Page 45 of 93 FirstFirst ... 35434445464755 ... LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,350 of 2779
    @hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    26/1/1986 Scottish Cup Round 3

Hibernian 2 v 0 Dunfermline Athletic

May
    Cowan

A decent competitive Cup tie played in front of a big Sunday crowd

Dunfermline held their own until Davie Moyes got sent off for a tackle on Gordon Hunter in 56 minutes

Hibs Rough Sneddon Munro Chisholm Fulton Hunter May Kane Cowan Durie and Collins

Sub Rae

Att 15500

26/1/1985 Friendly Challenge Match

Hibernian 6 v 3 Celtic

Brazil 3
    Durie
    Jamieson
    Rice

This game was hastily arranged and played in front of 5000 fans in deepest darkest winter

Cult hero Benny Brazil scored a never to be repeated hat-trick The first a sweet volley from the edge of the box The second a stooping flashing header and the third a pen where he sent the goalkeeper the wrong way from the spot

The Celtic goals came from Mo Johnston Paul McStay and Brian McClair

The Match was tagged ‘friendly’ but it did not stop Celtic booting Michael Weir up and down the park

Tommy Craig took charge of the team as John Blackley headed south to sign Joe McBride Jnr

26/1/1980 Scottish Cup Round 3

Meadowbank Thistle 0 v 1 Hibernian

Callachan

This tie played at Tynecastle Ralph Callachan headed home a Tony Higgins cross for the only goal of the game

Hibs McArthur Brazil Lambie Paterson Stewart McNamara Callachan MacLeod Higgins Campbell and Best

Att 8500

26/1/1977 Scottish League Premier Division

Hearts 0 v 1 Hibernian

Macleod

Hibs won this ‘New Years Day Derby’ thanks to a magnificent second half strike from Super Ally MacLeod

This result made it nine games without defeat against Hearts and 22 years without defeat at Tynecastle in the New Years Day Derby

Hibs McDonald Brownlie Spalding Bremner Stewart Blackley Edwards MacLeod McGhee Smith and Duncan

Sub Scott

Att 24000

26/1/1974 Scottish Cup Round 3

Hibernian 5 v 2 Kilmarnock

O’Rourke 2
    Edwards
    Blackley
    Stanton

Eddie Morrison with an early double for Killie

Hibs McArthur Bremner Schaedler Stanton Black Blackley Edwards O’Rourke Gordon Cropley and Duncan

Sub Smith

Att 14241

26/1/1963 Scottish Cup Round 2

Brechin City 0 v 2 Hibernian

Fraser
    M Stevenson

In Colours Green and White John Campbell

www.fitbastats.com
    Last edited by BILLYHIBS; 26-01-2021 at 08:01 PM.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member eastterrace's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    26/1/1986 Scottish Cup Round 3

Hibernian 2 v 0 Dunfermline Athletic

May
    Cowan

A decent competitive Cup tie played in front of a big Sunday crowd

Hibs Rough Sneddon Munro Chisholm Fulton Hunter May Kane Cowan Durie and Collins

Sub Rae

Att 15500

26/1/1985 Friendly Challenge Match

Hibernian 6 v 3 Celtic

Brazil 3
    Durie
    Jamieson
    Rice

This game was hastily arranged and played in front of 5000 fans in deepest darkest winter

Cult hero Benny Brazil scored a never to be repeated hat-trick The first a sweet volley from the edge of the box The second a stooping flashing header and the third a pen where he sent the goalkeeper the wrong way from the spot

The Celtic goals came from Mo Johnston Paul McStay and Brian McClair

The Match was tagged ‘friendly’ but it did not stop Celtic booting Michael Weir up and down the park

Tommy Craig took charge of the team as John Blackley headed south to sign Joe McBride Jnr

26/1/1980 Scottish Cup Round 3

Meadowbank Thistle 0 v 1 Hibernian

Callachan

This tie played at Tynecastle Ralph Callachan headed home a Tony Higgins cross for the only goal of the game

Hibs McArthur Brazil Lambie Paterson Stewart McNamara Callachan MacLeod Higgins Campbell and Best

Att 8500

26/1/1977 Scottish League Premier Division

Hearts 0 v 1 Hibernian

Macleod

Hibs won this ‘New Years Day Derby’ thanks to a magnificent strike from Super Ally MacLeod

This result made it nine games without defeat against Hearts and 22 years without defeat at Tynecastle in the New Years Day Derby

