hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 93 1231151 ... LastLast
    @hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar

On this day in history

HIBERNIAN 2 v 0 PARTICK THISTLE

Scottish League Premiership 31/3/2018

MacLaren 71 Hanlon 76

Hibs : Bell Hanlon McGregor Ambrose Bartley McGeoch Stevenson Boyle Allan MacLaren and Kamberi

Subs Whitts for Bartley 65 Shaw for MacLaren 78 and Swanson for Allan 92

Unused Dabrowski Slivka Murray and Porteous

Pretty sure PARTICK scored a perfectly good goal that was disallowed in this match and HIBS went up the park and scored two

Danny Devine sent off for PARTICK on 86 minutes for a second yellow

https://youtu.be/PQFprqO9rA0
    Last edited by BILLYHIBS; 31-03-2022 at 05:58 AM.

2. Log in to remove the advert

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    HIBERNIAN 2 v 0 PARTICK THISTLE

Scottish League Premiership 31/3/2018

MacLaren 71 Hanlon 76

Hibs : Bell Hanlon McGregor Ambrose Bartley McGeoch Stevenson Boyle Allan MacLaren and Kamberi

Subs Whitts for Bartley 65 Shaw for MacLaren 78 and Swanson for Allan 92

Unused Dabrowski Slivka Murray and Porteous

Pretty sure PARTICK scored a perfectly good goal that was disallowed in this match and HIBS went up the park and scored two

Danny Devine sent off for PARTICK on 86 minutes for a second yellow

https://youtu.be/yVuh8kYYk6A
    Also on this day in history, another Scottish cup final 1923 , and despite not losing a single goal in the tournament, we lost 1-0 to the tribute act, with Maley brothers managing each team

Quote Originally Posted by tynehibs View Post
    Also on this day in history, another Scottish cup final 1923 , and despite not losing a single goal in the tournament, we lost 1-0 to the tribute act, with Maley brothers managing each team
    Willie Harper hesitated Cassidy nipped in for a headed goal in front of 80000 at Hampden

I went to see last Saturday
    The Battle of the Greens
    On the world renowned enclosure
    Thats the glory of the Queens
    There was very little in it
    It was quite an even fight
    Till a head gave the victory
    To the Celtic green and white

So here’s three cheers for Celtic
    And three more for the HIBS
    They couldn’t share the trophy
    But they shared the glittering dibs
    The Cup is on the sideboard
    Of the Glasgow club which means
    That the losers were the greener
    In the battle of the greens

Source: The Making of Hibernian The Romantic Years
    Alan Lugton

Another year of pain
    Last edited by BILLYHIBS; 31-03-2020 at 01:49 PM.

Scottish Championship 1/4/2017

Dunfermline 1 v 1 Hibernian

McGinn 12

A 25 yard drive from John McGinn and a second half penalty equaliser from Kallum Higginbotham after Lewis Stevenson was adjudged to have handled in the box

Hibs wore their away strip of yellow top black shorts and yellow socks 4000 hibbies made the journey through from Edinburgh
    Att: 7058

Hibs: Marciano McLean Stevenson McGregor Ambrose Bartley McGinn McGeoch Boyle Graham and Cummings
    Subs: Keatings for Boyle 76 Holt for Graham 78 and SDG for Cummings 93
    Unused: Laidlaw Fyvie Martin and Murray

Birthdays on this day:

Scott Martin
    Greg Miller
    Last edited by BILLYHIBS; 08-02-2021 at 10:39 AM.

Hearts 2 v 1 HIBS SPL 1/4/1989

Houchen 25

Transfer seeking Steve Archibald was left out of a HIBS team that included £300000 newcomer Keith Houchen from Coventry City

Hibs: Goram Hunter Sneddon May Rae Mitchell Orr Houchen Kane Collins Evans Subs Tortolano McCuskey

Att 22000

Hearts scorers Bannon and Robertson

Scottish Championship 2/4/2016

St Mirren 2 v 2 Hibernian

Cummings 27
    El Alagui. 89

Cummings opened the scoring latching onto McGinns threaded pass to place his effort underneath Jamie Langfield Rocco Quinn equalised for Saints and Lawrence Shankland gave them the lead on 57 minutes El Alagui came off the bench and slotted home a Stokes pass in the penultimate minute

