hibs.net Messageboard

Page 21 of 93 FirstFirst ... 1119202122233171 ... LastLast
    I was standing not far from the post and I remember vividly McGraw colliding with the post as he scored.He was very brave particularly bearing in mind how bad an injury he was carrying.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ancient hibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I was standing not far from the post and I remember vividly McGraw colliding with the post as he scored.He was very brave particularly bearing in mind how bad an injury he was carrying.

Remember him sliding in against the post right enough

Like Bobby Duncan’s long range effort versus Naples getting further and further out some folk even have Alan McGraw coming on with a full stookie

10/10/1998 Scottish League Division One

Stranraer 0 v 1 Hibernian

Lovell

Hibs gain revenge for a shock opening day 1-2 reverse at Easter Road with a late Archie goal

We didn’t know it at the time but champions elect Hibernian were already well into a 22 game unbeaten run under the ginger one

10/10/1987 Scottish League Premier Division Match Day 12

Hibernian 4 v 0 Dunfermline Athletic

Kano
    May
    McCluskey
    Collins

Andy Goram signed from Oldham Athletic for £325,000 made his debut in this match our record victory in this season all four goals coming inside the first 28 minutes

Hibs: Goram Sneddon Mitchell May Rae Hunter Kane Orr McCluskey Collins and Watson

Subs Bell McBride

Att: 9286

Q. Prior to this game when was the last time HIBS scored four goals inside the first 28 minutes?

10/10/1981 Scottish League Premier Division

Hibernian 4 v 0 Morton

Gary Murray
    Flavell
    MacLeod
    Callachan

Hibs made it a miserable return to Easter Road for goalkeeper Roy Baines

Gary Murray might have had a hat-trick but struck the crossbar twice

Morton had ex Hearts man Drew Busby and the enigma that was Andy Ritchie in their team

10/10/1973 Scottish League Cup Round 2 Leg 2

Raith Rovers 0 v 2 Hibernian (2-5)

Schaedler
    Gordon

10/10/1964 Scottish League Division One

Rangers 2 v 4 Hibernian

Cormack 2
    Hamilton
    Quinn

Fresh from their 2-0 victory over Real Madrid Jock Stein took his HIBS team to Ibrox and kept them guessing with a new look 4-2-4 formation in which Willie Hamilton and Pat Quinn ran the show.

Even at 1-2 down HIBS played with a calmness and quiet authority and they seemed to know that if they just kept going about their business playing with confidence the goals would come -they just knew that they were the better team - and come they did with a double from young Peter Cormack a flying diving header from Willie Hamilton and a goal from Pat Quinn

Call it the Jock Stein factor

Hibs Wilson Fraser Parke Stanton McNamee Baxter Cormack Hamilton Scott Quinn and Martin

Att 36607

Birthdays :

Thomas Agyepong

www.fitbastats.com
    Last edited by BILLYHIBS; 10-10-2020 at 02:13 PM.

1/1/73.

1/1/73.
    Nope Cropley scored the fourth in the 35th minute with that superb left foot volley

Good question eh?

Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    Nope Cropley scored the fourth in the 35th minute with that superb left foot volley

Good question eh?
    I was starting the count from when O’Rourke scored in which case it was 5 in 28.

How about the game when O’Rourke and Stevenson scored their doubles?

I was starting the count from when O’Rourke scored in which case it was 5 in 28.

How about the game when O’Rourke and Stevenson scored their doubles?
    👍🏿

4 goals inside 10 minutes

First Team Breakthrough cal-d hibs's Avatar
    Goram pulled off an amazing save in the last minute of the Pars game, 4-0 up and the keeper made the save, knew then we had another gem after Roughie.

Quote Originally Posted by cal-d hibs View Post
    Goram pulled off an amazing save in the last minute of the Pars game, 4-0 up and the keeper made the save, knew then we had another gem after Roughie.
    Yip!

Looked quality from Day 1

11/10/2014 Scottish League Championship Match Day 9

Hibernian 0 v 0 Dumbarton

Alan Stubbs’ HIBS side were chasing runaway leaders Hearts in the Championship race.

