hibs.net Messageboard

Page 5 of 93 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Willie Miller should have given a foul to Hibs in that incident.

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk
    Aye, Willie missed that one 😉.

I'd be surprised if the highlights aren't on YouTube, if only because Aberdeen got the title trophy that day (was definitely on Scotsport or Sportscene).

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SideBurns View Post
    Thanks again for another day in this great thread! However, the scoring sequence in the Dons gemme isn't right. Hibs were 2 up at ht (brilliant free kick from Rice). They equalised in injury time; as you say, Rough was fouled (if memory serves me correct one or possibly two Dons sat on him while they put the ball in the net!).
    Many thanks for the feedback

I was somewhat confused as well ?

I remembered McGachies opener Rice’s brilliant freekick and getting robbed and Roughie being impeded with about 2-3 Sheep sitting on top of him as the ball got poked into the empty pokey to ensure the party got started

www.fitbastats.com would seem to back this up but Jonnyboys excellent In Colours Green and White has the scoring sequence as relayed above

Match reports of this game appear to be obsolete

Maybe if another poster could corroborate if they attended the match to solve this mystery

Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post

I remembered McGachies opener Rice’s brilliant freekick and getting robbed and Roughie being impeded with about 2-3 Sheep sitting on top of him as the ball got poked into the empty pokey to ensure the party got started

www.fitbastats.com would seem to back this up but Jonnyboys excellent In Colours Green and White has the scoring sequence as relayed above

Maybe if another poster could corroborate if they attended the match to solve this mystery
    I wasn't there, but listened to the game on the radio and recall being very upset when they equalised with seconds left. I didn't feel any better when I watched the highlights and saw the blatant foul on Roughie.

Would be very unlike Jonnyboy to get it wrong, but he must've done on this occasion!

Quote Originally Posted by SideBurns View Post
    I wasn't there, but listened to the game on the radio and recall being very upset when they equalised with seconds left. I didn't feel any better when I watched the highlights and saw the blatant foul on Roughie.

Would be very unlike Jonnyboy to get it wrong, but he must've done on this occasion!
    Yip put my faith in Jonnyboy but happens to the best of us

Just found it on afcheritage website

Aberdeen 2 v 2 Hibernian

Stark 61. McGachie 23

Porteous 90. Rice 26

Yip put my faith in Jonnyboy but happens to the best of us

Just found it on afcheritage website

Aberdeen 2 v 2 Hibernian

Stark 61. McGachie 23

Porteous 90. Rice 26
    Aye, we're all human! 😁
    I'd have much preferred Jonnyboy's version to be correct, but the injustice is too ingrained on my memory to have been mistaken...

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar

Was at that game at pittodrie absolutely scandalous decision to give the goal.

Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    Thanks Jim

@hibs.net private member Ringothedog's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    There weren’t many of us there if I remember correctly, I am sure we were in the Beach end surrounded by sheep

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ringothedog View Post
    There weren’t many of us there if I remember correctly, I am sure we were in the Beach end surrounded by sheep
    Yep in the beach end corner as you say not many but absolutely robbed think Aberdeen did a lap of honour before the game. Can also remember Miller doing Rice up there who was injured but think that was another game. John Mcgachie scored and gave the Aberdeen fans the GIRUY which was funny as think he was with them before Hibs.

6/5/2017 Scottish Championship

Hibernian 1 v 1 St Mirren

Holt

Only seems like last week but this game played in a friendly atmosphere marked the culmination of a three year slog in the second tier Roared on by a huge home support in celebratory mood HIBS flew into action and should have been ahead after only three minutes John McGinn floated a ball into the box which was knocked down by Holt to the onrushing Shinnie but the midfielders effort soared over the bar HIBS winger Martin Boyle then used his searing pace to speed clear of his marker but slipped as he was about to pull the trigger

Knowing a point would keep them safe St Mirren rarely threatened but they did have claims for a penalty waived away by referee Alan Muir after Lewis Morgan tumbled down in the box under a challenge from David Gray

The dynamic changed less than five minutes after the interval when Holt reacted first to McGinn’s ball into the box and although there may have been a touch by Saints defender Gary McKenzie the Hibernian striker will claim the goal

Ross reacted with a tactical switch pushing last weekend’s hat-trick scorer Stevie Mallan upfront to support striker Loy - a move that paid off with half an hour to play Kyle Maginnis drove into the box and played in Mallan who in turn found Loy and the on-loan Dundee striker fired home from 16 yards