This ended a run of four straight defeats by HIBS in the Scottish Championship

Hibs: Oxley Gray Hanlon McGregor Stevenson Bartley McGinn Henderson Boyle Cummings and Stokes

Subs: Dagnall on for Boyle 61 El Alagui on for Bartley 76

Unused: Virtanen Handling Gunnarson and Callum Donaldson
    Att: 3765

Scottish League Premier Division 2/4/1985

Hearts 2 v 2 Hibernian

I attended this game it was a Tuesday night game back in the day and HIBS were struggling near the foot of the table Hearts had built a well deserved lead to lead comfortably 2-0 and my mates had decided to call it a night and would see me back at the pub They would not believe me when I told them that Super Joe had come off the bench and curled home two worldy free kicks into Henry Smiths postage stamp to earn the Hibees a valuable point This was of course in the days before internet moblie phones and blanket football coverage

Hibs: Rough Sneddon Schaedler Munro Rae Brazil Callachan Kane Irvine Rice and Jamieson

Subs: McBride and Harris

Att:17814

Super Joe McBride in action not this game

https://youtu.be/75CBCuKOtp0

Scottish Championship 2/4/2016

St Mirren 2 v 2 Hibernian

Cummings 27
    El Alagui. 89

Cummings opened the scoring latching onto McGinns threaded pass to place his effort underneath Jamie Langfield Rocco Quinn equalised for Saints and Lawrence Shankland gave them the lead on 57 minutes El Alagui came off the bench and slotted home a Stokes pass in the penultimate minute

This ended a run of four straight defeats by HIBS in the Scottish Championship

Hibs: Oxley Gray Hanlon McGregor Stevenson Bartley McGinn Henderson Boyle Cummings and Stokes

Subs: Dagnall on for Boyle 61 El Alagui on for Bartley 76

Unused: Virtanen Handling Gunnarson and Callum Donaldson
    Att: 3765

Scottish League Premier Division 2/4/1985

Hearts 2 v 2 Hibernian

I attended this game it was a Tuesday night game back in the day and HIBS were struggling near the foot of the table Hearts had built a well deserved lead to lead comfortably 2-0 and my mates had decided to call it a night and would see me back at the pub They would not believe me when I told them that Super Joe had come off the bench and curled home two worldy free kicks into Henry Smiths postage stamp to earn the Hibees a valuable point This was of course in the days before internet moblie phones and blanket football coverage

Hibs: Rough Sneddon Schaedler Munro Rae Brazil Callachan Kane Irvine Rice and Jamieson

Subs: McBride and Harris

Att:17814

Super Joe McBride in action not this game

https://youtu.be/75CBCuKOtp0
    Like your mates, I left Tynie at 2-0 so not in the best position to doubt you but was it not only the equaliser that was a free-kick (I know Super Joe got both goals)? I only left with 5 mins to go, so a few Jambos jumped on the same bus as me at a stop further doon the road. I couldn't understand why they looked so miserable until I got home and checked Ceefax on the telly...!

Great memories though, so cheers - keep them coming!

Quote Originally Posted by SideBurns View Post
    Like your mates, I left Tynie at 2-0 so not in the best position to doubt you but was it not only the equaliser that was a free-kick (I know Super Joe got both goals)? I only left with 5 mins to go, so a few Jambos jumped on the same bus as me at a stop further doon the road. I couldn't understand why they looked so miserable until I got home and checked Ceefax on the telly...!

Yeah agree my memory getting a bit foggy defo one of them a free kick

I will still take the point though

Yeah agree my memory getting a bit foggy defo one of them a free kick

I will still take the point though
    Given the way derby results went at that time, it pretty much felt like a win! Just wish I'd stayed, but as you said Hearts lead was well-deserved and they were so comfortable I couldn't see a way back for us. The beauty of fitba! 😁

NHC: Scottish Cup Semi Final 2/4/2006

Hibernian 0 v 4 Hearts

A sackable performance from Zibi every Hibby in the Stadium knew this was coming with Riordan Killen and Michael Stewart missing but was still painful nonetheless Sproule and Gary Smith sent off

Hibs: Malkowski Whittaker Smith Caldwell Murphy Sproule Hogg Thomson Glass Fletcher and Benjelloun

Subs:Konte for Glass 62 Konde for Benji 70 and McCluskey for Fletcher 82

Unused: Simon Brown and Shields

Att:43180

Another year of pain

Edit: Zibi went on to play another 29 times for HIBS including a 2-1 win over Hearts on 22/4/2006 a few weeks later where he had to stop Benji from celebrating his goal at the FF end in front of the Hearts fans in the away end
    Last edited by BILLYHIBS; 02-04-2020 at 12:49 PM.

