Page 57 of 93 FirstFirst ... 747555657585967 ... LastLast
Results 1,681 to 1,710 of 2779
    @hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    4/3/2017 Scottish Cup Quarter Final

Hibernian 3 v 1 Ayr United

McGinn 7
    Cummings pen 12
    Keatings 79

Scottish Cup holders Hibernian ease past 10 man Ayr United to reach the semifinals

Aberdeen loanee Scott McKenna was sent off for a tackle on John McGinn 45

Rising Ayr United star Craig McGuffie scored a superb goal for Ayr United 33

Some good goals in this clip and a horror challenge by Scott McKenna on SJM

https://youtu.be/f1UZOkoO1Kc

Hibs Rocky Gray Stevenson Ambrose Forster Boyle Bartley McGinn Shinnie Holt and Cummings

Sub Keatings Fyvie Graham

Att 13600

4/3/2009 Scottish League SPL

Hamilton Academicals 0 v 1 Hibernian

Fletcher 80

4/3/2006 Scottish League SPL

Hibernian 3 v 1 Dundee United

Riordan 6
    Archibald og 25
    Killen 33

Hibs started brightly against Craig Brewster’s United side that contained Grant Brebner

HIBS took the lead when Kevin Thomson found Derek Riordan lurking on the edge of the penalty area who cut inside and dispatched a low drive into the goalkeeper’s bottom left hand corner

United almost equalised when Grant Brebner spotted Simon Brown off his line but his effort from 30 yards clipped the top of the crossbar on it’s way over

HIBS increased their lead in 25 minutes when Chris Killen found Riordan out on the left ran into the box for the expected cross and Alan Archibald in trying to clear the danger only succeeded in heading the ball not over the crossbar but into the roof of his own net

Chris Killen did get his reward however in 33 minutes when picking up a long ball from Riordan he found himself through on goal with only Gary Kenneth in the way between him and goal He turned him inside out a couple of times before sending a shot across the diving Craig Samson and in at the far post

Substitute David Goodwillie scored a late consolation for United in the 89th minute to become the SPL’s youngest ever goalscorer

Hibs Brown Whittaker Murphy Smith Caldwell Glass Dalglish Stewart Thomson Killen and Riordan

Subs Sproule Konde Fletcher

Att 16266

4/3/2001 Scottish League SPL

Hibernian 1 v 1 Motherwell

Latapy

Greg Strong thought he had won it for the Steelmen with a goal nine minutes from time but Russell Latapy popped up in the right place at the right time to fire a loose ball from a corner into the roof of the net

4/3/1995 Scottish League Premier Division

Hibernian 1 v 1 Rangers

K Wright

4/3/1978 Scottish Cup Round 4

Hibernian 0 v 0 Partick Thistle

Bertie Auld’s Partick Thistle were renowned for their Catenaccio defensive style of football and this time it was highly successful as they repelled wave after wave of Hibernian attacks

The replay would be on Monday

Another year of pain

4/3/1972 Scottish League Division One

Hibernian 1 v 0 Clyde

Gordon 87

The Tornadoes were still awaiting the arrival of the two missing pieces of the jigsaw Edwards ( suspension) Cropley ( broken ankle)

Hibs Herriot Brownlie Schaedler Stanton Black Blackley Hamilton O’Rourke Baker Gordon and Duncan

Sub Davidson for Hamilton

Att 7200

4/3/1967 Scottish League Division One

Falkirk 0 v 2 Hibernian

O’Rourke 32
    Stein 88

Jimmy O’Rourke gave HIBS the lead just after the half hour with an outstanding rocket shot Colin Stein added a late second

Man of the Match was Alan Cousin whose work in defence was totally outstanding

Hibs Allan Duncan Davis Stanton Madsen Cousin Quinn O’Rourke Scott Stein and Stevenson

Att 6000

4/3/1959 Scottish League Division One

Hibernian 2 v 2 Rangers

Fox
    Preston

Des Fox standing in for the injured Joe Baker struck the crossbar in the dying seconds of this game

Hibs Wren Grant McClelland Baxter Paterson Preston Frye Aitken Fox Gibson and Ormond

Att 32000

4/3/1933 Scottish Cup Round 4

Hibernian 0 v 0 Hearts

This match attracted a lot of interest and drew a record crowd of 34000 to the Holy Ground

Hibs still in the Second Division having failed to come straight back up the first time of asking had built a new younger stronger side that had all but guaranteed promotion and sat proudly at the top of the League.

