hibs.net Messageboard

Page 7 of 93 FirstFirst ... 567891757 ... LastLast
    @hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bishop Hibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I was one of the 7149 fans at the Hibs 1-0 Rangers game. Lucky if there were 1500 Huns. 35 years ago blimey.
    So was I. Kano scored at the Dunbar end and crossed himself.

Think that was the last game before Souness joined the dead club. His first league game was against guess who and where?

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Bishop Hibee View Post
    I was one of the 7149 fans at the Hibs 1-0 Rangers game. Lucky if there were 1500 Huns. 35 years ago blimey.
    I was in the North Stand that day. Always great to beat those bar stewards no matter the circumstances. Was Kano's goal not a penalty? Think the Huns only got half the Dunbar End, presumably to make it easier to keep them away from the happy Hibbies on the East Terracing.

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    Story goes Stein wanted to see the season out, Celtic had been at him for months to move. An "ultimatum" was then given that if Stein didn't move there and then the job would never be offered to him again.

It was very weird timing him upping and leaving given Hibs position in the League and Cup.

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk
    Should've had a spine and told them to GTF.

Quote Originally Posted by brog View Post
    The 11 May 1963 2 1 win over St Mirren deserves more than a footnote. We were 2nd bottom of the league & were odds on to go down. IIRC we were 1 down to a goal from Tom White, brother of John & a future Hawrts 'star'. We fought back to win 2 1 then went to Q of S & Raith in our last 2 games & won 4 0 in both. We avoided relegation by 2 points having gained 26% of our points in those last 3 games. The final game at Raith was an "exuberant" party.

Strange goings on then, Brian. (more on that later)
    I too as an 11yr old was at Starks for that game.
    Funny i can recall that far back but can hardly mind some more recent games
    With my parents and wee brothers in the main stand.
    At the final whistle, i "dreeped doon"oot the stand to join the exuberance on the pitch.

Wisnae till yrs later i heard suggestions of chicanery /skullduggery/downright dastardly goings on.
    To win your final two games by such margins and with ease whilst during all the previous games that season. we managed a handful of wins and were big relegation favourites.
    Maybe just pub talk /gossip eh ?
    Last edited by Mick O'Rourke; 11-05-2020 at 05:35 PM.

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SideBurns View Post
    I was in the North Stand that day. Always great to beat those bar stewards no matter the circumstances. Was Kano's goal not a penalty? Think the Huns only got half the Dunbar End, presumably to make it easier to keep them away from the happy Hibbies on the East Terracing.
    Don’t think it was a pen but I do remember quite a lot of fighting inside and outside the ground

Towards the end of the match fighting broke out on the East Terracing between HIBS and Rangers fans and the Referee took the players off the pitch at one point

Jonnyboy has it as a Kano strike in his excellent book and he should remember as his laddie was mascot that day

It was a penalty great shout updated
    Last edited by BILLYHIBS; 11-05-2020 at 05:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PatHead View Post
    So was I. Kano scored at the Dunbar end and crossed himself.

Think that was the last game before Souness joined the dead club. His first league game was against guess who and where?
    George McCluskey and an early bath?
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    Don’t think it was a pen but I do remember quite a lot of fighting inside and outside the ground

Towards the end of the match fighting broke out on the East Terracing between HIBS and Rangers fans and the Referee took the players off the pitch at one point

Jonnyboy has it as a Kano strike in his excellent book and he should remember as his laddie was mascot that day

It was a penalty great shout updated
    Cheers, nae bother. Re the fighting - even when there was hardly anyone there, the animosity between us and the Huns remained the same eh 😁.

The 1963 game v St.Mirren would have been a great nostalgia trip for my auld man. I'm assuming that must've been the period he used to talk about when Hibs could score plenty goals but conceded loads too and so ended up in relegation trouble. I'll defer to some of my dad's fellow 'old timers', though 😉.

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    Should've had a spine and told them to GTF.
    Stein? It was obvious he would always end up there.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eyrie View Post
    George McCluskey and an early bath?
    Yip

12/5/2013 Scottish League SPL

Hearts 1 v 2 Hibernian

Griffiths
    Caldwell

Ross Caldwell curled in a wonderful 90th minute strike to give Hibernian their first derby win at Tynecastle in four years

Darren Barr poked Hearts in front on the stroke of half time as keeper Ben Williams messed up from a corner but a stunning free-kick from Leigh Griffiths ( who made up for his wrongly disallowed free-kick at Easter Road) levelled matters early in the second half. Ross Caldwell’s cool finish from 14 yards on the 90th minute lifted HIBS back above Hearts into ninth place in the SPL table

Jordon Forster made a solid debut in the HIBS defence which was HIBS ‘ first unbeaten season against their city rivals since 2000/01.

