hibs.net Messageboard

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Books

Just finished ali: his life and times.

Really good biography, although it was done early 90s so probably about 20 years out of date. Last chapter is maybe a wee bit preachy on the Islamic faith, but works given the other chapters. Was done with full consultation from Muhammad.

Moving onto "ultra, the underworld of Italian football" next.

2. Log in to remove the advert

I've been reading the Agony of Victory.

A book about sportspeople who have pushed themselves to extremes and/or are the clichéd flawed genius.

Graeme Obree featured. I knew a bit about him but didn't realise just how shafted he had been by the cycling authorities. He was also shunned because he was calling out institutionalised doping years before anyone wanted to believe it. As one contributor put it he should have been the poster child for what could be achieved clean through innovation and instead he was vilified by blazers who were protecting cheats.

Peter Weber, Gerry Lingdren, Marshall Rogers and Dmitry Salita are some of the others to feature. It'd an interesting read and well written. Amazing how fine the line is between genius and insanity

Quote Originally Posted by Onceinawhile View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Money was an enjoyable book. Only one of his I've read though, which suggests I didn't love it enough to go and track down his other books.

If anyone enjoys travel books then I can recommend the following:

Around the world in 80 trains.

Tears at La Bombanera (this is about travelling around South America, watching football games).

Both were really enjoyable.
    Money is hilarious. I loved that book.