Hearts on the other hand were flying high near the top of the First Division

Hibs were the better side and were unlucky not to win but would lose the replay at Tynecastle 0-2

We are told that one supporter cancelled his booking to sail to America so as not to miss the match

Easter Road was like an excavation site with tons of rubble lying around as HIBS installed new crush barriers to accommodate the expected huge crowd

All that really mattered to HIBS was getting back into the top League

Hibs Blyth Wilkinson Urquhart Langton Watson McFarlane McPherson Wallace Flucker Halligan and Polland

Att 34000

At Easter Road They Play John Campbell

The Making of Hibernian The Romantic Years Alan Lugton

www.fitbastats.com
    Last edited by BILLYHIBS; 04-03-2021 at 09:59 AM.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member
    Re the last game.

My dad had inherited a league winners medal from the second division.

Some ******* broke into our house and stole it amongst other things. I would pay a reward for information on its return.
    Lot of sentiment value.

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PatHead View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Re the last game.

My dad had inherited a league winners medal from the second division.

Some ******* broke into our house and stole it amongst other things. I would pay a reward for information on its return.
    Lot of sentiment value.
    That’s dreadful friend, don’t know how I’d cope with that.

To whoever started "Here we go, two in a row" in the Roseburn end against Bonnyrigg, thank you. That tongue-in-cheek song just got more uplifting every round (and replay!). We don't have a word for it, but it was gallous. The Ayr game was a saunter and the semi draw made us pinch ourselves a little. "Oh my, we really actually could", although we all knew Celtic were probably too much and we didn't get the chance to prove that unfortunately. A quarter victory is never to be sniffed at, but singing that wee tune as we put the game out of doubt early was for me a magical Hibs memory. Not taking ourselves too seriously, but dreaming big.

Quote Originally Posted by Glory Lurker View Post
    To whoever started "Here we go, two in a row" in the Roseburn end against Bonnyrigg, thank you. That tongue-in-cheek song just got more uplifting every round (and replay!). We don't have a word for it, but it was gallous. The Ayr game was a saunter and the semi draw made us pinch ourselves a little. "Oh my, we really actually could", although we all knew Celtic were probably too much and we didn't get the chance to prove that unfortunately. A quarter victory is never to be sniffed at, but singing that wee tune as we put the game out of doubt early was for me a magical Hibs memory. Not taking ourselves too seriously, but dreaming big.
    ‘Mind the gap’ was equally enjoyable for me. Singing section were a force to be reckoned with that season.

OO5/3/2011 Scottish League SPL

St Johnstone 1 v 1 Hibernian

Wotherspoon 80

A Richie Towell own goal in 46 minutes gave Saints the lead when he inexplicably lashed a straightforward defensive clearance high past Mark Brown

David Wotherspoon equalised in 80 minutes when he fired the ball home off the underside of the crossbar in a crowded penalty area

Ricardo Vaz Te made his HIBS debut at half-time sporting a pair of shiny new gold boots

Hibs Brown Towell Booth Dickoh Hanlon Murray Wotherspoon Thornhill Palsson Sodje and Riordan

Subs Vaz Te Duffy Stevenson

Att 4500

5/3/2000 Scottish League SPL

Hibernian 2 v 1 Celtic

McGinlay 22
    Miller 64

Celtic had sacked one half of their Managerial Dream Team John Barnes and left Kenny Dalglish in charge

A Pat McGinlay strike gave HIBS a half-time lead when the Celtic defence failed to deal with a Mixu cut-back. Kenny Miller added to King Kenny’s woes in the second half when he latched onto a Jonathan Gould parry from a Lehmann effort in the box to spark chants of ‘You’re not very good ‘ from the East

Mark Viduka scored a late consolation for Celtic

Martin McIntosh a £250000 signing from Stockport made his HIBS debut

Alan Stubbs played for Celtic

Full game:

https://youtu.be/YFjdxOGO34U

Hibs Colgan Collins Smith McIntosh Hughes Sauzee Lovell McGinlay Lehmann Paatelainen and Miller