Hibs Williams Maybury Forster Hanlon Stevenson Claros Taiwo Thomson Harris Caldwell and Griffiths

Sub Robertson for Thomson 80

Unused Murdock Donaldson Deegan Wotherspoon Doyle and Handling

Att: 15994

https://youtu.be/p-N79B-rTP4

12/5/2012 Scottish League SPL

Inverness CT 2 v 0 Hibernian

Hibs’ last game of a season in which they finished eleventh but they had already guaranteed their safety by defeating Aberdeen 2-1 away and defeating Dunfermline 4-0 at home to relegate them

12/5/2007 Scottish League SPL

Hearts 2 v 0 Hibernian

A bad day at the office for HIBS with defensive lapses costing HIBS dear in this one

A mixed bag of a season HIBS’ cup runs affecting their league form winning the CIS Cup and being knocked out of the Scottish Cup in a semi-final replay versus Dunfermline Athletic

This was HIBS’ penultimate game they would finish sixth going on to defeat Celtic 2-1 at home in the final game of the season Derek Riordan would score for Celtic

12/5/2002 Scottish League SPL St Johnstone A 1-0

Townsley

Hibs would finish tenth in this season St Johnstone already relegated

12/5/1984 Scottish League Premier Division Rangers H 0-0

12/5/1979 Scottish Cup Final

Rangers 0 v 0 Hibernian

This match was eagerly anticipated but on the day was a huge disappointment with both teams cancelling each other out HIBS held their own and looked the more likely in the last 20 minutes coming close on a couple of occasions but the match is probably best remembered for the penalty that never was as Rangers goalkeeper Peter McCloy unceremoniously barged into young Colin Campbell when he was clean through on goal It took a brave man to give a penalty against the old firm in Glasgow in the dying minutes and referee McGinlay waved away the HIBS protests

The attendance was affected by live TV coverage with only 53615 attending

Also worth mentioning the amount of violence and abuse the HIBS support was subjected to throughout the seventies from the Hun horde was unacceptable once again many of our supporters buses would return from Glasgow minus their windows

The match went to a replay on the Wednesday night which once again finished 0-0 after extra time the best chance of the match falling to young Gordon Rae in extra time who seemed to hesitate and the chance was lost

The match went to a second replay which was delayed for 12 days because of the Scotland v England international

The third match started well for HIBS who were the better team and took the lead through Tony Higgins only for Rangers to peg them back Rangers then went ahead just after half time only for HIBS to equalise with an Ally MacLeod penalty with 12 minutes to go

Into extra-time and Jim McArthur saved a Rangers penalty taken by future HIBS boss Alex Miller only for HIBS to go up the park and hit the post. In cruel fashion however the HIBS Scottish Cup Final curse struck once again when long time club servant Arthur Duncan in trying to prevent a curling Davy Cooper cross to the back post reaching a waiting Rangers player he could only succeed in heading the ball into his own goal

Hibs McArthur Brazil Duncan Bremner Stewart McNamara Hutchinson MacLeod Callachan Campbell and Higgins

Sub Rae

12/5/1965 Summer Cup Group 4 Hearts A 2-2

Cormack
    Martin

12/5/1953 Coronation Cup First Round Replay Tottenham Hotspur N 2-1

Reilly 2

12/5/1950 Challenge Match

Bayern Munich 1 v 6 Hibernian

Smith 2
    Reilly
    Souness
    Ormond
    Johnstone

Only a friendly but such was the standing of HIBS in Europe they were very much sought after for these games because of their reputation for fast exciting entertaining attacking football

The Bayern side was skippered by future West German 1954 World Cup Winning captain Hans Bauer

The above match was part of a post season tour of Austria Germany and Switzerland the results being:

4/5/1950 Rapid Vienna 3 v 2 Hibernian

Turnbull
    Ormond

6/5/1950 Linzer AC 1 v 3 Hibernian

Smith
    Turnbull
    Ormond

10/5/1950 Augsburg 2 v 4 Hibernian

Turnbull
    Reilly
    Smith
    Ormond

12/5/1950 Bayern Munich 1 v 6 Hibernian

18/5/1950 Muhlburg Karlsruhe 0 v 3 hibernian

Smith
    Aird
    Johnstone

20/5/1950 Berne 0 v 1 Hibernian

Johnstone

Hibernian FC On This Day Colquhoun and Sinnet

What kept you HIBS? James Stephen

Gordon Smith Prince of Wingers Tony Smith

Birthdays

John Blackley

www.fitbastats.com
    Last edited by BILLYHIBS; 12-05-2020 at 06:22 PM.

