hibs.net Messageboard

Page 63 of 93 FirstFirst ... 1353616263646573 ... LastLast
Results 1,861 to 1,890 of 2779
    @hibs.net private member Argylehibby's Avatar
    Said it before and will say it again an absolutely fabulous thread which I’ve read daily and scrolled through frequently. Thanks again Billy, can’t wait until the next quiz!

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Auckland Hibs's Avatar
    Best thread on .net

Thanks Billy.

First Team Breakthrough green.oracle's Avatar
    I can only echo all the sentiments expressed.

Defo the first thread I looked for each day to take yet another nostalgic trip down memory lane.

Strangely? I can remember games back in my childhood more than most recent ones with the obvious exceptions!!!!

Thanks again Billy for doing this.

I look forward to enjoying your next project (obviously you cant retire now).

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Willie Harper hesitated Cassidy nipped in for a headed goal in front of 80000 at Hampden

I went to see last Saturday
    The Battle of the Greens
    On the world renowned enclosure
    Thats the glory of the Queens
    There was very little in it
    It was quite an even fight
    Till a head gave the victory
    To the Celtic green and white

So here’s three cheers for Celtic
    And three more for the HIBS
    They couldn’t share the trophy
    But they shared the glittering dibs
    The Cup is on the sideboard
    Of the Glasgow club which means
    That the losers were the greener
    In the battle of the greens

Source: The Making of Hibernian The Romantic Years
    Alan Lugton

Another year of pain
    Thanks for all your kind comments guys but the real praise should go to John Campbell,John R Mackay, Ian Colquhoun and Alan Lugton RIP ( see above ) and all the other great authors who have all recorded our great history for posterity as a labour of love

I started the thread for the duration of the pandemic not expecting it to last for over one year

As a fan recording each day I did not know what the next day would bring so I found it exciting not realising I had attended most of the games I also found that I could usually end each day on a happy and optimistic note

We should all be proud of the history of our great club through good times and bad

Please feel free to continue to add to this thread

The story continues ....

GGTTH
    Last edited by BILLYHIBS; 01-04-2021 at 09:39 PM.

Thanks for all your kind comments guys but the real praise should go to John Campbell,John R Mackay, Ian Colquhoun and Alan Lugton RIP ( see above ) and all the other great authors who have all recorded our great history for posterity as a labour of love

I started the thread for the duration of the pandemic not expecting it to last for over one year

As a fan recording each day I did not know what the next day would bring so I found it exciting not realising I had attended most of the games I also found that I could usually end each day on a happy and optimistic note

We should all be proud of the history of our great club through good times and bad

The story continues ....

GGTTH

The story continues ....

GGTTH
    Thanks for your kind words , Billy and thanks for referencing my books along the way ✅
    This is how it feels

Scottish Championship 2/4/2016

St Mirren 2 v 2 Hibernian

Cummings 27
    El Alagui. 89

Cummings opened the scoring latching onto McGinns threaded pass to place his effort underneath Jamie Langfield Rocco Quinn equalised for Saints and Lawrence Shankland gave them the lead on 57 minutes El Alagui came off the bench and slotted home a Stokes pass in the penultimate minute

This ended a run of four straight defeats by HIBS in the Scottish Championship

Hibs: Oxley Gray Hanlon McGregor Stevenson Bartley McGinn Henderson Boyle Cummings and Stokes

Subs: Dagnall on for Boyle 61 El Alagui on for Bartley 76

Unused: Virtanen Handling Gunnarson and Callum Donaldson
    Att: 3765

Scottish League Premier Division 2/4/1985

Hearts 2 v 2 Hibernian

I attended this game it was a Tuesday night game back in the day and HIBS were struggling near the foot of the table Hearts had built a well deserved lead to lead comfortably 2-0 and my mates had decided to call it a night and would see me back at the pub They would not believe me when I told them that Super Joe had come off the bench and curled home two worldy free kicks into Henry Smiths postage stamp to earn the Hibees a valuable point This was of course in the days before internet moblie phones and blanket football coverage

Hibs: Rough Sneddon Schaedler Munro Rae Brazil Callachan Kane Irvine Rice and Jamieson

Subs: McBride and Harris

Att:17814

Super Joe McBride in action not this game

https://youtu.be/75CBCuKOtp0
    2/4/2005 Scottish League SPL

Hibernian 3 v 2 Dundee United

Shiels 35
    O’Connor 69
    Smith 90

A last minute goal from defender Gary Smith gave 10 man HIBS victory over bottom club Dundee United

In this dress rehearsal for the Scottish Cup Semi Final Dean Shiels blasted HIBS ahead from 10 yards on 35 minutes but Jim McIntyre headed United level from a corner in the 63rd minute

Garry O’Connor put HIBS ahead again on 69 minutes from a tight angle

United substitute Jason Scotland so often a pest against HIBS in the past equalised when he brushed aside the challenge from Gary Caldwell and side footed home from close range

Ian Murray was then sent off in mysterious circumstances when the Referee John Underhill was called over by one of his assistants with seven minutes to go

In a grand finale both teams went for it but HIBS proved to be the winners when Gary Smith headed home from four yards in the last minute following a late stramash in the United box

The result left the Arabs two points adrift at the bottom of the League

Hibs Brown Smith Caldwell Murray Murphy Fletcher Brown Glass Shiels O’Connor and Riordan

Subs Morrow Thomson

Att 11068

2/4/1983 Scottish League Premier Division

Hibernian 8 (EIGHT) v 1 Kilmarnock

Duncan
    Thomson 2
    Irvine 2
    Rae
    McNamara
    McCurdy

http://www.mekeke.co.uk/FAB/82_83/Killie.htm

Following on from their fine 3-3 draw at Tannadice HIBS unexpectedly scored eight goals against relegation haunted Kilmarnock. Hibs’ first such win since Ayr United 1972 and the perfect viewing for a HIBS Kids Day