@hibs.net private member weecounty hibby's Avatar

I stayed to the end but like a whole heap of others had started making my way down towards the exit tunnel. When the first went in everyone stopped leaving meaning a big crush at the tunnel. When the second went in it was chaos. I fell and when I got up my top had a lovely pattern of footprints all over it!! Them were the days.

[QUOTE=weecounty hibby;6132732]I stayed to the end but like a whole heap of others had started making my way down towards the exit tunnel. When the first went in everyone stopped leaving meaning a big crush at the tunnel. When the second went in it was chaos. I fell and when I got up my top had a lovely pattern of footprints all over it!! Them were the days.[/QUOTE

Those tunnels at the Gorgie Road End were horrendous, especially as the majority of the Hibs support used to congregate right behind the goals just above and below them. More luck than design that there wasn't a serious accident.

Btw, the YouTube footage BillyHibs posted could well have been from.that game; it suggests the goal was New Year's Day 1986 but apparently it was Colin Harris who scored.

I discovered that by perusing Hearts results from that season. Think it's worth pointing out that on the opening day of 85-86 they were 1-0 up v Celtic until Paul McStay equalised in injury time. If Hearts had held out for the win, they would've been Marshall's Chunky Chicken Champions the week before Albert Kidd Day 😁

[QUOTE=SideBurns;6132765]
    Quote Originally Posted by weecounty hibby View Post
    I stayed to the end but like a whole heap of others had started making my way down towards the exit tunnel. When the first went in everyone stopped leaving meaning a big crush at the tunnel. When the second went in it was chaos. I fell and when I got up my top had a lovely pattern of footprints all over it!! Them were the days.[/QUOTE

Those tunnels at the Gorgie Road End were horrendous, especially as the majority of the Hibs support used to congregate right behind the goals just above and below them. More luck than design that there wasn't a serious accident.

Btw, the YouTube footage BillyHibs posted could well have been from.that game; it suggests the goal was New Year's Day 1986 but apparently it was Colin Harris who scored.

I discovered that by perusing Hearts results from that season. Think it's worth pointing out that on the opening day of 85-86 they were 1-0 up v Celtic until Paul McStay equalised in injury time. If Hearts had held out for the win, they would've been Marshall's Chunky Chicken Champions the week before Albert Kidd Day 😁
    Naw that goal was scored by Super Joe in a 1-1 draw at Tiny 1/11/1986 played on a Saturday afternoon

Pretty sure it was getting dark and the milk floats were oot when Joe scored his late double

www.fitbastats.com

[QUOTE=BILLYHIBS;6132783]

Naw that goal was scored by Super Joe in a 1-1 draw at Tiny 1/11/1986 played on a Saturday afternoon

Pretty sure it was getting dark and the milk floats were oot when Joe scored his late double

www.fitbastats.com
    Ah, right enough! My eyesight is brutal. Still, gave me another chance to talk about Hearts glorious double winning season 😁

[QUOTE=SideBurns;6132765]
    Quote Originally Posted by weecounty hibby View Post
    A section of one of them caved at a Hibs game. Late 80's maybe early 90's. They tried to blame the Hibs fans at the time. Couldn't have been their fault, nothing is.

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk

[QUOTE=Kato;6132814]

A section of one of them caved at a Hibs game. Late 80's maybe early 90's. They tried to blame the Hibs fans at the time. Couldn't have been their fault, nothing is.

Now, I've a vague recollection of that...no, wouldn't be their fault, that's for sure.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    [QUOTE=Kato;6132814]

[QUOTE=SideBurns;6132821]
    Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    Now, I've a vague recollection of that...no, wouldn't be their fault, that's for sure.
    It was the wall above the tunnel that collapsed - a hibs fan broke his arm IIRC.

