hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Books

I can normally take or leave autobiographies. I just read Andre Agassis and couldn't put it down. Really good read and he's had one hell of a life.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I can normally take or leave autobiographies. I just read Andre Agassis and couldn't put it down. Really good read and he's had one hell of a life.
    Totally agree. Excellent book.

@hibs.net private member Godsahibby's Avatar
    Shantaram by Gregory Roberts.

An amazing story. I could genuinely feel I was there with the sights and smells of India not many books have done that to me.

Interestingly I started the follow up but never really got into it.

Try any of the three novels of Graeme Macrae Burnet.

His Bloody Project is the best known and was nominated for the Booker but they're all good psychological crime stuff.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    Try any of the three novels of Graeme Macrae Burnet. His Bloody Project is the best known and was nominated for the Booker but they're all good psychological crime stuff.
    Right, thanks for the tip. I've bought it on Kindle. I'd heard about it when it was nominated but your recommendation has reminded me.

Note - I also bought Amelia Gentleman's book The Windrush Betrayal which is on offer for just 83p on Amazon.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomsk View Post
    I've read all of Dickens' novels except A Tale of Two Cities, Edwin Drood, half of Barnaby Rudge and half of The Old Curiosity Shop. The last two I just couldn't finish as life is too short and they were just too boring. I think you've done really well. If I had my time again I wouldn't bother with Martin Chuzzlewit and Hard Times. However, Great Expectations and Little Dorrit are well worth the effort in me 'umble 'pinion.
    A tale of two cities is a really good read. Takes a few pages to get into the style and flow but well worth it.

The Little Friend by Donna Tartt. Small town Mississippi intrigue. So well written.

@hibs.net private member G15 Hibs's Avatar
    I'm currently reading Devil's Day by Andrew Michael Hurley, after finishing his debut novel The Loney recently. Both mainly set in rural Lancashire, both modern day atmospheric landscape based folk horror, if you're into that kind of thing.

I can recommend ‘Dead In The Water’ by Penny Farmer.

It’s a true story about her brother and his girlfriend going missing in Central America. It’s a triumph of her will to find out the truth.

@hibs.net private member
    The Little Friend by Donna Tartt. Small town Mississippi intrigue. So well written.
    The Secret History , her first book is one of my all time favourites ....

Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    The Secret History , her first book is one of my all time favourites ....
    Yes I loved that one too. Great book.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by CmoantheHibs View Post
    Yes I loved that one too. Great book.
    Me too! As I remember, I disliked almost everybody in it, but still really enjoyed it.

@hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    I used to read ‘The Ragged Trousered Philanthropists’ with my son, while he was adapting to ‘grown-up’ books. He has now gone back, after a few years, to reading it on his own, as he preps for his Highers.

I bought my daughter a copy of her own, but she is working through 1001 Arabian Nights. That might be a transition

Nevertheless, both would rather be on social media or streaming my Spotify account to play music that makes me feel old because I don’t recognise it.

I have just taken on Orlando Figes ‘The Whisperers’. It is an account, as it were, of how ‘ordinary’ people survived and lived in Stalinist Russia. I have a couple of other of his works but the only one I have read is ‘Natasha’s Dance’ which is a narrative of Russia’s cultural history from the mid- nineteenth to the mid-twentieth century.

It is masterful. The title of the book refers to a scene from Tolstoy’s ‘War and Peace’. The author is informed, informative and not afraid to intellectualise.

My favourite bit is towards the end where he desctibes the relationship between Shostakovich and Stravinsky. I am an ardent fan of Shostakovich’s works and if it were a Desert zIsland Discs scenario then he would be the prime candidate, but Stravinsky can claim to have changed music in a way that few others have. Probably only Beethoven, Bach and maybe Monteverdi or Palestrina before him.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

@hibs.net private member Craig_HFC's Avatar
    I'm reading 'The Nowhere Men: The Unknown Story of Football's True Talent Spotters' by Michael Calvin and it's really interesting and enjoyable so far.
    PERSEVERE
    Verb: pə:ːsɪ'ˈvɪə/
    To not give up.
    To go the distance.
    To stop at nothing.

@hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    Anyone who likes crime novels should be watching Bloody Scotland crime festival this weekend.

https://bloodyscotland.com/watch/?mc...eid=a6c4aafee8

Today at 1pm is Anne Cleeve and Peter May. I imagine Peter will be talking about the book he wrote in 2005,but was only published last month because the idea was too outlandish for people to relate to.

https://www.waterstones.com/book/loc.../9781529411690

Maybe everyone needs to read it.
    There is no such thing as too much yarn, just not enough time.

Shuggie Bain. Anyone read it?
    Honestly, judging by reviews it looks utterly miserable. I've had enough of that.
    Gimme some laughs!

Honestly, judging by reviews it looks utterly miserable. I've had enough of that.
    Gimme some laughs!
    Try and find the BBC Scotland programme with Damien Barr where the author is interviewed. You might change your mind

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000nz0j/episodes/guide
    Last edited by Moulin Yarns; 11-12-2020 at 04:37 PM.

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Currently enjoying Viv Albertine’s autobiography “Clothes Clothes Clothes Boys Boys Boys Music Music Music”. Fabulous book and some great stories about the Slits, Sex Pistols, Clash and more. Can’t recommend enough.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

Just finished the Water Dancer by Ta Nehisi Coates. Story about slave life in America with a bit supernatural thrown in. Great interesting character building and an engrossing story. I found it interesting and an enjoyable read.

Not a recommendation, but I am reading aloud every night after dinner a book called Silent Knit, Deadly Knit. It has 24 chapters so it is an advent book. It's a trashy murder mystery.

There is just my wife and I but I'm enjoying reading aloud to someone.
    There is no such thing as too much yarn, just not enough time.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Moulin Yarns View Post
    Not a recommendation, but I am reading aloud every night after dinner a book called Silent Knit, Deadly Knit. It has 24 chapters so it is an advent book. It's a trashy murder mystery.

There is just my wife and I but I'm enjoying reading aloud to someone.
    Nice thing to do together.

Reading another Reacher story “Worth Dying for”

The baddies are called

The Duncan’s

Can’t stop having a wee laugh every time I read their name.

Childish I know😂

Gimme some laughs!
    Reading this just now. Half way through. Poverty, addiction and abuse laid bare interspersed with very dark humour.

I can’t put the book down ( except to post on here)😀

So far it’s a fantastic book!

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Started Barack Obama's memoirs just recently. Very interesting so far and doesn't spend too much time on the pre-politics years which is a complaint I have about a lot of autobiographies or memoirs.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

Reading Tim Peake autobiography. very good so far. Interesting life he's had.

Quote Originally Posted by nellio View Post
    Reading Tim Peake autobiography. very good so far. Interesting life he's had.
    Just finished that, really enjoyed it. More pilot than astronaut related content but some great stories all the same.

He's touring later in the year, few dates in Scotland.

https://www.ents24.com/uk/tour-dates/tim-peake

I started reading Doctor Zhivago recently after (almost) watching it all the way through for (almost) the second time ever around Christmas. If its anything like my attempts at watching the film then I might finish it around the time covid restrictions end for good.

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by G15 Hibs View Post
    I started reading Doctor Zhivago recently after (almost) watching it all the way through for (almost) the second time ever around Christmas. If its anything like my attempts at watching the film then I might finish it around the time covid restrictions end for good.
    It's a tough read. Part of my problem was the complicated Russian names; I kept having to flick back through the pages to remind myself "who was that again?".

If you're still interested after what will be a marathon, my mate made a documentary about Pasternak a while back. It's not on iPlayer just now, but I'll ask him if it's anywhere else.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09djrvr

Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    It's a tough read. Part of my problem was the complicated Russian names; I kept having to flick back through the pages to remind myself "who was that again?".

If you're still interested after what will be a marathon, my mate made a documentary about Pasternak a while back. It's not on iPlayer just now, but I'll ask him if it's anywhere else.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09djrvr

Good luck
    Cheers man. It wasn't until this morning that I found out he was actually more of a poet than a novelist, which I suppose makes sense.

Re. the names - aye, the Russians make it complicated eh? I'm trying to decide whether its best to keep flicking back, or just remember the main characters and accept everyone else is just part of the background like a tree or something - focus on the atmosphere more than the specifics.
    Last edited by G15 Hibs; 16-02-2021 at 11:46 AM.

@hibs.net private member Dalianwanda's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I just finished John Cooper Clark’s autobiography..I was gonna say a brilliant read but I actually got the audio book. Amazingly candid & honest, painful & funny. The guys lived a life for sure.