Hibs McDonald Brownlie Spalding Bremner Stewart Blackley Edwards MacLeod McGhee Smith and Duncan

Sub Scott

Att 24000

26/1/1974 Scottish Cup Round 3

Hibernian 5 v 2 Kilmarnock

O’Rourke 2
    Edwards
    Blackley
    Stanton

Eddie Morrison with a double for Killie

Hibs McArthur Bremner Schaedler Stanton Black Blackley Edwards O’Rourke Gordon Cropley and Duncan

Sub Smith

Att 14241

26/1/1963 Scottish Cup Round 2

Brechin City 0 v 2 Hibernian

Fraser
    M Stevenson

www.fitbastats.com
    was at a few of these games but the one that stands out was the cup tie with killie the 5-2 game. I mind we went 2-0 down quite early and it was snowing then we turned on the style and blew them away. Great game.

Quote Originally Posted by eastterrace View Post
    was at a few of these games but the one that stands out was the cup tie with killie the 5-2 game. I mind we went 2-0 down quite early and it was snowing then we turned on the style and blew them away. Great game.

Wish we could just just turn on the style nowadays

We just took it for granted back then

15,500 at Easter Road for a game against Dunfermline is an incredible attendance for the mid 1980s.

We played them in the Cup at ER a few years earlier and the attendance was only about 7k(?)

Quote Originally Posted by Keith_M View Post
    15,500 at Easter Road for a game against Dunfermline is an incredible attendance for the mid 1980s.

We played them in the Cup at ER a few years earlier and the attendance was only about 7k(?)
    Dunfermline had been on a 19 game unbeaten run in Division 2 under Jim Leishman and brought 3000 fans hoping for a result

16500 on 31/1/1987 2-0 win again Mickey Weir and Kano
    Last edited by BILLYHIBS; 26-01-2021 at 12:37 PM.

@hibs.net private member weecounty hibby's Avatar
    Vivid memories of the Meadowbank game. Well not actually of the game, more the fact that I had to leave early as I was puking rings round myself at the back of the terrace. For once it wasn't booze induced as I was only eleven at the time!!! Jambos had poisoned the pies!

@hibs.net private member MartinfaePorty's Avatar
    Report from the Dunfermline game. Hope you can read it ok, as wouldn't allow me to upload the scanned version.

Sent from my EML-L29 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by weecounty hibby View Post
    Vivid memories of the Meadowbank game. Well not actually of the game, more the fact that I had to leave early as I was puking rings round myself at the back of the terrace. For once it wasn't booze induced as I was only eleven at the time!!! Jambos had poisoned the pies!
    My first game at Tynie, aged 8. Remember having to stand on my toes to see the game and I was very excited to see George Best in action.

Quote Originally Posted by MartinfaePorty View Post
    Report from the Dunfermline game. Hope you can read it ok, as wouldn't allow me to upload the scanned version.

Sent from my EML-L29 using Tapatalk
    Brilliant!

Nice to get a reminder that at one time it was Hearts fans moaning "we never beat them".

27/1/2019 Scottish League Premiership

St Mirren 1 v 3 Hibernian

Shaw 61
    McGregor 70
    Mallan 87

Neil Lennon had left the building and Eddie May and Grant Murray were in charge

Substitute Olly Shaw equalised a St Mirren first half goal with a composed finish. Darren McGregor scored from a corner when he was first to react to a loose ball in the St Mirren box to send a drive high into the net. Former St Mirren player Stevie Mallan secured all three points with a neat finish from the edge of the box

https://youtu.be/Q7Ae8DNoCQk

Hibs Rocky Gray McGregor Hanlon Whittaker Bartley Gauld Slivka Mallan Horgan and Kamberi

Subs Shaw Omeonga Mackie

Att 5650

27/1/2010 Celtic 1 v 2 Hibernian

Stokes
    Galbraith

John Hughes’ HIBS side were Championship contenders as they made the journey along the M8

Dejavu must have set in for the HIBS fans as Marc-Antoine Fortune gave Celtic the lead in 5 minutes following a Caddis corner

Talisman Anthony Stokes equalised for HIBS after 25 minutes when he flicked home a Derek Riordan corner

After that it was pretty much backs to the wall with Chris Hogg and Ian Murray orchestrating the HIBS defence and ex Celt Liam Miller pulling the strings in midfield