@hibs.net private member weecounty hibby's Avatar
    [QUOTE=BILLYHIBS;6132783]

www.fitbastats.com
    It was definitely dark when Joe scored the equaliser

I remember my cardigan loving cousins telling me a few days later that Hibs didn’t gain a point Hearts gave them a point because of the money the Derby generates
    Funny it wasn’t the same case last month when they beat us

NHC: Scottish Cup Semi Final 2/4/2006

Hibernian 0 v 4 Hearts

A sackable performance from Zibi every Hibby in the Stadium knew this was coming with Riordan Killen and Michael Stewart missing but was still painful nonetheless Sproule and Gary Smith sent off

Hibs: Malkowski Whittaker Smith Caldwell Murphy Sproule Hogg Thomson Glass Fletcher and Benjelloun

Subs:Konte for Glass 62 Konde for Benji 70 and McCluskey for Fletcher 82

Unused: Simon Brown and Shields

Att:43180

Another year of pain

Edit: Zibi went on to play another 29 times for HIBS including a 2-1 win over Hearts on 22/4/2006 a few weeks later where he had to stop Benji from celebrating his goal at the FF end in front of the Hearts fans in the away end
    And the very significant news that a certain Scott Brown was declared unfit before KO.

Quote Originally Posted by Roxyhibee View Post
    And the very significant news that a certain Scott Brown was declared unfit before KO.
    Forgot about him significant loss

👍🏿

SPL 3/4/2011

hibernian 2 v 2 Hearts

Miller 35 pen
    Vaz Te 80

A Liam Miller penalty drew HIBS level after Zakiukas was sent off for a push on Sodje following a Ryan Stevenson opener Ricardo Vaz Te put HIBS into the lead with ten minutes left but Stephen Elliot equalised for ten man hearts in the 83rd minute Two fine saves from MacDonald prevented Riordan and Matt Thornhill from restoring HIBS lead

Hibs : Brown Dickoh Hanlon Booth Towell Thornhill Miller Scott Palsson Riordan and Sodje

Subs: Vaz Te for Jimmy Scott 46 Wotherspoon for Palsson 69 Murray for Miller 82

Unused Smith Stephens Stevenson and Nish

Att: 17793

SPL 3/4/2004

Hibs 3 v 1 Livingston

McManus 38
    Riordan 52 82

Hibs earned some revenge for their CIS Cup defeat and won just their fourth home game of the season
    Tom McManus scored from close range after 38 minutes Derek Lilley equalised early in the second half with a deft chip Riordan regained HIBS advantage prodding home Murdocks flick from a corner and secured the points with a powerful header from a Caldwell cross

Hibs : Andersson Caldwell Murdock Baillie Edge Brown Whittaker Thomson Reid Riordan and McManus

Used Subs O’Connor Orman and James Kane

Unused Alistair Brown and Fletcher

Att: 6507

Other significant results on this day

3/4/2019 Kilmarnock H 0-0

3/4/2018 Hamilton H 3-1

3/4/1999 Hamilton A 2-0

3/4/1982 Airdrieonians A 2-0

3/4/1963 Valencia H 2-1

Birthday wishes to Alan Combe

www.fitbastats.com
    Last edited by BILLYHIBS; 03-04-2020 at 10:26 AM.

European Cup Semi First Leg 4/4/1956

Reims 2 v 0 Hibernian

Hibs were through to the semi final and met the French club Reims in the Parc Des Princes on April 4 1956 More than 36000 spectators paid £15000 to see the tie

Hibs chased the first goal with adventurous spirit and their eagerness to strike cost them the tie Leblond headed the Frenchmen in front in the last half hour and almost on the whistle Bliard added another

Reims had a fabulous forward in Kopa who moved later to Real Madrid and a superb Centre Half in Jonquet These two fashioned the victory and the late goal was a stunning blow to HIBS

https://youtu.be/Gx1R64daxxU

HIBS: Younger Macfarlane Paterson Buchanan Grant and Thomson Smith Turnbull Reilly Combe and Ormond

