Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Rugby - Scotland v Wales 1975 - 104,000
    Football - Scotland v Czechoslovakia 1973 - 97,500
    Cricket - Australia v England 2006 MCG Boxing Day - 89,155
    Easter Road (afaik) - Hibs v Rangers 1973 SC Replay - 49,000

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Liberal Hibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That must be the largest crowd I've ever been in. Having said that it didn't feel that crowded where we were under the old egg box north stand - but there were a rather large number of original Rangers fans there - I think it is the first time I heard the word 'fenian'.
    This would have been the total attendance at the three games m8😁

Scotland v England 1970. Officially a capacity 134000 but supposedly many forged tickets. I bought a terracing ticket outside ground about half an hour before kickoff.

[QUOTE=gbhibby;6131185]Too much time on my hands. This is one for the oldies what is the largest attendance at a match you have attended.
    My games are
    Celtic v Leeds 1970 136000
    Scotland v England 1970 137000
    Scotland v England 1972 117000
    Hibs v Celtic 1972 106000
    Scotland v Wales Rugby 1975 104000

Largest attendance at Easter Road was for the 1972 Scottish Cup QF replay on the Wednesday night at Easter Road when Bobby Davidson made sure his boys got through 2-1, official attendance was 49007.

Quote Originally Posted by erin go bragh View Post
    Scotland v Spain 3-1 73.000 World Cup qualifier. Kenny D scored a cracker . Sure it has been voted as one of our best goals scored at Hampden.
    Was behind the goals for that one. Beauty.

Quote Originally Posted by Real Emerald View Post
    I’ve only ever been to one rugby match and that Wales game in 1975 was it. We left at half time as we were being crushed, you couldn’t move!
    It was mental. Got in with time to spare but no chance even getting up the stairs to the south terrace where I was supposed to meet my pals. Put on my best cherub face and blagged my way into the press deck with my big bro who was the copy boy for The Pink and had a pass. Ended up sitting on a wee ledge in front of the press deck - along with some Welsh supporters! How they got there beats me. After the match waiting at the top of the stairs for my bro to finish phoning through the copy, Bill McLaren came by. "Have a sweetie son" he says. Sad to say it was a polo mint, not a Hawick ball, but still star struck.

Blog Entries
    I was at Scotland England in 1964 when we won 1-0 in front of over 133k. We got in just before kick-off to be faced with a wall of people & the gangways blocked by police. As we tried desperately to squeeze on to the terrace the police moved aside & let the gangways fill. We raced down & got close to the front where we had a great view of Gilly scoring the winner. Took about half an hour to get out mind!!

Quote Originally Posted by Killiehibbie View Post
    That was my first visit to Wembley and it would be the biggest crowd of pure hatred i've been in unless the one there in 88? was bigger

The atmosphere was unbelievable, with mass fights breaking out between the Scotland Fans and the large gangs of English Skinheads.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith_M View Post
    The atmosphere was unbelievable, with mass fights breaking out between the Scotland Fans and the large gangs of English Skinheads.
    Constant fighting at the tunnel end and outbreaks all over the place at other times. No wonder they got rid of the fixture.

Coaching Staff
    I was at the 1972 Scotland v England game...it was packed.

Couldn't even move for a piss!

later revealed that there a lot of forged tickets sold for that end.

First Team Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by brog View Post
    I was at Scotland England in 1964 when we won 1-0 in front of over 133k. We got in just before kick-off to be faced with a wall of people & the gangways blocked by police. As we tried desperately to squeeze on to the terrace the police moved aside & let the gangways fill. We raced down & got close to the front where we had a great view of Gilly scoring the winner. Took about half an hour to get out mind!!

I was there. Stood halfway up the terracing. The only time I saw the ball was when it was kicked high in the air. The crush was worrying. The noise and atmosphere, unforgettable.

Constant fighting at the tunnel end and outbreaks all over the place at other times. No wonder they got rid of the fixture.
    Not sure if you're talking about Wembley 83 or 88 now, but I was at the 88 game (which will be the biggest attendance I've been in, rather than the Northern Ireland game I referred to earlier) and there were running battles all over the terracing. It was mental. England won 1-0, Beardsley I think?

Struggled to find a pub that would let Scotland fans in at night, until we bumped into a guy who was originally from Leith but now stayed in London who took us to his local. Can't say we were welcomed with open arms by the bar staff or other patrons, but they soon settled down when they realised we only wanted a few pints and frames of pool.

