hibs.net Messageboard

Page 24 of 93 FirstFirst ... 1422232425263474 ... LastLast
    @hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gbhibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yes it was a well known at the time he also did not like East of Scotland teams especially us. My father heard many stories about him amongst the referee fraternity.It was amazing in these days the number of refs were areas around Glasgow. Bothwell Rutherglen Bishopbriggs etc. Bob Valentine was listed as Dundee although he lived in Broughty Ferry.
    Just saying like!!!
    Still exactly the same now pretty much all top refs from Glasgow and Lanarkshire. There was only one ref who reffed the Scottish cup final in 100 years who was from Edinburgh absolute scandal.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member lapsedhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    ” PUNCHINELLO ROCKS THE ‘GERS!”

Hibs Marshall Shevlane Jones Blackley Black Stanton Marinello Hamilton McBride Cormack and Stevenson
    Don't remember Jones at all. What was his first name?

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lapsedhibee View Post
    Don't remember Jones at all. What was his first name?
    Mervyn Jones nephew of John Greig

Played 37 sold to Falkirk

[QUOTE=lapsedhibee;6332630]Don't remember Jones at all. What was his first name?[/QUOTE

Made a great cross against Aberdeen for Joe Baker to score on his return to the club.

Is there anything you don't know about Hibs?

Is there anything you don't know about Hibs?
    They used to call me BILLYHIBS at school back in 1970 ��

www.fitbastats.com
    Last edited by BILLYHIBS; 20-10-2020 at 07:27 PM.

Blog Entries

Merv is a great guy & a big Hibby. He was a fine player also & a bit unlucky in that Hibs signed the legend Erich Schaedler to compete for the LB position.

Quote Originally Posted by brog View Post
    Merv is a great guy & a big Hibby. He was a fine player also & a bit unlucky in that Hibs signed the legend Erich Schaedler to compete for the LB position.
    👍🏿

Yip! Don’t think he did much wrong tbh

Anytime I saw him anyways

Quote Originally Posted by ancient hibee View Post
    Made a great cross against Aberdeen for Joe Baker to score on his return to the club.
    Was at the game and remember Joe scoring but no recollection whatsoever of Jones!

Did Joe not have the mutton chops (sideburns) and sure he wore white football boots(unusual in those days) Boots came in black or black and white and stylo had a boot which was almost the colour of the hearts top with laces on the side of the boot. Bobby Clark had broke a record of not conceding a goal 6 or 7 games. We put an end to that.
    Last edited by gbhibby; 21-10-2020 at 12:24 AM.

@hibs.net private member
    Did Joe not have the mutton chops (sideburns) and sure he wore white football boots(unusual in those days) Boots came in black or black and white and stylo had a boot which was almost the colour of the hearts top with laces on the side of the boot. Bobby Clark had broke a record of not conceding a goal 6 or 7 games. We put an end to that.
    12 games....it was a record at the time...Stanton scored , followed by Joe....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    12 games....it was a record at the time...Stanton scored , followed by Joe....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Was at that game and had skipped school to watch Baker train the week previous. Quite a crowd at Hunters Hall that previous week. Mostly guys way older than me to whom Joe was a superstar - and he was a bone fide superstar.

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk

21/10/2017 Scottish League Cup Semi Final

Celtic 4 v 2 Hibernian

Stokes pen 59
    Shaw 70

21/10/2001 Scottish League SPL

Hibernian 2 v 1 Hearts

De La Cruz 2

What a start! Ulises De La Cruz scores after 36 seconds with a shot past Anti Niemi after accepting a pass from Alen Orman He made it two on 23 minutes when he got on the end of a deflected pass across goal from Paco Luna for a tap in

Steven Simmons scored for Hearts

Full Match :

https://youtu.be/_ukHrCJ_rhc

Hibs Colgan Fenwick Orman Sauzee Laursen Murray De La Cruz Brebner O’Neil Brewster and Luna

Subs McManus Zitelli

Att 13774

21/10/1995 Scottish League Premier Division

Hibernian 4 v 2 Motherwell

Jackson 2 (1 pen )
    Wright
    O’Neill

https://youtu.be/OxwQFyiEdW4

Hibs Leighton Dods Tortolano McGinlay Tweed Hunter McAllister Harper Wright Jackson and O’Neil

Subs C Jackson, Donald and Evans

Att 10000

21/10/1978 Scottish League Premier Division

Hibernian 1 v 1 Dundee United

Rae

A Gordon Rae long range effort in 36 minutes against joint leaders Dundee United opened the scoring

