hibs.net Messageboard

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 90+2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Mainly, yeah. He just seemed like a no it all prick and got the impression he didn’t like Ross much so I took it personal 😁
    I don’t think he liked anyone north of Watford condescending bassa

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    With hindsight shudda just run down his contract taken the hit and would have been in the Championship this season
    Yeah total madness sold him for a million should kept him let go free in summer woulda probably went up bad business from them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First Team Breakthrough
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: AlienDoidge9
    It was the part when Donald said

“ I got a phone call from jack saying josh had emptied his locker and said he’d been sold” then roughly by word Donald says “ I’ve not sold him this is the first I’ve heard “

absolute bull***** he would have given it the stamp of approval

Quote Originally Posted by CMurdoch View Post
    The footage where he is obnoxious towards his female assistant on the touchline at the boxing day game where he demands the attendance figure was beyond the pale. If I was her husband or father I would be fuming and looking to chin him. Disrespectful in the extreme. Imagine how he behaves towards staff when the camera isn't rolling.
    Been rationing myself and will watch the last 2 episodes tonight.
    There was nothing wrong with Methvens behaviour there at all IMO. Her comment that “if we get the number we get it...” summed her up. She didn’t seem to understand and she wasn’t delivering on her role. He wasn’t obnoxious or bullying but they had a time critical job and he needed to be direct.

Really nothing wrong with Methven’s approach based on the footage we see. He gives the commercial team a challenge - with a month advance notice. Asks for their feedback and input on several occasions. Then has to hold their hands throughout to get the task over the line. The team appear to contribute very little and one of them is removed afterwards. Fairly classic performance management and that girl wasn’t in the right job.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    I got the impression that during the meetings/presentations the staff present had heard it all before off camera, thus their total lack of response.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    There was nothing wrong with Methvens behaviour there at all IMO. Her comment that “if we get the number we get it...” summed her up. She didn’t seem to understand and she wasn’t delivering on her role. He wasn’t obnoxious or bullying but they had a time critical job and he needed to be direct.

Really nothing wrong with Methven’s approach based on the footage we see. He gives the commercial team a challenge - with a month advance notice. Asks for their feedback and input on several occasions. Then has to hold their hands throughout to get the task over the line. The team appear to contribute very little and one of them is removed afterwards. Fairly classic performance management and that girl wasn’t in the right job.
    Obviously we don't know the exact context but I didn't think that was the time or the place to be having that conversation.

Being able to announce the big crowd was clearly important to him - so they should have had a plan in place days, weeks before the game to ensure they had that number to be announced. That girl should have known the significance of it and should have been grafting, making sure everyone involved in counting tickets knew their job.

At every election Sunderland takes great pride in being one of he first places to return their results - they run like a well oiled machine, it's impressive to see. They manage it by being organised in advance.

When he starts swearing on the touchline during the match, it's either because he hasn't made it clear enough what he was looking for or because she's fallen hopelessly short and tbh it looked like the former to me.

Methvan was quite an entertaining character. He had a lot of ideas and he made things happen - but he did alienate the commercial staff. The way the film was cut it made the commercial team look a bit mediocre - but I think we only get part of the story here. I think Methvan got too emotional at times though and could act a bit unprofessionally.

The January transfer window was a disaster, and Donald has to take the blame for that. He made big mistakes: selling his only strikers before getting a replacement and panic buying Grigg for £3m. He should have put someone in charge of this stuff that understood how football negotiation works.

Overall this was a great series - enjoyed every episode. The only thing that would have improved it is access to the team talks etc.

5 goals in 38 games, Will Grigg is no longer on fire. Aidan McGeady looked great though and to think how many folks on here were moaning about being linked with him.

Been mentioned on other threads but anyone looking for more of the same and is bored in lockdown can do worse than take in Maradona in Mexico defo worth a watch to get your footie fix

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Never mind Sunderland get Maradona in Mexico on. Great story about the greatest player in most of our lifetimes managing a club in the drug heartland of Mexico.

No can do I'm afraid - despite him being one of the best footballers I have ever seen I will never forget/forgive the "hand of God" incident or his nauseating lapping up of the compliments over his cheating.
    I know up here all ABE's love the whole episode but just think what if it had happened to the Scotland team - I don't think that the love-in would be quite so spontaneous.