Just when it looked as though things were going to fizzle out for a draw Anthony Stokes shocked Tony Mowbray’s troops in the last minute when he sprung the offside trap on the counterattack threading the perfect ball through to substitute Danny Galbraith on the left hand side of the Celtic box who drilled an unstoppable drive low into Artur Boruc’s bottom left hand corner

Hibs would suffer their annual dip in form after this game but still had enough points in the bag to finish fourth and qualify for Europe

Hibs Smith Hogg Murray Hanlon Rankin McBride Wotherspoon Miller Nish Riordan and Stokes

Subs Galbraith Stevenson

Att 41000

27/1/2007 Scottish League SPL

Hibernian 2 v 0 Motherwell

Scott Brown 66
    Benji 90

An appalling first half with Ivan Sproule to the rescue with two second half assists

HIBS McNeil Whittaker Martis Jones Murphy Brown Stewart Thomson Stevenson Sproule and Fletcher

Subs Boozy Benji Shiels

Att 14280

27/1/2001 Scottish Cup Round 3

Hibernian 6 v 1 Clyde

Laursen 22
    Jack 28
    Sauzee 45
    Paatelainen 46
    Lehmann 59 63

HIBS pounded the Clyde goal and the big surprise was that it took them 22 minutes to open their account when Ulrik Laursen scored with a header following a corner. Matty Jack scored a rare goal with a volley and Le God chipped in with a freekick just before half-time

Mixu extended HIBS ‘ lead just after the break and Dirk Lehmann making a rare start added a double the first a cute lob the second a spectacular strike

After 20 minutes of exhibition football Mark McLaughlin scored a late consolation for the visitors

Hibs would reach the Scottish Cup Final in this season

Hibs Colgan Lovell Smith Fenwick Sauzee Laursen Jack Latapy O’Neil Paatelainen and Lehmann

Subs Andrews Brebner Zitelli

Att 9500

27/1/1996 Scottish Cup Round 3

Hibernian 0 v 2 Kilmarnock

On a freezing cold day in a game played in a blizzard Paul Wright comes back to haunt us with two identical long range strikes past Jim Leighton that he seemed to lose in the lights both efforts coming down out of the winter sky with snow on them

Another year of pain

27/1/1973 Scottish League Division One

Hibernian 1 v 1 Dundee

Gordon 24

John Duncan gave a very good Dundee side a fourth minute lead. Alan Gordon equalised with his 31st goal of the season in all competitions but pulled a muscle in doing so and had to be replaced at half-time

This seemed to disrupt the shape of the team and HIBS lost their rhythm and there was no further scoring

Hibs Herriot Bremner Schaedler Higgins Black Blackley Edwards Hamilton Gordon Cropley and Duncan

Sub O’Rourke

Att 16000

27/1/1968 Scottish Cup Round 1

East Stirling 3 v 5 Hibernian

Stein 16 23 36
    Davis pen 30
    Cormack 38

Bob Shankly thought about resting some of his players but just as well he didn’t as the part timers of the now defunct East Stirling were up for it and put in a superb performance that made for a good old fashioned end to end Cup tie on a tight pitch seven goals being scored in an exciting first half

Jones 4 24 and Gillespie 50 for the hosts

Hibs Wilson Simpson Davis Stanton Madsen McGraw Marinello Quinn Stein Cormack and Scott

Att 3500

27/1/1951 Scottish Cup Round 1

St Mirren 1 v 1 Hibernian

Buchanan

28000 turned up at Love Street to watch the Famous Five in a match attended by the Secretary of State for Scotland

Bobby Combe picked up a severe early knock and in the days of no Subs he had to hobble out on the right wing

Archie Buchanan equalised Crowe’s opening goal for St Mirren to ensure that HIBS would live to fight another day

www.fitbastats.com
    Last edited by BILLYHIBS; 27-01-2021 at 12:40 PM.

@hibs.net private member
    Are East Stirling defunct? I thought they had been relegated out of the SPFL but were in the lower leagues.

Quote Originally Posted by PatHead View Post
    Are East Stirling defunct? I thought they had been relegated out of the SPFL but were in the lower leagues.
    Probably

Play in the Lowland League

Got a wee bit carried away

Probably

Play in the Lowland League

Got a wee bit carried away

Are they the same version of East Stirling that we played in 1968?