With 10 man Raith Rovers beating Ayr United - that strike joyously greeted by the 1800 travelling support - ensured Saints escaped a second bottom finish and a relegation play off

HIBS top scorer Jason Cummings had a late chance to score the winner but his shot whistled inches wide of Billy O’Brien’s left hand post and as Muir blew the final whistle both sets of fans were able to celebrate for very different reasons

Hibs Rocky Gray McGregor Ambrose Stevenson Shinnie Bartley McGinn Boyle Holt and Cummings

Subs Forster for Gray 46 Fyvie for Bartley 47 Keatings for Shinnie 76

Unused Humphrey Graham Laidlaw and Martin

Att 19764

https://youtu.be/THRpnuK5Ojo

6/5/2014 Scottish League Premiership Ross County A 0-1

6/5/2001 Scottish League SPL

Hibernian 2 v 5 Celtic

Libbra 2

Oh dear! This match was a dress rehearsal for the upcoming 2001 Scottish Cup Final versus a very strong and physical Celtic side. Hibs had injury problems and had to play Dirk Lehmann at centre back. HIBS competed well and had several chances to score but were ultimately torn apart by Champions Celtic

A Jackie MacNamara double had Celtic ahead at half time and this was no different in the second half with Larrson, Stubbs (scoring with a header after being out with serious illness for several months ) and Moravcik piling on the agony

The excellent on-loan striker Marc Libbra scored a late double for HIBS to make the scoreline look more respectable

NHC:

https://youtu.be/otqbkw3WxXg

6/5/2000 Scottish League SPL Motherwell A 0-2

6/5/1995 Scottish League Premier Division

Hibernian 3 v 1 Hearts

Weir
    Wright
    Harper

Just under 8000 fans were at Easter Road as the North and South Stands were under reconstruction

Relegation threatened Hearts took the lead midway through the first half when John Colquhoun skinned Joe Tortolano on the right and whipped in a great cross for David Hagen to power home at the back post The former Ibrox kid then headed off the line at the other end but that was just a taster of things to come

HIBS had the game by the scruff of the neck after the break but it took the introduction of Kevin Harper for Kevin McAllister 12 minutes into the second half to give them that cutting edge

The little striker took a mere six minutes to slice open Hearts defence with a run and cross that Mickey Weir bulleted home at the back post Then Weir whose brilliant close control gave Hearts problems all day released Wright to score the killer second four minutes later While Hearts were still recovering from that blow Kevin Harper was tapping home hibs’ third after Craig Nelson had brilliantly parried a Pat McGinlay drive into his path

Tommy McLean felt the turning point was a magnificent Jim Leighton save from Hagen shortly before HIBS notched their equaliser but in reality the game turned on his side’s reaction to losing that leveller to little Mickey Weir

Hibs Leighton Miller Mitchell McGinlay Tweed Tortolano McAllister Millen Wright Weir and ONeill

Subs Harper for McAllister 57 Evans for ONeill 85

Att 7122

https://youtu.be/qK4dGjtmGDc

6/5/1989 Scottish League Premier Division Celtic A 0-1

6/5/1972 Scottish Cup Final Celtic N 1-6

106000 crammed into Hampden for the battle of the greens and HIBS fans were optimistic after a good run of results and a display of fast flowing attractive football that had easily disposed of Rangers in the recent Scottish Cup Semi Final Replay

It was not to be however and the vastly more experienced and excellent Celtic side dominated throughout and easily won this match. HIBS went into the second half only 1-2 down after Alan Gordon had pulled a goal back and Eddie Turnbull decided to throw caution to the wind. As the HIBS jerseys surged forward the clinical Celtic forwards took advantage of the large gaps that appeared in the HIBS defence. HIBS were unlucky not to score but did not do themselves justice it was a hard lesson learned the better team on the day had won and in his post match interview Eddie Turnbull told the waiting media “We’ll be back!”