Sub Jean

Att 12236

5/3/1994 Scottish League Premier Division

Hibernian 3 v 0 Raith Rovers

Findlay
    K Wright 2

https://youtu.be/QeP_ev11LAU

Hibs Leighton McIntyre Mitchell Findlay Tweed McAllister Hamilton Wright Evans and O’Neill

Sub Jackson

Att 6000

5/3/1983 Scottish League Premier Division

Rangers 1 v 1 Hibernian

Jamieson

Willie Jamieson playing at Centre Half gave HIBS an early lead It looked as though we were going to hang on until Gordon Dalziel popped up with a late goal

Rangers lodged an official complaint with the SFA to complain about our brutal tackling Any HIBS fan that was there that day will tell you that the opposite was the case to say nothing about our Supporters Buses having to run the usual gauntlet of bricks and bottles

Hibs Rough Sneddon Turnbull Jamieson Rae McNamara Conroy Rice Irvine Thomson and Harvey

Subs Duncan McKee

Att 11000

5/3/1977 Scottish League Premier Division

Ayr United 1 v 2 Hibernian

Duncan
    Higgins

Big Walker McColl headed Ayr into an early lead but strikes from Arthur Duncan and Tony Higgins rescued the points for the Hibees

Hibs McDonald Brownlie Schaedler Bremner Stewart Blackley Fyfe MacLeod Smith Higgins and Duncan

Att 4000

5/3/1969 Scottish League Division One

Hibernian 1 v 2 Rangers

O’Rourke

This was a typical HIBS v Rangers game of the time HIBS totally dominated for 90 minutes Jimmy O ‘Rourke scored a good goal and gave the Rangers defence a torrid time Rangers were awarded the softest of soft penalties which John Greig duly converted

Into the second half and action replay total HIBS domination and possession Willie Johnston then scores a late late goal in injury time Sickening !

Hibs Wilson Duncan Davis Blackley Madsen Stanton Marinello O’Rourke McBride Cormack and Stevenson

Att 29221

5/3/1966 Scottish League Division One

Hamilton Academicals 1 v 2 Hibernian

Grant
    King og

Bert McCann gave Hamilton an early lead Colin Grant equalised and the winner was an own goal from Hamilton’s Alan King

Hibs extended their unbeaten run to three games and Colin Grant’s strike was HIBS’ 100th of the season

Hibs Allan Duncan Davis Stanton McNamee Baxter O’Rourke Grant Stein Quinn and Cormack

Att 1000

5/3/1960 Scottish Cup Round 3

East Stirling 0 v 3 Hibernian

J Baker 2
    Fox

East Stirling were undergoing a bit of a resurgence as a senior club and 8000 turned up at Firs Park for this Scottish Cup tie but the Second Division side were no match for Hugh Shaw’s men

Hibs Muirhead Grant McClelland Young Plenderleith Baxter MacLeod Johnstone Baker Fox and Ormond

Att 8500

5/3/1949 Scottish Cup Round 4

Hibernian 0 v 2 East Fife

Hopes were high of a decent run in the Cup with four of the Famous Five present in a match played on a heavy pitch

Right on the interval Davidson 44 put East Fife ahead

Into the second half and it was all HIBS with East Fife defending stoutly Smith was denied a penalty when the Referee said he was brought down outside the box Cubby missed an excellent chance in the box to level the tie and you guessed it Fleming 88 of East Fife fired home a long range strike against the run of play to make it 0-2

Another year of pain

HIBS Kerr Govan Cairns Buchanan Kean Ogilvie Reilly Cuthbertson Smith Turnbull and Ormond

Att 25000

5/3/1947 Scottish League Cup Quarter Final Leg 2

Hibernian 1 v 0 Airdrieonians ( Agg 5-4 AET)

Finnigan 115

Hibs would play Rangers in the Semi-Final at Hampden

Hibs Kerr Govan Shaw Howie Aird Kean Smith Finnigan Cuthbertson Turnbull and Ormond

Att: 22661

Birthdays:

Michael Antoine-Curier

Kenny Dalglish

At Easter Road They Play John Campbell

www.fitbastats.com
    Last edited by BILLYHIBS; 05-03-2022 at 11:07 AM.