Graham Payne equalised for United on 74 minutes

Hibs McDonald Duncan Smith Bremner Stewart McNamara Rae MacLeod Hutchinson Callachan and Higgins

Subs Temperley Murray

Att 8290

21/10/1972 Scottish League Division One

Hibernian 3 v 1 Partick Thistle

Gordon 2
    Duncan

The Tornadoes were starting to click with the same eleven starting in 10 of the last 13 games

Alex Edwards was superb in this game pulling the strings in midfield His distribution was magnificent ensuring a comfortable win for the Hibees Probably one of the best players never to have got a Scotland cap imho

Joe Craig scored for Thistle

Hibs Herriot Brownlie Schaedler Stanton Black Blackley Edwards O’Rourke Gordon Cropley and Duncan

Att 9197

21/10/1967 Scottish League Division One

St Johnstone 2 v 3 Hibernian

Stein 2
    Stevenson

St Johnstone were flying in the League undefeated and had defeated Dundee 4-1 the previous week at Dens Park

A quickfire double from Colin Stein burst their bubble Gordon pulled one back for Saints Eric Stevenson increased HIBS’ lead into the second half and a late strike from McPhee was not enough to save Saints

Hibs Allan Simpson Davis Stanton Madsen McGraw Scott Quinn Stein Cormack and Stevenson

Att 5500

21/10/1944 Scottish Southern League

Hibernian 8 v 0 Partick Thistle

Devlin 3
    Milne 2
    Bogan 2
    Smith

www.fitbastats.com
    Last edited by BILLYHIBS; 21-10-2020 at 09:57 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    Was at that game and had skipped school to watch Baker train the week previous. Quite a crowd at Hunters Hall that previous week. Mostly guys way older than me to whom Joe was a superstar - and he was a bone fide superstar.

My other memory of that game is a well known supporter running on to the pitch before the start & kneeling & bowing in front of Joe!! To put Joe's popularity in perspective, over 23k turned up for his return, a few weeks earlier only 5k turned up for our home game against Dundee Utd. As you say, a bona fide superstar.

A George Best like turnout. Didnt realise that Brog, great info.

My other memory of that game is a well known supporter running on to the pitch before the start & kneeling & bowing in front of Joe!! To put Joe's popularity in perspective, over 23k turned up for his return, a few weeks earlier only 5k turned up for our home game against Dundee Utd. As you say, a bona fide superstar.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    19 years since De La Cruz derby. Scary

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    Best thread on here, love reading folks memories and following some of the links posted.

Thanks for putting the effort in each day.

My memory of Joe Baker’s debut is Football Focus doing a short film on Bobby Clark’s shut out record something like 19 hours without conceding a goal

Talk about tempting fate King Paddy was to end it on the 64th minute

Bobby Clark’s record stood until Manchester United’s Edwin Van Der Saar broke it in February 2009

Celtic’s Fraser Forster beat the Scottish League record in 2014 until ironically his run was stopped by Aberdeen’s Johnny Hayes

https://www.afc.co.uk/2018/09/11/bob...hall-not-pass/

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    A George Best like turnout. Didnt realise that Brog, great info.

I'm not saying Joe was my hero but I got married on his birthday & got a telegram from him! 😁

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    The game v Aberdeen is my first memory of going to Easter Road, aged around 7. I always remembered the white boots. We also stood in the old North Enclosure that day, a rare experience as my Dad and Grandad were East Terracing guys.

Looking at his stats, Joe scored 12 in 20 League games for Hibs that season. Then was emptied by Eddie Turnbull. I wonder why that was? He went on to score 34 in 42 games for Raith on his departure. That suggests he had a wee bit left in the tank still?

@hibs.net private member MartinfaePorty's Avatar
    My memory of Joe Baker’s debut is Football Focus doing a short film on Bobby Clark’s shut out record something like 19 hours without conceding a goal

Talk about tempting fate King Paddy was to end it on the 64th minute

Bobby Clark’s record stood until Manchester United’s Edwin Van Der Saar broke it in February 2009

Celtic’s Fraser Forster beat the Scottish League record in 2014 until ironically his run was stopped by Aberdeen’s Johnny Hayes

https://www.afc.co.uk/2018/09/11/bob...hall-not-pass/
    I always thought Chris Woods broke Clark's record, with his run ended by Adrian Sprott for Hamilton in their famous Scottish cup win at Ibrox?

Quote Originally Posted by superfurryhibby View Post
    The game v Aberdeen is my first memory of going to Easter Road, aged around 7. I always remembered the white boots. We also stood in the old North Enclosure that day, a rare experience as my Dad and Grandad were East Terracing guys.

