hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is how it felt (Dunfermline 17 09 1966)

My next memory is one of my very early opportunities to watch Hibs and was in fact the first away game I’d attended that wasn’t a derby. Speaking of derbies, the reason I got to go to this match was that my pal’s Dad, who took us to ER whenever finances allowed, was in a cracking mood because we’d just cuffed Hearts 3-1 at Easter Road the Saturday before. That motivated him to take his son and I to East End Park, Dunfermline on Saturday 17 September 1966 and what a day it turned out to be.

We were in the ground bright and early and as usual, my heart flipped when I watched Hibs running out in the stunning emerald green and white kit. I was mega excited with it being my away ‘debut’ and the players never let me down, although it was a close run thing in the end.

The atmosphere was excellent and I was wrapped up in that until Hibs took the lead when Peter Cormack smashed one in from twenty five yards. The roar of approval was deafening and one I’ll never forget because the Pars were a pretty decent team back then.

Moments later there was another roar as Jim Scott doubled the lead and I had the idea in my innocent young head that every away game would surely be the same in future! Hibs’ goalkeeper Thomson Allan didn’t have the same luxury of watching on without a care in the world and a couple of excellent saves from him ensured we reached half time 2-0 ahead.

The second half was not long in progress when Eric Stevenson made it 3-0 and when McGraw scored a fourth minutes later we’d surely secured the points? The Pars had other ideas however but poor handling by Thomson Allan saw the pars nick one back and then they grabbed another with a fine shot from outside the box.

Suddenly I was nervous and my fellow Hibs fans felt just the same until McGraw made it 5-2 with about fifteen minutes to go. I don’t suppose we’ll ever know why but Hibs hit the panic button and instead of defending stoutly their heads seemed to go and before we knew where we were, Dunfermline rattled in three without reply. From 4-0 to 4-2 to 5-2 to 5-5, I was dizzy by this time I confess.

What happened next bordered on insanity. Dunfermline got a sixth, or so they thought but the ball had not crossed the line and Hibs broke forward, earning a free kick around half way. I doubt I was the only fan hoping they’d just keep the ball and waste time but the players clearly had other ideas. Taking the free kick quickly, McGraw fed Jim Scott who raced in on goal and fired home a glorious and never to be forgotten winner!

I loved my first away game, I mean who wouldn’t but I swear those frayed nerves stood me in good stead for the tears ahead as all too often Hibs had me wishing I bit my nails.

Hibs: Allan, Duncan, Davis, Stanton, McNamee, Cousin, Cormack, Stein, Scott, McGraw and Stevenson.

Footnote: In those early years I had two heroes in John McNamee and Pat Stanton. They couldn’t have been more different as players but I loved watching them.
    This is how it feels

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Brilliant Jonnyboy

Thanks for posting

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyboy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    My next memory is one of my very early opportunities to watch Hibs and was in fact the first away game I’d attended that wasn’t a derby. Speaking of derbies, the reason I got to go to this match was that my pal’s Dad, who took us to ER whenever finances allowed, was in a cracking mood because we’d just cuffed Hearts 3-1 at Easter Road the Saturday before. That motivated him to take his son and I to East End Park, Dunfermline on Saturday 17 September 1966 and what a day it turned out to be.

We were in the ground bright and early and as usual, my heart flipped when I watched Hibs running out in the stunning emerald green and white kit. I was mega excited with it being my away ‘debut’ and the players never let me down, although it was a close run thing in the end.

The atmosphere was excellent and I was wrapped up in that until Hibs took the lead when Peter Cormack smashed one in from twenty five yards. The roar of approval was deafening and one I’ll never forget because the Pars were a pretty decent team back then.

Moments later there was another roar as Jim Scott doubled the lead and I had the idea in my innocent young head that every away game would surely be the same in future! Hibs’ goalkeeper Thomson Allan didn’t have the same luxury of watching on without a care in the world and a couple of excellent saves from him ensured we reached half time 2-0 ahead.

The second half was not long in progress when Eric Stevenson made it 3-0 and when McGraw scored a fourth minutes later we’d surely secured the points? The Pars had other ideas however but poor handling by Thomson Allan saw the pars nick one back and then they grabbed another with a fine shot from outside the box.