HIBS ‘ task became even more difficult when the Referee refused to award a goal from Dom Malonga’s penalty kick that appeared to have crossed the line against Ian Murray’s Dumbarton side

Hibs only had themselves to blame as they passed up 4-5 chances to win this game

11/10/2002 KEVIN McALLISTER TESTIMONIAL

Falkirk 1 v 1 Hibernian

Gordon Strachan plays for HIBS

Q. Anyone know who scored the goals in this game?

11/10/1980 Scottish League Division One

Hibernian 2 v 0 Falkirk

Connolly
    Jamieson

George Best played his last game for HIBS

11/10/1972 Scottish League Cup Quarter Final Leg 1

Airdrieonians 2 v 6 Hibernian

Duncan 3
    Brownlie 2
    O’Rourke pen

Iconic away performance by the Tornadoes every player was totally outstanding against an Airdrieonians side that had become something of a bogey team

John Brownlie returned to the ground where he was a ballboy and was outstanding scoring a double

Full highlights available on the Turnbull’s Tornadoes video

11/10/1969 Scottish League Division One

Rangers 1 v 3 Hibernian

Marinello 2
    McBride

HIBS went to Ibrox in confident mood sitting proudly at the top of the table after having already defeated both Celtic and Hearts

Manager Willie MacFarlane got the players to swap jerseys prior to kick off with instructions to confuse the Rangers defenders even further during the game by interchanging positions.

Eric Stevenson grabbed the number 9 jersey and kicked off as centre forward.

Rangers debutante fullback Brian Herron couldn’t handle the pace and ball wizardry of Peter Marinello as he ran through the middle of the Rangers defence in the centre forward position - ripping them a new one and scoring two first half goals. Willie Johnston replying for Rangers.

Joe McBride increased HIBS’ lead in the second half

I can still remember the headlines in that evenings Edinburgh Evening Pink News:

” PUNCHINELLO ROCKS THE ‘GERS!”

Hibs Marshall Shevlane Jones Blackley Black Stanton Marinello Hamilton McBride Cormack and Stevenson

Sub Madsen

Att 54000

11/10/1952 Scottish League Division One

Rangers 1 v 2 Hibernian

Reilly
    Turnbull

Hibs totally dominated the play in front of 60000 at Ibrox

Grierson struck first for Rangers but Lawrie Reilly equalised just before half time Eddie Turnbull hammered home a fierce drive in the second half to seal the points

11/10/1947 Scottish League Division One

Hibernian 6 v 0 Queen Of The South

Reilly 3
    Combe
    Turnbull
    Ormond

One of only three games that Smith Reilly Turnbull and Ormond played together in this Championship winning season and the only game that they actually won

Jock Govan got MOM for his overlapping runs and assists despite Reilly’s hat-trick

Birthdays:

Ronnie Simpson RIP

Brian Rice

Matt Thornhill

www.fitbastats.com
    Last edited by BILLYHIBS; 11-10-2020 at 03:12 PM.

11/10/2002 KEVIN McALLISTER TESTIMONIAL

Falkirk 1 v 1 Hibernian

Gordon Strachan plays for HIBS

Q. Anyone know who scored the goals in this game?

McAllister scored a penalty for the Bairns (I think)

Quote Originally Posted by Keith_M View Post
    McAllister scored a penalty for the Bairns (I think)
    Sounds about right in a testimonial

Any idea who scored for HIBS?

@hibs.net private member linlithgowhibbie's Avatar

Rangers 2 v 4 Hibernian

Cormack 2
    Hamilton
    Quinn

Fresh from their 2-0 victory over Real Madrid Jock Stein took his HIBS team to Ibrox and kept them guessing with a new look 4-2-4 formation in which Willie Hamilton and Pat Quinn ran the show.