Such was the interest in the European Cup that the return match attracted a gate of 50000 which turned out to be the highest in the competition

Hibs gave the same team a chance to pull back the two goals and they did everything except score Lawrie Reilly hit the post and Eddie Turnbull had a shot cleared off the line A masterly run by Kopa enabled Glovacki to make it 3-0 on aggregate so Reims ability to soak up pressure and counter attack skilfully took them through

Scottish First Division Old 4/4/1970

Hibernian 3 v 1 Dundee Utd

McBride 2
    Grant

Morris Stevenson opened the scoring for the visitors after 4 minutes Johnny Graham then got pulled down inside the box by Jim Henry and Joe McBride converted the penalty on 23 minutes Second half substitute Colin Grant gave HIBS the lead on 60 minutes and flying winger Eric Stevenson got pulled down inside the box on 75 minutes and Joe McBride converted the penalty

Hibs: Marshall Shevlane Jones Blackley Black Stanton Graham Hamilton McBride ORourke and Stevenson

Sub: Grant for Blackley 46

Att: 5051

Honourable mention to the late great Joe McBride I thought he was a fantastic player for HIBS and a prolific goal scorer scoring 24:28 in his first season and returning 58: 91 in all games

100 Years Of HIBS
    www.fitbastats.com
    Last edited by BILLYHIBS; 04-04-2020 at 11:57 AM.

Willie Harper hesitated Cassidy nipped in for a headed goal in front of 80000 at Hampden

I went to see last Saturday
    The Battle of the Greens
    On the world renowned enclosure
    Thats the glory of the Queens
    There was very little in it
    It was quite an even fight
    Till a head gave the victory
    To the Celtic green and white

So here’s three cheers for Celtic
    And three more for the HIBS
    They couldn’t share the trophy
    But they shared the glittering dibs
    The Cup is on the sideboard
    Of the Glasgow club which means
    That the losers were the greener
    In the battle of the greens

Source: The Making of Hibernian The Romantic Years
    Alan Lugton

Another year of pain
    Superb
    The Hibernian poets Society

Scottish League Cup Final 5/4/1969

Hibernian 2 v 6 Celtic

ORourke
    Stevenson

Oh dear another Cup Final and a crushing defeat from Celtic in what would be the first of three heavy defeats over the next decade

Let us rewind six months to a packed Tynecastle Stadium where HIBS faced a decent Dundee side in the League Cup Semi Final

Hibs had got to the semi final after beating East Fife 6-2 on aggregate in the Quarter Final after topping a group containing Raith Rovers St Johnstone and Falkirk

Hibs warmed up for the semi final with a crushing 5-1 home win over Airdrieonians so went into the tie in confident mood

The game kicked off at 100 mph with George McLean giving Dundee the lead and Colin Stein equalising thirty seconds later The game carried on at pace with Dundee having the better of the chances

With fifteen minutes left Alan McGraw got carried off on a stretcher with what appeared to be a serious leg injury and HIBS found themselves down to ten men as they had previously made their one substitution as they had replaced Quinn for ORourke

A great cheer went up from the Hibs support as minutes later Alan McGraw reappeared with his leg heavily bandaged brought on as purely nuisance value hobbling out on the wing

In the dying minutes as the clock ticked down McGraw managed to deflect an Eric Stevenson corner at the Gorgie Road end off his bandaged knee past a despairing Ally Donaldson and into the net to send the Hibernian horde behind his goal wild with delight

Minutes later the referee blew the final whistle and Alan McGraw was carried shoulder high from the field of play by his team mates as the Hibees knew they were on their way to Hampden

Eric Stevenson told the story in his book “HIBS through and through” that they were on £50 a man to reach the final and after the match he was walking along Princes Street with Goalkeeper Willie Wilson and in true western style they walked into a pub and Willie announced to all those present “ The drinks are on me”

The Final at Hampden due to be played at the end of October versus Celtic was delayed due to a fire in the South Stand at Hampden and was put back to the 5th April 1969

The final itself from a HIBS point of view was a damp squib Celtic were in irresistible form as they raced into an unassailable six goal lead with Lennox 3 Craig Auld and Wallace all scoring HIBS put a more respectable shine on things with late goals from a quickly taken ORourke free kick and a near post Stevenson header