Hibs Herriot Brownlie Schaedler Stanton Black and Blackley Edwards ORourke Gordon Hazel and Duncan Sub: Auld

New footage

https://youtu.be/S-VQ7hWcdVk

The fans (see if you can spot Billy Connolly?)

https://youtu.be/PcqvOBs0V8o

6/5/1964 Summer Cup Group 4 Dunfermline Athletic H 1-0

Martin pen

Hibs on the march to win the Summer Cup under Jock Stein

6/5/1944 Scottish Southern League Cup Semi Final Clyde N 5-2

Baxter
    Combe
    Nelson
    Woodburn 2

Att 35000

Hibs qualified to meet Rangers in the final at Hampden on 20/5/1944

Hibernian On This Day. Colquhoun and Sinnet

John Sparky 2

Birthdays

Josh Campbell

Chris Shevlane

www.fitbastats.com
    Last edited by BILLYHIBS; 06-05-2020 at 02:32 PM.

6/5/1944 Scottish Southern League Cup Semi Final Clyde N 5-2

Baxter
    Combe
    Nelson
    Woodburn 2

Att 35000

Hibs qualified to meet Rangers in the final at Hampden on 20/5/1944
    The final ended up 0-0 with Hibs winning on corners. 🏆

The competition was only played 6 times Rangers won 4 with Aberdeen and ourselves winning 1 each.
    Last edited by Bobo; 06-05-2020 at 08:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobo View Post
    The final ended up 0-0 with Hibs winning on pens. 🏆

The competition was only played 6 times Rangers won 4 with Aberdeen and ourselves winning 1 each.
    Yip !

Thought I would leave the match report until the 20th May struggling for stuff to report on

Something to look forward to 😃

Yip !

Thought I would leave the match report until the 20th May struggling for stuff to report on

Something to look forward to 😃
    Sorry didn't mean to give the game away so to speak, I enjoy reading your reports, keep up the good work 👍🏻
    "The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who don't have it" - George Bernard Shaw.

Sorry didn't mean to give the game away so to speak, I enjoy reading your reports, keep up the good work 👍🏻
    Thanks pal

Sorry didn't mean to give the game away so to speak, I enjoy reading your reports, keep up the good work ����
    Also got a 1964 Summer Cup win to look forward to so not all bad
    Last edited by BILLYHIBS; 06-05-2020 at 08:10 AM.

Also got a 1964 Summer Cup win to look forward to so not all bad
    Good stuff 👍🏻 I've got both the programmes for the final. 🙂
    "The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who don't have it" - George Bernard Shaw.

Thanks pal

Just noticed I'd put we won on pens, I meant to put corners 🥴

Just noticed I'd put we won on pens, I meant to put corners 🥴
    Damn was hoping to surprise you

Also beat Hearts 4-1 in the final of the Roseberry Cup at Tinycastle a week later

What a team!

@hibs.net private member weecounty hibby's Avatar
    Damn was hoping to surprise you

Also beat Hearts 4-1 in the final of the Roseberry Cup at Tinycastle a week later

What a team!

Was second place prize in the Roseberry cup the chance to make a James Hunt of yourself by dressing like a Battenburg cake in the Roseberry colours?

Quote Originally Posted by weecounty hibby View Post
    Was second place prize in the Roseberry cup the chance to make a James Hunt of yourself by dressing like a Battenburg cake in the Roseberry colours?

https://www.sundaypost.com/in10/chat...tenburg-shirt/

Pretty sure we are the last winners of that trophy and is currently on display at Easter Road

7/5/2016 Premiership Play-Offs QF Leg 2

Hibernian 2 v 0 Raith Rovers ( Agg 2-1 )

McGinn
    McGregor

Hibernian defeated Raith Rovers at Easter Road to overcome a 0-1 first leg deficit and set up a semi-final clash with Falkirk

Hibs got off to a blistering start after just 7 minutes when a blocked Anthony Stokes shot fell kindly to McGinn and his strike took a big deflection to loop over the stranded Cuthbert and into the net. It was to get even better for the Hibees just four minutes later as McGregor lost his marker Craig Barr at a Henderson corner to power home a header and put HIBS ahead in the tie

Hibs continued to press but Raith Rovers came more into the game second half. The HIBS defence held firm however and David Gray was unlucky with 6 minutes to go when he got onto the end of a McGinn free kick with a diving header only to see his attempt come crashing back off the post

Hibs Logan Gray Henderson Hanlon Fyvie McGeouch Stevenson McGinn McGregor Stokes and Cummings