Even at 1-2 down HIBS played with a calmness and quiet authority and they seemed to know that if they just kept going about their business playing with confidence the goals would come -they just knew that they were the better team - and come they did with a double from young Peter Cormack a flying diving header from Willie Hamilton and a goal from Pat Quinn

Hibs Wilson Fraser Parke Stanton McNamee Baxter Cormack Hamilton Scott Quinn and Martin

Att 36607

This was my first visit to Ibrox and as a 8 year old,,,, wow, seat in the centre stand with my dad and a work friend of his who was stauncher than staunch. Being 8 I didn't know that you didn't cheer when Hibs scored. It was the fist time I had been called a little fen@@@ barsteward and we were all threatened. I just didn't understand the hate!

I've loathed them ever since. PS we beat them 3 times that season.

@hibs.net private member MartinfaePorty's Avatar
    Sounds about right in a testimonial

Any idea who scored for HIBS?
    Mixu, with a header IIRC, to equalise. I gave up a night out with work that had a free bar to go through. It was also peeing with rain, but none of that was going to stop me paying tribute to a fantastic player. Had a few pints in The Drookit Duck after to dry off!

Quote Originally Posted by MartinfaePorty View Post
    Mixu, with a header IIRC, to equalise. I gave up a night out with work that had a free bar to go through. It was also peeing with rain, but none of that was going to stop me paying tribute to a fantastic player. Had a few pints in The Drookit Duck after to dry off!

Was thinking Mixu or Keith Keith Keith Keith!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by linlithgowhibbie View Post

Rangers 2 v 4 Hibernian

Cormack 2
    Hamilton
    Quinn

Att 36607

This was my first visit to Ibrox and as a 8 year old,,,, wow, seat in the centre stand with my dad and a work friend of his who was stauncher than staunch. Being 8 I didn't know that you didn't cheer when Hibs scored. It was the fist time I had been called a little fen@@@ barsteward and we were all threatened. I just didn't understand the hate!

I've loathed them ever since. PS we beat them 3 times that season.

I think we all have similar stories to tell in games involving that vile horrible club through in the Weedge

12/10/1997 Craig Levein Testimonial # 2

Hearts 0 v 1 Hibernian

Newman

Hibs team included John Collins and John Leslie

Att: 9000

12/10/1996 Scottish League Premier Division Match Day 8

Hibernian 2 v 1 Rangers

Jackson pen
    Donald

Jocky Scott was in temporary charge after Alex Miller had resigned

Rangers took the lead after 13 minutes with a howitzer of a free-kick that Jim Leighton didn’t even move for from Jorg Albertz

Second half HIBS came out the traps flying with Kevin Harper and Darren Jackson terrorising the Rangers defence going down the slope After 60 minutes Darren Jackson in full flow got pulled down just outside the box but landing well inside the box the Referee awarded a penalty 1-1 Oh Ah Jackson Ah! Three minutes later HIBS took the lead when Graeme Donald got on the end of a brilliant team passing move and found himself with a tap-in in front of goal past Andy Goram

Scenes in the closing stages when the Referee obviously trying to even things up awards Rangers a penalty and Brian Laudrup uncharacteristically steps up and misses The Referee orders a retake for encroachment and Jim Leighton pulls off a fantastic save

Hibs Leighton Miller Donald C Jackson Dods Hunter Cameron Wilkins Harper Jackson and McGinlay

Subs Millen McAllister Dow

Att 12500

12/10/1991 Scottish League Premier Division Match Day 12

St Mirren 0 v 1 Hibernian

Tommy McIntyre

12/10/1985 Scottish League Premier Division Match Day 10

Hibernian 1 v 1 Aberdeen

Cowan 25

A Skol Cup Final dress rehearsal and a match played in brilliant sunshine in front of a deserted East as it was getting a new roof fitted.

Hibs were hoping to transfer their brilliant League Cup form to the League and they got off to the perfect start when Stevie Cowan scored against his old club heading in a Brazil free-kick off the underside of Jim Leighton’s crossbar.

