brothers (Norrie was the better player) Billy Forbes, The Paterson Brothers (guid hard players), and all of us Hibs Supporters, who all went to the matches together!!, and we were joined at the meadows by Allan and Keith (Posh lads) and a fair number of extras, including the "CocK' & a "Hen" lot, who met up with us regularly.
    This included Dougie Love, who from memory was a Hearts fan, always in a Hearts jersey, most notably the Ajax one, and he could run!! Also another one, surname "Bell" who we nick-named "Ding-Dong". There was also a Rangers fan, whose name escapes me.
    After a while we moulded ourselves into quite a formidable unit and did "take-Ons" with nearby teams, and if my memory serves me right, we were never beaten!! .
    Happy Days Indeed, and a Different time in a Different world, watching Hibs, when they were on a Level Playing Field with the Best teams in Europe.

I’d never have left my jumper unattended anywhere near someone from “ Chinatown”......

First Team Breakthrough EastThomasSTboy's Avatar

Chinatown!!! Bloody Hell

I’d never have left my jumper unattended anywhere near someone from “ Chinatown”......
    "Chinatown" was the nickname given to East Thomas Street (Just off Easter Road- demolished in 1975) and was a row of auld tenements, which the "Sunday Post" declared was one of Scotlands worst slums!!! (cheeky barstewards) and was a great place to grow up. Like the present lockdown, everyone looked out for their neighbour in these days, especially when evictions were commonplace, and on coming home from School, you would see some poor persons pitiful belongings thrown out in the street.Re my Earlier entry about our Meadows Fitba team, I got the Gallagher Brothers mixed up (calling them the Patersons...its an age thing!).

@hibs.net private member
    My dad was born and brought up in east Thomas street and I can remember as a young boy visiting my gran and grandad there always remember lots of pigeons in the street mind maybe playing tricks though.

@hibs.net private member linlithgowhibbie's Avatar
    Was there not a large bit of graffitti stating "YOU ARE NOW ENTERING CHINATOWN" painted in yellow on the gable end so it was visible from Easter Rd (the road, not stadium)