hibs.net Messageboard

Page 19 of 93 FirstFirst ... 917181920212969 ... LastLast
    @hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nakedmanoncrack View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I've normally got a great memory of ganes from my youth, and recall this game well - concerning that such a key event has been erased!
    Struggled to find any footage of this game but remember it as being quite tense as were all Rangers games at that time

I still remember Chisholm’s header as though it was yesterday and I thought he was going to be a great player for us but the grass was greener in Dundee for whatever reason????

2. Log in to remove the advert

I remember Bobby Johnstone's return against Kille for a number of reasons. First was the gasp from 20,000 people when Bobby appeared. To say he had put on weight was the understatement of the year. Second was the magical moment about a couple of minutes in when he dribbled around a couple of guys in the centre circle,leaving one on his backside,and while facing the left wing corner flag chipped the ball forty yards with his left foot down the right wing for Joe Baker who promptly fell over it in astonishment. Later in the game we had a free kick about 30 yards which Bobby was organising while Jimmy Brown,the Killie goalie,was sorting his defence.Unnoticed by anyone John Baxter came hurtling up the park and smashed the ball straight into the net. Bobby of course went on to lay on and score numerous goals over the next few months.Happy days.

Quote Originally Posted by ancient hibee View Post
    I remember Bobby Johnstone's return against Kille for a number of reasons. First was the gasp from 20,000 people when Bobby appeared. To say he had put on weight was the understatement of the year. Second was the magical moment about a couple of minutes in when he dribbled around a couple of guys in the centre circle,leaving one on his backside,and while facing the left wing corner flag chipped the ball forty yards with his left foot down the right wing for Joe Baker who promptly fell over it in astonishment. Later in the game we had a free kick about 30 yards which Bobby was organising while Jimmy Brown,the Killie goalie,was sorting his defence.Unnoticed by anyone John Baxter came hurtling up the park and smashed the ball straight into the net. Bobby of course went on to lay on and score numerous goals over the next few months.Happy days.
    Brilliant AH, I had an Uncle who worshipped Johnstone. What was the story about him being sick on the pitch? I think people assumed he had been out on the razz the night before. Would have to have seen him play, any Hibs player who can pick a pass as his reputation suggests gets my interest.

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    Brilliant AH, I had an Uncle who worshipped Johnstone. What was the story about him being sick on the pitch? I think people assumed he had been out on the razz the night before. Would have to have seen him play, any Hibs player who can pick a pass as his reputation suggests gets my interest.
    He was pretty well known for hitting the sauce and that was alleged to be the reason behind both his departures from Easter Road. The best midfield player I've seen at Hibs(i know we always prefer our heroes from when we were young).Could pass off either foot without looking and in such a way that players could take the ball in their stride. Also one of the select few to score 100 league goals on either side of the border.

He was pretty well known for hitting the sauce and that was alleged to be the reason behind both his departures from Easter Road. The best midfield player I've seen at Hibs(i know we always prefer our heroes from when we were young).Could pass off either foot without looking and in such a way that players could take the ball in their stride. Also one of the select few to score 100 league goals on either side of the border.
    Played 263 games for HIBS scoring 142

Played 138 games for Man City scoring 51

Played 158 games for Oldham Athletic scoring 38

So just fell short of 100 goals in competitive games down south

Played 17 times for Scotland scoring 10 goals no bad for a midfielder
    Last edited by BILLYHIBS; 26-09-2020 at 04:22 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    Played 263 games for HIBS scoring 142

Played 138 games for Man City scoring 51

Played 158 games for Oldham Athletic scoring 38

So just fell short of 100 goals in competitive games down south

Played 17 times for Scotland scoring 10 goals no bad for a midfielder
    Bobby was a wonderful player but as AH says he was seriously unfit on his return. He was helped however by having the pace & youth of Joe Baker up front. Bobby ambled around the centre circle, made some space then would hit a defence splitter into Joe's path & Joe usually did the rest. Great entertainment.

27/9/2001 UEFA Cup Round 1 Leg 2

Hibernian 3 v 2 AEK Athens ( Agg 3-4 )

Luna 2
    Zitellii

HIBS had a mountain to climb after losing the first leg in Greece 0-2 against Greek cracks AEK at a sold out Easter Road

Hibs did the unthinkable on the night pulling two goals back through Paco Luna in the second half. The first when he headed in an Ian Murray flick on from a Ulysses De La Cruz cross off the underside of the bar. The second when with only nine minutes to go Ulrik Laursen headed on John O’Neil’s free kick and Luna slid in to knock the ball into the net. Luna missed a goalden opportunity to win the tie in injury time when he infamously failed to convert a diving header at the far post

Two minutes into extra time and first leg hero second half substitute Vassilis Tsartas lashed home a shot from 25 yards that silenced Easter Road. Just before the break he scored a second direct from a corner to pile on the agony

HIBS substitute David Zitelli scored a 35 yard screamer that can only be described as an Exocet with six minutes to go

The game is best remembered for Franck Sauzee booting the dug out when he had to come off injured after 80 minutes and probably the first and best ever rendition of Sunshine on Leith ever heard at Easter Road

Hibs Colgan Orman Sauzee Fenwick Laursen De La Cruz Jack O’Neil Murray Brewster and Luna