Aberdeen were struggling to cope with the pace and power of Gordon Durie’s runs as he continually stretched their defence but slowly but surely Aberdeen were starting to gain the upper hand in the match

Late into the second half and running out of ideas, Alan Rough twice denying Billy Stark with brilliant saves, Alex Ferguson introduced BP Youth Cup winning youngsters Paul Wright and Steven Gray into the fray and it was the latter now sadly deceased who snatched the equaliser for the Dons latching onto a brilliant Neale Cooper through ball to score past Rough from the edge of the box with a low right footed drive

Hibs Rough Sneddon Munro Brazil Rae Hunter Kane Chisholm Cowan Durie and McBride

Att 10000

12/10/1974 Scottish League Division One

Hibernian 6 v 2 Motherwell

Munro 2
    Stanton
    Spalding
    Cropley
    Gordon

12/10/1965 Inter Cities Fairs Cup Round 1 Leg 2

Valencia 2 v 0 Hibernian ( Agg 2-2 )

Hibs defending a 2-0 lead held out for 14 minutes when Waldo stepped up and curled a free-kick round the wall and into the net. HIBS defended heroically and Willie Wilson performed miracles in goal but there was little he could do in 74 minutes when Baxter gave away a penalty when he committed a foul in the box Sanchez-Lage stepping up to convert the award

HIBS lost the toss and would have to return to the Mestalla for the replay

12/10/1955 European Champions Cup Round 1 Leg 2

Hibernian 1 v 1 Rot-Weiss Essen ( Agg 5-1)

Jock Buchanan becomes the first player to score in the European Cup on British soil when he finished off a brilliant move after only 5 minutes

Goalkeeper Willie Adams plays his first and last game for HIBS

7/10/1978 Scottish League Premier Division

Motherwell 2 v 3 Hibernian

Hutchinson
    MacLeod pen
    Rae

Interesting footage already reported from this game played 42 years ago

https://youtu.be/CnFn0DB1Zmk

Birthdays:

Joe McClelland RIP

Tom Smith

Brian Kerr

Hibernian On This Day Colquhoun and Sinnet

www.fitbastats.com
    Last edited by BILLYHIBS; 12-10-2021 at 07:57 AM.

Joe McClelland-a custom built left back. I remember he scored a cracking goal against Bolton in a friendly-cut along the penalty area and smashed it in.We won 5-2 I think. As the guy standing next to me said "he kicked that as hard as he kicks wingers". I'm pretty sure he worked in the furniture department of the Store in Junction Street after he retired.

12/10/1997 Craig Levein Testimonial

Hearts 0 v 1 Hibernian

Newman

Hibs team included John Collins and John Leslie

Att: 9000

www.fitbastats.com
    Had forgotten that one, not sure why he got two testimonials?

Recall they were given a good hiding in front of a sparse crowd of 3,000 or so at the first one.

Quote Originally Posted by Nakedmanoncrack View Post
    Had forgotten that one, not sure why he got two testimonials?

Recall they were given a good hiding in front of a sparse crowd of 3,000 or so at the first one.
    👍🏿

13/10/2006

Tony Mowbray leaves the club to join West Bromwich Albion one month after signing a 12 month rolling contract

Q. Who took charge of first team affairs after Mogga left?

13/10/1990 Scottish League Premier Division Match Day 8

Dundee United 1 v 0 Hibernian

In a statement of intent HIBS gave a debut to German Cup and Super Cup winner Murdo MacLeod recently signed from Borussia Dortmund

Cheered on by a large vociferous travelling support it looked as though HIBS were going to hang on for a valuable point against table topping Dundee United that was until the 89th minute when full back Willie Miller inexplicably diverted a long clearance from United keeper Alan Main over the head of Andy Goram and into the unguarded net

13/10/1973 Scottish League First Division

Hibernian 2 v 0 Falkirk

Higgins
    Gordon

13/10/1971 European Championship Qualifiers

Scotland 2 v 1 Portugal

O’Hare 23
    Gemmill 56

Alexander James Cropley makes his debut for Scotland at Hampden Park and lines up in the same team as Patrick Gordon Stanton

