hibs.net Messageboard

Testimonial Due
    Blog Entries

Anyone else dislike music?

I don’t like going in to a pub where there's music, I really don’t like buskers. I’ve only got one CD, my boss gave me it as a laugh!! I hate it at half time or before the game when the DJ thinks everyone wants to listen to some noise at a high volume. I just can’t stand it. I enjoy pubs where we can chat, I don’t mind crowds singing the songs etc. But this noise pollution is not for me.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by c31 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don’t like going in to a pub where there's music, I really don’t like buskers. I’ve only got one CD, my boss gave me it as a laugh!! I hate it at half time or before the game when the DJ thinks everyone wants to listen to some noise at a high volume. I just can’t stand it. I enjoy pubs where we can chat, I don’t mind crowds singing the songs etc. But this noise pollution is not for me.

Nah disagree, listening to 80's hits as I post this.

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    there's a difference between disliking loud music and disliking all music, anyone not liking all music is,well, it's just not right

i very much dislike heavy rock, i mean that's just not music is it, 140 decibels and jumping about shaking their heids 😄 i like the majority of genres...except heavy rock and opera :)

Left by mutual consent!

I like music but I've never understood people who try to pass off going to a gig as some sort of out-of-body experience.

Left by mutual consent!
    Another classic. How can anyone not love music? Each to their own I suppose. I hate pubs like the Cask and Barrel.

I don't like live music.

It surprises me how often I'm sitting in a nice quiet pub and some hairy drop out from reality walks in and sets up in the corner. The pubs then invaded by half a dozen hairy clones nodding in some sort of agreement but not in time!
    Space to let

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    I wouldn't say I dislike music, but I know what you mean.

I also own no CD's, would rarely pay to go to a gig, and don't enjoy pubs with blaring music (some light background music is good). I do listen to music while running or on the commute (when I had such a thing) though - but with having no particular music tastes, I just fire the radio on and let them decide what I listen to.
    Mon the Hibs.

I love music but I love my music.

Sitting in a pub whilst someone else blares out their idea of good music at a volume that makes conversation impossible is my idea of hell.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

I used to love gigs, now I don't really have any interest.

TBH having someone potter about on a guitar in the corner of a pub adds to the experience for me. There seems to be more of a "live music" culture in pubs in Ireland, which I've always liked.

Just all long as it isn't totally blaring - although on a Friday or Saturday night blaring is fine too.

Like the rest of the world, I'm working from home - I get much more done with the world blocked out when I've got my headphones on.

@hibs.net private member .Sean.'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Frankhfc View Post
    Yes
    ''It's always been just part of the culture. Growing up, for most working-class kids, is all about football, music or clothes. You might not have much money, but whatever you have got, you're going to look good.'' - Paul Weller

@hibs.net private member
    I love football...but if I had to choose between football and music, I’d choose Music..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Left by mutual consent!
    Music is a deeply personal experience. I'm sure I started a similar thread a while ago. I absolutely love and can be deeply moved by the music I like. However play some freeform jazz or power ballads at breakfast in a hotel or in a spa for example and I want to rip the speakers off the walls.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Music will make me cry much more easily than anything else.

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    I enjoy what I enjoy, anything else is at best ambient background noise and at worse an infuriating intrusion.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post

Sitting in a pub whilst someone else blares out their idea of good music at a volume that makes conversation impossible is my idea of hell.
    Juke boxes give me the fear. They’re always up to 11 and full of absolute pish.

I love music, other than Hibs it’s the most important thing in my life as far as leisure pursuits go.

I don’t watch much tv, can take or leave movies, but if I couldn’t listen to music I don’t know what I’d do.

Got about 1600 records and CD’s in my collection, probably split about 50/50 between records and CD’s. I don’t buy new vinyl any more as I think it’s a bit of a gimmick, happy buying albums on CD when it’s an artist I support. Streaming is fantastic as well for discovering new artists or ones you’ve forgotten about.

Used to go to loads of gigs, not so many these days as firm believer that live music is crap in fields and huge open exhibition centre spaces, anything bigger than the Playhouse is too big.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    Quote Originally Posted by cabbageandribs1875 View Post
    there's a difference between disliking loud music and disliking all music, anyone not liking all music is,well, it's just not right

i very much dislike heavy rock, i mean that's just not music is it, 140 decibels and jumping about shaking their heids 😄 i like the majority of genres...except heavy rock and opera :)
    Music is something that's so completely personal. Heavy rock has genuinely saved my life a few times. I don't think I'd be here without music, which has been my therapy in the darkest of times. That ability to tune into something so completely aggressive and find escape is pure catharsis for me.

I read "A History of Heavy Metal" by comedian and bassist in an anarcho-punk band (The Men That Will Not Be Blamed for Nothing) a while back, and he made the point that listening to heavy music requires conditioning of a sort, and I agree with him. I've been listening to metalcore and contemporary metal (e.g., Architects, Slipknot, Northlane...) since I was a teenager and I couldn't be without it now.

But I also understand why it's not for everyone. I also can't do opera

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304

Agree entirely. And despite how much I love my own music, I'm always timid to 'inflict' it on others.

I was at a stag do last year in April in Manchester and about 6 or 7 of the group of 15 went to Satan's Hollow one night and it was great to see so many others enjoy music that I've grown up with and have a pretty strong connection with. The other guys in our group didn't come along, and that's fine. As I said above, it's such a personal experience for any individual.

I’m with you on this and actually find being subjected to music I don’t like a bit painful. It certainly puts me in a foul mood if I’ve got to listen to it for anything more than 10 minutes.

With everyone now owning, and carrying, their own headphones I see no reason for music to be played anywhere in public.

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylar View Post
    Music is something that's so completely personal. Heavy rock has genuinely saved my life a few times. I don't think I'd be here without music, which has been my therapy in the darkest of times. That ability to tune into something so completely aggressive and find escape is pure catharsis for me.

I read "A History of Heavy Metal" by comedian and bassist in an anarcho-punk band (The Men That Will Not Be Blamed for Nothing) a while back, and he made the point that listening to heavy music requires conditioning of a sort, and I agree with him. I've been listening to metalcore and contemporary metal (e.g., Architects, Slipknot, Northlane...) since I was a teenager and I couldn't be without it now.

But I also understand why it's not for everyone. I also can't do opera
    What about a “rock opera”? SF Sorrows by The Pretty Things and Tommy by The Who were the first two to create the genre and very good IMO. As for actual opera, inclined to agree.