I remember some vague story about being moved to Clydebank and then having to create a new club under the old name.... or something like that :-)

Report from the Clyde game.

Last edited by MartinfaePorty; 27-01-2021 at 01:07 PM.

I remember some vague story about being moved to Clydebank and then having to create a new club under the old name.... or something like that :-)
    Was thinking the exact same thing when I was typing Clydebank ES

I remember going through to Kilbowie and them winning 1-0 in the Cup and having a battle on the railway line but that is another story 😃

@hibs.net private member Argylehibby's Avatar

Wish we could just just turn on the style nowadays

We just took it for granted back then
    I didn't know you had to qualify for Europe back then, I thought it just happened.

Quote Originally Posted by Argylehibby View Post
    I didn't know you had to qualify for Europe back then, I thought it just happened.
    👍🏿

@hibs.net private member BSEJVT's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    27/1/2019 Scottish League Premiership

27/1/1996 Scottish Cup Round 3

Hibernian 0 v 2 Kilmarnock

On a freezing cold day in a game played in a blizzard Paul Wright comes back to haunt us with two identical long range strikes past Jim Leighton that he seemed to lose in the lights both efforts coming down out of the winter sky with snow on them

Another year of pain

www.fitbastats.com
    That Killie game was the coldest game I have ver been at with hardly anyone there

We were in the FF Lower and my then 6 year old son and I watched the 2nd half on the TV in the concourse

Quote Originally Posted by BSEJVT View Post
    That Killie game was the coldest game I have ver been at with hardly anyone there

We were in the FF Lower and my then 6 year old son and I watched the 2nd half on the TV in the concourse
    Yip was Baltic

I always rated Paul Wright was never the same after Berry’s assault

God knows what Scotland’s #1 was doing?

I think that was the game that brought Bobby’ if you want entertainment go to the cinema ‘ Williamson to HIBS’ attention

@hibs.net private member

The Clydebank"thing" happened before 1968. To be honest I had forgotten all about that. Seemingly although Clydebank "stole" their identity the original club was never disbanded. It appears to be like us when we stopped for a season and got playing again.

To be clear it is different to Sevco who were liquidated and died, dead, defunct.

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman View Post
    Just. catching up with previous post as I’ve been preoccupied with current affairs.
    The five Patrick Thistle players with 68 caps were:-
    Alan Rough - 53
    John Hansen-2
    Alex Forsyth-10
    Ronnie Glavin- 1
    Jimmy Bone -2

The Bonnyrigg Rose player who scored in their 8-1 defeat on 21/12017 was called Hoskins.No knowledge of first name or whether he was a Jambo.
    His name is Dean Hoskins and he is a Jambo

The Clydebank"thing" happened before 1968. To be honest I had forgotten all about that. Seemingly although Clydebank "stole" their identity the original club was never disbanded. It appears to be like us when we stopped for a season and got playing again.

To be clear it is different to Sevco who were liquidated and died, dead, defunct.

Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by BSEJVT View Post

My season ticket was in row H of the old North Stand, and despite being that far back I still had snow lying on my coat.

Random memory, but that's one of the joys of this thread.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

@hibs.net private member linlithgowhibbie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eyrie View Post
    My season ticket was in row H of the old North Stand, and despite being that far back I still had snow lying on my coat.

Random memory, but that's one of the joys of this thread.
    My son and eldest daughter were the mascots that day, I was sitting in the very back row of the old stand and got snowed on, absolutely baltic. My kids were frozen blue by the time they got off the pitch.

28/1/2020 Scottish Cup Round 4 Replay

Hibernian 4 v 2 Dundee United

Allan pen 40
    Doidge 60 73 91

Cracking match in which Christian Doidge proved who the better of the two strikers was

The difference for me on the night was the gulf between Premiership and Championship

https://youtu.be/WtzW2Wx5iWQ

Hibs Rocky James Jackson Hanlon Stevenson Whittaker Newell Boyle Allan Horgan and Doidge

Subs Kamberi Murray Hallberg

Att 10500

28/1/2017 Scottish League Championship

Queen Of The South 0 v 1 Hibernian

McGinn 52

John McGinn’s solitary strike from a well worked James Keatings corner was enough to bag all three points for the Hibees

28/1/2012 Scottish League SPL

Rangers 4 v 0 Hibernian

Hibs’ new signing from Coventry City James McPake is sent off after 71 minutes on his debut