Top scorer Colin Stein had long since departed for Ibrox and new top scorer Joe McBride was ineligible to play

Peter Cormack in his book “ From the cowshed to the kop” said that he was forced to play centre forward in this game and Billy McNeill could not have enjoyed an easier ninety minutes as the ball never once landed at his feet and McNeill won everything in the air

HIBS : Allan Shevlane Davis Stanton Madsen Blackley Marinello Quinn Cormack ORourke and Stevenson

Unused sub: Hunter

Att: 74253

https://youtu.be/wx2ePQycYtM

Other results on this day

5/4/2016 Championship Livingston H 2-1

5/4/2008 SPL St Mirren H 2-0

5/4/2003 SPL Kilmarnock H 2-1

5/4/1997 SPL Dundee United H 2-1
    Last edited by BILLYHIBS; 05-04-2020 at 08:52 PM.

Scottish Premiership 6/4/2019

Hearts 1 v 2 HIBS

Horgan 2

Hibs had not beaten Hearts in ten attempts at Tiny

Hearts dominated the early exchanges with Olly Lees free kick hitting the post before he crossed for Peter Haring to head home the opener on 25 minutes from a corner

Daryl Horgan equalised when he slid home a low cross following good work from Marc McNulty on the left despite Hearts claims that the HIBS centre forward was initially in an offside position

In the 56 th minute HIBS took the lead following a wonderful move full of fast intricate accurate pacy passing between Horgan Mallan and Kamberi which ended up with Horgan dispatching a low left foot drive into the bottom right hand corner of Bobby Zlamals net cue wild scenes in the School End

His goals apart Daryl Horgan was outstanding all day

McNulty should have made it three two minutes later with a header and brought out a great save from Zlamal in the dying minutes

The match will be remembered for the smoke bombs and the coconut on the pitch but the highlight for me was Darren MacGregors tackle on Peter Haring

This was HIBS first win at Tiny since 2013 and saw them jump above Hearts to finish in fifth place pre split but sadly that was to be their last win of the season

Hibs : Rocky Gray MacGregor Hanlon Stevenson Milligan Horgan Mallon Omeonga Kamberi and McNulty

Subs Bartley for Kamberi 73 Spector for Gray 77 and Slivka for Horgan 88

Unused Bogdan Murray Mackie and Allan

Att: 19667

https://youtu.be/nHeE4BcykHg

Scottish League Premier Division 6/4/1985

Dumbarton 0 v 2 HIBS

Irvine
    Rice

Following on from the superb display at Tynecastle in midweek where two late goals from Joe McBride rescued an unexpected but welcome point HIBS still found themselves locked perilously close to the foot of the division and faced a tricky and nervy away fixture at fellow strugglers Dumbarton

Such was the sense of urgency felt by the HIBS Board to turn around this situation that they put on buses for the large travelling support @ fifty pence per head

I actually attended this game hard to believe it was 35 years ago I can still feel the tension and nervousness in the air there was a huge HIBS support and Old Boghead Park was a dump of a ground with a pitch to match like a bog that had gone hard and bumpy

Looking at our team you wondered why we were at the bottom of the league?

Second half goals from Irvine and Rice would ease the Hibee nerves but they were not out of the woods yet back in the days of the old top ten the bottom two teams went down

A home draw to Dundee United 1-1 followed by an inexplicable 0-4 reverse at home to St Mirren a 2-1 away win at Morton followed up by a last day 1-0 win over Rangers scorer Paul Kane ensured that HIBS finished in eighth place eight points clear of the relegated Dumbarton with Morton picking up the wooden spoon

Hibs Rough Sneddon Munro Kane Rae and Brazil Callachan Durie Irvine Rice and McBride

Sub Jamieson

Att 5084

Birthdays on this day

Danny Lennon

Mark Venus

Joe Tortolano

Andy Walker

Erich Schaedler RIP

www.fitbastats.com
    Last edited by BILLYHIBS; 06-04-2022 at 07:14 AM.

Not football related, but on this day 700 years ago the Declaration of Arbroath was signed....

@hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HoboHarry View Post
    Not football related, but on this day 700 years ago the Declaration of Arbroath was signed....
    Sealed and delivered.
    There is no such thing as too much yarn, just not enough time.