@hibs.net private member weecounty hibby's Avatar
    Love these. I was only 10 at the time of the cup final and my abiding memory of the day isn't anything that happened on the park. It was the absolute carnage outside after the game. The Hun, helped by the weegie polis were a total disgrace. One of the younger guys in our bus came back looking like he had been in a car crash. The police stood back and watched as Hibbies took lickings and actually stopped Hibs fans getting off the buses to help. Our bust had hardly any windows left by the time we got back to Alloa. Firmly ingrained into me from a pretty young age just how ****my they are as a club and as a support. Absolutely hate them

Quote Originally Posted by weecounty hibby View Post
    Love these. I was only 10 at the time of the cup final and my abiding memory of the day isn't anything that happened on the park. It was the absolute carnage outside after the game. The Hun, helped by the weegie polis were a total disgrace. One of the younger guys in our bus came back looking like he had been in a car crash. The police stood back and watched as Hibbies took lickings and actually stopped Hibs fans getting off the buses to help. Our bust had hardly any windows left by the time we got back to Alloa. Firmly ingrained into me from a pretty young age just how ****my they are as a club and as a support. Absolutely hate them

Likewise going back to the early seventies I was a young 12 year old open-minded schoolboy of Irish Catholic descent only really there for the fitba and my love of HIBS but ever since then based on my many unpleasant experiences in games versus Rangers I now detest that horrible club and everything they stand for

Just saying likes!
    Last edited by BILLYHIBS; 12-05-2020 at 08:24 AM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick O'Rourke View Post
    Strange goings on then, Brian. (more on that later)
    I too as an 11yr old was at Starks for that game.
    Funny i can recall that far back but can hardly mind some more recent games
    With my parents and wee brothers in the main stand.
    At the final whistle, i "dreeped doon"oot the stand to join the exuberance on the pitch.

Wisnae till yrs later i heard suggestions of chicanery /skullduggery/downright dastardly goings on.
    To win your final two games by such margins and with ease whilst during all the previous games that season. we managed a handful of wins and were big relegation favourites.
    Maybe just pub talk /gossip eh ?
    The main talk of skullduggery involved the Hearts 3 3 game before the St M game. In the build up they offered us 2 of their outcasts, we told them to bolt but other clubs were suspicious. The Q of S result was a pleasant surprise but Raith was not unexpected. They were miles adrift at the bottom & had lost 10-0 to the Sheep. Cue early exuberance! 😊

Quote Originally Posted by brog View Post
    The main talk of skullduggery involved the Hearts 3 3 game before the St M game. In the build up they offered us 2 of their outcasts, we told them to bolt but other clubs were suspicious. The Q of S result was a pleasant surprise but Raith was not unexpected. They were miles adrift at the bottom & had lost 10-0 to the Sheep. Cue early exuberance! ��
    just had a browse for mor info on that time
    Interesting to note the following

""May, Hibs ended the season in 16th place in the league and had only avoided relegation after wins against St Mirren, Queen of the South and Raith Rovers in the last three games.

Chairman Harry Swan J.P. stepped down and local bookmaker William P. Harrower MBE, took over and invested money into the club."
    .................................................. ..........................
    Would Harrower have got involved had we got relegated ?

Did anything occur to assist us in NOT getting relegated ?

Food for thought for those here who may recall that season
    Even vaguely ,like me

PS Brog
    Wee man said you called the other day
    My ...he is missing his holiday to Portugal
    I mentioned you had been doing these quizzes as has Billy
    So encouraged him to log on

Oh and hi to Fred down under
    He called too

13/5/2018 Scottish League Premiership

Hibernian 5 v 5 The Rangers

Kamberi pen
    Allan
    MacLaren 3

Jamie MacLaren netted a dramatic late equaliser to claim his hat-trick as Hibernian and Rangers shared ten goals in the Easter Road sunshine with the Easter Road side registering their highest ever points total in the top flight in the process

Hibs had to win this match by five goals and raced into an unassailable three goal lead thanks to a Kamberi penalty when MacLaren was pulled down in the box a Scott Allan tap in from a Slivka cut back from a Lewis Stevenson cross and a brilliantly executed MacLaren header from another Stevenson cross

Hibernian almost added the fourth goal they so badly needed but Alnwick pulled off a fantastic save from Whittaker’s strike from John McGinn’s corner The goalkeeper quickly released the ball as Rangers stormed forward on the counter-attack and when Holt rolled the ball into the path of Tavernier he quickly dispatched it behind Rocky

Hibs were undone again when Jamie Murphy threaded a brilliant ball through to Rossiter who drilled it low into the far corner of the net.