Is it just me, when the old firm went behind in the game especially in the 60s and 70s they would try anything to get a penalty and invariably get an award by the ref. The John Mcdonald dive was the worst ever.

Quote Originally Posted by gbhibby View Post
    Is it just me, when the old firm went behind in the game especially in the 60s and 70s they would try anything to get a penalty and invariably get an award by the ref. The John Mcdonald dive was the worst ever.
    Growing up in that era it was a standing joke in any games involving the Old Firm especially if a certain RH Davidson (Airdrie) was involved

Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    Growing up in that era it was a standing joke in any games involving the Old Firm especially if a certain RH Davidson (Airdrie) was involved
    My dad once overheard Davidson saying to the Rangers manager at Easter Road you will be OK against the F****** today. When they saw my dad they bolted. My dad had just qualified as a ref at the time was disgusted.

My dad once overheard Davidson saying to the Rangers manager at Easter Road you will be OK against the F****** today. When they saw my dad they bolted. My dad had just qualified as a ref at the time was disgusted.
    Why does that not surprise me?

Why does that not surprise me?
    My dad was going to write to the SFA about the incident but didn't as he feared he would have been struck off the list. The west coast referee bias was known at the time and even later. I worked beside a grade one ref in the late 80's who gave up because of this.

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Wasn't it 1 each at that point?

Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    Wasn't it 1 each at that point?
    Yes I think it was. It was meant to be highlighting the softness of the penalties they would get in games should have made myself clearer sorry. That John Mcdonald game was the worst refereeing display ever, closely followed by the
    The Hibs v Aberdeen game which you can find on YouTube.

OO5/3/2011 Scottish League SPL

St Johnstone 1 v 1 Hibernian

Wotherspoon 80

A Richie Towell own goal in 46 minutes gave Saints the lead when he inexplicably lashed a straightforward defensive clearance high past Mark Brown

David Wotherspoon equalised in 80 minutes when he fired the ball home off the underside of the crossbar in a crowded penalty area

Ricardo Vaz Te made his HIBS debut at half-time sporting a pair of shiny new gold boots

Hibs Brown Towell Booth Dickoh Hanlon Murray Wotherspoon Thornhill Palsson Sodje and Riordan

Subs Vaz Te Duffy Stevenson

Att 4500

www.fitbastats.com
    Palsson was firmly in fan's favourite territory that day.

Darryl Duffy nearly scored, incredible day all round.

Wonder how that team would have done in the 2012 final. Either have won it or shipped double figures.

Yes I think it was. It was meant to be highlighting the softness of the penalties they would get in games should have made myself clearer sorry. That John Mcdonald game was the worst refereeing display ever, closely followed by the
    That game is etched on my mind 😆

That Aberdeen game was incendiary.

Quote Originally Posted by Broken Gnome View Post
    Palsson was firmly in fan's favourite territory that day.

Darryl Duffy nearly scored, incredible day all round.

Wonder how that team would have done in the 2012 final. Either have won it or shipped double figures.

Speaking about dodgy penalties what about Pa pulling the Jambos jersey outside the box ( Spanish guy cannae mind his name don’t really care tbh) he staggers on gets shot by a sniper inside the box fa’s doon and Craig Thomson points straight to the spot It’s a penalty!

Game over!

Another dodgy Ref

6/3/2016 Scottish Cup Quarter Final

Hibernian 1 v 1 Inverness CT

Keatings 54

James Keatings slots home a SDG cross to give HIBS the lead

Mutombo equalised for Caley

Ex Hibees John Hughes and Brian Rice in the Inverness dugout

https://youtu.be/uWPgH-Xrmkg

Hibs Oxley Gray McGregor Fontaine Stevenson Henderson McGeouch Thomson McGinn Keatings and Stokes

Subs Gunnarsson Dagnall

Att 10000

6/3/2010 Scottish League SPL

Hibernian 1 v 0 Kilmarnock

Riordan 78

Derek Riordan curled in a 78th minute free-kick to put HIBS into third in the league