On a typically cold spring day HIBS took the lead when Arthur Duncan slotted home from close range with his wrong foot from a Graeme Harvey cut-back after 10 minutes

Two minutes later an uncharacteristic mistake from the legend that is Jackie McNamara handed the equaliser to Gallacher of Kilmarnock

McNamara made up for his error by setting off on a mazy run from defence and ended up being upended in the box Bobby Thomson doing the honours from the spot

Hibs continued to dominate but did not score a third until 49 minutes when Thomson headed home a Ralph Callachan cross

Willie Irvine #1 scored the fourth when he hit home a Sneddon cross

The centre backs got into the act when Gordon Rae rifled home a typical 35 yard screamer and Jackie Mac finally made amends hammering in a short free kick from distance

With five minutes to go young substitute Pat McCurdy made it seven after previously fluffing his lines when he hit the post

The fans were singing Easy Easy when Willie Irvine made it eight with the last kick of the ball

After scoring 11 goals in the last two games HIBS would next play Celtic and in true HIBS style would fail to score

Hibs Rough Sneddon Duncan Turnbull Rae McNamara Callachan Rice Irvine Thomson and Harvey

Sub McCurdy

Att 4000

2/4/1960 Scottish League Division One

Stirling Albion 2 v 3 Hibernian

Baxter 2
    Johnstone

Hibs Muirhead Fraser McClelland Falconer Young Baxter MacLeod Johnstone Baker Gibson and Ormond

Att 5000

2/4/1955 Scottish League Division One

Celtic 1 v 2 Hibernian

Smith 23
    Fraser 69

Charlie Tully 40 equalised for Celtic

Hibs, Celtic, Rangers and Hearts would cut each other’s throats in this season and Aberdeen would step in and win the League for the first time in their history

Hibs Younger Paterson Macfarlane Thomson Plenderleith Preston Smith Combe Fraser Turnbull and Ormond

Att 31000
    Last edited by BILLYHIBS; 02-04-2021 at 03:33 PM.

As someone who has been totally housebound since before the outbreak of covid ,this thread has helped my sanity.

I have friends who have short memory loss ,yet can quote incidents, players,outcomes of games gone past, 60s and 70s

The thread has been great and helpful in a therapeutic way.
    Particularly with the restrictions on daily life this past year and more for many.

Some of the games/years mentioned trigger for me other things that where going on in my life ,good or ill.
    So the value there in jogging memories in us older Hibby's is good for us mentally.
    Well done Billy for your hard work.
    Which i am sure you enjoyed researching and submitting here.

The comments following some of your match reports have added to your reports and certainly educational in many ways for younger fans.
    Even if some do stray off in other areas.

The Club historians you mention deserve praise for their devotion and invaluable contribution to the written history of our club.

...........Thanks for the memories

We stayed at The Holy Ground.
    We recovered the Harp.
    We finally found the Holy Grail ....................and stopped they bad boys stealing it for their first time/
    Last edited by Mick O'Rourke; 02-04-2021 at 08:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Auckland Hibs View Post
    Best thread on .net

Thanks Billy.
    Ditto.
    This is the first thread I come to everyday, it’s brought back some fabulous memories.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

Just updated HIBS 8 (Eight) v 1 Kilmarnock 2/4/1983

38 Years ago today

Do not know how I missed that one out last year

Must be losing it

Best thread that's ever been on here.

SPL 3/4/2011

hibernian 2 v 2 Hearts

Miller 35 pen
    Vaz Te 80

A Liam Miller penalty drew HIBS level after Zakiukas was sent off for a push on Sodje following a Ryan Stevenson opener Ricardo Vaz Te put HIBS into the lead with ten minutes left but Stephen Elliot equalised for ten man hearts in the 83rd minute Two fine saves from MacDonald prevented Riordan and Matt Thornhill from restoring HIBS lead

Hibs : Brown Dickoh Hanlon Booth Towell Thornhill Miller Scott Palsson Riordan and Sodje

Subs: Vaz Te for Jimmy Scott 46 Wotherspoon for Palsson 69 Murray for Miller 82

Unused Smith Stephens Stevenson and Nish

Att: 17793

SPL 3/4/2004

Hibs 3 v 1 Livingston

McManus 38
    Riordan 52 82

Hibs earned some revenge for their CIS Cup defeat and won just their fourth home game of the season
    Tom McManus scored from close range after 38 minutes Derek Lilley equalised early in the second half with a deft chip Riordan regained HIBS advantage prodding home Murdocks flick from a corner and secured the points with a powerful header from a Caldwell cross

Hibs : Andersson Caldwell Murdock Baillie Edge Brown Whittaker Thomson Reid Riordan and McManus

Used Subs O’Connor Orman and James Kane

Unused Alistair Brown and Fletcher

Att: 6507

Other significant results on this day

3/4/2019 Kilmarnock H 0-0

3/4/2018 Hamilton H 3-1

3/4/1999 Hamilton A 2-0

3/4/1982 Airdrieonians A 2-0

3/4/1963 Valencia H 2-1

Birthday wishes to Alan Combe

www.fitbastats.com

3/4/1999 Scottish League Division One

Hamilton Academicals 0 v 2 Hibernian

Latapy 33 51

https://youtu.be/YfCKguT3fAM

Hibs who head been head and shoulders the best team in the League today won promotion back to the Premier League thanks to a masterclass from the Little Magician Russell Latapy