@hibs.net private member sleeping giant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Methvan was quite an entertaining character. He had a lot of ideas and he made things happen - but he did alienate the commercial staff. The way the film was cut it made the commercial team look a bit mediocre - but I think we only get part of the story here. I think Methvan got too emotional at times though and could act a bit unprofessionally.

The January transfer window was a disaster, and Donald has to take the blame for that. He made big mistakes: selling his only strikers before getting a replacement and panic buying Grigg for £3m. He should have put someone in charge of this stuff that understood how football negotiation works.

Overall this was a great series - enjoyed every episode. The only thing that would have improved it is access to the team talks etc.
    Both the owners were very unproffesional.
    Slagging off the manager in the directors box for everyone to hear.
    Absolute fannies.
    No Eternal Reward Shall Forgive Us Now For Wasting The Dawn

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    [QUOTE=gloryhunter;6139182]No can do I'm afraid - despite him being one of the best footballers I have ever seen I will never forget/forgive the "hand of God" incident or his nauseating lapping up of the compliments over his cheating.
    I know up here all ABE's love the whole episode but just think what if it had happened to the Scotland team - I don't think that the love-in would be quite so spontaneous.

Aye, what if's, what if's.

Sounds like you were emotionally invested, personally I loved it. Swings and roundabouts in the great scheme of things. England gifted a World Cup with a goal that never was and a clincher where their fans were on the pitch because they thought it was all over.

Maradona was a god of football, the England hand of god incident was a mere footnote in his legend.

@hibs.net private member
    [QUOTE=superfurryhibby;6139195]
    Quote Originally Posted by gloryhunter View Post
    No can do I'm afraid - despite him being one of the best footballers I have ever seen I will never forget/forgive the "hand of God" incident or his nauseating lapping up of the compliments over his cheating.

Aye, what if's, what if's.

Sounds like you were emotionally invested, personally I loved it. Swings and roundabouts in the great scheme of things. England gifted a World Cup with a goal that never was and a clincher where their fans were on the pitch because they thought it was all over.

Maradona was a god of football, the England hand of god incident was a mere footnote in his legend.

And you reckon I'm emotionally invested? ABE your slip is showing.

Left by mutual consent!
    I don’t think he liked anyone north of Watford condescending bassa
    True 😁

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by gloryhunter View Post
    Of course things are better when they happen to your rivals. If this had happened to Hearts in a cup final, I’d be dancing for joy. If it happened to Hibs, no dancing

Quote Originally Posted by BoomtownHibeys View Post
    Of course things are better when they happen to your rivals. If this had happened to Hearts in a cup final, I’d be dancing for joy. If it happened to Hibs, no dancing

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post

I found the jan transfer bit the most interesting part. I couldn't see a single decision they made that at the time i would have disagreed with if i was a fan.

Quote Originally Posted by DstN75 View Post
    I found the jan transfer bit the most interesting part. I couldn't see a single decision they made that at the time i would have disagreed with if i was a fan.

Including selling their on fire striker for a knock down price 1m and buying a dud for 3m when your Manager who is supposed to be the football expert has told you he is not even worth 1.25m and not to do it?

Hindsight is a wonderful thing but shudda told Maja he was going nowhere paid him what he was worth by offering a new contract and they would now be back in the Championship pretty sure I read somewhere he was happy to stay and that his new Manager in Belgium didn’t even know who he was and initially didn’t play him as 1-1.5m is chicken feed to them

Might be wrong but if I was a Sunderland fan watching that I would be ragin

Rant over
    Last edited by BILLYHIBS; 11-04-2020 at 05:30 AM.

Including selling their on fire striker for a knock down price 1m and buying a dud for 3m when your Manager who is supposed to be the football expert has told you he is not even worth 1.25m and not to do it?

Hindsight is a wonderful thing but shudda told Maja he was going nowhere paid him what he was worth by offering a new contract and they would now be back in the Championship pretty sure I read somewhere he was happy to stay and that his new Manager in Belgium didn’t even know who he was and initially didn’t play him as 1-1.5m is chicken feed to them

Might be wrong but if I was a Sunderland fan watching that I would be ragin

Rant over
    The boy was listenining to his agent. If the board had have stopped the move you can bet the agent would have arranged a pre contract agreement and advised the player to play in a way to avoid injury and not to show loyalty to a club that tried to scupper his move.