Jamie MacLaren was just denied at the other end when he latched onto a stray ball in the Rangers box but Bates got a foot in just in time to concede a corner

Seven minutes from half-time Bruno Alves squared the match when he curled in a stunning free-kick from 25 yards. Jason Cummings almost gave Rangers the lead just before half-time when he latched onto an Ambrose mistake rounded Rocky but thankfully Ambrose got back to clear the danger

Into the second half and Rangers found themselves 5-3 ahead thanks to two fortuitous deflected Jason Holt strikes That should have been it but in typical fashion McGinn drove deep into the Rangers half fed Slivka who teed it up for Jamie MacLaren for a comfortable finish

A remarkable game continued to flow from end to end and with 13 minutes left Hibernian survived a real let off when Whittaker appeared to handle in the box before Darren MacGregor cleared Jamie Murphy’s net bound shot off the line

With five minutes remaining Rangers were reduced to 10 men when Jason Holt was dismissed for a second bookable offence for pulling back John McGinn

In the final minute Alnwick produced a stunning save from McGeouch as Hibernian turned the screw on the beleaguered Rangers defence

Easter Road erupted deep into time added on when Jamie MacLaren turned home a low Brandon Barker cross at the near post high into the Rangers net

HIBS Rocky Whittaker Ambrose Hanlon McGinn Slivka McGeouch Stevenson MacLaren S Allan and Kamberi

Subs Barker for Allan 65 McGregor for Ambrose 70 Swanson for Stevenson 86

Unused Gray Bartley Dabrowski and Allan

Att 19579

https://youtu.be/_xbjgsv3o0c

13/5/2016 Scottish Championship Play-Off Semi Final 2nd Leg

Falkirk 3 v 2 Hibernian ( Agg 5-4 )

Keatings 2

A jaw dropping last second Bob McHugh goal put Falkirk into the play-off final to play Kilmarnock

On a night of high drama Falkirk took the lead through a Blair Alston strike James Keatings pulled two back for the Hibees the first from the penalty spot

Luke Leahy struck an equaliser before Hibs’ Jason Cummings thumped the bar Extra time beckoned but in the last act McHugh turned on a long throw in to thump the ball into the HIBS net

https://youtu.be/n_8vWn3Xaq0

13/5/2009 Scottish League SPL

HIBS 1 v 1 Rangers

Riordan

Rangers failed to claim top spot in the SPL after fighting back to earn a draw in a pulsating encounter at Easter Road Derek Riordan gave HIBS the lead with a splendid curling strike Nacho Novo thought he had equalised but the Assistant Referee said the ball had not crossed the line

The Spaniard did grab a leveller 10 minutes from the end but HIBS held on to claim a point

13/5/2001 Scottish League SPL Hearts H 0-0

13/5/1995 Scottish League Premier Division Kilmarnock A 2-1

McGinlay
    Wright

Hibs finished third in this season getting knocked out of the Scottish Cup by Celtic in a replayed semi-Final at Ibrox

13/5/1989 Scottish League Premier Division Dundee H 1-1

Findlay

Hibs’ final game of the season they would finish fifth and reached the Scottish Cup semi-final where they lost 3-1 to Celtic Stevie Archibald scoring for HIBS

13/5/1964 Summer Cup Group 4 Hearts H 1-0

Stan Vincent

Hibs won this dreary encounter against the section leaders thanks to a Stan Vincent goal

Hibs under the guidance of Jock Stein were starting to climb back up through the section and would end up tying with Dunfermline Athletic for second place and would face a winner takes all play-off at Tynecastle Park

Birthdays

Neil Orr

At Easter Road They Play. John Campbell

www.fitbastats.com
    Last edited by BILLYHIBS; 13-05-2020 at 08:14 AM.

NHC : 13/5/2012 EPL
    Man City 3 v 2 QPR

Man City 2-1 down with 5 minutes to go needing two goals against 10 man QPR to win the EPL for the first time since 1968

Almost as good as 21/5/2016

https://youtu.be/U1fhiP2fjYc
    Last edited by BILLYHIBS; 13-05-2020 at 01:34 PM.

Left by mutual consent!
    13/5/2018 Scottish League Premiership

Hibernian 5 v 5 The Rangers

Kamberi pen
    Allan
    MacLaren 3

Jamie MacLaren netted a dramatic late equaliser to claim his hat-trick as Hibernian and Rangers shared ten goals in the Easter Road sunshine with the Easter Road side registering their highest ever points total in the top flight in the process

Hibs had to win this match by five goals and raced into an unassailable three goal lead thanks to a Kamberi penalty when MacLaren was pulled down in the box a Scott Allan tap in from a Slivka cut back from a Lewis Stevenson cross and a brilliantly executed MacLaren header from another Stevenson cross

Hibernian almost added the fourth goal they so badly needed but Alnwick pulled off a fantastic save from Whittaker’s strike from John McGinn’s corner The goalkeeper quickly released the ball as Rangers stormed forward on the counter-attack and when Holt rolled the ball into the path of Tavernier he quickly dispatched it behind Rocky

Hibs were undone again when Jamie Murphy threaded a brilliant ball through to Rossiter who drilled it low into the far corner of the net.