Involved in everything from the kick off Latapy terrorised the Hamilton defence at their temporary home of Partick Thistle’s Firhill

Jinking and weaving his one touch football he set up a chance for Mixu Paatelainen who cannoned his shot off the base of the Accies post

News then filtered through that nearest rivals Falkirk were a goal down

Latapy scored his first in 33 minutes when he ghosted through the Accies defence exchanging a one two with Paatelainen on the edge of the box before sending an unstoppable right footed shot into the goalkeeper’s bottom left hand corner

The second came after 51 minutes Paatelainen released Latapy clear on the right hand side of the box The wee man checked back dipped his shoulder and rifled a left footed shot past Ian MacFarlane

Latapy’s was a virtuoso performance a display way above this League an exhibition of pace control and precision passing

He blotted his copybook however when Stevie Crawford was hauled down inside the box by Neil Oliver and he made a rather lame attempt at grabbing his first hat-trick in Scottish Football from the resultant spot kick

The PA system pleaded with the massed HIBS fans not to invade the pitch at the final whistle and as you know we don’t need to be told twice

The Hibees were back to their rightful place at the top table of Scotland’s football elite and the fans marked the achievement at the final whistle with a stirring rendition of YNWA possibly for the last time

Hibs Gottskalksson Collins Lovering Sauzee Marinkov Dennis Holsgrove Crawford Paatelainen Latapy and Lovell

Subs Hartley Lavety

Att 4350

3/4/1993 Scottish Cup Semi Final

Hibernian 0 v 1 Aberdeen

The HIBS fans took over the area of Tynecastle normally reserved for Hearts fans for this fiercely competitive Scottish Cup Semi Final

Hibs were without Mickey Weir so the front two of Keith Wright and Darren Jackson had to live off scraps the best chance falling to Wright in the first half who tested Theo Snelders who rose to the challenge pulling off a tremendous save

Into the second half and HIBS were undone when Gary Smith fed Paul Kane down the left who played the ball inside the box to Scott Booth who beat Budgie at his near post

HIBS brought on Gareth Evans and roared on by the massed Hibees dominated the remainder of the match but found it impossible to breach the Dons defence in which Alex McLeish was superb and Snelders was inspired pulling off one fantastic save from Evans that appeared to be going into the net through a forest of legs at the death but Snelders who must have been unsighted somehow got a hand to it and turned the ball around the post

Another year of pain

HIBS Burridge Miller Mitchell Hunter Tweed MacLeod Lennon Hamilton Wright Jackson and McGinlay

Subs Evans Orr

Att 21500

3/4/1963 Inter Cities Fairs Cup Quarter Final Leg 2

Hibernian 2 v 1 Valencia (Agg 2-6)

Preston
    Baker

Hibs regained some pride after their 0-5 first leg defeat racing into a 2-0 lead inside the first 24 minutes to give their Spanish opponents a fright

Tommy Preston opened the scoring on 10 minutes from an Eric Stevenson cross Valencia tried to fight back but Joe Davin blocked a Nunes piledriver with his body

In 24 minutes a shock looked on the cards Jimmy O’Rourke fed John Grant and his cross was headed firmly into the net by Gerry Baker

Hibs smelling blood continued to pile forward but lost a soft goal just before the interval when Nunes found himself unmarked in the box and wasted no time in dispatching the hall into the net

HIBS continued to dominate the second half inspired by their two first half strikes the closest they came when Eric Stevenson scored direct from a free-kick but it was disallowed as the Referee had indicated that the award was indirect

A 20 yard drive by Grant had Zamora stretching and in a separate incident Gerry Baker fouled Verdu He promptly offered his hand in apology It was not accepted by the Spaniard and the crowd howled their disapproval

Valencia were current holders of the trophy having defeated Barcelona in the final and would go on to win the trophy in this year

Man of the match Willie Toner

Hibs Simpson Cameron Davin Grant Toner Leishman O’Rourke M Stevenson G Baker Preston and Stevenson

Att 4000
    Last edited by BILLYHIBS; 03-04-2021 at 06:11 PM.

Great to see this continuing, thanks.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

Quote Originally Posted by Eyrie View Post
    Great to see this continuing, thanks.
    Surprised I missed these games first time

Will revisit every day and tidy up

GGTTH

@hibs.net private member
    Surprised I missed these games first time

Will revisit every day and tidy up

GGTTH
    Thanks Billy. Love the thread. Is it really 22 years since we got promoted at Firhill?

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Just updated HIBS 8 (Eight) v 1 Kilmarnock 2/4/1983

38 Years ago today

Do not know how I missed that one out last year

Must be losing it
    The main thing I remember about that match is Jackie McNamara getting the ball stuck under his feet when he was last man and gifting them their goal. Just as uncharacteristically he then scored a 30yd screamer to make up for it.

European Cup Semi First Leg 4/4/1956

Reims 2 v 0 Hibernian

Hibs were through to the semi final and met the French club Reims in the Parc Des Princes on April 4 1956 More than 36000 spectators paid £15000 to see the tie

Hibs chased the first goal with adventurous spirit and their eagerness to strike cost them the tie Leblond headed the Frenchmen in front in the last half hour and almost on the whistle Bliard added another

Reims had a fabulous forward in Kopa who moved later to Real Madrid and a superb Centre Half in Jonquet These two fashioned the victory and the late goal was a stunning blow to HIBS

https://youtu.be/Gx1R64daxxU

HIBS: Younger Macfarlane Paterson Buchanan Grant and Thomson Smith Turnbull Reilly Combe and Ormond

Such was the interest in the European Cup that the return match attracted a gate of 50000 which turned out to be the highest in the competition