Subs Brebner McManus Zitelli

Att 17500

https://youtu.be/qvTdzQLFoV4

27/9/1980 Scottish League First Division

Hibernian 4 v 1 Clydebank

Wilson
    Rae
    MacLeod
    Connolly

New 35k signing from Arbroath Terry Wilson scores on his debut for HIBS

27/9/1975 Scottish League Premier Division Match Day 5

Hibernian 4 v 2 St Johnstone

Munro
    Duncan
    MacLeod
    Harper

St Johnstone’s goalscorers were Duncan Lambie and yes you’ve guessed it Jimmy O’Rourke who scored the only goal of the match for St Johnstone the last time he played at Easter Road for Saints

Man of the Match was Des Bremner who put in a typical action man performance

27/9/1972 European Cup Winners Cup Round One Leg 1

Hibernian 6 v 1 Sporting Lisbon ( Agg 7-3 )

O’Rourke 3
    Gordon 2
    Manaca og

All Scotland must salute Super HIBS. The Easter Road side in a night of magic gave full warning to the rest of Europe that they have well and truly arrived with a fantastic six hit performance over Sporting

The 26000 fans who roared themselves hoarse will never forget a second half that will go down in the history books. For HIBS took this Cup Winners Cup tie and their talented Portuguese opponents by the throat and converted a first leg 1-2 defeat into a magnificent triumph

Their courage was immense and in a tense first half they got the goal they so desperately needed another superb Alan Gordon header. Fate dealt HIBS a cruel blow right on the whistle for half time when a deflection off Referee Meannig sent Marinho racing away and his centre was easily converted by Portuguese superstar Yazalde to snatch a shock equaliser and valuable away goal

Shooting downhill second half HIBS seemed to have a mountain to climb but encouraged by one of Eddie Turnbull’s famous half time pep talks and roared on by their fans they stormed back with scintillating soccer

In just eight minutes of soccer magic Sporting’s European Cup Winners Cup dream lay in tatters

Three minutes after the restart Jimmy O’Rourke raced on to a Gordon head flick to blast the ball past Damas. As the Easter Road crowd roared HIBS on Gordon struck again. An Arthur Duncan cross found him soaring above the Portuguese defence and Damas was beaten to the world. Another four minutes and HIBS were undoubtedly back in the European big time. John Brownlie who minutes earlier had hit a 35 yarder against a post flicked a through ball for O’Rourke to step in and score from close range.

Ten minutes from time Arthur Duncan was brought down inside the box by a frustrated Gomes and Jimmy O’Rourke stepped up to complete his hat-trick from the spot

To complete a night of misery with only seconds to go Portuguese superstar Manaca turned a Duncan shot past his own keeper for an own goal

To say HIBS were magnificent would be an understatement this result was a declaration of intent by Hibernian Football Club and sent shock waves throughout Europe

Hibs Herriot Brownlie Schaedler Stanton Black Blackley Edwards O’Rourke Gordon Cropley and Duncan

Footnote: This was the last night that the cave was made available for Standing Supporters

27/9/1969 Scottish League Division One Old

Hearts 0 v 2 Hibernian

Cormack 39
    McBride 58

Willie MacFarlanes first game in charge and it doesn’t come much better than this.

Peter Cormack headed in the first from a Joe McBride cross and Joe McBride added the second on the hour from a suspiciously offside position but the whistle did not come. Hey ho!

This result put HIBS top of the League

27/9/1961 Inter Cities Fairs Cup Round 1 Leg 2

Belenenses 1 v 3 Hibernian ( Agg 4-6 )

Baxter 2
    Stevenson

After a 3-3 draw at Easter Road Manager Hugh Shaw decided on a change of tactics sitting in deep and hitting the Portuguese on the counterattack.

The tactics worked a treat and HIBS survived a torrid encounter as the Portuguese grew more and more frustrated and became more physical John Baxter hitting two and Eric Stevenson scoring a late superb diving header

27/9/1952 Scottish League Division One Old

Motherwell 3 v 7 Hibernian

Reilly 4
    Johnstone 2
    Turnbull pen

Johnny Aitkenhead and Wilson Humphries were among the Motherwell scorers

Att 18000

27/9/1947 Scottish League Division One

Hibernian 2 v 1 Clyde

Combe 11
    Turnbull 23

Hibs went behind to a Riley goal after 3 minutes

27/9/1941 Scottish Southern League

Hibernian 8 v 1 Rangers

Combe 4
    Smith 2
    Milne 2

Hibs defeated a very strong Rangers side at Easter Road inflicting their worst ever competitive defeat

“ On they come like the Lord Mayor’s show. Milne made it four and Combe five, six and seven and because he is allergic to odd numbers Smith made it eight”

Sunday Post

Birthdays:

Adam Bogdan

Steve Archibald

On This Day In History Sinnet and Colquhoun

www.fitbastats.com
    Last edited by BILLYHIBS; 27-09-2020 at 09:12 PM.

This Luna chance at the end changes every time I read about it on here. It wasn't a diving header at all. Its at 4.40 on the video below

I'd be blaming Colgan far more than Luna. Very poor on both their goals.

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    This Luna chance at the end changes every time I read about it on here. It wasn't a diving header at all. Its at 4.40 on the video below

I'd be blaming Colgan far more than Luna. Very poor on both their goals.