Subs Bartley for McGeouch 65 Keatings for Cummings 80 Fontaine for Henderson 81

Unused Oxley Boyle Gunnarsson and Dagnall

Att 11133

https://youtu.be/0iPZ-8tMtX8

7/5/2012 Scottish League SPL

Hibernian 4 v 0 Dunfermline Athletic

Doherty
    Doyle
    OConnor pen
    Hanlon

Hibs only needed a draw to ensure survival and send The Pars down

HIBS got off to the perfect start when Tom Soares’ deep free-kick was head flicked on by McPake and Doherty nipped in to beat Smith with a header thanks to the aid of a post. Doherty was the provider for the hosts’ second getting the break of the ball and chipping across for Doyle to head home. It got worse for Jim Jeffries’ side when Austin McCann was penalised for grappling with Hanlon and birthday boy Garry OConnor stroked the spot kick into the net

Dunfermline tried to respond and HIBS goalkeeper Mark Brown pulled off two good saves from McMillan

Into the second half and the frantic pace continued as Dunfermline tried to get back into the game Eoin Doyle missed an open goal as Isaiah Osbourne laid the ball on a plate for him totally missing the ball in front of goal

A free-kick from distance gave Martin Hardie the chance to test Brown and the veteran’s shot rebounded off the post back off the keeper and out for a corner

Doyle had a header cleared off the line before Paul Hanlon sealed the deal thanks to another excellent assist from Osbourne when his thumping drive hit the underside of the bar and appeared to bounce down this side of the line but the assistant referee awarded the goal

The final whistle was followed by a lap of honour and SOL

Hibs Brown Doherty McPake Hanlon Pa Kujabi Stevenson Osbourne Claros Soares Doyle and OConnor

Subs Francomb for Pa 46 ODonavan for OConnor 69 Sproule for Doyle 83

Unused Grant OHanlon Murray and Towell

Att 15281

7/5/2011 Scottish League SPL Hamilton Academical A 0-1

7/5/2009 Scottish League SPL

Hearts 0 v 1 Hibernian

Riordan pen

What can be better than going to the back yard of your greatest rival with seven first team players missing and next to no hope and coming away with a victory? The fact Mixu Paatelainen’s patchwork posse holed Hearts’ European hopes below the waterline made it all the sweeter for the band of HIBS supporters who had journeyed across Edinburgh

Czaba Laszlo’s men are now just a point ahead of Dundee United with three games left and the automatic Europa League place that looked theirs a few days ago is now in serious jeopardy To make matters worse they will almost certainly be hit in the pocket after a few of their fans couldn’t take Derek Riordan’s winning goal and jumped on the pitch to try to get at the HIBS striker. All in all it was a night to forget for the home team they were booed off the park by their own support but the noise was almost drowned out by the joyous outpouring from the HIBS end as Steve Conroy blew the final whistle

They celebrated Riordan’s 77th penalty like it was a title clincher

Riordan wasn’t the only hero for HIBS Ian Murray was magnificent as hearts laid a late seige on their goal and in the middle Lewis Stevenson and Ross Chisholm outplayed the much vaunted Bruno Aguiar and Michael Stewart and the last line of defence the much maligned Yves Ma-Kalambay was terrific

There was a place on the bench for young Jordan Cropley son of Easter Road legend Alex but they could have been doing with the guile and know how of his father in his heyday as this team was dreadfully short of experience

Hearts had yet to beat HIBS in the three league meetings this season and Laszlo stoked the prematch fire by insisting that Hearts were better than HIBS at every sport and it was up to his players to prove it and they were given a raucous welcome by their fans who clearly believed the depleted Easter Road team were there for the taking

Their favourites started like they believed it too ripping into the HIBS boys testing their resolve right from the off The first 10 minutes was one way traffic yet HIBS survived the onslaught with Steven Thicot making a couple of vital headed clearances On 11 minutes Lee Wallace thundered into the HIBS box setting up Callum Elliot who should have scored but Makalamby easily saved his tame effort Hearts had a strong wind behind them but there was a lack of subtlety to their play and they almost paid the price when Alan OBrien broke clear sliding the ball along the 18 yard line to Riordan who stepped inside and curled a shot through Zaliukas’ legs and towards the bottom left hand corner of Kello’s goal the keeper plunged low to turn it aside but it was a sign that HIBS could be potent on the counter

Riordan was becoming increasingly influential for HIBS and almost scored direct from a corner forcing the flapping Kello to tip it over for another corner. Laszlo had seen enough and after only half an hour he brought on Nade for the ineffective Jonsson