Hibs gave the same team a chance to pull back the two goals and they did everything except score Lawrie Reilly hit the post and Eddie Turnbull had a shot cleared off the line A masterly run by Kopa enabled Glovacki to make it 3-0 on aggregate so Reims ability to soak up pressure and counter attack skilfully took them through

Scottish First Division Old 4/4/1970

Hibernian 3 v 1 Dundee Utd

McBride 2
    Grant

Morris Stevenson opened the scoring for the visitors after 4 minutes Johnny Graham then got pulled down inside the box by Jim Henry and Joe McBride converted the penalty on 23 minutes Second half substitute Colin Grant gave HIBS the lead on 60 minutes and flying winger Eric Stevenson got pulled down inside the box on 75 minutes and Joe McBride converted the penalty

Hibs: Marshall Shevlane Jones Blackley Black Stanton Graham Hamilton McBride ORourke and Stevenson

Sub: Grant for Blackley 46

Att: 5051

Honourable mention to the late great Joe McBride I thought he was a fantastic player for HIBS and a prolific goal scorer scoring 24:28 in his first season and returning 58: 91 in all games

100 Years Of HIBS
    www.fitbastats.com
    4/4/2009 Scottish League SPL

Dundee United 2 v 2 Hibernian

Nish 6 10

Hibs blew a glorious opportunity to defeat Craig Levein’s Dundee United at Tannadice

Colin Nish opened the scoring in 6 minutes when he fired in a 30 yard screamer into Lakasz Zaluska’s top corner

He added a second minutes later when Prince Bauben was woefully short with a defensive header back to his goalkeeper

Hibs should have been out of sight in the first twenty minutes Nish had a volley saved by the United keeper and followed that up by totally miscuing a free header in front of goal when set up by Steven Fletcher sending the ball wide of the target Fletcher then missed an easy chance when set up by Nish

United were handed a lifeline when Chris Hogg was deemed to have fouled Feeney in the box but former United favourite Gregorz Szamotulski sprung cat-like to turn away Craig Conway’s penalty kick for a corner

Into the second half and Fletcher who had scored his first Scotland goal on Wednesday night against Iceland forced Zaluska into a brilliant save before United pulled one back when Gary Kenneth headed home a Paul Dixon cross

United continued to put a creaking HIBS defence under pressure and just when it looked as though HIBS had weathered the storm United got their reward when substitute David Goodwillie stabbed the ball over the line in the last minute following a late stramash in the box

Hibs Szamotulski Bamba Hogg Jones Stevenson Rankin Rosa O’Brien Fletcher Riordan and Nish

Subs Van Zanten Murray

Att 6600

4/4/2007 Scottish League SPL

St Mirren 1 v 1 Hibernian

Rob Jones

Hibs McNeil McCann Murphy Martis Jones Stewart Zemmama Brown Sproule Sowumni and Chisholm

Subs Benji Boozy Stevenson

Att 4000

4/4/1964 Scottish League Division One

Hibernian 2 v 1 Airdrieonians

Scott
    Martin

Jock Stein’s first game in charge of HIBS and a successful debut as the goals came from Jim Scott and Neil Martin

The attendance was 7000 2000 higher than the previous home game against St Mirren

Hibs Wilson Fraser McClelland Stanton Leishman Baxter Scott Cormack Martin Hamilton and Grant

4/4/1962 Scottish League Division One

Hibernian 2 v 1 St Mirren

Brian Marjoribanks 2

After making a goal scoring debut against Hearts at Tynecastle Brian Marjoribanks continued his fine scoring form

He would later line up for Hearts and as a BBC Sports correspondent

Hibs Simpson Grant McClelland Preston Easton MacLeod Scott Baker Marjoribanks Fraser and Stevenson

Att 1500

Birthdays

Lawrie Tierney
    Last edited by BILLYHIBS; 04-04-2021 at 09:39 AM.

Scottish League Cup Final 5/4/1969

Hibernian 2 v 6 Celtic

ORourke
    Stevenson

Oh dear another Cup Final and a crushing defeat from Celtic in what would be the first of three heavy defeats over the next decade

Let us rewind six months to a packed Tynecastle Stadium where HIBS faced a decent Dundee side in the League Cup Semi Final

Hibs had got to the semi final after beating East Fife 6-2 on aggregate in the Quarter Final after topping a group containing Raith Rovers St Johnstone and Falkirk

Hibs warmed up for the semi final with a crushing 5-1 home win over Airdrieonians so went into the tie in confident mood

The game kicked off at 100 mph with George McLean giving Dundee the lead and Colin Stein equalising thirty seconds later The game carried on at pace with Dundee having the better of the chances

With fifteen minutes left Alan McGraw got carried off on a stretcher with what appeared to be a serious leg injury and HIBS found themselves down to ten men as they had previously made their one substitution as they had replaced Quinn for ORourke

A great cheer went up from the Hibs support as minutes later Alan McGraw reappeared with his leg heavily bandaged brought on as purely nuisance value hobbling out on the wing

In the dying minutes as the clock ticked down McGraw managed to deflect an Eric Stevenson corner at the Gorgie Road end off his bandaged knee past a despairing Ally Donaldson and into the net to send the Hibernian horde behind his goal wild with delight

Minutes later the referee blew the final whistle and Alan McGraw was carried shoulder high from the field of play by his team mates as the Hibees knew they were on their way to Hampden

Eric Stevenson told the story in his book “HIBS through and through” that they were on £50 a man to reach the final and after the match he was walking along Princes Street with Goalkeeper Willie Wilson and in true western style they walked into a pub and Willie announced to all those present “ The drinks are on me”

The Final at Hampden due to be played at the end of October versus Celtic was delayed due to a fire in the South Stand at Hampden and was put back to the 5th April 1969