Scottish League Division Two 7/4/1894

HIBS 6 v 0 Glasgow Northern

HIBS won comfortably in a league match at Easter Road on their way to winning the first ever Scottish League Division Two Championship

Hibernian were now back as a force in Scottish Football after being almost down and out a couple of years before

There was a catch however because there was no automatic promotion to Division One this was decided on a voting system and also the bottom three clubs had to apply for reelection

The Scottish League in their wisdom decided to vote Clyde into the first division who did not even finish runners up but were a Glasgow club

Generally the press had supported Hibernian but some showed anti Edinburgh and anti Catholic bias one stating “ they were not the type of club wanted in the first division”

There was a strong suspicion that Celtic and Hearts had voted against HIBS in their application for election

HIBS would just have to persevere and win the Second Division again in 1895 which they did and succeeded in going up

In their last game of the season on the 31st May 1894 at Powderhall they took some measure of revenge against First Division Hearts in the final of the Rosebery Cup by defeating them 4-2

The team that day was the same team that had played for most of the season Donnelly Rooney McFarlane Breslin McGeachan and Murphy Murray Kennedy Martin Smith and Amos

The Rosebery Cup is currently on display at Easter Road after Hibernian were the most recent winners in 1945

Scottish Cup Semi Final 7/4/1995
    Ibrox Park

HIBS 0 v 0 Celtic

Jim Leighton saved a disputed penalty after Andy Walker took a dive in the box

HIBS lost the replay 1-3 on 11/4/1995 Keith Wright scoring for HIBS

Another year of pain

HIBS : Leighton Miller Mitchell McGinlay Tweed Millen Harper Farrell Wright Jackson and ONeill

Att 40950

Hibs actually finished third this season behind Champions Rangers and Motherwell and two points ahead of fourth placed Celtic

Birthdays on this day

Scott Robertson

The Making of Hibernian The Brave Years
    Alan Lugton

www.fitbastats.com
    Last edited by BILLYHIBS; 07-04-2020 at 12:07 PM.

Scottish League Division One (Old) 8/4/1972

Hibernian 7 v 1 St Johnstone

Stanton
    Edwards
    ORourke
    Baker
    Gordon 2
    Duncan

There was something happening down Easter Road way the Tornadoes were starting to take shape but still not quite as we know it

Hibernian blew St Johnstone away with a scintillating display of fast attacking football goals from Stanton Edwards ORourke Baker Gordon 2 and Duncan in a totally brilliant display

Alex Rennie scored a consolation goal for St Johnstone in what was HIBS biggest win since they beat Partick Thistle 7-0 in September 1966

Hibs: Herriot Brownlie and Schaedler McEwan Blackley and Stanton Edwards ORourke Baker Cropley and Duncan

Att: 6358

Sadly this was to be the Baker Boys last goal for HIBS

I actually attended his last game for HIBS a Scottish Cup Semi Final versus Rangers in front of a crowd of 76174 on a hot sunny Saturday afternoon at Hampden one week after the St Johnstone game

Hibs started nervously and found themselves down to an Alex MacDonald goal but second half HIBS rallied Peter McCloy parried a Baker shot into the path of ORourke who had no hesitation in burying the ball into the back of the net to silence the large Rangers support

The replay took place two weeks later and HIBS blew Rangers away with a display of fast attacking football Stanton opening the scoring after 12 minutes and Alex Edwards completed the scoring after dispatching a Hazel knockdown into the net

It was a superb display from HIBS and Rangers could not compete with the accuracy and speed of the Hibernian passing in a game HIBS totally dominated from start to finish Ole! Ole!

I do not think any of the Supporters Buses returned to Edinburgh with their windows in tact

Both of these games made a young Billyhibs realise what a horrible and despicable club Rangers really were and they certainly did not like it up em!

Joe Baker was an unused sub

Other significant games on this day

8/4/2015 Championship Dumbarton A 2-1

8/4/1963 First Division Old Dundee A 3-1

Birthdays on this day

Big Dave

Gordon Chisholm

www.fitbastats.com
    Last edited by BILLYHIBS; 01-08-2021 at 07:33 AM.