Exactly as I remembered it

As per yesterday I took my info from the Daily Ranger where they describe it as a “ diving header “

I have the paper in front of me and happy to send it to you

Many thanks for your input it is greatly appreciated

GGTTH

28/9/2011 Scottish League Premier Division

Hibernian 3 v 2 St Johnstone

Sproule
    O’Connor 2 (1 pen)

A fine game in which HIBS secured their first home win since February.

A late Cillian Sheridan strike for the Saints gave a false impression to the score line and detracted from Hibs’ overall superiority in this game

Hibs took the lead on 17 minutes when Ivan Sproule shot home following good work by Junior Agogo. St Johnstone equalised through future HIBS Captain Liam Craig whose shot on goal entered the net via the inside of the post. HIBS regained the lead on 37 minutes when Garry O’Connor found himself surrounded in the box but the ball fell invitingly for him and he fired the ball low and powerfully into the net from 16 yards

Into the second half and 15 minutes in O’Connor was bundled over in the box by David McCracken and O’Connor stepped up and converted the penalty kick

Sheridan scored a fine individual effort for Saints with two minutes remaining

Hibs Stack Hanlon O’Hanlon Murray Towell Sproule Palsson Osbourne O’Connor Agogo and Griffiths

Subs Scott Stevenson Sodje

Att 8323

28/9/2002 Scottish League SPL Match Day 9

Hibernian 1 v 0 Livingston

Ian Murray

28/9/1988 Scottish League Premier Division

St Mirren 0 v 1 Hibernian

Evans

Special mention to Andy Goram in this midweek match played in stormy conditions at Love Street.

Hibs scored early through Gareth Evans after that it was Andy Goram versus St Mirren and the elements

Without doubt the best goalkeeping display I have ever witnessed

Not the tallest but got his angles just right all night St Mirren just could not beat him

28/9/1985 Scottish League Premier Division Match Day 7

Hibernian 1 v 0 Motherwell

Ally Brazil

HIBS get their first League points on the board

28/9/1977 Anglo Scottish Cup Quarter Final Leg 2

Blackburn Rovers 0 v 1 Hibernian ( Agg 1-3 )

Higgins

A 25 yard thunderbolt from Tony Higgins put HIBS into the semi-final of the Anglo Scottish Cup versus Peter Cormack’s Bristol City

28/9/1974 Scottish League Division One Match Day 5

Hibernian 0 v 1 St Johnstone

O’Rourke

I can still picture the Wee Man standing at the centre circle waving to the HIBS fans shortly before kick off

HIBS lost 0-1, bang went our 100% record in the league and no prizes for guessing who scored the winner

Everyone knows his name

Birthdays:

Mark Oxley

Gary Deegan

www.fitbastats.com
    Last edited by BILLYHIBS; 28-09-2020 at 07:49 PM.

29/9/2018 Scottish League Premiership Match Day 7

St Mirren 0 v 1 Hibernian

Sir David Gray

Hibs Bogdan Gray Ambrose Porteous Stevenson Milligan Agyepong Mallan Hyndman Horgan and Kamberi

Subs Whittaker Shaw Slivka

Att 6000

https://youtu.be/DUleGaqGXes

29/9/2014 Scottish League Championship Match Day 7

The Rangers 1 v 3 Hibernian

Cummings 2
    Sir David Gray

Sruggling Hibernian stunned title hopefuls The Rangers as three goals in 14 first half minutes earned the Edinburgh side a surprise win at Ibrox

Two goals from Jason Cummings and another from David Gray put the visitors in control by half time

Nicky Law’s early reply just after half time was little more than consolation

Hibs moved up to fifth in the table

HIBS Oxley Hanlon Fontaine Forster Gray Robertson Craig Stevenson Allan Malonga and Cummings

Subs Booth Harris

Att 31500

Footage courtesy of a bored Celtic fan:

He seemed to enjoy the three HIBS goals 😃

https://youtu.be/L0LQ5rV7fcQ

29/9/2007 Scottish League SPL Match Day 8

Hibernian 4 v 1 Kilmarnock

Donaldson 3 (2 pens)
    Antoine-Curier

29/9/2005 UEFA Cup Round 1 Leg 2

Dnipro 5 v 1 Hibernian ( Agg 5-1)

Riordan

29/9/1992 UEFA Cup Round 1 Leg 2

Anderlecht 1 v 1 Hibernian ( Agg 3-3 )

Jackson

https://youtu.be/LxOX9yYzvnA

Hibs Burridge Miller Orr Beaumont Tortolano Hamilton Milne McGinlay MacLeod Wright and Jackson

Sub Evans

Att 22000

29/91984 Scottish League Premier Division Match Day 8

Hibernian 3 v 1 Morton

Irvine
    Kane
    Brogan

New signing John Brogan finally breaks his duck after coming off the bench

29/9/1976 UEFA Cup Round 1 Leg 2

Sochaux 0 v 0 Hibernian ( Agg 0-1)

Hibs McDonald Brownlie Schaedler Bremner Stewart Blackley Edwards Smith Scott Murray and Duncan