Jamie MacLaren was just denied at the other end when he latched onto a stray ball in the Rangers box but Bates got a foot in just in time to concede a corner

Seven minutes from half-time Bruno Alves squared the match when he curled in a stunning free-kick from 25 yards. Jason Cummings almost gave Rangers the lead just before half-time when he latched onto an Ambrose mistake rounded Rocky but thankfully Ambrose got back to clear the danger

Into the second half and Rangers found themselves 5-3 ahead thanks to two fortuitous deflected Jason Holt strikes That should have been it but in typical fashion McGinn drove deep into the Rangers half fed Slivka who teed it up for Jamie MacLaren for a comfortable finish

A remarkable game continued to flow from end to end and with 13 minutes left Hibernian survived a real let off when Whittaker appeared to handle in the box before Darren MacGregor cleared Jamie Murphy’s net bound shot off the line

With five minutes remaining Rangers were reduced to 10 men when Jason Holt was dismissed for a second bookable offence for pulling back John McGinn

In the final minute Alnwick produced a stunning save from McGeouch as Hibernian turned the screw on the beleaguered Rangers defence

Easter Road erupted deep into time added on when Jamie MacLaren turned home a low Brandon Barker cross at the near post high into the Rangers net

HIBS Rocky Whittaker Ambrose Hanlon McGinn Slivka McGeouch Stevenson MacLaren S Allan and Kamberi

Subs Barker for Allan 65 McGregor for Ambrose 70 Swanson for Stevenson 86

Unused Gray Bartley Dabrowski and Allan

Att 19579

https://youtu.be/_xbjgsv3o0c

13/5/2016 Scottish Championship Play-Off Semi Final 2nd Leg

Falkirk 3 v 2 Hibernian ( Agg 5-4 )

Keatings 2

A jaw dropping last second Bob McHugh goal put Falkirk into the play-off final to play Kilmarnock

On a night of high drama Falkirk took the lead through a Blair Alston strike James Keatings pulled two back for the Hibees the first from the penalty spot

Luke Leahy struck an equaliser before Hibs’ Jason Cummings thumped the bar Extra time beckoned but in the last act McHugh turned on a long throw in to thump the ball into the HIBS net

https://youtu.be/n_8vWn3Xaq0

13/5/2009 Scottish League SPL

HIBS 1 v 1 Rangers

Riordan

Rangers failed to claim top spot in the SPL after fighting back to earn a draw in a pulsating encounter at Easter Road Derek Riordan gave HIBS the lead with a splendid curling strike Nacho Novo thought he had equalised but the Assistant Referee said the ball had not crossed the line

The Spaniard did grab a leveller 10 minutes from the end but HIBS held on to claim a point

13/5/2001 Scottish League SPL Hearts H 0-0

13/5/1995 Scottish League Premier Division Kilmarnock A 2-1

McGinlay
    Wright

Hibs finished third in this season getting knocked out of the Scottish Cup by Celtic in a replayed semi-Final at Ibrox

13/5/1989 Scottish League Premier Division Dundee H 1-1

Findlay

Hibs’ final game of the season they would finish fifth and reached the Scottish Cup semi-final where they lost 3-1 to Celtic Stevie Archibald scoring for HIBS

13/5/1964 Summer Cup Group 4 Hearts H 1-0

Stan Vincent

Hibs won this dreary encounter against the section leaders thanks to a Stan Vincent goal

Hibs under the guidance of Jock Stein were starting to climb back up through the section and would end up tying with Dunfermline Athletic for second place and would face a winner takes all play-off at Tynecastle Park

Birthdays

Neil Orr

www.fitbastats.com
    5-5 game was a great spectacle, I actually thought we were going to get the goals required to seal 3rd place. If we just needed a win that day we would have done so comfortably. Cummings was also anonymous that day.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibeesmad View Post
    5-5 game was a great spectacle, I actually thought we were going to get the goals required to seal 3rd place. If we just needed a win that day we would have done so comfortably. Cummings was also anonymous that day.

We all did mate

14/5/2011 Scottish League SPL

Hibernian 1 v 3 Aberdeen

Riordan

This would be Derek Riordan’s last game for HIBS

The start of the game was preceded by a minutes applause for the late Eddie Turnbull who had served both clubs so well as Manager and spent his whole playing career with Hibernian

Derek Riordan gave HIBS the lead in the first half but a Josh Maginnis header early into the second half followed by a Chris Maguire double gave the Dons all three points despite HIBS coming close hitting the crossbar and the post

Thanks for the memories Deek!

