hibs.net Messageboard

Page 9 of 93 FirstFirst ... 78910111959 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

A bit like ma old mucker Willie Wilson one of the nicest men you would ever want to meet but a jambo ...

Billy, did you know Willie Wilson?

I used to live near his house when I was a kid and his wife was a lovely woman. She found out I was a Hibs supporter and invited me and my pal in to show us all her photo albums of Willie's career.

My Dad found out later and was totally seething with envy ;-)

Fun Fact: Willie Wilson's house at that time was about 50 metres away from where 'Geebsie' lived (Gogs* was in the year below me at school and I was in his sister's class).

Gogs was his correct nickname, not Geebsie ;-)

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith_M View Post
    Billy, did you know Willie Wilson?

I used to live near his house when I was a kid and his wife was a lovely woman. She found out I was a Hibs supporter and invited me and my pal in to show us all her photo albums of Willie's career.

My Dad found out later and was totally seething with envy ;-)

Fun Fact: Willie Wilson's house at that time was about 50 metres away from where 'Geebsie' lived (Gogs* was in the year below me at school and I was in his sister's class).

Gogs was his correct nickname, not Geebsie ;-)
    I worked beside him at Wallyford for years

I also know Geebsies sister...nice lady Prison Officer or WPC I think?

I also played for Wallyford Bluebell back in ancient fitba times we had a picture of Jock Wallace hanging up in the clubhouse holding a trophy think it was the Junior Cup but maybes naw

I worked beside him at Wallyford for years

I also know Geebsies sister...nice lady Prison Officer or WPC I think?

His sister's called Jean Anne. I haven't seen her for years so don't know what she does now.

I also played for Wallyford Bluebell back in ancient fitba times we had a picture of Jock Wallace hanging up in the clubhouse holding a trophy think it was the Junior Cup but maybes naw

OMG, I should be asking for your autograph!

Quote Originally Posted by Keith_M View Post
    His sister's called Jean Anne. I haven't seen her for years so don't know what she does now.

OMG, I should be asking for your autograph!

The fitba used to interfere with my favourite hobby of watching HIBS but luckily like the Bluebell HIBS werenae very good at that time.

27/5/1964 Summer Cup Semi-Final Leg 1

Kilmarnock 4 v 3 Hibernian

Vincent
    Martin
    Hamilton

Hibs had reached the semi-final of the Summer Cup under Jock Stein and the first leg was away at Rugby Park and as usual it would prove to be a tricky tie

Kilmarnock scored through a Ronnie Hamilton penalty a John McNamee og and goals from Brian McIlroy and Jackie McInally.

HIBS responded through Vincent Hamilton and Martin and crucially Martin saw Sandy McLaughlin save his late penalty kick but it mattered not a jot as HIBS would go on to defeat Kilmarnock 3-0 at Easter Road three days later and qualify to meet Aberdeen in what would prove to be an epic final

Worth mentioning that after this semi-final at Rugby Park both sets of supporters gave the teams a rousing standing ovation for a good old fashioned entertaining end to end Cup tie

Hibs Wilson Fraser Leishman Stanton McNamee and J Stevenson ORourke Hamilton Vincent Martin and J Scott

27/5/1961 Inter Cities Fairs Cup Semi-Final Play-Off

Roma 6 v 0 Hibernian

Hibs had reached the semi-final of the Inter Cities Fairs Cup which would nowadays be the equivalent of the UEFA Cup or the Europa League

Hibs had already played Roma home and away in the semi-final drawing 2-2 at Easter Road and drawing 3-3 in Rome

Based on present day rules HIBS would be in the Final on the away goals rule but back then the venue for the deciding tie in the event of a draw would be decided by the toss of a coin

In his book Davie Gibson states that the Hibernian Directors actually agreed a financial guarantee to return at the end of May which was fine by him as he had thrown a coin in the Trevi Fountain with Johnny MacLeod and Ronnie Simpson hoping to return one day but not on the end of a 6-0 thrashing

Roma won the toss allegedly but the mysterious thing was the tie was to take place a full month after the 3-3 draw in Rome and a month after HIBS’ domestic season had ended

The Italians were still in the middle of their season and the under prepared HIBS team having not played for a month suffered their heaviest ever away defeat in Europe.

Manfreddi scored in the first minute and would add another three both sides would each miss a penalty before Menichelli and Selmosson would complete the scoring for the Italians

The HIBS players treated the whole trip as a holiday as they did not expect to win and according to Eric Stevenson’s book they would go on organised excursions to the Coliseum, The Trevi Fountain and other local landmarks all laid on by the Daily Express.