Subs Fyfe Higgins

Att 10000

Even although a 0-0 some interesting footage here:

https://youtu.be/oRhAsMQ3UUY

29/9/1973 Scottish League Division One Old

Hibernian 4 v 2 Ayr United

Duncan
    Stanton
    Cropley
    og

Alex Cropley missed a penalty in this entertaining game Pat Stanton scored an own goal and Joe Fillipi got Ayr’s other counter

Hibs McKenzie Bremner Schaedler Stanton Black Blackley Edwards O’Rourke Gordon Cropley and Duncan

Att 8176

29/9/1902 Scottish League Division One

Rangers 2 v 5 Hibernian

McCartney 2
    Atherton 2
    Reid

Hibernian defeat Rangers 5-2 at Ibrox on their way to winning the League Championship

Birthdays :

Darren McCormack

www.fitbastats.com
    Last edited by BILLYHIBS; 29-09-2020 at 11:38 AM.

I never understood what happened with John Brogan.Chased him for years,only played him half a dozen times and that was it.
    Very strange.

I never understood what happened with John Brogan.Chased him for years,only played him half a dozen times and that was it.
    Very strange.
    ‘Yip! Cracking player with St Johnstone and Hamilton

Only played 7 times for us scoring once

Very strange

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Very strange.
    Scored 100+ goals for Saint Johnstone and we were delighted when we signed him - unfortunately things didn't click for him at Hibs.

@hibs.net private member weecounty hibby's Avatar
    Very strange.
    What I remember about it is just what you say. Chased him for ages and he scored goals for fun for St Johnstone before us. He didn't look good for us although I think he may have scored in his handful of games. We met him go and he went in to score for fun again for I think Stirling and maybe someone else. Typical Hibs signing of the time!!

30/9/2017 Scottish League Premiership Match Day 8

Celtic 2 v 2 Hibernian

McGinn 53, 77

https://youtu.be/dijYBL-Vp-8

Hibs: Laidlaw Whittaker Hanlon Stevenson Ambrose Bartley McGinn Slivka McGeouch Boyle and Stokes

Subs Barker S Murray

Att 59000

30/9/2000 Scottish League SPL Match Day 10

St Johnstone 0 v 3 Hibernian

Sauzee
    Zitelli
    Latapy

Monday 30/9/1996

A disastrous start to the season saw Alex Miller resign as Hibernian Manager following an easy 3-1 victory for Hearts at Easter Road after almost 10 years at the helm

A devisive character amongst HIBS fans he brought many good players to Easter Road won a League Cup during a difficult time in our history but was criticised for his defensive tactics and managerial style

He would subsequently go on to win the UEFA Champions League 2005 and FA Cup 2006 with Liverpool as First Team Coach

30/9/1975 UEFA Cup Round 1 Leg 2

Liverpool 3 v 1 Hibernian ( Agg 3-2)

Edwards 33

Pat Stanton was controversially dropped for this game and HIBS were to rue John Brownlie’s penalty miss in the first leg.

John Toshack gave Liverpool the lead after 21 minutes Alex Edwards pulled one back but Toshack would go on to complete his hat-trick

Hibs McArthur Brownlie Schaedler Bremner Barry Blackley Edwards MacLeod Harper Munro and Duncan

Att 30000

30/9/1972 Scottish League Division One Old

Hibernian 3 v 2 St Johnstone

O’Rourke 2
    Gordon

Henry Hall and Jim Pearson scored for the visitors in an entertaining game but Gordon and O’Rourke were on a roll

Hibs Herriot Brownlie Schaedler Stanton Black McEwan Edwards O’Rourke Gordon Cropley and Duncan

Sub Hamilton

Att: 10376

30/9/1970 Inter Cities Fairs Cup Round 1 Leg 2

Malmo 2 v 3 Hibernian (Agg 2-9)

R Duncan 46
    McEwan 77
    Stanton 85

Rising star Kenny Davidson makes his debut

Hibs Marshall R Duncan Schaedler Brownlie Stanton McEwan Davidson Jones McBride Blair and Duncan

Subs Graham Hamilton

Att 1900

30/9/1967 Scottish League Division One Old

Hibernian 5 v 1 Partick Thistle

Stevenson 2
    Davis pen
    McGraw
    Quinn

Birthdays:

Sven Mathisen

Hibernian On This Day Colquhoun and Sinnet

www.fitbastats.com

1/10/1995 Scottish League Premier Division Match Day 5

Hibernian 2 v 2 Hearts

Donald 61
    McGinlay 73

https://youtu.be/MUXN2OxHYBk

The whole 90 minutes for anyone bored during lockdown

Hibs: Leighton C Jackson Love Tweed Hunter Evans Millen Wright Jackson and O’Neill