Suddenly I was nervous and my fellow Hibs fans felt just the same until McGraw made it 5-2 with about fifteen minutes to go. I don’t suppose we’ll ever know why but Hibs hit the panic button and instead of defending stoutly their heads seemed to go and before we knew where we were, Dunfermline rattled in three without reply. From 4-0 to 4-2 to 5-2 to 5-5, I was dizzy by this time I confess.

What happened next bordered on insanity. Dunfermline got a sixth, or so they thought but the ball had not crossed the line and Hibs broke forward, earning a free kick around half way. I doubt I was the only fan hoping they’d just keep the ball and waste time but the players clearly had other ideas. Taking the free kick quickly, McGraw fed Jim Scott who raced in on goal and fired home a glorious and never to be forgotten winner!

I loved my first away game, I mean who wouldn’t but I swear those frayed nerves stood me in good stead for the tears ahead as all too often Hibs had me wishing I bit my nails.

Hibs: Allan, Duncan, Davis, Stanton, McNamee, Cousin, Cormack, Stein, Scott, McGraw and Stevenson.

Footnote: In those early years I had two heroes in John McNamee and Pat Stanton. They couldn’t have been more different as players but I loved watching them.

Bloody hell, I remember that, was not at the game, don't know why I remember this but I was having usual kicks out at bruntsfield links that Saturday and going home saw a paper, evening news I think, and you used to get the half times in the stop press bit on the bottom left or maybe right, canny quite mind, anyway, time I got home the score was 6-5, even in my young days I thought that was mad, great memory 😁

@hibs.net private member
    Great read. Just a bit before my time.

Can't believe Stevenson was playing back then!

Dunfermline of course claimed the ball was still moving when McGraw put his hand on it and knocked it on to Scott.Not even Jim would have have claimed to fire it home.He had that funny stuttering run and the ground was very hard and the ball bounced its way in.One of the highlights was when a Hibs fan threw an empty lemonade bottle at the big drummer in the half time pipe band so didn’t get to see the second half.It was a great day out.I liked going to Dunfermline,Falkirk and Kirkcaldy and saw some terrific games all thanks to public transport.

What a game that must have been and all on your away debut. Great read!

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    These threads are brilliant, JB.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Must have been the September weekend, because I was in a caravan at St Andrews.

My Dad and I were listening to the full time scores on the radio. ....

Dunfermline 5....

I've never seen a grown man change his mood so quickly. 🤣

Blog Entries
    Ah John, brilliant as ever but my memory of the final 2 key incidents is very different. Firstly there's no doubt that Pars scored a 6th. I remember King Pat laughing when he told me Big John's studs almost caught in the net as he cleared the ball. 2ndly Jim Scott's winner was about the scruffiest goal I've ever seen. When Jim ran through on goal he mi**** his shot. The ball rebounded off the keeper and hit Jim on the shin. Jim and the keeper fell down on the ground together & watched as the ball slowly trundled over the line. What was ironic was our 1st 5 goals were all wonder goals whereas 4 of Pars were scrambled affairs. Great memories & for once the footballing gods smiled down on us! PS, I think the Pars keeper was ex Hearts, Graham?

Quote Originally Posted by brog View Post
    Ah John, brilliant as ever but my memory of the final 2 key incidents is very different. Firstly there's no doubt that Pars scored a 6th. I remember King Pat laughing when he told me Big John's studs almost caught in the net as he cleared the ball. 2ndly Jim Scott's winner was about the scruffiest goal I've ever seen. When Jim ran through on goal he mi**** his shot. The ball rebounded off the keeper and hit Jim on the shin. Jim and the keeper fell down on the ground together & watched as the ball slowly trundled over the line. What was ironic was our 1st 5 goals were all wonder goals whereas 4 of Pars were scrambled affairs. Great memories & for once the footballing gods smiled down on us! PS, I think the Pars keeper was ex Hearts, Graham?
    Goalie was ex Hawrtz and Bonnyrigg Rose goalkeeper David Anderson playing his last game for the pars having lost six to Celtic in the Cup four days previously

Source: HHT
    Last edited by BILLYHIBS; 30-03-2020 at 09:50 PM.

@hibs.net private member greenginger's Avatar

You’re right about the 6th goal. I was behind the goals when it went in, reckon it only crossed the line by a foot.
    Then mayhem , everyone piled onto the pitch in a mini invasion.

