hibs.net Messageboard

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenbeard View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Just watched and relived the oh so near feeling.
    Bremner superb. So was Buchan. Harvey in goal too, taking time out from playing lead guitar for Slade.
    Wish Jinky had come on for Morgan for the last 20.
    These days that sort of "robust" match would have ended up 8 against 9 with about 6 others on yellow.
    The soundtrack to the match would have been Carl Douglas "Kung Fu Fighting"
    Just ruined the game.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by stantonhibby View Post
    Brazil morphed from their brilliant team in the 1970 tournament to a right dirty bunch in 74
    Just finished watching it, some shocking challenges on both sides (more so by Brazil).

@hibs.net private member Spike Mandela's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by HUTCHYHIBBY View Post
    Just finished watching it, some shocking challenges on both sides (more so by Brazil).
    Scotland had a big penalty shout for handball in the first half didn’t they?😳

Quote Originally Posted by Spike Mandela View Post
    Scotland had a big penalty shout for handball in the first half didn’t they?😳
    Aye, judging by the reaction of the players anyway! Never showed a replay and I never wound it back for a second look (drink might be clouding my memory)!

@hibs.net private member Spike Mandela's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by HUTCHYHIBBY View Post
    Aye, judging by the reaction of the players anyway! Never showed a replay and I never wound it back for a second look (drink might be clouding my memory)!
    I did rewind it😂 Definite pen, certainly by today’s standards anyway..

Quote Originally Posted by Spike Mandela View Post
    I did rewind it😂 Definite pen, certainly by today’s standards anyway..
    Agree. Dutch ref was shocking, probs more so against us but to be fair we got away with a few robust challenges which could have been called back. But by the same token there were some fouls given that never should have been. It was like he was just trying to balance things out. Some you give, some you don't.
    https://worldreferee.com/referee/arie_van_gemert/
    That was his only match at that WC. Presume he got a poor rating. And it looks like he retired afterwards. A nice retirement present for him. Ref'd us away v Sporting Lisbon in the Cup Winners Cup 1972. Any recollections anyone?

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Agree. Dutch ref was shocking, probs more so against us but to be fair we got away with a few robust challenges which could have been called back. But by the same token there were some fouls given that never should have been. It was like he was just trying to balance things out. Some you give, some you don't.
    That was his only match at that WC. Presume he got a poor rating. And it looks like he retired afterwards. A nice retirement present for him. Ref'd us away v Sporting Lisbon in the Cup Winners Cup 1972. Any recollections anyone?
    Story goes that Eddie Turnbull was giving his prematch team talk arms waving about just then a Sporting Lisbon official enters the HIBS Dressing Room with a tray of Rolex watches Eddie Turnbull turns around and accidentally knocks the tray up into the air Johnny Hamilton sitting there patiently listening to Eddie Turnbull calmly says “Look Boss time flies!”

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Seriously Pat Stanton said that 1-2 defeat was probably one of HIBS’ best ever performances in Europe and set us up nicely for the return leg

Pretty sure HIBS chartered a plane with supporters on board to make up the numbers

Left by mutual consent!
    Must be a Jambo in charge of posting these on BBC Scotland Sport page? Currently got the 2012 Cup Final, GMS hat-trick for the Sheep v us, and now the Hamilton play off which sent us down. FFS BBC. Neutral my erse.
    The jambo has decided to put details of their 2012 Cup win on BBC website today. How boring.

Sent from my LG-H840 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by EI255 View Post
    The jambo has decided to put details of their 2012 Cup win on BBC website today. How boring.

Sent from my LG-H840 using Tapatalk
    Probably the game that a neutral would pick to represent this date. What is more bizarre is when you look at the headlines for the individual clubs. Our headline is that story about that game whilst the Hearts lead story is the Obika goal that expelled them! We're not the only ones being trolled.

As an aside, why are Hearts still on the Premiership page and not Dundee United?
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

@hibs.net private member weecounty hibby's Avatar
    Just having a look now on the BBC sport pages and no mention of Hibs winning the cup 4 years ago today. 2 stories about the tarts cup wins, 1 about St Johnstone winning it. Celtic losing to Porto, Huns losing to Zenit but not a peep about Sir David Gray day. Joke of an organisation

Quote Originally Posted by weecounty hibby View Post
    Just having a look now on the BBC sport pages and no mention of Hibs winning the cup 4 years ago today. 2 stories about the tarts cup wins, 1 about St Johnstone winning it. Celtic losing to Porto, Huns losing to Zenit but not a peep about Sir David Gray day. Joke of an organisation
    "Choosing a game To highlight for the 21st May"

Option 1

For the first time a team makes both cup finals while playing in the lower leagues and wins the Scottish Cup after 114 years.

Option 2

Although remember there was that tasty reserve game at an overcast glebe park.

... yeah let's go option 2

First Team Breakthrough chasitup's Avatar
    Can’t argue with that, 114 years in the making and we get Celtic v effing Porto when they lost.

No unfortunately they are not a joke of an organisation.
    This is quite deliberate scheduling and shows the lengths
    The people who control the sport section will stoop to
    To refuse our club a wee bit of glory.
    Sad really.

@hibs.net private member green day's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ian omand View Post
    No unfortunately they are not a joke of an organisation.
    This is quite deliberate scheduling and shows the lengths
    The people who control the sport section will stoop to
    To refuse our club a wee bit of glory.
    Sad really.
    It's obviously a hearts fan in charge of this stuff. Let them have their wee pathetic giggle. They are still relegated.

Quote Originally Posted by chasitup View Post
    Can’t argue with that, 114 years in the making and we get Celtic v effing Porto when they lost.
    Bang out of order.

I defended their choice on Tuesday as the obvious one, but here they've scraped the bottom of the barrel to avoid the only realistic choice.

Just wait for them to pick the relegation playoff with Hamilton.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

I was at the game and 'the miss' was as excruciating in real life as it was on telly. The Brazilian team were probably the worst they've ever fielded and a right dirty bunch of cheats, unlike their fans who were amazing.

I bumped into my brother before the game (remember, no mobiles) and he'd been in a pagger a couple of days before and was covered in cuts and bruises, but this was in the bad old days before we realised it was nice to be nice.

I still have my programme which I got autographed by Rod Stewart (complete with greasy burger pawprint) and Junior Campbell at the Zaire game.

Scotland v Netherlands 1978 on now

Quote Originally Posted by DaveF View Post
    Scotland v Netherlands 1978 on now
    What a game! Esp on the back of the absolute Tom Kite in the first two games. Some folk say the Dutch took it easy but when you watch it again we just outplayed them with some superb stuff. Is that the best ever Scotland performance? Loved the speed of play. Every free kick, shy etc taken quickly. No farting about. We could have been
    4-0 up at half-time instead of 1-1! Jordan's header crashing off the bar, the offside goal which would very likely stand today (the two in the middle were well onside when the cross was hit but I think an out-of-shot Tom Forsyth on the far side might have been the player flagged, however he was not interfering with play), the Dalglish "goal" when he was deemed to have fouled the defender. That was as much a 50/50 call as the dubious penalty they got. If only both of these decisions had gone the other way. 4-0 Scotland at H-T!!

@hibs.net private member green day's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eyrie View Post
    Bang out of order.

I defended their choice on Tuesday as the obvious one, but here they've scraped the bottom of the barrel to avoid the only realistic choice.

Just wait for them to pick the relegation playoff with Hamilton.
    Not highlights, but that is featured as one of the top stories today..............