Sub Donald

Att 12374

1/10/1994 Scottish League Premier Division Match Day 7

Hibernian 3 v 0 Partick Thistle

Jackson 2
    McGraw

1/10/1988 Scottish League Premier Division Match Day 8

Hibernian 3 v 1 Celtic

Archibald 2
    Evans

Archie was a class act

https://youtu.be/aqFqi-RAzWU

Hibs : Goram Hunter Sneddon May Rae Milne Orr Archibald Kane Collins and Evans

Sub: Tortolano

Att 22800

1/10/1985 Scottish League Premier Division Match Day 8

Hibernian 5 v 0 Clydebank

Cowan 3
    Durie 2

1/10/1983 Scottish League Premier Division Match Day 6

St Johnstone 0 v 3 Hibernian

Brazil
    Irvine
    Thomson

1/10/1966 Scottish League Division One

Motherwell 1 v 2 Hibernian

Stein
    McGraw

1/10/1955 Scottish League Division One

Hibernian 2 v 1 Kilmarnock

Mulkerrin 19
    Reilly 56

A young and lively Kilmarnock side took the lead after 5 minutes through Catterson and put HIBS under pressure. HIBS weathered the storm and eventually took a grip of the game Reilly scoring the winner from a pin point Gordon Smith cross

1/10/1949 Scottish League First Division

Hibernian 2 v 0 Aberdeen

Ormond
    Turnbull

Birthdays:

Ricardo Vaz Te

www.fitbastats.com
    Last edited by BILLYHIBS; 01-10-2020 at 12:46 PM.

2/10/1993 Scottish League Premier Division Match Day 9

Hibernian 2 v 0 Dundee United

Jackson 2

Darren Jackson scores his fifth goal versus his old club Dundee United in little over a year

https://youtu.be/Wp9Q-nNUKLw

Hibs Leighton Miller Mitchell Farrell Tweed Beaumont McAllister Hamilton Wright Jackson and O’Neill

Subs Evans Tortolano

Att 7500

2/10/1974 UEFA Cup Round 1 Leg 2

Hibernian 9 v 1 Rosenborg ( Agg 12-3)

Harper 2
    Munro 2
    Stanton 2
    Cropley 2 pens
    Gordon

Leading 3-2 from the first leg Eddie Turnbull was taking no chances and fielded his strongest team against the Norwegians but in a fast start to the game Odd Iversen eluded his marker and fired his team ahead after 15 minutes

With the crowd stunned now that the aggregate was 3-3 HIBS showed their spirit and their skill.

In 19 minutes Joe Harper equalised with a superbly taken goal. In 20 minutes Iain Munro put HIBS ahead with another first class effort and in 22 minutes Rosenborg knew it was all over when Harper headed a third

From then on it was a procession but the goals were well planned and clinically executed that is if you excuse HIBS’ fourth a lob by Munro that spun out of goalkeeper Thunshell’s hands. Pat Stanton added a fifth to make the half-time score 5-1.

The fans chanted for 7 and they got it too when Alex Cropley scored twice from the penalty spot

Headers from Stanton and Gordon made it nine the only blot on Hibs’ copybook being a booking for Joe Harper

Hibs: McArthur Brownlie Schaedler Stanton Spalding Blackley Edwards Cropley Harper Gordon and Duncan

Sub Bremner for Brownlie

Att 12379

Q What was Pat Stanton’s last game for HIBS ?

2/10/1968 Inter Cities Fairs Cup Round 1 Leg 2

Hibernian 2 v 1 Olimpija Ljubljana ( Agg 5-1 )

Davis 2 pens 61 68

The Yugoslavs proved to be a better and more determined team than the side HIBS had beaten 3-0 so comprehensively in Belgrade and they shocked the Easter Road side when Popivoda scored after only 4 minutes.

For a while Olimpija were the much better team but HIBS began to claw their way back into the game

As the Yugoslavs grew more and more frustrated they began to hack and kick at our most skilful players Marinello, Cormack and Stevenson and this was ultimately to cost them the game

Midway through the second half HIBS were awarded a penalty for hand ball in the box a decision that was hotly disputed by the Yugoslavs and the game was held up for several minutes

Once order was restored Joe Davis coolly dispatched the spot kick into the net

This proved to be the catalyst for the Yugoslavs to once again surround the Referee and push and shove him.

Minutes later Jovanovic was sent off for the latest of several savage fouls on Peter Marinello

The culptrit was hardly off the pitch when Eric Stevenson was pulled down inside the box by Kokot leaving the Referee no option but to award a second penalty of the evening

This time there were no protests and Davis duly stepped up and dispatched the penalty past the Yugoslav keeper

Hibs Wilson Shevlane Davis Blackley Cousin Stanton Marinello Quinn Stein Cormack and Stevenson

Att 10500

Birthdays

Craig Paterson

Hibs Through and Through Eric Stevenson

www.fitbastats.com
    Last edited by BILLYHIBS; 02-10-2020 at 05:09 PM.

First Team Breakthrough green.oracle's Avatar
    2/10/1993 Scottish League Premier Division Match Day 9

Hibernian 2 v 0 Dundee United

Jackson 2

Darren Jackson scores his fifth goal versus his old club Dundee United in little over a year

https://youtu.be/Wp9Q-nNUKLw

Hibs Leighton Miller Mitchell Farrell Tweed Beaumont McAllister Hamilton Wright Jackson and O’Neill

Subs Evans Tortolano

Att 7500

2/10/1974 UEFA Cup Round 1 Leg 2

Hibernian 9 v 1 Rosenborg ( Agg 12-3)

Harper 2
    Munro 2
    Stanton 2
    Cropley 2 pens
    Gordon

Leading 3-2 from the first leg Eddie Turnbull was taking no chances and fielded his strongest team against the Norwegians but in a fast start to the game Odd Iversen eluded his marker and fired his team ahead after 15 minutes

With the crowd stunned now that the aggregate was 3-3 HIBS showed their spirit and their skill.