@hibs.net private member erin go bragh's Avatar
    Brilliant JB . Sounds a bit like our 6-6 with Motherwell but with a better ending .
    SCOTTISH CUP WINNERS 2016
    GGTTH

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by erin go bragh View Post
    Brilliant JB . Sounds a bit like our 6-6 with Motherwell but with a better ending .
    The goal scoring sequence was almost identical. 4 0 & 5 2 as opposed to 4 0 & 6 2.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    Goalie was ex Hawrtz and Bonnyrigg Rose goalkeeper David Anderson playing his last game for the pars having lost six to Celtic in the Cup four days previously

Source: HHT
    Thats right, think David Graham was 70s. 👍

Thats right, think David Graham was 70s. 👍
    Sleepy Hollow is in lockdown just now gave me something to do

@hibs.net private member Alfred E Newman's Avatar
    Not having the sort of blanket coverage that we have today, I remember listening to the results on the radio that day at 5 o’clock and my heart sinking when I heard - Dunfermline 5 but then the announcers raised pitch - Hibernian 6.

My dad had always insisted this was the best game he’d ever witnessed back in his youth and I always thought it was too good to be true until now! Thanks for the post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ancient hibee View Post
    Dunfermline of course claimed the ball was still moving when McGraw put his hand on it and knocked it on to Scott.Not even Jim would have have claimed to fire it home.He had that funny stuttering run and the ground was very hard and the ball bounced its way in.One of the highlights was when a Hibs fan threw an empty lemonade bottle at the big drummer in the half time pipe band so didn’t get to see the second half.It was a great day out.I liked going to Dunfermline,Falkirk and Kirkcaldy and saw some terrific games all thanks to public transport.
    I always loved the game on January 2, especially if it was away & we had won the day before. We nearly always had a surprise in our line up! I remember 17 yo Peter Marinello making his debut at a frozen Starks Park, 2-2 I think, & a tiny wee winger, Johnny Grant making his debut on Ne'er Day & scoring away at Falkirk the next day in a 4-1 win. He never scored again & only played a handful of games in total.

I defer to your greater memory, B. I kinda got carried away on a wave of nostalgia

Quote Originally Posted by erin go bragh View Post
    That very game crossed my mind as I was writing.
    This is how it feels

@hibs.net private member linlithgowhibbie's Avatar
    Remember it well as it was the first game outside Edinburgh I had gone to myself.
    I went to the top of the lane where lots of supporters club buses left. They were all packed. I squeezed onto one, it was the Carlton bus, ended up sitting on the engine cover beside the driver.
    Was totally amazed to see so many buses parked on the long street behind their main stand. There were thousands of Hibbies there.
    My biggest memory of the game was a bottle flying over my head and landing near the corner flag just in front of where I was standing at the boundary barrier.
    Went on to join the Carlton branch along with two of my big brothers who also played for the Carlton Hibs sunday football team who absolutely walked the Maybury league for years.
    Well known Hibbies Ronnie Ferguson and Fred Leggat (who posts on dot net) were amongst the players in that team.
    Was a member of the Carlton branch till I started the Linlithgow branch in 1982, happy days

Great report and a magic memory for you JohnnyBoy.

Fantastic report - was getting tense reading it.!

I was 6 and had started to go to games although not away ones at that point - but was aware of some of the crazy results we got around that time 11-1, 11-1 etc.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by linlithgowhibbie View Post
    Remember it well as it was the first game outside Edinburgh I had gone to myself.
    I went to the top of the lane where lots of supporters club buses left. They were all packed. I squeezed onto one, it was the Carlton bus, ended up sitting on the engine cover beside the driver.
    Was totally amazed to see so many buses parked on the long street behind their main stand. There were thousands of Hibbies there.
    My biggest memory of the game was a bottle flying over my head and landing near the corner flag just in front of where I was standing at the boundary barrier.
    Went on to join the Carlton branch along with two of my big brothers who also played for the Carlton Hibs sunday football team who absolutely walked the Maybury league for years.
    Well known Hibbies Ronnie Ferguson and Fred Leggat (who posts on dot net) were amongst the players in that team.
    Was a member of the Carlton branch till I started the Linlithgow branch in 1982, happy days
    Hi B, although an Eastern Branch Member while living in Edinburgh I played for Carlton Hibs in 70's alongside your 2 brothers, D was a particularly good friend. Freddie actually left as I arrived but I had the great pleasure of kicking him up in the air a few times when in opposition! Sorry Fred! As you say CH were a good team in those days, I remember us beating Tollcross Hearts 5-1 in an effective league decider & about 2 weeks later about 9 of the Tollcross team were in the Pencaitland team that IIRC, won the Scottish Amateur Cup. Apologies for the nostalgia digression!