An Italian family back in Edinburgh had arranged a slap feed with free flowing wine at a top class local restaurant

Many of the players suffered sunburn lying on the beaches under the intense hot summer sun

The big attraction for the Italian fans was of course Joe Baker but little did they or the HIBS fans realise that he had already been sold

Roma would go on to defeat Birmingham City 4-2 in a two legged final a final that if things had been different should have been a Battle of Britain

Hibs Simpson Fraser McClelland Baxter Easton and Baird MacLeod Kinloch Baker Gibson and Stevenson

Att 50000

https://youtu.be/iJtuz-nxgoo

Hibernian FC On This Day. Colquhoun and Sinnet

Hibs Through and Through Eric Stevenson

Gibbo The Davie Gibson Story

www.fitbastats.com
    Last edited by BILLYHIBS; 27-05-2020 at 09:13 AM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by WoreTheGreen View Post
    Him and JimmyO a double act chuckle brothers

I spent 2 or 3 years playing for the Corrie Inn alongside Jimmy & Stan. A couple of games I was lying down crying with laughter (or maybe just knackered) at their antics, especially Stan.

28/5/1979 Scottish Cup Final Second Replay

Hibernian 2 v 3 Rangers. AET

Higgins
    MacLeod pen

The final instalment of the bore-fest that HIBS so easily could have won

” The first replay was played in dreadful wet conditions and our defence was superb in a match that went to extra time There were no penalty shoot-outs in those days so a second replay took place the following Monday, 28th May

Once again I thought we had our hands on the Cup as we tore Rangers apart in the first half. Tony Higgins put us ahead after 16 minutes but we just could not finish off the Glasgow team Big Derek Johnstone’s equaliser before half-time came off a rebound when Tommy McLean’s 25 yarder took a slight deflection on its way to Jim McArthur who could not hold it.

Johnstone had moved up front and he scored his second after an hour but still we did not give up. The penalty award which allowed us to equalise was soft; McCloy’s offence in the first game was much worse. Ally MacLeod made no mistake and we almost snatched it late on when Bobby Hutchinson who I had sent on to replace Tony Higgins grazed the outside of the post with a shot

Jim McArthur saved a penalty from Alex Miller but in the second half of extra time Davie Cooper swung in a cross and Arthur Duncan dived to try and head clear only for the ball to end up in our net. We had lost the Scottish Cup by an own goal and after 330 minutes of unceasing effort we had nothing to show but losers medals I don’t think Arthur ever forgave himself but he was such a great player for HIBS over the years that no one ever held it against him.”

Eddie Turnbull

77 years and counting

Hibs McArthur Brazil Duncan Bremner Stewart and McNamara MacLeod Rae Campbell Callachan and Higgins

Subs Hutchinson and Brown

Att 27556

28/5/1967 North American League

Hibernian 1 v 1 Cerro

McGraw

The first game of a gruelling 12 game North American tour in which HIBS drew 1-1 with Cerro of Uruguay in the Yankee Stadium New York -played in intense heat -thanks to an Alan McGraw header

Hibs’ next game would be against Eddie Turnbull’s Aberdeen three days later but they would also go on to face Ado Den Haag, Wolverhampton Wanderers, Dundee United, Cagliari, Sunderland ( twice ) Bangu, Stoke City, Shamrock Rovers and Glentoran all in the name of trying to push soccer to the locals

It was also a chance to get in some valuable team bonding and sight-seeing

HIBS played under the name Toronto City
    Cerro were the New York Skyliners
    Aberdeen were the Washington Whips
    Dundee United were Dallas Tornadoes

Hibs Allan Duncan Davis Stanton Madsen and Cousin Quinn Cormack Scott McGraw and Stevenson

In Colours Green and White. John Campbell

Having A Ball. Eddie Turnbull

www.fitbastats.com
    Last edited by BILLYHIBS; 31-05-2020 at 08:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by brog View Post
    I spent 2 or 3 years playing for the Corrie Inn alongside Jimmy & Stan. A couple of games I was lying down crying with laughter (or maybe just knackered) at their antics, especially Stan.
    I think Stan worked for Jimmy in the Corrie inn. He also took us ‘s’ form lads for training on a Tuesday / Thursday night

29/5/1943 Summer Cup First Round First Leg

Hibernian 7 v 0 Partick Thistle

Baxter 2
    Cuthbertson 2
    Anderson
    Smith 2

Partick held out well for the first half-hour even although Bobby Baxter had opened the scoring after only 8 minutes but when Jocky Cuthbertson added a second on 32 minutes their resistance caved in and the floodgates opened Baxter and Cubby again adding goals before half-time

HIBS were imperious and irresistible and went on to totally dominate the second half Gordon Smith grabbing a late double

Hibs would win the second leg 5-2 with Charles McGilvray getting a rare start scoring a hat-trick

St Mirren would go on to defeat Rangers 1-0 in the final at Hampden

Hihs : Brown Shaw Hall Finnigan Baxter Kean Smith McGilvray Anderson Cuthbertson and Caskie

Att: 8000

Hibernian FC On This Day Colquhoun and Sinnet

www.fitbastats.com
    Last edited by BILLYHIBS; 29-05-2020 at 09:18 AM.