The final itself from a HIBS point of view was a damp squib Celtic were in irresistible form as they raced into an unassailable six goal lead with Lennox 3 Craig Auld and Wallace all scoring HIBS put a more respectable shine on things with late goals from a quickly taken ORourke free kick and a near post Stevenson header

Top scorer Colin Stein had long since departed for Ibrox and new top scorer Joe McBride was ineligible to play

Peter Cormack in his book “ From the cowshed to the kop” said that he was forced to play centre forward in this game and Billy McNeill could not have enjoyed an easier ninety minutes as the ball never once landed at his feet and McNeill won everything in the air

HIBS : Allan Shevlane Davis Stanton Madsen Blackley Marinello Quinn Cormack ORourke and Stevenson

Unused sub: Hunter

Att: 74253

https://youtu.be/wx2ePQycYtM

Other results on this day

5/4/2016 Championship Livingston H 2-1

5/4/2008 SPL St Mirren H 2-0

5/4/2003 SPL Kilmarnock H 2-1

5/4/1997 SPL Dundee United H 2-1
    5/4/2016 Scottish League Championship

Hibernian 2 v 1 Livingston

Stokes 75
    Boyle 78

https://youtu.be/fhEOHr3mlQE

Hibs who hadn’t won in five chased second placed Falkirk who were eight points ahead but HIBS had three games in hand

Livi took a first half lead through Jordan White who sent a volley over Mark Oxley and into the net

The Livingston goal led a charmed life but HIBS eventually made the breakthrough in the 75th minute when Anthony Stokes turned smartly in the box and sent a low drive past McCallum’s despairing dive

Substitute Martin Boyle sealed the points when a cross was cleared to him 35 yards out and the Starman sent a rocket past McCallum ( see above)

HIBS Oxley Gray McGregor Hanlon Stevenson Thomson McGinn Henderson Stokes Cummings and El Alagui

Subs Keatings Boyle and Gunnarsson

Att 7300

5/4/2008 Scottish League SPL

Hibernian 2 v 0 St Mirren

Nish 4
    Zemmama 5

https://youtu.be/gxyrG3DzCA0

Some strike by Zemmama

Hibs McNeil Gathuessi Zarabi Canning Hogg Shiels Murray Zemmama Rankin Nish and Fletcher

Subs Chisholm Stevenson and Donaldson

Att 13200

5/4/2006 Scottish League SPL

Hibernian 2 v 1 Kilmarnock

Riordan 80
    Dalglish 87

Injury hit HIBS came from a goal down to bag the points and move back into fourth place in this midweek fixture

Kilmarnock took the lead on 19 minutes when Colin Nish cleverly held off the HIBS defence to set up the opener for Gary Wales

Derek Riordan equalised with ten minutes to go following a mistake by Lindsay Wilson

Super Sub Paul Dalglish came off the bench to fire home an impressive winner sending a powerful shot high into the roof of the net

Hibs Zibi Shields Caldwell Hogg Murphy Whittaker Konde Thomson Fletcher Riordan and Benji

Subs Konte Dalglish and Lynch

Att 10500

5/4/1997 Scottish League Premier Division

Hibernian 2 v 0 Dundee United

Charnley pen 73
    McGinlay 78

Hibs would finish ninth in this season and would hang on to their Premier Division status by winning a highly toxic two legged play off against Airdrieonians

Hibs Leighton Miller McQuilken Dods McLaughlin C Jackson Tosh Charnley Power Lavety and McGinlay

Subs K Wright Grant and Elliot

Att 10951

5/4/1986 Scottish Cup Semi Final

Hibernian 0 v 3 Aberdeen

HIBS dominated this game for the first 10 minutes at sunny Dens Park

John Collins struck the woodwork IIRC

After that the Dons stepped up a gear with their goals coming from Stark, Black and Joe Miller thanks to John Hewitt assists

Hearts were playing Dundee United in the other Semi at Hampden

The Dons went on to defeat Hearts in the final by the same scoreline one week after they had blown the League at the same venue

Another year of pain

Hibs Rough Sneddon Munro May Fulton Rae Tortolano Chisholm Cowan Durie and Collins

Subs Harris McBride

Att 19165

5/4/1975 Scottish League Division One

Ayr United 2 v 2 Hibernian

Duncan
    Brownlie pen

On a fiery pitch Arthur Duncan gave HIBS the lead Goals by Davie McCulloch and Gerry Phillips gave Ayr the lead but John Brownlie’s first penalty for the club squared the game

Hibs McArthur Brownlie Schaedler Bremner Barry Stanton Smith Higgins Harper Munro and Duncan

Att 5000

5/4/1971 Scottish Cup Semi Final Replay

Hibernian 1 v 2 Rangers

O’Rourke

Rangers get revenge for Dave Ewing calling them “ Rubbish “

I recall Willie Henderson saying he scored the winner with the foot he normally uses for standing on

I also remember Johnny Graham missing a good chance to give HIBS the lead from a Cropley cutback shortly before they scored the winner

Another year of pain

HIBS Marshall Brownlie Jones Blackley Stanton Pringle Graham O’Rourke Baker Cropley and Stevenson

Att 54435

5/4/1958 Scottish Cup Semi Final

Hibernian 2 v 2 Rangers

Aitken
    Preston

Hibs Leslie Grant McClelland Turnbull Paterson Baxter Fraser Aitken Baker Preston and Ormond

Att 76727

Birthdays

Davie Nicholls

www.fitbastats.com
    Last edited by BILLYHIBS; 06-04-2021 at 12:46 PM.