https://youtu.be/cNi_g16Ra_U

14/5/2005 Scottish League SPL Aberdeen H 1-2

Riordan

14/5/2000 Scottish League SPL Dundee A 0-1

14/5/1994 Scottish League Premier Division Kilmarnock H 0-0

14/5/1983 Scottish League Premier Division Aberdeen A 0-5

Birthdays

John Madsen

Alan Gordon RIP

http://www.hibshistoricaltrust.org.u...ds/alan-gordon

www.fitbastats.com

@hibs.net private member weecounty hibby's Avatar
    Wow, 14th of may is not a good day for Hibs. Thank God that the 2016 cup final was a week later!!
    I was at ER the day the sheep won the league. All my family are from Aberdeen and they were all down for the weekend. Was a pretty miserable weekend for a 14 yo Hibbe in a family of sheep

Quote Originally Posted by weecounty hibby View Post
    Wow, 14th of may is not a good day for Hibs. Thank God that the 2016 cup final was a week later!!
    I was at ER the day the sheep won the league. All my family are from Aberdeen and they were all down for the weekend. Was a pretty miserable weekend for a 14 yo Hibbe in a family of sheep
    Yip that was 3rd May 1980

I was there and thought we played ok

At least there were two happy hibbies in the Aberdeen camp Assistant Manager Pat Stanton and Gordon Strachan

Pretty sure Stevie Archibald scored for the Sheep

NHC

14/5/1995 English Premier League

Liverpool 2 v 1 Blackburn Rovers

25 years ago today Blackburn Rovers won the EPL

After finishing 19th in the old Second Division in 1990/91 4th in the EPL in 1992/93 after gaining promotion as play-off winners, runners up in 1993/94 they finally won the First Division / Premier League Championship in 1994/95 for the first time since 1914 when Manchester United were unable to defeat West Ham at Upton Park on the last day of the season

Blackburn Rovers of course will be eternally grateful to the late Jack Walker and the SAS

( Sutton and Shearer ).

https://youtu.be/LmcRv17FKa8
    Last edited by BILLYHIBS; 15-05-2020 at 10:39 AM.

15/5/2013 Scottish League SPL

Kilmarnock 1 v 3 Hibernian

Robertson
    Doyle 2

This was a re-arranged fixture as the previous fixture was abandoned after a Kilmarnock fan very sadly collapsed and passed away later in Hospital when the scores were tied at 1-1

Hibs rested Leigh Griffiths with the Scottish Cup Final in mind Kilmarnock played a young team and Lewis Stevenson captained the side

Scott Robertson opened the scoring prodding the ball into the net from close range to claim his first goal for the club. Scott Robertson then added what he thought was a second but this was correctly ruled out as he was adjudged to have used a hand

Kilmarnock flew out the traps in the second half with Paul Heffernan going close. Murdoch in the HIBS goal did well to get down to a Lee Ashcroft header but he could do little about his next attempt a looping back post header that secured Kilmarnock’s equaliser and marked his debut with his first goal for the club

The home side were almost in front moments later when substitute Borja Perez’s strike hit the post and Heffernan connected with the rebound but the ball flew over. Eoin Doyle then headed the ball home but for the second time the referee ruled out a HIBS strike this time for offside

With Kilmarnock looking the more likely in the closing stages as they surged forward HIBS hit them with a late double whammy Alex Harris powered the ball across the face of the goal and Doyle stretched to poke the ball home to claim his 10th goal of the season and in the dying moments as Kilmarnock searched in vain for an equaliser Doyle powered home from 12 yards to secure all three points

Hibs Murdoch Maybury Hanlon Forster Stevenson Thomson Deegan Wotherspoon Robertson Doyle and Handling

Subs Horribine for Thomson 63 Harris for Wotherspoon 64 McGivern for Deegan 73

Unused Grant Caldwell Donaldson Done

Att 3198

https://youtu.be/GxutLUyxViQ

15/5/2004 Scottish League SPL

Livingston 4 v 1 Hibernian

Doumbe

Hibs under interim boss Gerry McCabe faced their arch nemesis Livingston FC they had played them five times this season and lost four including the League Cup Final

15/5/1993 Scottish League Premier Division

Hibernian 0 v 1 Partick Thistle

Gareth Evans sent off

The last game of the season HIBS would finish seventh in this season

This game would mark John Burridge’s last game for Hibernian He would retire from HIBS a League Cup winner and Hibernian’s oldest ever player at 41 years 163 days the only player that would do a lap of honour for the fans at the end of every game to thank them just for turning up and what about them warm-ups?

In true Budgie style that was not the end of the story he went on to sign for :

Newcastle United Scarborough Lincoln City Enfield Aberdeen Newcastle United (again) Dunfermline Athletic Dumbarton Falkirk Manchester City Notts County Witton Albion Darlington Grimsby Town Gateshead Northampton Town Queen of the South Purfleet Blyth Spartans Scarborough and Blyth Spartans again as Player Manager currently Goalkeeping Coach at Kerala Blasters in the Indian Super League

https://youtu.be/BRulE9858eE

15/5/1982 Scottish League Premier Division

Morton 0 v 0 Hibernian

Manager: Bertie Auld.