Cammy Bell replaced for Kilmarnock after 10 minutes when he collided with Sol Bamba

Benji missed a 60th minute penalty

The East was out of action for this game

Hibs Stack Wotherspoon Hogg Bamba Murray McBride Stevenson Miller Riordan Gow and Stokes

Subs Benji Hanlon Galbraith

Att 10359

6/3/1993 Scottish Cup Round 5

Hibernian 2 v 0 St Johnstone

Tweed
    Wright

Hibs Burridge Orr Mitchell Hunter Tweed MacLeod Lennon Hamilton Wright Jackson and McGinlay

Sub Evans

Att 10785

6/3/1982 Scottish League Premier Division

Partick Thistle 1 v 2 Hibernian

Rae
    Paterson

Tony Higgins bagged Thistle’s goal

This was Iain Hendry’s second and last game for HIBS having broken his leg within seconds of his debut against Berwick Rangers

Hibs McArthur Sneddon Schaedler Brazil Paterson McNamara Callachan Murray MacLeod Rae and Duncan

Subs Hendry Flavell

Att 2500

6/3/1976 Scottish Cup Quarter Final

Motherwell 2 v 2 Hibernian

A cracking Cup tie in front of a large travelling support in which an 18 yard drive from Derek Spalding and a goal from Arthur Duncan cancelled out strikes from Willie Pettigrew and Peter Marinello

Hibs McDonald Brownlie Schaedler Spalding Barry Blackley Smith Bremner McGhee Stanton and Duncan

Sub Muir

Att 17500

6/3/1971 Scottish Cup Quarter Final

Hibernian 1 v 0 Dundee

O’Rourke pen

Dundee came to defend sat too deep and paid the price when George Stewart tripped Joe Baker in the box Up stepped Jimmy Jimmy O’Rourke to send Ally Donaldson the wrong way from the spot

The victory was marred by crowd trouble when 20 arrests were made

HIBS Marshall Brownlie Jones Blackley Black Stanton Davidson O’Rourke Baker Cropley and Duncan

Sub Hazel for Duncan

Att 21710

6/3/1968 Scottish League Division One

Airdrieonians 1 v 2 Hibernian

Stein
    Black og

Colin Stein scored his 21st goal of the season and Airdrie Centre Half Jim Black scored an own goal for HIBS

Ex Sunderland man Billy McPheat scored for Airdrie

Special mention to Thomson Allan and Alan Cousin who stepped in well for the injured Willie Wilson and John Madsen

Hibs Allan Simpson Davis Stanton Cousin McGraw Marinello O’Rourke Stein Cormack and Stevenson

Att 2200

6/3/1965 Scottish Cup Round 3

Hibernian 2 v 1 Rangers

Hamilton
    Baxter

Jock Stein’s last game in charge of HIBS and what a way to go out and very much a case of what if for HIBS fans

He won 62% of his games in charge of HIBS winning the Summer Cup which was a big deal at the time

He would go on to become Scottish Football’s greatest ever Manager

Hibs Wilson Fraser Davis Stanton McNamee Baxter Martin Quinn Scott Hamilton and Cormack

Att 47363

6/3/1954 Scottish League Division One

St Mirren 2 v 1 St Mirren

Turnbull
    Moran

Eddie Turnbull opened the scoring with a shot struck so hard the goalie never moved Stewart equalised for Saints Debutant Doug Moran scored the winner for HIBS

Hibs Hamilton MacFarlane Paterson Buchanan Ward Combe McDonald Johnstone Moran Turnbull and Ormond

Att 13000

Q. Doug Moran scored the winning goal in the Scottish Cup Final whilst on loan to which club?

6/3/1948 Scottish Cup Round 4

Hibernian 3 v 1 St Mirren

Combe 11
    Linwood 30 42

All the goals came in the first half with Mitchell scoring for Saints

Hibs would face Rangers in the semi-final

Hibs Farm Govan Shaw Kean Howie Buchanan Smith Combe Linwood Cuthbertson and Aitkenhead

Att 38000

Birthdays:

Hakim Sar-Temsoury

www.fitbastats.com
    Last edited by BILLYHIBS; 06-03-2021 at 11:48 AM.