In 19 minutes Joe Harper equalised with a superbly taken goal. In 20 minutes Iain Munro put HIBS ahead with another first class effort and in 22 minutes Rosenborg knew it was all over when Harper headed a third

From then on it was a procession but the goals were well planned and clinically executed that is if you excuse HIBS’ fourth a lob by Munro that spun out of goalkeeper Thunshell’s hands. Pat Stanton added a fifth to make the half-time score 5-1.

The fans chanted for 7 and they got it too when Alex Cropley scored twice from the penalty spot

Headers from Stanton and Gordon made it nine the only blot on Hibs’ copybook being a booking for Joe Harper

Hibs: McArthur Brownlie Schaedler Stanton Spalding Blackley Edwards Cropley Harper Gordon and Duncan

Sub Bremner for Brownlie

Att 12379

Q What was Pat Stanton’s last game for HIBS ?

2/10/1968 Inter Cities Fairs Cup Round 1 Leg 2

Hibernian 2 v 1 Olimpija Ljubljana ( Agg 5-1 )

Davis 2 pens 61 68

The Yugoslavs proved to be a better and more determined team than the side HIBS had beaten 3-0 so comprehensively in Belgrade and they shocked the Easter Road side when Popivoda scored after only 4 minutes.

For a while Olimpija were the much better team but HIBS began to claw their way back into the game

As the Yugoslavs grew more and more frustrated they began to hack and kick at our skilful players Marinello Cormack and Stevenson and this was ultimately to cost them the game

Midway through the second half HIBS were awarded a penalty for hand ball in the box a decision that was hotly disputed by the Yugoslavs and the game was held up for several minutes

Once order was restored Joe Davis coolly dispatched the spot kick into the net

This proved to be the catalyst for the Yugoslavs to once again surround the Referee and push and shove him.

Minutes later Jovanovic was sent off for the latest of several savage fouls on Peter Marinello

The culptrit was hardly off the pitch when Eric Stevenson was pulled down inside the box by Kokot leaving the Referee no option but to award a second penalty of the evening

This time there were no protests and Davis duly stepped up and dispatched the penalty past the Yugoslav keeper

Hibs Wilson Shevlane Davis Blackley Cousin Stanton Marinello Quinn Stein Cormack and Stevenson

Att 10500

Birthdays

Craig Paterson

Hibs Through and Through Eric Stevenson

www.fitbastats.com
    Pat's last competitive game for Hibs v st johnstone league cup section game 1976.

Off course he played for Hibs in his own testimonial game in April 78.

Quote Originally Posted by green.oracle View Post
    Pat's last competitive game for Hibs v st johnstone league cup section game 1976.

Off course he played for Hibs in his own testimonial game in April 78.

9-2

3/10/2015 Scottish League Championship Match Day 8

Queen Of The South 0 v 3 Hibernian

Cummings
    Henderson
    Boyle

A comfortable victory for the Hibees in the sun at a difficult place to go

https://youtu.be/RVubjAEbnaY

Hibs: Oxley Gray Hanlon Stevenson McGregor Henderson Bartley McGeouch McGinn Malonga and Cummings

Subs: Boyle Carmichael Stanton

Att 2745

3/10/1998 Scottish League Division One

Airdrieonians 1 v 3 Hibernian

McGinlay 2
    Paatelainen

Hibs’ first game at Airdrie’s Shyberry Excelsior Stadium and the first time we had played them since the infamous play-off win. Ex Hearts man Kenny Black scored a penalty for Airdrieonians

Hibs: Gottskalksson Prenderville Renwick Holsgrove Hughes Anderson Rougier Skinner Lovell Paatelainen and McGinlay

Sub: Crawford

Att 4300

Q. What was Stuart Lovell’s nickname at HIBS?

3/10/1988 Gordon Rae Testimonial Match

Hibernian 0 v 3 Manchester United

Joe Tortolano was sent off in the opening minutes for a late but uncharacteristically violent tackle on HIBS supporting Manchester United midfield maestro Gordon Strachan

David Wilson, Mark Hughes and Mark Robins scored for United

3/10/1973 UEFA Cup Round 1 Leg 2

Keflavik 1 V 1 Hibernian ( Agg 1-3)

Stanton

Keflavik had their goalkeeper to thank for keeping the score down in a game played in stormy conditions in Iceland

3/10/1962 Inter Cities Fairs Cup Round 1 Leg 1

Hibernian 4 v 0 KB Copenhagen

Byrne 17
    G Baker 20
    M Stevenson 24
    Ronnow og 30

Copenhagen had four full and five Under 23 internationals in their ranks but HIBS were booed off at the end of the game for failing to add to their total in the second half

Att: 4000

3/10/1950 Scottish League Cup Quarter Final Replay

Hibernian 5 v 1 Aberdeen

Johnstone 2
    Turnbull
    Smith
    Reilly

3/10/1885 Scottish Cup Round 2

Hibernian 2 v 1 Hearts

James McGhee 2

Hibernian had a bye in the first round of the Scottish Cup and in the second round on 3rd October they had a home tie against a fast improving Hearts.