30/5/1964 Summer Cup Semi-Final 2nd Leg

Hibernian 3 v 0 Kilmarnock ( Agg 6-4 )

Martin 2
    Vincent

After losing the first leg 3-4 in an entertaining game at Rugby Park HIBS welcomed Kilmarnock to Easter Road and 18000 fans turned up expecting more of the same

Two goals by the brilliant Neil Martin in either half sandwiched in between a strike from Stan Vincent put paid to Killie’s hopes but special mention must be made to Willie Wilson, Pat Stanton and John McNamee who were outstanding in defence on the night

The Final would be a two legged affair against Aberdeen who had defeated Partick Thistle 3-2 on aggregate in the other semi but the Final would be put on hold until 1st of August due to a typhoid outbreak in the town

The HIBS players could relax and go on holiday

Hibs : Wilson Fraser Leishman Stanton McNamee J Stevenson ORourke Hamilton Vincent Martin and Scott

30/5/1942 Summer Cup Round One

Hibernian 2 v 1 Clyde

Milne 2

HIBS began their defence of the Summer Cup with this win at Easter Road

They would go on to lose a brutal hard fought final to Rangers at Hampden Park after extra time on the toss of a coin

Birthdays

Pat McGinlay

Calum Booth

At Easter Road They Play. John Campbell

www.fitbastats.com
    Last edited by BILLYHIBS; 30-05-2020 at 08:40 AM.

31/5/1979 Scottish League Premier Division

Hibernian 2 v 1 Rangers

Brazil
    Rae

On Thursday 31st May HIBS played their last match of the season against a Rangers side they were unable to beat only days earlier in three titanic Scottish Cup Finals and in true HIBS form went out and beat them 2-1 in front of only 3242 spectators the goals coming from Brazil and Rae

Hibs McArthur Brazil Duncan Bremner Stewart and McNamara Rae MacLeod Campbell Brown and Hutchinson

31/5/1967 North American League

Toronto City 1 v 2 Washington Whips

Stevenson

Hibs playing their second game of the tour lost this home match in Toronto to Eddie Turnbull’s Aberdeen

Aberdeen took the lead through Jimmy Smith and Jim Storrie with Eric Stevenson reducing the deficit from a Cormack cutback to make for an exciting finish for the large ex-pat audience

Hibs Allan Duncan Davis Stanton Madsen and Cousin Quinn Cormack J Scott McGraw and Stevenson

Att 10000

Birthdays

Alen Orman

www.fitbastats.com
    Last edited by BILLYHIBS; 31-05-2020 at 11:58 AM.

1978 Tour of Canada

1/6/1978 Ottawa Tigers 0 v 7 Hibernian

MacLeod 2
    Brownlie 2
    Higgins
    Duncan
    Bremner

30/5/1978 Manitoba All Stars 0 v 6 Hibernian

MacLeod 4

28/5/1978 Edmonton All Stars 0 v 7 Hibernian

MacLeod 3
    Duncan 2
    Higgins
    Paterson

25/5/1978 Vancouver Island Vistas 0 v 9 Hibernian

MacLeod 4
    Higgins 2
    Duncan 2
    Bremner

23/5/1978 Vancouver Whitecaps 2 v 2 Hibernian

W Murray
    Duncan

The most controversial game of the tour Willie Murray and Arthur Duncan put HIBS on easy street Kevin Hector pulled one back on the hour before Ally MacLeod had a perfectly good goal harshly disallowed for an earlier soft infringement on the edge of the box This decision prompted whistles from the large Scottish crowd in the Stands which only grew louder moments later when the Whitecaps were awarded a hotly disputed penalty that Alan Hinton smashed home to level the tie at 2-2

Ex West Ham stopper Phil Parkes played in goal for the Whitecaps

18/5/1978 Calgary Kickers 1 v 4 Hibernian

Macleod 2
    Duncan
    Higgins

16/5/1978 Ontario All Stars 1 v 1 Hibernian

MacLeod

1/6/1946 Victory Cup Semi-Final

Hibernian 2 v 1 Clyde

Smith pen
    Milne

Hibernian won this Victory Cup semi-final at Tynecastle Park thanks to a Gordon Smith penalty on 32 minutes and an Arthur Milne goal on 52 minutes Hepburn pulled a goal back for Clyde on 58 minutes