It was all Hearts at the start of the second half but the makeshift HIBS midfield of Stevenson Rankin and Caldwell held firm and continued to look very composed under pressure On 55 minutes OBrien shot wide from the edge of the box and Hearts responded with their best move of the match which left Christian Nade with an open goal from six yards out however David Van Zanten appeared from nowhere to boot the ball to safety. Laszlo’s men came even closer in the 63rd minute when Nade’s powerful head flick found Driver 14 yards out who unleashed a powerful drive only to see Makalambay once again get down to turn it around his right hand post

The Hearts fans were getting restless and so too was Michael Stewart who had been completely hustled out of the match by Lewis Stevenson even complaining to the Referee about a lack of protection but the youngster had done nothing wrong he was playing a blinder HIBS did not worry about that and with 13 minutes to go they were 1-0 up and Hearts were down to 10 men A punt up the park by Makalambay a dart behind Christos Karapidis by Riordan into the box getting ahead of the Greek hauled down in the box penalty to HIBS and a red card to the last man

Riordan calmly sent Kello the wrong way from 12 yards and as some of the HIBS support spilled on to the track to celebrate a couple of hearts fans came out of the Wheatfield Stand and made for Riordan

Hibs Ma-Kalambay Hanlon Murray Thicot Van Zanten OBrien Chisholm Stevenson Rankin Riordan and Fletcher

Subs Keenan

Not used McNeill Pinau McCormack Campbell Cropley and Tolmie

Att 14781

https://youtu.be/vObOpb0ilNk

7/5/2006 Scottish League SPL Kilmarnock A 1-3

Fletcher

7/5/2005 Scottish League SPL Motherwell A 2-2

G Caldwell
    Konte

Amadou Konte’s 90th minute goal rescued a point for third placed HIBS after a Stephen Craigan double had given Motherwell a two goal lead

The Well skipper opened the scoring when he netted from a Brian Kerr corner Craigan grabbed his second just after the break in similar fashion when he rose once again to meet a Kerr corner heading beyond Brown from 14 yards

Craigan then went from hero to zero when he pulled Dean Shiels down in the box but Garry O’ Connor let him off the hook as Marshall dived to his left to brilliantly tip his effort over the bar

Tony Mowbray’s side were back in the game nine minutes from the end when Gary Caldwell curled in a superb 25 yard free-kick. HIBS frantically searched for the leveller but could have lost a third when Jim Hamilton’s fine volley arrowed just past the post

But the equaliser came at the death when substitute Sproule escaped down the right and his cross was swept home at the second attempt by fellow replacement Konte as he lay stretched out on the Fir Park turf

Hibs Brown Whittaker Caldwell Smith Murray Brown A.Murray Shiels Glass Riordan and OConnor

Subs Boozy Konte and Sproule

Att: 8903

7/5/1994 Scottish League Premier Division Dundee A 0-4

7/5/1988 Scottish League Premier Division

Hibernian 3 v 1 Morton

Goram
    Orr
    Tortolano

A bright summers run of the mill end of season fixture versus already relegated Morton

Andy Goram scored directly from a kick out going down the slope his powerful clearance bounced on the penalty spot the bounce and the pace of the ball deceiving goalkeeper David Wylie resulting in them both nestling in the net

7/5/1983 Scottish League Premier Division Rangers H 1-2

Callachan

Birthdays

Fraser Murray

Garry O’Connor

Hibernian FC On This Day Colquhoun and Sinnet

www.fitbastats.com
    Last edited by BILLYHIBS; 18-01-2021 at 08:32 AM.

Left by mutual consent!
    7/5/2016 Premiership Play-Offs QF Leg 2

Hibernian 2 v 0 Raith Rovers ( Agg 2-1 )

McGinn
    McGregor

Hibernian defeated Raith Rovers at Easter Road to overcome a 0-1 first leg deficit and set up a semi-final clash with Falkirk

Hibs got off to a blistering start after just 7 minutes when a blocked Anthony Stokes shot fell kindly to McGinn and his strike took a big deflection to loop over the stranded Cuthbert and into the net. It was to get even better for the Hibees just four minutes later as McGregor lost his marker Craig Barr at a Henderson corner to power home a header and put HIBS ahead in the tie

Hibs continued to press but Raith Rovers came more into the game second half. The HIBS defence held firm however and David Gray was unlucky with 6 minutes to go when he got onto the end of a McGinn free kick with a diving header only to see his attempt come crashing back off the post

Hibs Logan Gray Henderson Hanlon Fyvie McGeouch Stevenson McGinn McGregor Stokes and Cummings