The Holy Ground was packed and at half-time Hearts had taken a one goal lead.

The second half saw a 40 yard throw out by the Hearts keeper land at the feet of James McGhee and he coolly lofted the ball back over the keeper’s head

The game now became fast and furious and the partisan shouts of the crowd rose to a crescendo as McGhee hammered home the winner

Birthdays:

Tommy Preston RIP

Peter Docherty

Jimmy Brown

Jamie McQuilken

Hibernian On This Day Sinnet and Colquhoun

The Making of Hibernian The Harp Awakes Alan Lugton

www.fitbastats.com
    Last edited by BILLYHIBS; 03-10-2020 at 06:27 PM.

First Team Breakthrough green.oracle's Avatar
    Stuart Lovell's nickname - Archie

Quote Originally Posted by green.oracle View Post
    Stuart Lovell's nickname - Archie

4/10/2008 Scottish League SPL Match Day 8

Aberdeen 1 v 2 Hibernian

Riordan 2 (1 pen)

Derek Riordan in his second spell with the club scored his second and third goals

The first when a Lee Mair slip let Deeks in on 33 minutes for the opener. The second when Charlie Mulgrew handled on the goalline with 10 minutes to go and Deeks converted the penalty to seal the victory

Lee Miller equalised for the Dons on 42 minutes after he was fouled in the box by Sol Bamba

Hibs: Ma-Kalambay Van Zanten Bamba Jones Stevenson Rankin Murray Thicot Fletcher Nish and Riordan

Sub Shiels

Att 10793

Q. What squad number did Derek Riordan choose on his return to the club?

4/10/2003 Scottish League SPL Match Day 8

Partick Thistle 0 v 1 Hibernian

Brebner 90

4/10/1997 Scottish League Premier Division Match Day 8

Hibernian 3 v 4 Rangers

McGinlay
    Lavety
    Crawford

Oh dear! The beginning of the end for Jim Duffy as his team leading 3-1 contrived to lose 3-4 against an admittedly very good but physical Old Co Rangers team

https://youtu.be/vfke1BSg4u4

HIBS: Gottskalksson Miller Boco Dods Hughes Charnley Harper Lavety Crawford Rougier and McGinlay

Subs Dow Tosh

Att 15000

4/10/1986 Scottish League Premier Division Match Day 10

Hamilton 1 v 4 Hibernian

May 2
    McCluskey
    McBride

4/10/1980 Scottish League Division One Match Day 11

Dunfermline 0 v 2 Hibernian

MacLeod 2

A George Best inspired HIBS easily defeated the Pars It would be his third last game before being transferred to San Jose Earhquakes

4/10/1969 Scottish League Division One Old

Hibernian 1 v 0 Morton

Stanton 52

4/10/1967 Inter Cities Fairs Cup Round 1 Leg 2

Porto 3 v 1 Hibernian ( Agg 3-4)

Davis pen

Defending a 3-0 lead from the first leg things looked rosy for HIBS when Joe Davis converted a penalty in only two minutes after Colin Stein had been fouled inside the box. Cue pushing and shoving of the Referee by the Portuguese players immediately after the award

With 10 minutes remaining of the first half Peter Cormack was sent off following a melee with his immediate marker who had punched Cormack in the face after not being happy with one of his tackles. Once again the Referee was surrounded by unhappy Porto players and both players eventually saw red

Into the second half and Porto scored two goals on the hour in quick succession to change the whole complexion of the game. The Portuguese were pressing forward in numbers and scored a third through Valdir with twenty minutes remaining but a much relieved HIBS side managed to hold on

Hibs Allan Duncan Davis Stanton Madsen McGraw Scott Quinn Stein Cormack and Stevenson

Att 40000

4/10/1965 Scottish League Cup Semi-Final

Hibernian 2 v 2 Celtic

Neil Martin 2

Joe McBride opened the scoring for Celtic with a header after 8 minutes from an offside position a fact confirmed by TV coverage later that evening. Neil Martin added two to put HIBS ahead the first a header from a Jim Scott cross the second a low drive from an Eric Stevenson cut back on the hour

Hibs were starting to play some fantastic stuff but just could not add to their lead. Into injury time and as is so often the case Tommy Gemmell overlapped down the right wing skipped past a few desperate challenges sent over a cross cum shot that cannoned off Willie Wilson and fell nicely at the feet of Bobby Lennox who fired home the equaliser to take the game into extra time

There was no further scoring and the players would have to do it all again

Hibs Wilson Simpson Davis Stanton McNamee Baxter Cormack Quinn Scott Martin and Stevenson

Att 46000

Birthdays

Brandon Barker

Hibs Through and Through. Eric Stevenson

www.fitbastats.com
    Last edited by BILLYHIBS; 04-10-2020 at 01:24 PM.