This would be the last time that HIBS would play Oldco Rangers as hibs finished in the bottom six come the playoffs

28/1/1997 Scottish Cup Round 3 Replay

Aberdeen 0 v 0 Hibernian ( Hibernian won 5-3 AET and penalties )

https://youtu.be/QlSlja_dfsY

Hibs Leighton Miller Love Grant Dennis McLaughlin Cameron Miller Harper Jackson and McGinlay

Subs C Jackson Welsh

Att 15500

28/1/1995 Scottish Cup Round 3

Montrose 0 v 2 Hibernian

McGinlay
    Jackson

Taxi for Farrell as David Farrell sent off

https://youtu.be/GXOkkyoZ-Uw

HIBS Leighton Miller Mitchell McGinlay Tweed Farrell McAllister Evans Wright Jackson and Tortolano

Sub Findlay

Att 3812

28/1/1991 Scottish Cup Round 3

Clyde 0 v 2 Hibernian

W Miller
    Houchen

28/1/1990 Tennents Sixes Final

Hibernian 2 v 0 St Mirren

Kano
    Collins

Kano was the tournaments top goal scorer with 8 goals only being denied a ninth when the hooter went before the ball crossed the line in the final

28/1/1989 Scottish Cup 3

Hibernian 1 v 0 Brechin City

John Collins

28/1/1984 Scottish Cup Round 3

Hibernian 0 v 0 East Fife

HIBS were unable to find a way past Gordon Marshall Jnr and would go out of the competition 0-2 in the replay

They say that every cloud has a silver lining and HIBS would find theirs in young Methil striker Gordon Durie

28/1/1981 Scottish Cup Round 3 Replay

Dunfermline 1 v 2 Hibernian AET

Rae
    Callachan

Gordon Rae with the opener then gives away a 90th minute penalty to push the game into extra time
    Credited with an assist for Ralph Callachan’s extra time winner

28/1/1979 Scottish Cup Round 3

Dunfermline Athletic 1 v 1 Hibernian

Higgins

Hibs would reach the final in this year

28/1/1978 Scottish Cup Round 3

Hibernian 4 v 0 East Fife

Macleod 2
    Duncan
    McGhee

East Fife Manager Dave Clarke’s first game in charge after Roy Barry resigned

28/1/1967 Scottish Cup Round 1

Hibernian 2 v 0 Brechin City

Cormack 40
    O’Rourke 56

Brechin City Manager Sandy Henderson was the star of the show pulling off many spectacular saves including saving a Joe Davis penalty

He was beaten however by a Peter Cormack diving header just before half-time and a Jimmy O’Rourke counter

Transistor Radios were working overtime at 4.40 pm with the news : Berwick Rangers 1 v 0 Rangers

28/1/1961 Scottish Cup Round 1

Clyde 0 v 2 Hibernian

Macleod
    J Baker

28/1/1956 Scottish League Division One

Hibernian 7 v Motherwell

Turnbull 3 (1 pen)
    Mulkerrin
    Smith
    Combe
    Reilly

Gordon Smith ‘The Prince Of Wingers ‘ scored one and laid on no less than five goals

Birthdays

Abdessalam Benjelloun

At Easter Road They Play John Campbell

www.fitbastats.com
    Last edited by BILLYHIBS; 28-01-2021 at 06:06 PM.

Think that Clyde game was at Firhill. Absolutely Baltic. Also think it was Miller's first goal for Hibs - a cross-cum-shot (to be generous) that deceived the keeper.

Edit: 1991 Clyde game obviously

Quote Originally Posted by MartinfaePorty View Post
    Think that Clyde game was at Firhill. Absolutely Baltic. Also think it was Miller's first goal for Hibs - a cross-cum-shot (to be generous) that deceived the keeper.

Edit: 1991 Clyde game obviously
    Always liked Willie Miller bit of a radge but thought he would have hung about longer

Hey ho!

Always liked Willie Miller bit of a radge but thought he would have hung about longer

Hey ho!
    Aye, so did I. Joined Dundee after relegation, got injured and don't think he really played much after that. My father-in-law says he was a good tennis player in his youth, apparently!

I was at that replay at East End Park in '81 with my Dad.

I mentioned previously how low the crowd was at the first game at ER and I'm sure there was about 2-3k more at this one.

Strangely, it was quite common then to play in front of poor crowds at ER but pretty decent attendances, with a big travelling Hibs support, when we played the same teams away from home.