Testimonial Due
    1968 Scotland vs England 134,461

1996 England vs Scotland EURO 96

Hibs finals at Hampden would be my biggest Scottish games.
    Others would be....
    Old Trafford in 2010 for Rooney's return from injury and after signing a £250k per week contract - 74'200
    Wanda Metropolitano, Atletico v Dortmund Champions League in November 2018 - 69000-ish.
    Still doesn't beat 20k for a derby at ER though!! 😁🇳🇬

@hibs.net private member Willis1875's Avatar
    81,000 Dortmund V Schalke 2017,game finished 4-4 after Dortmund went 4 up, incredible game

Quote Originally Posted by SideBurns View Post
    Not sure if you're talking about Wembley 83 or 88 now, but I was at the 88 game (which will be the biggest attendance I've been in, rather than the Northern Ireland game I referred to earlier) and there were running battles all over the terracing. It was mental. England won 1-0, Beardsley I think?

Struggled to find a pub that would let Scotland fans in at night, until we bumped into a guy who was originally from Leith but now stayed in London who took us to his local. Can't say we were welcomed with open arms by the bar staff or other patrons, but they soon settled down when they realised we only wanted a few pints and frames of pool.
    Not sure what one had the bigger crowd but the 88 game was certainly worse for trouble. We got away up the road asap and I was in Porters just before midnight, guys didn't believe i'd been to Wembley until I showed them the programme and told them my brother was driving.

Largest crowd at a sporting event I attended was the 1973 World Speedway Final at Chorzow in Poland with an attendance of c. 130,000.

Was my second World Final in Poland, with the Iron Curtain firmly in place & it was 1 day fly in/fly out tours requiring visas and strictly controlled travel throughout.

Remember when the Russian riders were introduced, a cacophony of whistling by the Poles vibrated round the Stadium , as the locals detested them.

There were even Russian soldiers in uniform amongst the crowd but that didn't deter the Poles nearby shouting & gesticulating their displeasure at those wearing the Hammer & Sickle race jackets.
    Last edited by joebakerforever; 04-04-2020 at 03:32 AM.

Not sure what one had the bigger crowd but the 88 game was certainly worse for trouble. We got away up the road asap and I was in Porters just before midnight, guys didn't believe i'd been to Wembley until I showed them the programme and told them my brother was driving.

At the '83 match, there were large groups of organised English hooligans (the 'kick a Jock campaign' being one thing I remember). The Scottish Fans weren't actually organised but there was a very large, violent (drunk) element that had being causing trouble at those games for years.

I think the difference at the '88 game was that it was at the peak of the Casuals era in both England and Scotland.

I was at the 0-0 game at Hampden and in the scotia bar with a couple of mates
    Next thing the pub was heaving with Geordie boys
    They been fighting with West Ham firm on the train up
    At central station they said they were ambushed and took a kicking
    A few minutes later one of them pipes up
    “It was those Hibs b******s that got us”
    For once I thought good on The HIBS boys as the English mobs were a bunch of ars*holes at the time

Have been to Wembley, Bernabeu and Nou camp. Think biggest crowd I've been in in Scotland would be at Parkhead. Was at some Scotland games as a kid in early/mid 80s that probably beat it. Not sure though as can't remember.

July 15 2000, Olympic Stadium, Sydney
    35-39 Australia / New Zealand
    A world record crowd for a Rugby Union match in the greatest game ever played

All Black's were 21-0 up before the Wallabies had touched the ball.
    Wallabies got back to 24-24 at half time.
    Jonah Lomu scored in injury time in the corner to win the match.

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Scotland 0 v 1 England 27/5/1972

I attended this game just because John Brownlie was playing

Interesting footage Brownlie just about scores near the end

Bobby Clark disnae bother aboot gloves back when men were men

https://youtu.be/CNQGE7lw78s

At Easter Rd 49,000
    At a concert in Berlin 300,000 estimated.
    Humpden 112,000 1968/9 league cup final where we got gubbed once more 6-2

Quote Originally Posted by A Hi-Bee View Post
    At Easter Rd 49,000
    At a concert in Berlin 300,000 estimated.
    Humpden 112,000 1968/9 league cup final where we got gubbed once more 6-2
    Andre Rieu ?

Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    Andre Rieu ?
    Sorry Billy never ****in heard of him/her
    it was Roger Waters when the wall came tumbling doon.

Quote Originally Posted by A Hi-Bee View Post
    Sorry Billy never ****in heard of him/her
    it was Roger Waters when the wall came tumbling doon.
    Got the Blu-ray somewhere

Andre Rieu is for grannies

Football Match - Scotland v Sweden at Hampden, September 1981, 82,000.

Concert - Iron Maiden Donington 1988, 108,000. 2 fans were killed in crushes at the front due to the ground turning into a mudbath.

The 1972 cup final against
    Celtic if memory is correct there was over a 100 thousand with my dad and his friends

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by May21/05/16 View Post
    The 1972 cup final against
    Celtic if memory is correct there was over a 100 thousand with my dad and his friends

Your Dad must have been a really popular guy.

Wembley 1966 WC---Uruguay v Mexico, presume it was sold out, I can remember being packed in and not being able to see much, 'cept sombreros
    Also early 70's England v Wales, not sure if it sold out or not.
    Both matches ended up goalless