Scottish Premiership 6/4/2019

Hearts 1 v 2 HIBS

Horgan 2

Hibs had not beaten Hearts in ten attempts

Hearts dominated the early exchanges with Olly Lees free kick hitting the post before he crossed for Peter Haring to head home the opener on 25 minutes from a corner

Daryl Horgan equalised when he slid home a low cross following good work from Marc McNulty on the left despite Hearts claims that the HIBS centre forward was initially in an offside position

In the 56 th minute HIBS took the lead following a wonderful move full of fast intricate accurate pacy passing between Horgan Mallan and Kamberi which ended up with Horgan dispatching a low left foot drive into the bottom right hand corner of Bobby Zlamals net cue wild scenes in the School End

His goals apart Daryl Horgan was outstanding all day

McNulty should have made it three two minutes later with a header and brought out a great save from Zlamal in the dying minutes

The match will be remembered for the smoke bombs and the coconut on the pitch but the highlight for me was Darren MacGregors tackle on Peter Haring

This was HIBS first win at Tiny since 2013 and saw them jump above Hearts to finish in fifth place pre split but sadly that was to be their last win of the season

Hibs : Rocky Gray MacGregor Hanlon Stevenson Milligan Horgan Mallon Omeonga Kamberi and McNulty

Subs Bartley for Kamberi 73 Spector for Gray 77 and Slivka for Horgan 88

Unused Bogdan Murray Mackie and Allan

Att: 19667

https://youtu.be/nHeE4BcykHg

Scottish League Premier Division 6/4/1985

Dumbarton 0 v 2 HIBS

Irvine
    Rice

Following on from the superb display at Tynecastle in midweek where two late goals from Joe McBride rescued an unexpected but welcome point HIBS still found themselves locked perilously close to the foot of the division and faced a tricky and nervy away fixture at fellow strugglers Dumbarton

Such was the sense of urgency felt by the HIBS Board to turn around this situation that they put on buses for the large travelling support @ fifty pence per head

I actually attended this game hard to believe it was 35 years ago I can still feel the tension and nervousness in the air there was a huge HIBS support and Old Boghead Park was a dump of a ground with a pitch to match like a bog that had gone hard and bumpy

Looking at our team you wondered why we were at the bottom of the league?

Second half goals from Irvine and Rice would ease the Hibee nerves but they were not out of the woods yet back in the days of the old top ten the bottom two teams went down

A home draw to Dundee United 1-1 followed by an inexplicable 0-4 reverse at home to St Mirren a 2-1 away win at Morton followed up by a last day 1-0 win over Rangers scorer Paul Kane ensured that HIBS finished in eighth place eight points clear of the relegated Dumbarton with Morton picking up the wooden spoon

Hibs Rough Sneddon Munro Kane Rae and Brazil Callachan Durie Irvine Rice and McBride

Sub Jamieson

Att 5084

Birthdays on this day

Danny Lennon

Mark Venus

Joe Tortolano

Andy Walker

Erich Schaedler RIP

www.fitbastats.com

6/4/1993 Scottish League Premier Division

Hibernian 2 v 2 St Johnstone

Wright
    Evans

After losing the Scottish Cup Semi Final to Aberdeen 0-1 at Tiny in the midweek only 3500 fans bothered to turn up

St Johnstone raced into a 2-0 half time lead thanks to goals from Alan Moore and Martin Buglione

Hibs replied in the second half with goals from Keith Wright and Gareth Evans

Darren Jackson missed a last minute penalty

Hibs Burridge Miller Mitchell Hunter Tweed MacLeod Tortolano Hamilton Wright Jackson and McGinlay

Subs Lennon Evans

6/4/1957 Scottish League Division One

Hibernian 6 v 0 Airdrieonians

Smith 2
    Nicol
    Turnbull
    McWilliams
    Aitken

This match was played on a Saturday night with a 7.30pm kick off under floodlights to allow fans to listen to England v Scotland on the wireless during the day live from Wembley

Hibs were without Lawrie Reilly who was playing for Scotland

Reilly would pick up a knee injury in a 1-2 loss that would rule him out of the World Cup Squad

Tommy Ring gave Scotland the lead Derek Kevan (WBA) equalised and Duncan Edwards scored the winner

This would be Lawrie Reilly’s last game for Scotland after scoring 22 goals in 38 appearances

Hibs Leslie Muir Paterson Nicol Plenderleith Preston Smith Turnbull McWilliams Harrower and Aitken

Att 8000

The HIBS Are Here Ian Colquhoun

www.fitbastats.com
    Last edited by BILLYHIBS; 06-04-2021 at 10:21 AM.

Scottish Premiership 6/4/2019

Hearts 1 v 2 HIBS

Horgan 2

Hibs had not beaten Hearts in ten attempts

Hibs beat Hearts 2-0 on March 2nd 2018.

I'm sure we didn't play them 10 times in between those two games

Last edited by Keith_M; 06-04-2021 at 08:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith_M View Post
    Hibs beat Hearts 2-0 on March 2nd 2018.

I'm sure we didn't play them 10 times in between those two games

Yip but no wins in ten at Tiny though

Good to see you are still checking out the thread

@hibs.net private member MartinfaePorty's Avatar
    Still loving the updates. Bit late, but pretty sure the 1986 semi-final at Dens was about 1 month BEFORE Hearts blew the League there. Remember the huge cheer that went up when Durie came out to warm up, as everyone thought he'd be out injured, only for him to have a pretty poor game.