Quote Originally Posted by RIP Bestie View Post
    The boy was listenining to his agent. If the board had have stopped the move you can bet the agent would have arranged a pre contract agreement and advised the player to play in a way to avoid injury and not to show loyalty to a club that tried to scupper his move.
    Difficult to disagree with any of that but at least get them all sat round the table which did not happen

They sold the goose that laid the golden egg for a song

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Difficult to disagree with any of that but at least get them all sat round the table which did not happen

They sold the goose that laid the golden egg for a song
    You would assume the club would have had talks with the player and agent or at the very least tried to. Would also assume these talks would have not been filmed.

Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    You would assume the club would have had talks with the player and agent or at the very least tried to. Would also assume these talks would have not been filmed.
    Agree but it looked as though the boy was sold from under Jack Ross

You would also like to think you would get a replacement in first

Other clubs knew Sunderland were desperate which meant they could name their price

The simple math of selling a player for 1m buying a dud for 3m does not compute better surely to get into the championship plus I do not think Donald is strapped for cash

As you say the show was hugely edited we did not see the whole picture and hindsight is a wonderful thing

Agree but it looked as though the boy was sold from under Jack Ross

You would also like to think you would get a replacement in first

Other clubs knew Sunderland were desperate which meant they could name their price

The simple math of selling a player for 1m buying a dud for 3m does not compute better surely to get into the championship plus I do not think Donald is strapped for cash

As you say the show was hugely edited we did not see the whole picture and hindsight is a wonderful thing
    You would have thought they would have had a few options rather than just Grigg. Even getting a promising premier league striker on loan would have been an option.

Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    You would have thought they would have had a few options rather than just Grigg. Even getting a promising premier league striker on loan would have been an option.
    Christian Doidge

Quote Originally Posted by DstN75 View Post
    The problem is that once he'd sold their strikers he had lost all of his negotiating power. You could see how Wigan were just waiting for him to offer stupid money - which he did.

If he had signed strikers first he would have got much better value in the market.

Christian Doidge
    Was thinking more EPL

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    Obviously we don't know the exact context but I didn't think that was the time or the place to be having that conversation.

Being able to announce the big crowd was clearly important to him - so they should have had a plan in place days, weeks before the game to ensure they had that number to be announced. That girl should have known the significance of it and should have been grafting, making sure everyone involved in counting tickets knew their job.

At every election Sunderland takes great pride in being one of he first places to return their results - they run like a well oiled machine, it's impressive to see. They manage it by being organised in advance.

When he starts swearing on the touchline during the match, it's either because he hasn't made it clear enough what he was looking for or because she's fallen hopelessly short and tbh it looked like the former to me.
    Exactly. Poor management. Fear is not going to motivate, it's going to scare people into getting it done. Fine, people may say, but there are other ways to get it done without compromising someone's mental health and wellbeing.

If a task isn't being carried out correctly the manager at the top should be saying "what could I have done better" to learn for next time and to convey their message and strategy clearer.

@hibs.net private member weecounty hibby's Avatar
    The decision to sell their top scorer for £1m probably cost them way more than that. They would likely have been promoted if they'd kept him. Totally stupid decision

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    Been mentioned on other threads but anyone looking for more of the same and is bored in lockdown can do worse than take in Maradona in Mexico defo worth a watch to get your footie fix

I’ve watched a couple, and while I like it I’d rather they just subtitled it rather than voiceover. I quite like to hear people speaking in their native tongue on these things and voiceovers feel intrusive. Won’t stop me watching it though!

Quote Originally Posted by Carheenlea View Post
    I’ve watched a couple, and while I like it I’d rather they just subtitled it rather than voiceover. I quite like to hear people speaking in their native tongue on these things and voiceovers feel intrusive. Won’t stop me watching it though!
    Watched it a wee while ago and always thought it was sub title

Anyway I felt it was an interesting watch Maradona in a Management role trying to get a lower league team up through the leagues fly on the wall warts and all