hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Subbuteo

Subbuteo

In this football free world, it's amazing how much you miss it and how people look for replacements.

It's now getting so bad that I'm even regretting getting rid of my Subbuteo game from all those decades ago.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Keith_M View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    In this football free world, it's amazing how much you miss it and how people look for replacements.

It's now getting so bad that I'm even regretting getting rid of my Subbuteo game from all those decades ago.
    Still got all my gear and got back into it a few years ago. Some excellent stuff available nowadays equipment wise too but the old stuff is all still available on ebay. You could lose yourself for hours on there searching out old Subbuteo stuff. Not a bad time to be doing it. You could build up a collection again quite easily 😀

Quote Originally Posted by tamig View Post
    Still got all my gear and got back into it a few years ago. Some excellent stuff available nowadays equipment wise too but the old stuff is all still available on ebay. You could lose yourself for hours on there searching out old Subbuteo stuff. Not a bad time to be doing it. You could build up a collection again quite easily 😀

How about this one.

How about this one.

You wouldn't want to kneel on that!

Quote Originally Posted by Saltire2k View Post
    Excellent. I’ve got the original ref 45 heavyweights as in your pic and have a few hand painted modern efforts that I did myself.

Quote Originally Posted by tamig View Post
    Excellent. I’ve got the original ref 45 heavyweights as in your pic and have a few hand painted modern efforts that I did myself.
    Sounds good. Are you showing us?

OMG... is that yours?

OMG... is that yours?
    Sure is.

@hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar
    Still got my original Hibs team from the 70s.

Subbuteo teams make a good £20/£30/£40 on ebay.

I must have had 15/16 teams. Still got 4 of them!!

@hibs.net private member
    Used to get my teams from toy shop in leith walk cant remember the name maybe where KFC is now or roundabout there I used to get a poster with all the teams on it and apart from the obvious hibs had lots of teams and my second favourite was Zaire for some strange reason cant remember why great memories though.

@hibs.net private member linlithgowhibbie's Avatar
    Anyone remember the taller thin/flat players with the smaller base? They were being phased out in mid 60s.
    I learnt my skills with them.
    Sorry no pictures as they are long gone.
    Also the ball used to be bigger than the players probably about an inch in height.

Quote Originally Posted by Lancs Harp View Post

If you have a particularly rare team you can expect to gain £100-£150 or so.

Thats when games were proper games with actual humsn skills involved.Love it but unfortunately with computers will never become popular again.Memory if i recall the inventor was a serious bird watcher hence called his game after a hawk.Might be an old urban myth though.

Quote Originally Posted by zitelli62 View Post
    Used to get my teams from toy shop in leith walk cant remember the name maybe where KFC is now or roundabout there I used to get a poster with all the teams on it and apart from the obvious hibs had lots of teams and my second favourite was Zaire for some strange reason cant remember why great memories though.
    Harburn Hobbies up nearer Elm Row?

Quote Originally Posted by zitelli62 View Post
    Morley's? That's where I bought my first team - and lots of others.

Quote Originally Posted by linlithgowhibbie View Post
    Anyone remember the taller thin/flat players with the smaller base? They were being phased out in mid 60s.
    I learnt my skills with them.
    Sorry no pictures as they are long gone.
    Also the ball used to be bigger than the players probably about an inch in height.
    Do you mean the really flat, 2-dimensional players? Celuloid? https://www.subbuteoworld.co.uk/cell...-mint-no-bases

Sounds good. Are you showing us?
    I’ll need to try and see if I can upload some pics. I’ve painted a load of teams and screwed my eyes in the process 😎

yes the flat ones, but their bases were much smaller allowing you to curl your player round your opponents

Quote Originally Posted by Lancs Harp View Post

Some of the rarer teams can fetch well into the hundreds.

Quote Originally Posted by The Count View Post
    Thats when games were proper games with actual humsn skills involved.Love it but unfortunately with computers will never become popular again.Memory if i recall the inventor was a serious bird watcher hence called his game after a hawk.Might be an old urban myth though.
    He was an ornithologist. He originally wanted to call the game "The Hobby" but I think that was seen as a bit bland so ended up using 'Subbuteo' as the latin name for the Hobby (a small bird of prey) is Falco Subbuteo Subbuteo.

This is a good wee read for anyone interested -

Growing Up with Subbuteo: My Dad Invented the World's Greatest Football Game https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/18998074..._0EDHEbTST5SSB

@hibs.net private member Argylehibby's Avatar
    I had loads of teams, would often stop off at Petersons in Musselburgh on way home from Easter Rd. and get another team. I also had the 5 a side version which had the wall around it and the pitch material made it fast as Boyler on a motorbike.
    Last edited by Argylehibby; 02-04-2020 at 12:24 PM.

Seem to remember there was a booklet or poster that listed all the clubs in the country / Europe with a picture of the subbuteo player and all the clubs the team colours represented. There was a least one other club listed with Hibs. Higher numbers were red and blue strips with some having a dozen or so teams listed against them.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal Hibernian View Post
    Seem to remember there was a booklet or poster that listed all the clubs in the country / Europe with a picture of the subbuteo player and all the clubs the team colours represented. There was a least one other club listed with Hibs. Higher numbers were red and blue strips with some having a dozen or so teams listed against them.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk
    They produced a few of the poster-style catalogues over the years then changed to booklets. In at least one poster-style edition, the Hibs team was listed with Plymouth and Bremer SV (W. Germany).

Striker is a far better and more skilful game! Striker experts then moved onto the amazing Johhny Hotshot football game.....

Quote Originally Posted by The Count View Post
    Those were the days, we had a league in Port Seton. Home games in your house and away games at your mates. Serious stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by BS44 View Post
    Striker is a far better and more skilful game! Striker experts then moved onto the amazing Johhny Hotshot football game.....
    Or blow footballl!!!

I remember getting my dad to add shirt numbers in tiny white Letraset. I think half my players ended up crocked after kneeling on them and had big dods of Airfix glue holding what was left of them to the base. My next door neighbour had the rugby and cricket versions but they were just weird!

Quote Originally Posted by ShadesLongThrow View Post
    I remember getting my dad to add shirt numbers in tiny white Letraset. I think half my players ended up crocked after kneeling on them and had big dods of Airfix glue holding what was left of them to the base. My next door neighbour had the rugby and cricket versions but they were just weird!
    Impressed my players had small numbers on the base at the back of their boots.