This match is interesting as it is the first game in which English born players were allowed to play for Scotland : Bob Wilson and Alex Cropley

Alex Cropley would break his ankle in his second and last game for Scotland versus Belgium at Pittodrie giving a debut to a young Kenny Dalglish

Scotland: Wilson Jardine Colquhoun Stanton Hay Bremner Cropley Graham Johnstone O’Hare and Gemmill

Subs Buchan for Colquhoun

Att 58500

13/10/1951 Scottish League Division One

Hibernian 1 v 0 Morton

Hibs were going neck and neck for the Championship with early leaders East Fife in this season and Morton were proving a tough nut to crack with their goalkeeper Jimmy Cowan repelling everything HIBS could throw at him

On 45 minutes Eddie Turnbull swung over a free-kick, Gordon Smith rose like a salmon to bullet home a header but the Referee insisted he had already blown for half-time as soon as Turnbull took the free-kick

Into the second half and eventually HIBS’ pressure paid off much to the relief of 30000 fans when Ormond’s glancing header went beyond Cowan’s outstretched hand and into the net via the post

HIBS would win the league in this season eventually beating Rangers by 4 points

13/10/1917 Scottish League Division One

Hibernian 4 v 2 Queens Park

Willie Miller 3
    Moir

Interesting fact 4 Willie Millers have played for Hibernian 1 x Goalkeeper 1 x Defender and 2 x Forwards

13/10/1894 Scottish League Division Two

Morton 1 V 7 Hibernian

After being denied entry into the First Division after winning the Second Division the year before due to the rules at that time HIBS meant business this season thrashing Greenock Morton away scoring 92 goals in their 18 League games and winning the league by 8 points ahead of second placed Motherwell

Hibs would play Morton at the Holy Ground again in the League a week later and would win 6-3

In Colours Green and White John Campbell

www.fitbastats.com
    Last edited by BILLYHIBS; 13-10-2020 at 09:11 AM.

First Team Breakthrough green.oracle's Avatar
    I'm sure it was Mark Proctor took charge when Mowbray left.

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Forgot all about that game at Tannadice. There was a real buzz about Murdo's debut. I think Willie Miller's o.g was a volley from just inside the halfway line, utterly bizarre.

Quote Originally Posted by green.oracle View Post
    I'm sure it was Mark Proctor took charge when Mowbray left.

Sorry no

Quote Originally Posted by Hiber-nation View Post
    Forgot all about that game at Tannadice. There was a real buzz about Murdo's debut. I think Willie Miller's o.g was a volley from just inside the halfway line, utterly bizarre.
    Bizarre to say the least

Murdo must have wondered what he had come to?

He was never the same after being on the receiving end of that Brazil free-kick in Turin

7/10/1978 Scottish League Premier Division

Motherwell 2 v 3 Hibernian

Hutchinson
    MacLeod pen
    Rae

Interesting footage already reported from this game played 42 years ago

https://youtu.be/CnFn0DB1Zmk

The noise is incredibly loud for an attendance listed as only 5,500.

I used to enjoy going there and standing in the away end of the shed opposite the main stand, competing with the Motherwell fans as to who could sing the loudest.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith_M View Post
    The noise is incredibly loud for an attendance listed as only 5,500.

I used to enjoy going there and standing in the away end of the shed opposite the main stand, competing with the Motherwell fans as to who could sing the loudest.

Only seems like last week

Used to love going to away games getting there early and taking over their patch

“ Standing on a corner swinging my chain....!”

Fascinating footage

@hibs.net private member Craig_HFC's Avatar
    Sorry no
    Mark Venus?

I'm sure he was caretaker for a game or 2 before joining Mowbray at West Brom.
    PERSEVERE
    Verb: pə:ːsɪ'ˈvɪə/
    To not give up.
    To go the distance.
    To stop at nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Craig_HFC View Post
    Mark Venus?

I'm sure he was caretaker for a game or 2 before joining Mowbray at West Brom.