Quote Originally Posted by MartinfaePorty View Post
    Still loving the updates. Bit late, but pretty sure the 1986 semi-final at Dens was about 1 month BEFORE Hearts blew the League there. Remember the huge cheer that went up when Durie came out to warm up, as everyone thought he'd be out injured, only for him to have a pretty poor game.
    Was about to post similar. I was at the game and Durie clearly wasn't fit and shouldn't have played. A mate, who did have good sources, told me years later that both John Blackley and Alex Ferguson were sitting in the stand communicating with their benches by radio, but that the Hibs bench was picking up the signal from Ferguson's radio. This might explain why we started so well but fell away after the technology was sorted

Amended

All contributions gratefully accepted

Would have been an even bigger cheer if Collins cannonball shot had went in rather than hit the bar.

Yip but no wins in ten at Tiny though

Good to see you are still checking out the thread

Always, Billy

Scottish League Division Two 7/4/1894

HIBS 6 v 0 Glasgow Northern

HIBS won comfortably in a league match at Easter Road on their way to winning the first ever Scottish League Division Two Championship

Hibernian were now back as a force in Scottish Football after being almost down and out a couple of years before

There was a catch however because there was no automatic promotion to Division One this was decided on a voting system and also the bottom three clubs had to apply for reelection

The Scottish League in their wisdom decided to vote Clyde into the first division who did not even finish runners up but were a Glasgow club

Generally the press had supported Hibernian but some showed anti Edinburgh and anti Catholic bias one stating “ they were not the type of club wanted in the first division”

There was a strong suspicion that Celtic and Hearts had voted against HIBS in their application for election

HIBS would just have to persevere and win the Second Division again in 1895 which they did and succeeded in going up

In their last game of the season on the 31st May 1894 at Powderhall they took some measure of revenge against First Division Hearts in the final of the Rosebery Cup by defeating them 4-2

The team that day was the same team that had played for most of the season Donnelly Rooney McFarlane Breslin McGeachan and Murphy Murray Kennedy Martin Smith and Amos

The Rosebery Cup is currently on display at Easter Road after Hibernian were the most recent winners in 1945

Scottish Cup Semi Final 7/4/1995
    Ibrox Park

HIBS 0 v 0 Celtic

Jim Leighton saved a disputed penalty after Andy Walker took a dive in the box

HIBS lost the replay 1-3 on 11/4/1995 Keith Wright scoring for HIBS

Another year of pain

HIBS : Leighton Miller Mitchell McGinlay Tweed Millen Harper Farrell Wright Jackson and ONeill

Att 40950

Hibs actually finished third this season behind Champions Rangers and Motherwell and two points ahead of fourth placed Celtic

Birthdays on this day

Scott Robertson

The Making of Hibernian The Brave Years
    Alan Lugton

www.fitbastats.com

7/4/2018 Scottish League Premiership

Ross County 1 v 1 Hibernian

Shaw 90

Olly Shaw comes off the bench to rescue a point sending a right footed shot from the centre of the box low into the goalkeeper’s bottom left hand corner after Billy McKay had given the Staggies a 28th minute lead

Darren McGregor almost won it for HIBS with a late header from a corner that went just wide

HIBS Rocky Hanlon McGregor Ambrose McGinn McGeouch Stevenson Boyle MacLaren Kamberi and Allan

Subs Whittaker Swanson Shaw

Att 5389

7/4/1984 Scottish League Premier Division

Hibernian 1 v 0 Dundee United

Jamieson 11

Hibs defeat European Cup Semi Finalists Dundee United after Willie Jamieson scored the only goal of the game when put clean through on goal by a precision pass from Brian Rice

Try as they might the Tangerine Terrors could not find a way past Alan Rough

Days later United would defeat AS Roma 2-0 at Tannadice and go on to lose 0-3 in a highly controversial second leg

Hibs Rough Brazil Schaedler Sneddon Rae Blackley Callachan Jamieson Irvine Rice and Duncan

Subs Turnbull for Rice McGachie for Duncan

Att 4266

7/4/1956 Scottish League Division One

Ormond 42 54

Hibs Younger Macfarlane Paterson Buchanan Grant Combe Smith Turnbull Reilly Thomson and Ormond

Att 10000
    Last edited by BILLYHIBS; 07-04-2021 at 09:53 AM.

7/4/2018 Scottish League Premiership

Ross County 1 v 1 Hibernian

Shaw 90

Olly Shaw comes off the bench to rescue a point sending a right footed shot from the centre of the box low into the goalkeeper’s bottom left hand corner after Billy McKay had given the Staggies a 28th minute lead

Darren McGregor almost won it for HIBS with a late header from a corner that went just wide

HIBS Rocky Hanlon McGregor Ambrose McGinn McGeouch Stevenson Boyle MacLaren Kamberi and Allan

Subs Whittaker Swanson Shaw

Att 5389

7/4/1984 Scottish League Premier Division

Hibernian 1 v 0 Dundee United

Jamieson 11

Hibs defeat European Cup Semi Finalists Dundee United after Willie Jamieson scored the only goal of the game when put clean through on goal by a precision pass from Brian Rice

Try as they might the Tangerine Terrors could not find a way past Alan Rough

Days later United would defeat AS Roma 2-0 at Tannadice and go on to lose 0-3 in a highly controversial second leg

Hibs Rough Brazil Schaedler Sneddon Rae Blackley Callachan Jamieson Irvine Rice and Duncan

Subs Turnbull for Rice McGachie for Duncan

Att 4266

7/4/1956 Scottish League Division One

Ormond 42 54

Hibs Younger Macfarlane Paterson Buchanan Grant Combe Smith Turnbull Reilly Thomson and Ormond

Att 10000
    Dundee United were some team at that time. Would have been some European Cup Final against Liverpool. Bribery was rife in the 70s and 80s.