Hibs would play Rangers in the final at Hampden who beat Celtic 2-0 in a replayed semi-final after a 0-0 draw

Celtic had two men sent off for dissent in the replay

Hibs Kerr Howie Shaw Finnigan Aird and Kean Smith Peat Milne Aitkenhead and Nutley

Att: 25000

1/6/1940 Rosebery Charity Cup Final

Hearts 2 v 5 Hibernian

Milne 3
    Finnigan 2

A very long season came to an end on Saturday 1st June when in the final of the Rosebery Charity Cup at Tynecastle the Hibees thrashed Hearts 2-5 the highlight being an Arthur Milne hatrick and a brace from Willie Finnigan Another highlight was a brilliant Jimmy Kerr save from a Tommy Walker penalty

Birthdays

David Murphy

www.fitbastats.com
    Last edited by BILLYHIBS; 02-06-2020 at 05:33 AM.

31/5/1979 Scottish League Premier Division

Hibernian 2 v 1 Rangers

Brazil
    Rae

On Thursday 31st May HIBS played their last match of the season against a Rangers side they were unable to beat only days earlier in three titanic Scottish Cup Finals and in true HIBS form went out and beat them 2-1 in front of only 3242 spectators the goals coming from Brazil and Rae

Hibs McArthur Brazil Duncan Bremner Stewart and McNamara Rae MacLeod Campbell Brown and Hutchinson
    I remember a geezer who had obviously came straight from work, he was wearing a boiler suit, ran on the park and put an arm around Arthur and had a word of consolation for him. Pretty big cheer from the crowd as he ran back to the terrace as I think we all felt the same and none of us would blame AD for what happened in the final.

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    I remember a geezer who had obviously came straight from work, he was wearing a boiler suit, ran on the park and put an arm around Arthur and had a word of consolation for him. Pretty big cheer from the crowd as he ran back to the terrace as I think we all felt the same and none of us would blame AD for what happened in the final.
    Me and my mates got dropped off at the Chesser Inn after the 3-0 doing from the Sheep at Hampden in the League Cup Final 1985 or 1986

Willie Allan told us to take our scarves off Big Dod Stewart appeared from the back still with his blazer and tie on he said “ naw these boys are fine Willie” He started to talk about the 79 Final he said that Arthur turned to him and said “ Sorry George!” He replied “ Dinnae worry about it Arthur “ but he felt like knocking his block off

As Eddie Turnbull said he didn’t think Arthur ever got over it and no one ever held it against him as he was a wonderful servant to the club and a great player

1968 Tour of Nigeria and Ghana

2/6/1968 Ghana Select 1 v 0 Hibernian

29/5/1968 Western Rovers 0 v 1 Hibernian

Stein

25/5/1968 Northern Lions 0 v 1 Hibernian

Cormack

22/5/1968 Nigerian Olympic 1 v 1 Hibernian

Cormack

Hibs would play their final game against a North Ghana Select on 5/6/1968 winning 2-0 after water was removed from the flooded pitch HIBS goals came from Colin Stein and a Joe Davis penalty but the highlight of the game came from the performance of young Peter Marinello on the right wing whose ball control wizardry brought great cheers and clapping from the local fans

2/6/1945 Summer Cup First Round Leg 2

Hibernian 7 v 0 St Mirren ( Agg 9-4 )

Weir 3
    Baxter 2
    Smith
    Caskie

Birthdays:

Franck Dja Djedje

Joe McLaughlin

Alex McGhee

www.fitbastats.com
    Last edited by BILLYHIBS; 02-06-2020 at 05:46 AM.

3/6/1944 Summer Cup Round One First Leg

Hibernian 4 v 2 Airdrieonians

Bogan 3
    Smith

1924 Tour of Austria

3/6/1924 Rapid Vienna 1 v 3 Hibernian

Jimmy Dunn
    Harry Ritchie 2

5/6/1924 Vienna Select 5 v 3 Hibernian

7/6/1924 British Army 1 v 1 Hibernian

Birthdays

Tony Higgins

www.fitbastats.com
    Last edited by BILLYHIBS; 03-06-2020 at 02:47 PM.