Blog Entries
    4/10/2008 Scottish League SPL Match Day 8

Aberdeen 1 v 2 Hibernian

Riordan 2 (1 pen)

Derek Riordan in his second spell with the club scored his second and third goals

The first when a Lee Mair slip let Deeks in on 33 minutes for the opener. The second when Charlie Mulgrew handled on the goalline with 10 minutes to go and Deeks converted the penalty to seal the victory

Lee Miller equalised for the Dons on 42 minutes after he was fouled in the box by Sol Bamba

Hibs: Ma-Kalambay Van Zanten Bamba Jones Stevenson Rankin Murray Thicot Fletcher Nish and Riordan

Sub Shiels

Att 10793

Q. What squad number did Derek Riordan choose on his return to the club?

4/10/2003 Scottish League SPL Match Day 8

Partick Thistle 0 v 1 Hibernian

Brebner 90

4/10/1997 Scottish League Premier Division Match Day 8

Hibernian 3 v 4 Rangers

McGinlay
    Lavety
    Crawford

Oh dear! The beginning of the end for Jim Duffy as his team leading 3-1 contrived to lose 3-4 against an admittedly very good but physical Old Co Rangers team

https://youtu.be/vfke1BSg4u4

HIBS: Gottskalksson Miller Boco Dods Hughes Charnley Harper Lavety Crawford Rougier and McGinlay

Subs Dow Tosh

Att 15000

4/10/1986 Scottish League Premier Division Match Day 10

Hamilton 1 v 4 Hibernian

May 2
    McCluskey
    McBride

4/10/1980 Scottish League Division One Match Day 11

Dunfermline 0 v 2 Hibernian

MacLeod 2

A George Best inspired HIBS easily defeated the Pars It would be his third last game before being transferred to San Jose Earhquakes

4/10/1969 Scottish League Division One Old

Hibernian 1 v 0 Morton

Stanton 52

4/10/1967 Inter Cities Fairs Cup Round 1 Leg 2

Porto 3 v 1 Hibernian ( Agg 3-4)

Davis pen

Defending a 3-0 lead from the first leg things looked rosy for HIBS when Joe Davis converted a penalty in only two minutes after Colin Stein had been fouled inside the box. Cue pushing and shoving of the Referee by the Portuguese players immediately after the award

With 10 minutes remaining of the first half Peter Cormack was sent off following a melee with his immediate marker who had punched Cormack in the face after not being happy with one of his tackles. Once again the Referee was surrounded by unhappy Porto players and both players eventually saw red

Into the second half and Porto scored two goals on the hour in quick succession to change the whole complexion of the game. The Portuguese were pressing forward in numbers and scored a third through Valdir with twenty minutes remaining but a much relieved HIBS side managed to hold on

Hibs Allan Duncan Davis Stanton Madsen McGraw Scott Quinn Stein Cormack and Stevenson

Att 40000

4/10/1965 Scottish League Cup Semi-Final

Hibernian 2 v 2 Celtic

Neil Martin 2

Joe McBride opened the scoring for Celtic with a header after 8 minutes from an offside position a fact confirmed by TV coverage later that evening. Neil Martin added two to put HIBS ahead the first a header from a Jim Scott cross the second a low drive from an Eric Stevenson cut back on the hour

Hibs were starting to play some fantastic stuff but just could not add to their lead. Into injury time and as is so often the case Tommy Gemmell overlapped down the right wing skipped past a few desperate challenges sent over a cross cum shot that cannoned off Willie Wilson and fell nicely at the feet of Bobby Lennox who fired home the equaliser to take the game into extra time

There was no further scoring and the players would have to do it all again

Hibs Wilson Simpson Davis Stanton McNamee Baxter Cormack Quinn Scott Martin and Stevenson

Att 46000

Birthdays

Brandon Barker

Hibs Through and Through. Eric Stevenson

www.fitbastats.com
    In the LC semi we were 2-1 up with seconds to go. Jim Scott had the ball on the touchline about half way & was holding it up. The Celtc players couldn't get it off him so Tommy Gemmell lost the rag & booted Jim on to the track. While Hibs waited for the free kick a Celtc player grabbed the ball & threw it down the line to Gemmell on the left wing not the right, & Lennox scored. Probably the worst decision I have ever seen. We lost the replay 4-0, big John was sent off & booted Jock Stein on his way up the tunnel!

Quote Originally Posted by brog View Post
    In the LC semi we were 2-1 up with seconds to go. Jim Scott had the ball on the touchline about half way & was holding it up. The Celtc players couldn't get it off him so Tommy Gemmell lost the rag & booted Jim on to the track. While Hibs waited for the free kick a Celtc player grabbed the ball & threw it down the line to Gemmell on the left wing not the right, & Lennox scored. Probably the worst decision I have ever seen. We lost the replay 4-0, big John was sent off & booted Jock Stein on his way up the tunnel!
    OK! We will go with the left wing 😃

The replay was Neil Martin’s last game for HIBS

No prizes for guessing who the Referee was?
    Last edited by BILLYHIBS; 04-10-2020 at 04:46 PM.

Blog Entries
    OK! We will go with the left wing 😃

The replay was Neil Martin’s last game for HIBS

No prizes for guessing who the Referee was?
    It was Wharton

It was Wharton
    First semi:

RH Davidson ( Airdrie )

Edit: Cannae check the second semi as in the Cask
    Last edited by BILLYHIBS; 04-10-2020 at 05:19 PM.

Blog Entries
    First semi:

RH Davidson ( Airdrie )

Edit: Cannae check the second semi as in the Cask
    Defo Wharton in replay. Which 1 are you in, Southside? Been too long!

Defo Wharton in replay. Which 1 are you in, Southside? Been too long!
    👍🏿