One game

2-2 versus Hearts

Mark Proctor took charge of the next two games :

Dunfermline 4-0

Aberdeen 1-2
    Last edited by BILLYHIBS; 14-10-2020 at 08:03 AM.

14/10/2017 Scottish League Premiership

Hibernian 0 v 1 Aberdeen

14/10/2000 Scottish League SPL

Hibernian 1 v 0 Rangers

Zitelli 22

Kenny Miller’s first game against HIBS after defecting to the Hun but won by a wonderful David Zitelli strike when he finished off an excellent move with a typical exocet shot from 22 yards that he dispatched with deadly accuracy low into the Ranger’s goalkeeper’s ( Mark Brown) bottom right hand corner

Rangers sub Andrei Kanchelskis introduced along with Kenny Miller at half-time was sent off for two bookable offences

Hibs were one point ahead of Rangers in second place before kick off so 3 points earned here was a good psychological boost

HIBS Colgan Lovell Smith Fenwick Sauzee Jack Laursen Latapy O’Neil Paatelainen and Zitelli

Sub Lehmann

Att 14500

14/10/1995 Scottish League Premier Division

Celtic 2 v 2 Hibernian

Harper
    Jackson pen

Hibs took the lead in 27 minutes when Kevin Harper scored at the back post following a Darren Dods flick on from a Kevin McAllister corner. John Collins equalised three minutes later direct from a free kick from just outside the box.

Into the second half and Pierre Van Hooijdonk gave a dominant Celtic side the lead with a well placed shot from just inside the box.

Celtic could not add to their lead and they paid the price when Darren Jackson scored his second penalty in three weeks in Glasgow to equalise when Tom Boyd tripped a grateful Gareth Evans inside the box

Hibs Leighton Dods Love McGinlay Tweed Hunter McAllister C Jackson Harper Jackson and O’Neill

Subs Wright Evans Donald

Att 34000

https://youtu.be/C8i1BmsQzh0

14/10/1989 Scottish League Premier Division

Hibernian 3 v 2 Motherwell

Weir
    Houchen
    Collins

14/10/1972 Scottish League Division One

Hibernian 5 v 2 Airdrieonians

O’Rourke 3 ( 1 pen )
    Gordon
    Duncan

Following their 6-2 win in the League Cup at Broomfield HIBS now put another five past Airdrie in the League Roddy Mackenzie must have been having nightmares

14/10/1970 Inter Cities Fairs Cup Round 2 Leg 1

Hibernian 2 v 0 Vitoria Guimaraes

Duncan
    Stanton

A last minute Pat Stanton goal to add to Arthur Duncan’s opener gave HIBS a decent lead to defend in Portugal

14/10/1967 Scottish League Division One Old

Hibernian 2 v 0 Dunfermline

Barry og
    Cormack

This game is memorable because Peter Cormack scored from just inside his own half when he noticed that Dunfermline goalkeeper Bent Martin was standing off his line

Q. What club did HIBS eventually sell Peter Cormack to ?

14/10/1963 Scottish League Cup Semi Final Replay

Hibernian 0 v 1 Morton

After drawing the first semi final 1-1 HIBS go crashing out of the Cup to Second Division Morton at Ibrox thanks to a penalty scored by future hibby Alan McGraw

14/10/1950 Scottish League Division One

Motherwell 2 v 6 Hibernian

Johnstone 2
    Ormond 2
    Turnbull pen
    Reilly

In this dress rehearsal for the 1950-51 Scottish League Cup Final the Famous Five gave Motherwell a footballing lesson and that was without the services of Gordon Smith who spent a large part of this game limping injured out on the wing

What could go wrong?

hibs Younger Govan Ogilvie Buchanan Paterson Combe Smith Johnstone Reilly Turnbull and Ormond

Att 25000

Birthdays

Benny Yorston RIP

Joe Keenan

Kevin Thomson

www.fitbastats.com
    Last edited by BILLYHIBS; 14-10-2021 at 08:54 AM.