Falkirk for Moran winning cup.

Quote Originally Posted by Killiehibbie View Post
    Falkirk for Moran winning cup.

@hibs.net private member Argylehibby's Avatar

Speaking about dodgy penalties what about Pa pulling the Jambos jersey outside the box ( Spanish guy cannae mind his name don’t really care tbh) he staggers on gets shot by a sniper inside the box fa’s doon and Craig Thomson points straight to the spot It’s a penalty!

Game over!

Another dodgy Ref
    Jambo was waving an imaginary card at the ref before he hit the ground. That was a bookable offence in itself ignored like everything else they did that day by a man who had no intention of letting Hibs win. Why he thought they needed help is beyond me but he was making sure there was no slip up.

Quote Originally Posted by Argylehibby View Post
    Jambo was waving an imaginary card at the ref before he hit the ground. That was a bookable offence in itself ignored like everything else they did that day by a man who had no intention of letting Hibs win. Why he thought they needed help is beyond me but he was making sure there was no slip up.
    This

https://youtu.be/NnyKGHNT7lE

Red card and it's a different game.
    I can handle getting beat but the ref was cheating that day.

That Rangers cup tie-nearly 50000 there. I joined the queue about 10 yards from the monumental mason's at the corner of Easter Road and St.Clair.Watched the game from the very top of the east terrace. No changing ends at half time that day. A good header from John Baxter and then Wilson let in a bouncer from Hynd. Willie Hamilton who was magnificent that day scored at the death when he flung himself at a Fraser cross. If my memory is right it was Jim Baxter's first game back after a bad injury and he was never in the game.

Quote Originally Posted by ancient hibee View Post
    That Rangers cup tie-nearly 50000 there. I joined the queue about 10 yards from the monumental mason's at the corner of Easter Road and St.Clair.Watched the game from the very top of the east terrace. No changing ends at half time that day. A good header from John Baxter and then Wilson let in a bouncer from Hynd. Willie Hamilton who was magnificent that day scored at the death when he flung himself at a Fraser cross. If my memory is right it was Jim Baxter's first game back after a bad injury and he was never in the game.
    ”HIBS’ winner was a header from a John Fraser free-kick 88. I was standing very close to where Fraser took the kick He wanted to play it short but his team mate wasn’t ready He swore, then swung it in the middle I’ll never forget the roar that greeted Jim Baxter’s name I think it was his comeback from the broken leg sustained against Rapid Vienna I may be wrong”

Ken Fergus
    Last edited by BILLYHIBS; 07-03-2021 at 09:49 AM.

F
    ”HIBS’ winner was a header from a John Fraser free-kick 88. I was standing very close to where Fraser took the kick He wanted to play it short but his team mate wasn’t ready He swore, then swung it in the middle I’ll never forget the roar that greeted Jim Baxter’s name I think it was his comeback from the broken leg sustained against Rapid Vienna I may be wrong”

Ken Fergus 19/11/2010
    That’s right. He came back too soon and took him longer than it should have to get over it.

7/3/1992 Scottish Cup Quarter Final

Hibernian 0 v 2 Airdrieonians

Anyone remember the old Airdrieonians ( 1878-2002) that used to masquerade as a football team full of ex-Jambos that used to love to cynically kick us off the park in the early nineties and employ anti football tactics at every turn?

This Match was one such occasion

Having just won the League Cup we were confident of going for a Cup double but Airdrie had other ideas John Martin saved a Tommy McIntyre penalty after Pat McGinlay was brought down inside the box and with time running out Airdrie struck with a late double whammy sucker punch

This game was the precursor for a repeat scoreline one month later when Budgie and Callum Milne got sent off and Willie Miller saved a penalty guaranteeing them safety in the Premier League and the battle that was our relegation play off back in 1997

https://youtu.be/Aqcnr4QTfik

Hibs Burridge Miller Mitchell Hunter McIntyre MacLeod Weir Hamilton Wright Evans and McGinlay

Subs Findlay Orr

Att 11000

7/3/1973 European Cup Winners Cup Quarter Final Leg 1

Hibernian 4 v 2 Hadjuk Split

Gordon 3
    Duncan

https://youtu.be/fsJoPmTO08M

Oh Salonika here we come !