Looking at his stats, Joe scored 12 in 20 League games for Hibs that season. Then was emptied by Eddie Turnbull. I wonder why that was? He went on to score 34 in 42 games for Raith on his departure. That suggests he had a wee bit left in the tank still?

Joe and Eddie were not bosom buddies going back to when they played together and then when Eddie was trainer. Joe got kicked up and down Ibrox by McKinven (I think)and it did for his ankle.Gordon had already arrived and Turnbull decided to move Joe on. Probably a mistake.When Joe worked in hospitality at ER he was great company.He thought Hibs should pay his expenses to travel through. The club refused-astonishing.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by MartinfaePorty View Post
    I always thought Chris Woods broke Clark's record, with his run ended by Adrian Sprott for Hamilton in their famous Scottish cup win at Ibrox?
    I thought Chris Woods record was ended at Easter Road. Obviously wishful thinking!😂

Quote Originally Posted by MartinfaePorty View Post
    Fraser Forster 1215 minutes in League games

Chris Woods 1196 minutes

I always thought Bobby Clark was 1200 and something??

Van Der Saar had the odd weekend off so that surely disnae count 😃
    Last edited by BILLYHIBS; 21-10-2020 at 10:18 AM.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    21/10/1995 Scottish League Premier Division

Hibernian 4 v 2 Motherwell

Jackson 2 (1 pen )
    Wright
    O’Neil

https://youtu.be/OxwQFyiEdW4

Watching those highlights we had quite a swish looking studio block in the west/ff corner - whatever happened to that?

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Joe and Eddie were not bosom buddies going back to when they played together and then when Eddie was trainer. Joe got kicked up and down Ibrox by McKinven (I think)and it did for his ankle.Gordon had already arrived and Turnbull decided to move Joe on. Probably a mistake.When Joe worked in hospitality at ER he was great company.He thought Hibs should pay his expenses to travel through. The club refused-astonishing.
    Cheers Ancient. That makes sense. I’ve never read the Fabulous Baker Boys book, I’d imagine that will cover the issues you mention.

I wonder if Eddie actually got on with anyone? No doubting his record as a player and as a manager, but just about every interview, ex players suggest his man management skills were lacking at Hibs. He was obviously desperate to succeed at Hibs and maybe the burden of his own history at the club weighed too heavy on him?

When you hear guys he managed at Aberdeen mention him, like Harper and Buchan, it is always with great reverence.
    Last edited by superfurryhibby; 21-10-2020 at 06:13 PM.

Blog Entries
    You're spot on about the (one way) rivalry between Ned & Joe. We have to remember that when Joe was a toddler, Eddie was serving on the Arctic convoys & Eddie was twice Joe's age when Joe broke into the 1st team. There really was a generational gap, Eddie was symptomatic of the pre war look, flannels, collar & tie while Joe had the Elvis quiff!! I also felt that Eddie regarded friendliness as displaying weakness while Joe went out his way to be friendly & helpful. At the end of the day, both great servants to Hibs though Joe's departure could have been handled much better.

Quote Originally Posted by superfurryhibby View Post
    Cheers Ancient. That makes sense. I’ve never read the Fabulous Baker Boys book, I’d imagine that will cover the issues you mention.

I wonder if Eddie actually got on with anyone? No doubting his record as a player and as a manager, but just about every interview, ex players suggest his man management skills were lacking at Hibs. He was obviously desperate to succeed at Hibs and maybe the burden of his own history at the club weighed to heavy on him?

When you hear guys he managed at Aberdeen mention him, like Harper and Buchan, it is always with great reverence.
    You're spot on about the (one way) rivalry between Ned & Joe. We have to remember that when Joe was a toddler, Eddie was serving on the Arctic convoys & Eddie was twice Joe's age when Joe broke into the 1st team. There really was a generational gap, Eddie was symptomatic of the pre war look, flannels, collar & tie while Joe had the Elvis quiff!! I also felt that Eddie regarded friendliness as displaying weakness while Joe went out his way to be friendly & helpful. At the end of the day, both great servants to Hibs though Joe's departure could have been handled much better.
    I think Eddie was pretty insistent on it being his way or else but as he would be carrying the can that’s understandable.Managing players who were developing during the more relaxed ‘60s would be difficult.He was a great player and coach and at his peak was terrific at the most important part of the job-putting the right team on the park.
    Joe was so popular because as teenagers we had been used to watching players in their late twenties and early thirties-almost pensioners when you’re fifteen. Suddenly here was one of us terrifying defences all over Scotland.He was fast,brave and good looking-how could he fail.Great days.