Subs Bartley for McGeouch 65 Keatings for Cummings 80 Fontaine for Henderson 81

Unused Oxley Boyle Gunnarsson and Dagnall

Att 11133

https://youtu.be/0iPZ-8tMtX8

7/5/2012 Scottish League SPL

Hibernian 4 v 0 Dunfermline Athletic

Doherty
    Doyle
    OConnor pen
    Hanlon

Hibs only needed a draw to ensure survival and send The Pars down

HIBS got off to the perfect start when Tom Soares’ deep free-kick was head flicked on by McPake and Doherty nipped in to beat Smith with a header thanks to the aid of a post. Doherty was the provider for the hosts’ second getting the break of the ball and chipping across for Doyle to head home. It got worse for Jim Jeffries’ side when Austin McCann was penalised for grappling with Hanlon and birthday boy Garry OConnor staked the spot kick into the net

Dunfermline tried to respond and HIBS goalkeeper Mark Brown pulled off two good saves from McMillan

Into the second half and the frantic pace continued as Dunfermline tried to get back into the game Eoin Doyle missed an open goal as Isaiah Osbourne laid the ball on a plate for him totally missing the ball in front of goal

A free-kick from distance gave Martin Hardie the chance to test Brown and the veteran’s shot rebounded off the post back off the keeper and out for a corner

Doyle had a header cleared off the line before Paul Hanlon sealed the deal thanks to another excellent assist from Osbourne when his thumping drive hit the underside of the bar and appeared to bounce down this side of the line but the assistant referee awarded the goal

The final whistle was followed by a lap of honour and SOL

Hibs Brown Doherty McPake Hanlon Pa Kujabi Stevenson Osbourne Claros Soares Doyle and OConnor

Subs Francomb for Pa 46 ODonavan for OConnor 69 Sproule for Doyle 83

Unused Grant OHanlon Murray and Towell

Att 15281

7/5/2011 Scottish League SPL Hamilton Academical A 0-1

Hearts 0 v 1 Hibernian

Riordan pen

What can be better than going to the back yard of your greatest rival with seven first team players missing and next to no hope and coming away with a victory? The fact Mixu Paatelainen’s patchwork posse holed Hearts’ European hopes below the waterline made it all the sweeter for the band of HIBS supporters who had journeyed across Edinburgh

Czaba Laszlo’s men are now just a point ahead of Dundee United with three games left and the automatic Europa League place that looked theirs a few days ago is now in serious jeopardy To make matters worse they will almost certainly be hit in the pocket after a few of their fans couldn’t take Derek Riordan’s winning goal and jumped on the pitch to try to get at the HIBS striker All in all it was a night to forget for the home team they were booed off the park by their own support but the noise was almost drowned out by the joyous outpouring from the HIBS end as Steve Conroy blew the final whistle
    They celebrated Riordan’s 77th penalty like it was a title clincher

Riordan wasn’t the only hero for HIBS Ian Murray was magnificent as hearts laid a late seige on their goal and in the middle Lewis Stevenson and Ross Chisholm outplayed the much vaunted Bruno Aguiar and Michael Stewart and the last line of defence the much maligned Yves Ma-Kalambay was terrific

There was a place on the bench for young Jordan Cropley son of Easter Road legend Alex but they could have been doing with the guile and know how of his father in his heyday as this team was dreadfully short of experience

Hearts had yet to beat HIBS in the three league meetings this season and Laszlo stoked the prematch fire by insisting that Hearts were better than HIBS at every sport and it was up to his players to prove it and they were given a raucous welcome by their fans who clearly believed the depleted Easter Road team were there for the taking

Their favourites started like they believed it too ripping into the HIBS boys testing their resolve right from the off The first 10 minutes was one way traffic yet HIBS survived the onslaught with Steven Thicot making a couple of vital headed clearances On 11 minutes Lee Wallace thundered into the HIBS box setting up Callum Elliot who should have scored but Makalamby easily saved his tame effort Hearts had a strong wind behind them but there was a lack of subtlety to their play and they almost paid the price when Alan OBrien broke clear sliding the ball along the 18 yard line to Riordan who stepped inside and curled a shot through Zaliukas’ legs and towards the bottom left hand corner of Kello’s goal the keeper plunged low to turn it aside but it was a sign that HIBS could be potent on the counter