3/6/1978 WORLD CUP FINALS ARGENTINA

Peru 3 v 1 Scotland

Jordan

https://youtu.be/THMHg8BYhpk

4/6/1990 Wallace Mercer stages his controversial take-over attempt as he is introduced to a shocked HIBS Board in London

I flew out to Italia 90 on this day not knowing if I would still have a football club on my return

https://youtu.be/eLjZC0qcUFU

4/6/1967 North American League Match Day 3

Hibernian 2 v 0 Ado Den Haag

Cormack
    Davis (pen)

A decent performance as Ado had defeated Sunderland 6-1 in their previous game

Johnsparky2

www.fitbastats.com
    Last edited by BILLYHIBS; 04-06-2020 at 07:30 AM.

@hibs.net private member weecounty hibby's Avatar
    4/6/1990 Wallace Mercer stages his controversial take-over attempt as he is introduced to a shocked HIBS Board in London

I flew out to Italia 90 on this day not knowing if I would still have a football club on my return

https://youtu.be/eLjZC0qcUFU

4/6/1967 North American League Match Day 3

hibernian 2 v 0 Ado Den Haag

Cormack
    Davis

Johnsparky2

www.fitbastats.com
    You must be posh, flew out to Italia 90. We were a day and a half on a bus each way. Good laugh on the way there with the worlds biggest carry oot, but the journey home was no laughing matter

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by weecounty hibby View Post
    You must be posh, flew out to Italia 90. We were a day and a half on a bus each way. Good laugh on the way there with the worlds biggest carry oot, but the journey home was no laughing matter
    Did that for Spain 82. Fine in my twenties, wouldn't fancy it now. (Flew to Italia 90)

Landed at Pisa Airport and the whole plane burst into ‘Flower of Scotland’

Jambo that organised it a Travel Agent had us staying in a Farmhouse up in the hills in Pisa so we had to drive to Genoa ( twice) and Turin along the Auto Strada two wives two Bairns buggies food and other parafinalia that comes wi Bairns in a Renault V

It was handy for the sightseeing though Verona Sienna Florence etc

Landed at Pisa Airport and the whole plane burst into ‘Flower of Scotland’

Jambo that organised it a Travel Agent had us staying in a Farmhouse up in the hills in Pisa so we had to drive to Genoa ( twice) and Turin along the Auto Strada two wives two Bairns buggies food and other parafinalia that comes wi Bairns in a Renault V

It was handy for the sightseeing though Verona Sienna Florence etc
    In a 14 day holiday we spent a helluva lot of time in that bus. We stayed in Rimini and travelled to San Marino for the day, travelled to all three games and when you add in the three days of the journey, it a surprise how we managed to spend so much time in the pub!!! Great two weeks almost spoiled by the fat Tory *******. We beat him in the end though

First Team Breakthrough Smiggy 7-0's Avatar
    4/6/16
    My dear old dad passed away at St.John's in Livingston.
    At least he knew Hibs had won the Scottish Cup.

RIP dad

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Smiggy 7-0 View Post
    4/6/16
    My dear old dad passed away at St.John's in Livingston.
    At least he knew Hibs had won the Scottish Cup.

RIP dad
    💚

@hibs.net private member
    In a 14 day holiday we spent a helluva lot of time in that bus. We stayed in Rimini and travelled to San Marino for the day, travelled to all three games and when you add in the three days of the journey, it a surprise how we managed to spend so much time in the pub!!! Great two weeks almost spoiled by the fat Tory *******. We beat him in the end though
    I stayed in Rimini, too. Was on my own, and picked up a lift to Turin for the Brazil game on a supporters bus. Wonder if it was yours?

Quote Originally Posted by oneone73 View Post
    I stayed in Rimini, too. Was on my own, and picked up a lift to Turin for the Brazil game on a supporters bus. Wonder if it was yours?
    Possibly, I'm sure that for all of the games we had more folk on our bus than we actually had to start with. There wasn't a lot of rules, regulations or anything like that. There were about 20 of us from Alloa and a bunch of folk from the Falkirk area as well.

@hibs.net private member Argylehibby's Avatar
    NHC

19/5/2012 UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE FINAL

Chelsea 1 v 1 Bayern Munich ( 4-3 after pens )

Chatting about the game we don’t talk about brought this game to mind

Chelsea become the first London club to win the Champions League

https://youtu.be/sL3b2waEv74

Only 4 cities in the UK have had 2 teams reach the semi final stage of Europe's top competition (European cup /champions League). Can you name them?

Quote Originally Posted by Argylehibby View Post
    Only 4 cities in the UK have had 2 teams reach the semi final stage of Europe's top competition (European cup /champions League). Can you name them?
    Birmingham, London, Dundee, Manchester?

@hibs.net private member stantonhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Argylehibby View Post
    London, Glasgow, Manchester, Dundee ?

Quote Originally Posted by stantonhibby View Post
    London, Glasgow, Manchester, Dundee ?
    👍🏿