Another great European night at Easter Road in front of 30000 but in typical HIBS style leading and coasting 4-1 with only 15 minutes to play they somehow manage to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory thanks to two late defensive lapses leaving themselves it all to do in the second leg

Eddie Turnbull was confident of us still going through

HIBS outplayed the Yugoslavs for large parts of this game - bear in mind that this side would supply the bulk of the players to Yugoslavia that would help knock Scotland out of the 1974 World Cup

Hibs were unfortunate not to win by more having three good penalty claims turned down by the Spanish Referee

Alex Edwards returned to the team from cold storage and this was a master stroke Wee Mickey being involved in every attack

After only 8 minutes he sent over a free-kick for Alan Gordon to head the first. HIBS were denied a penalty when Gordon was pushed to the ground in the 25th minute a minute later however HIBS were two ahead when Gordon grabbed his second thanks to an Alex Cropley cut back

In the 37th minute alarm bells were ringing when Hlevnjak nipped in to nod past Herriot

Two minutes into the second half and Arthur Duncan restored HIBS’ two goal advantage

Alan Gordon completed his hat-trick in the 70th minute when goalkeeper Sirkovic could only parry a drive from Erich Schaedler and he scored from close range

14 minutes from the end disaster struck when that man Hlevnjak scrambled the ball home to give ‘The Pirates’ hope for the second leg

Hibs Herriot Brownlie Schaedler Stanton Black Blackley Edwards Higgins Gordon Cropley and Duncan

Sub O’Rourke for Higgins 79

Att 28424

Q. Who was the last HIBS player to score a hat-trick in Europe?

7/3/1914 Scottish Cup Quarter Final

Queens Park 1 v 3 Hibernian

Paterson
    Wilson 2

55000 filled Hampden for this battle of the old masters Queens Park who had contested 12 finals and had won 10 losing twice against Celtic against the Irish upstarts from Leith

It is reckoned that 35000 Hibees were there that day thanks to reinforcements from our friends in the West

Hibs led 1-0 at half-time thanks to a goal from Captain and Centre Half Mattha Paterson

The wee American Bobby Wilson put HIBS further ahead after the interval but future Rangers and Scotland wizard Alan Morton pulled one back for the amateurs

Any fightback was put on a peep when Wilson crashed home HIBS’ third guaranteeing our place in the semifinals

The dream was still alive

Hibs Allan Girdwood Templeton Kerr Paterson Grossart Wilson Fleming Hendren Wood and Smith

Att 55000

7/3/1964 Scottish League Division One

Hibernian 5 v 2 Queen Of The South

Martin pen 38 53 68 83
    Scott 44

Walter Galbraith’s last game in charge of HIBS and a decent performance with Neil Martin scoring four goals against his old club

Scorers for Queens were John Parke og 42 and Arnold Coates 56

Neil Martin was stretchered off with a head knock for his trouble

Hibs Simpson Fraser Parke Stanton Falconer Preston Grant Quinn Scott Martin and Vincent

Att 8632

Birthdays:

Alan Cousin RIP

Bobby Flavell RIP

Colin Nish

Jackson Irvine

John Sparky2

The Making of Hibernian The Brave Years Alan Lugton

www.fitbastats.com
    Last edited by BILLYHIBS; 07-03-2021 at 05:42 PM.

One of my earliest ER memories was being at a QOS game, and it might have been that one. Anybody remember who Falconer was?

Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    One of my earliest ER memories was being at a QOS game, and it might have been that one. Anybody remember who Falconer was?
    Duncan Falconer was a utility player centre half / centre forward was top scorer 1961/62 became a policeman just recently passed away

This Match was his last appearance

http://www.hibshistoricaltrust.org.u...uncan-falconer
    Last edited by BILLYHIBS; 07-03-2021 at 12:07 PM.

Duncan Falconer was a utility player centre half / centre forward was top scorer 1961/62 become a policeman just recently passed away

This Match was his last appearance

http://www.hibshistoricaltrust.org.u...uncan-falconer
    Cheers for that. Makes sense that I have no memory of him, then. 😀