Riordan was becoming increasingly influential for HIBS and almost scored direct from a corner forcing the flapping Kello to tip it over for another corner Laszlo had seen enough and after only half an hour he brought on Nade for the ineffective Jonsson

It was all Hearts at the start of the second half but the makeshift HIBS midfield of Stevenson Rankin and Caldwell held firm and continued to look very composed under pressure On 55 minutes OBrien shot wide from the edge of the box and Hearts responded with their best move of the match which left Christian Nade with an open goal from six yards out however David Van Zanten appeared from nowhere to boot the ball to safety Laszlo’s men came even closer in the 63rd minute when Nade’s powerful head flick found Driver 14 yards out who unleashed a powerful drive only to see Makalambay once again get down to turn it around his right hand post

The Hearts fans were getting restless and so too was Michael Stewart who had been completely hustled out of the match by Lewis Stevenson even complaining to the Referee about a lack of protection but the youngster had done nothing wrong he was playing a blinder HIBS did not worry about that and with 13 minutes to go they were 1-0 up and Hearts were down to 10 men A punt up the park by Makalambay a dart behind Christos Karapidis by Riordan into the box getting ahead of the Greek hauled down in the box penalty to HIBS and red card to the last man

Riordan calmly sent Kello the wrong way from 12 yards and as some of the HIBS support spilled on to the track to celebrate a couple of hearts fans came out of the Wheatfield Stand and made for Riordan

Hibs Ma-Kalambay Hanlon Murray Thicot Van Zanten OBrien Chisholm Stevenson Rankin Riordan and Fletcher

Subs Keenan

Not used McNeill Pinau McCormack Campbell Cropley and Tolmie

Att 14781

https://youtu.be/vObOpb0ilNk

7/5/2006 Scottish League SPL Kilmarnock A 1-3

Fletcher

7/5/2005 Scottish League SPL Motherwell A 2-2

G Caldwell
    Konte

7/5/1994 Scottish League Premier Division Dundee A 0-4

7/5/1988 Scottish League Premier Division

Hibernian 3 v 1 Morton

Goram
    Orr
    Tortolano

A bright summers run of the mill end of season fixture versus already relegated Morton

Andy Goram scored directly from a kick out going down the slope his powerful clearance bounced on the penalty spot the bounce and the pace of the ball deceiving goalkeeper David Wylie resulting in them both nestling in the net

7/5/1983 Scottish League Premier Division Rangers H

Callachan

Birthdays

Fraser Murray

Garry O’Connor

Hibernian FC On This Day Colquhoun and Sinnet

www.fitbastats.com
    11 years since that derby at Tynie, remember it like it was yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibeesmad View Post
    11 years since that derby at Tynie, remember it like it was yesterday.
    Brilliant eh?

Couldnae resist the full match report

GIRFUY!

Brilliant eh?

Couldnae resist the full match report

GIRFUY!
    Casper punching that Jakie Jambo pitch invader guy. An incident that sums up the whole ethos of their club.

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    Casper punching that Jakie Jambo pitch invader guy. An incident that sums up the whole ethos of their club.
    Even had the cheek to look shocked and look for blood as if he had just been punched by a ghost after running on the pitch to attack a player......roaster ! 👻

Even had the cheek to look shocked and look for blood as if he had just been punched by a ghost after running on the pitch to attack a player......roaster ! 👻
    Well he's 11 years older now.

I wonder if he's grown up yet?

Or if he's still haunted by Casper lashing out with punches at any given moment. Must be a nightmare.

@hibs.net private member

Hearts 0 v 1 Hibernian

Riordan pen

Maybe my memory playing tricks (again) but I was sure that the Goram goal was kicked up the slope towards the away end?

Quote Originally Posted by gloryhunter View Post

Hearts 0 v 1 Hibernian

Riordan pen

Maybe my memory playing tricks (again) but I was sure that the Goram goal was kicked up the slope towards the away end?
    Definitely down the slope; I was in the cowshed that day. We were going through a period of shooting downhill in the first half for some reason!

Mark Oxley was up the slope though I suppose it was levelled by then

Blog Entries
    Re the Casper game. Not only were many players missing but our team was completely lopsided, I think 7/10 outfield players were left sided. I doubt we've ever had so many in a team before or since. However they all gave everything & ended up one of our best PBS occasions.
    PS, I can't believe you haven't given more prominence to the Mali Magician's thunderbolt equaliser at Well.