15/5/1965 Summer Cup Group 4

Hibernian 1 v 2 Dunfermline Athletic

Neil Martin

Dunfermline gain revenge for the recent 2-0 defeat at East End when Willie Hamilton scored a brace

HIBS would qualify for the semi-final

15/5/1963 Scottish League Division One

Queen of the South 0 v 4 Hibernian

Scott
    Stevenson
    Baker 2

Hibs were flirting with relegation and won this game in hand they had over fellow relegation candidates Clyde thanks to an early goal to relax the nerves and the backing of a large, noisy and vociferous HIBS support

To ensure survival HIBS had to guarantee three points from their last two games the first part had been achieved they now had to travel to already relegated Raith Rovers whereas Clyde had to get a result against Rangers at home

Birthdays

Derek Anderson

www.fitbastats.com
    Last edited by BILLYHIBS; 15-05-2020 at 04:57 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick O'Rourke View Post
    just had a browse for mor info on that time
    Interesting to note the following

""May, Hibs ended the season in 16th place in the league and had only avoided relegation after wins against St Mirren, Queen of the South and Raith Rovers in the last three games.

Chairman Harry Swan J.P. stepped down and local bookmaker William P. Harrower MBE, took over and invested money into the club."
    .................................................. ..........................
    Would Harrower have got involved had we got relegated ?

Did anything occur to assist us in NOT getting relegated ?

Food for thought for those here who may recall that season
    Even vaguely ,like me

PS Brog
    Wee man said you called the other day
    My ...he is missing his holiday to Portugal
    I mentioned you had been doing these quizzes as has Billy
    So encouraged him to log on

Oh and hi to Fred down under
    He called too

Michael, I just saw this. I believe you call him The Grass now! Yeah, was good to chat with him, I should have been off to Portugal on Monday also!

Andy Murray 33 today

Anyone know the name of his Grandad who was on HIBS ‘ books back in 1952?

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Andy Murray 33 today

Anyone know the name of his Grandad who was on HIBS ‘ books back in 1952?
    Roy Erskine?

As opposed to Anthony Stokes granda, who was called Tavernier Erskinned.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    Roy Erskine?

😀

Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    Roy Erskine?

Another question scored off the list for the Wee Stinker

16/5/1979 Scottish Cup Final Replay

hibernian 0 v 0 Rangers AET

A dull match played in wet and windy conditions in which both sides had chances to score but could not provide a winner after extra time so both teams would have to return to Hampden Park for a second replay on Monday 28th May 1979

Honourable mention to Jackie MacNamara who was a rock for us at the back over the three games. 17 year old Stephen Brown looked a real prospect when he came on in this game but sadly he was not to make it at HIBS and I remember Colin Campbell and Gordon Rae both having opportunities to score

We only needed one goal to win it ???

Hibs McArthur Brazil Duncan Bremner Stewart MacNamara Rae MacLeod Campbell Callachan and Higgins Sub: Brown

Att 32854

16/5/1964 Summer Cup Group 4

Dunfermline Athletic 1 v 1 Hibernian

Leishman

This match produced an identical result to the reverse fixture 10 days earlier at Easter Road with Tommy Leishman scoring at the right end this time to equalise Harry Melroses’ opener for the pars

Willie Wilson in the HIBS goal had a wonderful game pulling off a series of excellent saves including a double penalty save

Hibs would go all the way in this competition under the guidance of Jock Stein

Hibs Wilson Fraser Leishman Stanton McNamee J Stevenson J Scott Martin Vincent ORourke and Baxter

16/5/1953 Coronation Cup Semi Final

hibernian 4 v 0 Newcastle United

Turnbull 2
    Reilly
    Johnstone

HIBS were into the semi-final after defeating Tottenham Hotspur after a replay and faced hot favourites Newcastle United who had defeated Aberdeen 4-2 in the previous round

Newcastle started brightly enough and Tommy Younger pulled off two outstanding saves to deny them but HIBS turned on a virtuoso display of fast interchanging attacking football that was a joy to behold and Newcastle could not cope.

Eddie Turnbull opened the scoring for HIBS in the 16th minute and then turned provider to set up Lawrie Reilly who made it two before the break. Newcastle missed a first half penalty which might have put a different complexion on things but it was not to be as the second half continued in the same format as the first with Bobby Johnstone finishing off a neat three man move and Eddie Turnbull completing the scoring before the end to give HIBS a decisive and convincing 4-0 victory

In the other semi-final Celtic pulled off a shock to defeat Manchester United 2-1 to set up a battle of the greens in the final of the Coronation Cup at Hampden Park on 20th May 1953

Hibs Younger Govan Howie Buchanan Paterson Combe Smith Johnstone Reilly Turnbull and Ormond

Newcastle Simpson Batty Cowell Harvey Brennan Crowe White Mulgrew Milburn Hannah and Mitchell

Att 35000

Ibrox Park

www.fitbastats.com
    Last edited by BILLYHIBS; 16-05-2021 at 09:30 AM.