Scottish League Division One (Old) 8/4/1972

Hibernian 7 v 1 St Johnstone

Stanton
    Edwards
    ORourke
    Baker
    Gordon 2
    Duncan

There was something happening down Easter Road way the Tornadoes were starting to take shape but still not quite as we know it

Hibernian blew St Johnstone away with a scintillating display of fast attacking football goals from Stanton Edwards ORourke Baker Gordon 2 and Duncan in a totally brilliant display

Alex Rennie scored a consolation goal for St Johnstone in what was HIBS biggest win since they beat Partick Thistle 7-0 in September 1966

Hibs: Herriot Brownlie and Schaedler McEwan Blackley and Stanton Edwards ORourke Baker Cropley and Duncan

Att: 6358

Sadly this was to be the Baker Boys last goal for HIBS

I actually attended his last game for HIBS a Scottish Cup Semi Final versus Rangers in front of a crowd of 76174 on a hot sunny Saturday afternoon at Hampden one week after the St Johnstone game

Hibs started nervously and found themselves down to an Alex MacDonald goal but second half HIBS rallied Peter McCloy parried a Baker shot into the path of ORourke who had no hesitation in burying the ball into the back of the net to silence the large Rangers support

The replay took place two weeks later and HIBS blew Rangers away with a display of fast attacking football Stanton opening the scoring after 12 minutes and Alex Edwards completed the scoring after dispatching a Hazel knockdown into the net

It was a superb display from HIBS and Rangers could not compete with the accuracy and speed of the Hibernian passing in a game HIBS totally dominated from start to finish Ole! Ole!

I do not think any of the Supporters Buses returned to Edinburgh with their windows in tact

Both of these games made a young Billyhibs realise what a horrible and despicable club Rangers really were and they certainly did not like it up em!

Joe Baker was an unused sub

Other significant games on this day

8/4/2015 Championship Dumbarton A 2-1

8/4/1963 First Division Old Dundee A 3-1

Birthdays on this day

Big Dave

Gordon Chisholm

www.fitbastats.com
    8/4/2017 Scottish League Championship

Morton 1 v 1 Hibernian

Cummings 34

2000 Hibees travelled through to watch HIBS move to within one game of the Championship title

Lawrence Shankland equalised for Morton with a 66th minute penalty

Hibs Rocky Gray Stevenson McGregor Ambrose Bartley McGinn McGeouch Boyle Graham and Cummings

Subs Holt Harris and Shinnie

Att 4300

8/4/2015 Scottish League Championship

Dumbarton 1 v 2 Hibernian

Hanlon 42
    Cummings 66

Hibs were awarded a penalty when Chris Turner fouled Liam Craig inside the box but Danny Rogers was able to tip Farid El Alagui’s attempt onto the post and away to safety

Paul Hanlon did give HIBS the lead however with a header from a Scott Allan corner just before half-time

Dumbarton equalised on 55 minutes when Mark Oxley could only parry Scott Taggart’s shot and Mitch Megginson hammered home the rebound

Turner was then sent off for violent conduct for a crunching tackle on Jordan Forster and Jase made the ‘Sons’ pay with a confident finish inside the box minutes later

King Dom came off the bench and struck the post in the last minute

HIBS moved up to second place in the League as a result of this win

Hibs Oxley Hanlon Fontaine Forster Robertson Craig Stevenson Boyle Allan El Alagui and Cummings

Subs Fyvie and Malonga

Att 1110

8/4/1963 Scottish League Division One

Dundee 1 v 3 Hibernian

G Baker 3

Hibs gain revenge for being knocked out of the Scottish Cup by the League champions at the same venue

Andy Penman scored for Dundee

Hibs Simpson Cameron McClelland Grant Toner Leishman O’Rourke Falconer Baker Preston and Stevenson

Att 9400

8/4/1950 Scottish League Division One

Hibernian 6 v 3 Clyde

Johnstone
    Smith
    Turnbull
    Reilly
    Ormond 2

The players walked out onto the pitch to a slight drizzle that made the surface greasy, slippy and difficult for defenders

Bobby Johnstone gave HIBS the lead but Clyde were then awarded a penalty that their South African centre forward Ackerman blazed high over Tommy Younger’s crossbar The relief was short lived however as the centre made amends by firing home a 25 yarder that beat Younger all ends up

With nerves jangling on the terraces Gordon Smith took control scoring himself and setting up Eddie Turnbull for a third

Early in the second half Lawrie Reilly sped away from his marker to score a fourth before Barclay pulled one back for the ‘Bully Wee’

A late double from Willie Ormond and a second from Barclay gave HIBS a 6-3 win

This would be the only game in which all five members of the Famous Five would score

Rangers would win the title on goal average

HIBS Younger Howie Cairns Combe Paterson Ogilvie Smith Johnstone Reilly Turnbull and Ormond

Att 20000

8/4/1944 Scottish Southern League Cup Section 3

Hibernian 6 v 3 Morton

Smith
    Nelson 3
    Caskie
    Kean

Gordon Smith scored the opener in 15 seconds thanks to an assist from Jimmy Nelson who would go on to score a hat-trick in this game The other goals would come from guest player Jimmy Caskie and Sammy Kean

Hibs would win the Scottish Southern League Cup in this season defeating Rangers 6-5 on corners after the match finished 0-0 at Hampden Park in front of a crowd of 63000 in the Final

Hibs Kerr Fraser Hall Finnigan Baxter Kean Smith Devlin Nelson Woodburn and Caskie

Birthdays:

Dillon Barnes

At Easter Road They Play John Campbell

www.fitbastats.com
    Last edited by BILLYHIBS; 08-04-2021 at 10:40 AM.

They defeated Rangers on corners?

I thought only our primary school games were decided that way. I didn't realise it was ever a thing in real football.