Quote Originally Posted by Alfred E Newman View Post
    Not having the sort of blanket coverage that we have today, I remember listening to the results on the radio that day at 5 o’clock and my heart sinking when I heard - Dunfermline 5 but then the announcers raised pitch - Hibernian 6.
    Strange you mention that about the radio announcer
    A pal of mine was in approved school in Bishopbriggs at the time
    The school was full of tims !
    They were about to give him pelters when the announcer said 5 ..then a pause ....Hibernian SIX !!
    Ma pal had the last laugh.

A season ticket holder in the East he is to this day.

I too was at the game (14 yr old) and my only recall is the final goal which certainly did take an age to cross the line .
    I was behind that goal.

Cue madness and mayhem!!

Back then we used to take as many fans to East End park and Starks as we had at some home games !

The Forth Road bridge had only been open a few years.
    Prior to that, going "north" meant a long road haul via Kincardine Bridge.
    Unless you got the train...or the ferry!
    Last edited by Mick O'Rourke; 01-04-2020 at 10:27 AM.

T
    I always loved the game on January 2, especially if it was away & we had won the day before. We nearly always had a surprise in our line up! I remember 17 yo Peter Marinello making his debut at a frozen Starks Park, 2-2 I think, & a tiny wee winger, Johnny Grant making his debut on Ne'er Day & scoring away at Falkirk the next day in a 4-1 win. He never scored again & only played a handful of games in total.
    Yes ,wee Johnny ran riot that day.He was smaller than the corner flag.

A mate of mine from Bolton was a big pars fan
    He still goes on about it to this day on how we got one over his beloved boyhood heroes
    GGTTH

@hibs.net private member eastterrace's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by greenginger View Post
    You’re right about the 6th goal. I was behind the goals when it went in, reckon it only crossed the line by a foot.
    Then mayhem , everyone piled onto the pitch in a mini invasion.
    My first away game as well and mind running onto the pitch when Jim scott scored and big copper gave chase but I was to nippy for him . Also went the following Wednesday away at Motherwell were we lost 2-1

I was at that game with my Dunfermline mates as i lived in Rosyth at that time. Loving going 5-2 up but could not believe it when it went 5-5 and the abuse I was taking was too much. I went out the ground! A big roar went up and i feared the worst till a Hibs boy ran past and said it was for us. Phew. So the outcome after all these years is I have never left early again, or will ever. Falkirk semi, Hearts cup final and other hammerings etc.

On Dunfermline
    The 1960s.....The Pars finest decade

They won the Scottish Cup twice
    Beating Celtic in 60/61
    2-0 in a replay after 0-0 first game
    Then they beat Hearts 3-1 in 67/68
    (i was at that game)

They also trounced Valencia 6-2 at East End Park in the Inter Cities Fairs Cup.
    (predecessor to the Europa League}
    15.000 at the game
    Our own Tornado ,Alex Edwards scoring in that game.

It was 6-6 on aggregate and in a play off game in Lisbon ,Valencia won 1-0

Hibs would meet Valencia in the next round and we got beat in both ties.

Valencia went on to win the trophy.

Jimmy O would make his Hibernian debut in that tournament that year against Dutch side Utrecht at ER in December 1962 wearing the number 10 jersey

Had i not been brought up a Hibernian and been a fly fifer, i may well have been a Pars fan !!
    Last edited by Mick O'Rourke; 02-04-2020 at 09:16 AM.

Blog Entries
    I should say that incredibly, the game highlighted by John was not the first time I had seen 11 goals in a game versus Dunfermline. When I was a young lad I saw us win 7-4 at ER. The great Joe of course scored a hat trick & IIRC Charlie Dickson scored 3 for the Pars. That game was the start of an unbelievable 2 month (11 league games) spell for Hibs.
    1. In our next game we beat Airdrie 11-1 away. We also beat Partick 10-2 away during that period.
    2. We scored 55 goals & conceded 28 in those 11 games.
    3. Joe Baker scored in the 1st 10 of those 11 games, 20 goals in total. Joe was 19 years old!

Amazing times & almost as surreal was the fact that we didn't have a league clean sheet until our 3rd last game when we beat Arbroath 5-0 at ER. That was our only league clean sheet all season. Personally I blame Paul Hanlon!