17/5/2009 Scottish League SPL

Hibernian 0 v 0 Celtic

Hibs dealt a mortal blow to Gordon Strachan’s Celtic sides’ Championship hopes with this no scoring draw at Easter Road after holding Celtic’s fellow title contenders Rangers 1-1 in midweek thanks to a Derek Riordan strike.

HIBS defended stoutly for long periods of this game their best chance being a Steven Fletcher over-head scissors kick that Artur Boruc did well to save

Celtic now trail Rangers by two points with one game remaining Celtic face Hearts at home and Rangers travel to Tannadice where Dundee United need one point to be sure of a Europa League place

Hibs would finish sixth and Manager Mixu Paatelainen would resign at the end of the season

Full match

https://youtu.be/84sXo1nHsws

17/5/2003 Scottish League SPL

Livingston 1 v 2 Hibernian

Scott Brown 2

Scott Brown scored in the 38th and 69th minutes Fernando Pasquinelli pulled one back for Livvy in the 87th minute

Hibs finished seventh in this season Broonie obviously still being utilised as a forward bottom club Motherwell who finished 12th were spared from relegation as First Division Champions Falkirk did not have a suitable ground

17/5/1997 Premier Division Play-Offs Final Leg 1

Hibernian 1 v 0 Airdrieonians

Cooper og

Hibs had finished ninth in this season and now faced a winner takes all two legged affair against Alex MacDonald’s First Division runner’s up Airdrieonians to hang onto their Premiership status.

From a HIBS point of view Airdrieonians were the worst possible opponents we could face in a play-off situation

They were an awkward squad full of ex-jambos who were dead set on taking HIBS’ place in the old Premier Division they were a team of real scrappers, in your face, niggly and determined to win their own battles all over the pitch at all costs. I am convinced that if Airdrie could pick one team to play in a two legged affair to play in a play-off situation from the top ten it would have been us as we were on a steep downward trajectory under Jim Duffy and Airdrieonians had given us significant problems in cup tie situations in the past

I don’t think I have ever been so nervous going to a football match at Easter Road it was a tense brutal affair with no quarter given or asked played in a very nasty hostile poisonous atmosphere any actual football on display being at a premium as an intense war of attrition developed between both the sides

Luckily HIBS won this game thanks to an unfortunate own goal by the late Steve Cooper but would a slender one goal lead be enough to take through to the away leg?

Gordon Hunter would get sent off in the battle of Easter Road in what would prove to be his last game for HIBS

Airdrieonians would find themselves all square within sixty seconds of a do or die winner takes all second leg battle at Broadwood

Hibs Leighton Renwick Hughes Welsh McQuilken Hunter Tosh McGinlay Dow Jackson and Wright

Subs Lavety and Power

Att 15308

17/5/1947 Scottish League Division One Old

Falkirk 2 v 3 Hibernian

Johnstone
    Stirling
    Peat

Hibs would finish runners up in the league and Scottish Cup in this season

17/5/1902 Glasgow Charity Cup First Round

Rangers 0 v 1 Hibernian

Atherton

As Scottish Cup winners HIBS were invited to contest the Glasgow Charity Cup and they could not get away from Rangers being drawn against them at Cathkin Park in the first round on Saturday 17th May

Having no fear or respect for the Scottish Champions Hibernian immediately went on the attack and the early pressure immediately saw them score but you’ve guessed it it was disallowed for off-side. There was no holding HIBS however and Bobby Atherton gave them a 0-1 half-time lead

In the second half Rangers play was of the highest quality but they just could not break down the resolute HIBS defence they even missed their obligatory penalty

The HIBS team that day was Harry Rennie Archie Gray Jimmy Hogg Barney Breslin Jimmy Harrower Alex Robertson Bobby Atherton Andy McGeachan Johnny Divers Paddy Callaghan and Jimmy Buchan

Hibs would go on to defeat Morton 3-0 in the semi-final at Tynecastle and defeat Celtic in the final 6-2 at Hampden

Birthdays

Keith Wright

Inducted into the HIBS Hall of Fame 2012

https://youtu.be/JuYo0bi6FBM

http://www.hibshistoricaltrust.org.u...s/keith-wright

https://youtu.be/CVYyYC9T6TU

The Making of Hibernian The Brave Years. Alan Lugton

www.fitbastats.com
    Last edited by BILLYHIBS; 17-05-2020 at 01:21 PM.