hibs.net Messageboard

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by tamig View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I haven’t watched a single episode of this yet so would you say it would be easy enough to dive straight into series two without watching the first?
    I'd watch series 1 first. It's better.

Also the annoying taxi driver stating he'd be satisfied if they knock 4 or 5 past Celtic in a friendly, a game they proceeded to lose 5-0, helped temper any sympathy I may have found myself having for them. Typically arrogant English lower league fan with the 'farmers league' mentality.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

2. Log in to remove the advert

Its good to have something football orientated to watch at this time.
    For me the second series covers the same angles as the first, mainly following the season from Boardroom and Terracing perspective.
    The big let down is that there have obviously been too many restrictions imposed on access to certain areas, the dressing room being the main one, which would have elevated this series to a better watch.

I haven’t watched a single episode of this yet so would you say it would be easy enough to dive straight into series two without watching the first?
    Yeah easy to pick up. All you need to know is there is a change in ownership, manager and squad. The only people really in it from the first series are some of the fans.

Quote Originally Posted by Coach Jon View Post
    Its good to have something football orientated to watch at this time.
    For me the second series covers the same angles as the first, mainly following the season from Boardroom and Terracing perspective.
    The big let down is that there have obviously been too many restrictions imposed on access to certain areas, the dressing room being the main one, which would have elevated this series to a better watch.
    That may have been Jack Ross saying he doesn't want his players distracted though.

Quote Originally Posted by hibby rae View Post
    I'd say his bavkground probably feeds into that behaviour. Eton, Oxford etc. Lived in a bubble his whole life, probably with a sense of entitlement. Devoid of empathy and unable to understand the challenges their staff face.

One example, they are both complaining the marketing team aren't rising to the challenge, not taking responsibility etc.

They are told they are asking them to do something they've never done before, with no support, never been given the responsibility but that doesn't seem to sink in.
    Aye, that’s the thing. Many business leaders are so driven towards reaching their goal that they’ll happily leave bodies in their wake. A good manager would take the time to try and understand what it’s like for their staff and support them through the changes.

Instead, they charge their way through things, upsetting people on the way and made royal fools of themselves in the process.

Alan Sugar ain’t going to be calling them any time soon.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Just watch the whole lot. The first series is easy viewing and pretty gripping.

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    Just watch the whole lot. The first series is easy viewing and pretty gripping.
    Yes, I’d recommend the same. Gives you a better understanding of the timeline after their calamitous attempt to jump straight back up in the first series and the expectation and belief of the supporters that they’d do just that without too much fuss. Watching the tribulations unfold over that previous season gives good context to where the club found themselves at the start of the season in series 2.

I get that Methven lacked quite a bit in people skills but that shouldn't detract from his business accumen. He was able to paint a pretty concise picture about the financial state the club was in when they took over and what had to be done to improve the situation.
    He had obviously already given a presentation about what their vision was and the changes that were required. Then in a meeting with key members of the administritive team, not one of them could tell him details of key elements of that presentation, ie. How much the club was paying in interest. That would have seriously pissed me off.
    In the situation the club was in it was important that they had people buying into their vision. Then in a later scene we seen the Head of Commercial girl rolling her eyes at him. They had to realise that drastic change was required and it seemed few of them were able to think outside the box. That would have been very frustrating. I honestly don't think many of that team would have outlasted me if I were in his position.

@hibs.net private member 18Craig75's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RIP Bestie View Post
    I get that Methven lacked quite a bit in people skills but that shouldn't detract from his business accumen. He was able to paint a pretty concise picture about the financial state the club was in when they took over and what had to be done to improve the situation.
    He had obviously already given a presentation about what their vision was and the changes that were required. Then in a meeting with key members of the administritive team, not one of them could tell him details of key elements of that presentation, ie. How much the club was paying in interest. That would have seriously pissed me off.
    In the situation the club was in it was important that they had people buying into their vision. Then in a later scene we seen the Head of Commercial girl rolling her eyes at him. They had to realise that drastic change was required and it seemed few of them were able to think outside the box. That would have been very frustrating. I honestly don't think many of that team would have outlasted me if I were in his position.
    Similarly, there was a scene where he’d just delivered another presentation or set out a vision for moving forward. He then invited employees to ask questions. Not one of them could muster up anything! Instead all just sat there looking glaikit like bored school children.

Hopefully there will be a third series however i dont think Sunderland will get out of league one for a while

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisski33 View Post
    Hopefully there will be a third series however i dont think Sunderland will get out of league one for a while
    Even if there is it will be totally eclipsed by the goings-on down Tynecastle way.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisski33 View Post
    They aren't filming this season apparently

@hibs.net private member Auckland Hibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    They aren't filming this season apparently
    Presume that Sunderland being paid for access by Netflix?

Watched the first 2 episodes of this but not getting the appeal and ended up bored. Just the same as watching any other dvd from any other teams season, which would never happen

@hibs.net private member
    looked like someone who knew what needed to change but had a team of amateurs to help him do it.

He was sharp with them and at times rude but I got the impression he didn’t rate them.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by 007 View Post
    I have sympathy for Stewart Donald, they needed 2 strikers and were going to end up with none. If he hadn't got Griggs they would have been hugely criticised. He acknowledged he'd paid over the odds but was backing his manager. Imagine the outrage on here if Doidge was to leave and wasn't replaced. I get that they could have insisted Maja's sees out his contract however they could easily have ended up like Rangers with Morelos who I reckon wanted away in January but wasn't allowed to and has thrown the toys out the pram.
    I wonder how the conversation with Jack Ross and LD or RG went back in January about the lad from Dunfermline?

Maybe the difference was our owner didn’t flap about and panic buy a player had told him not to pay anymore than he thought he was worth.

@hibs.net private member RyeSloan's Avatar
    I thought similar to be honest.

The scene where the Corp woman was sitting rolling her eyes and playing with her hair when Methven was trying to drum home the importance of what they were doing or it was more job losses was almost unbelievable.

I’d have been tempted to sack her there and then.

Quote Originally Posted by RyeSloan View Post
    I thought similar to be honest.

The scene where the Corp woman was sitting rolling her eyes and playing with her hair when Methven was trying to drum home the importance of what they were doing or it was more job losses was almost unbelievable.

I’d have been tempted to sack her there and then.
    I didn't think the bosses were that bad to be honest. Donald came across as someone just living the dream - maybe a bit out of his depth, but with his heart in the right place.

Methven seemed to know what he was doing, even if he went a bit over the top at times. But if these were the only ugly moments the cameras caught after filming for 52 weeks, then I'm sure the producers were a bit disappointed.

The staff they inherited, both the players and on the admin side, were certainly not Premier League standard, and I could understand their frustrations.

They claimed to have turned them around from losing £20m to breaking even - if true, then I'd say they did a pretty good job.

But I'd agree with others who have said that series 1 was better than series 2.

Never mind Sunderland get Maradona in Mexico on. Great story about the greatest player in most of our lifetimes managing a club in the drug heartland of Mexico.

@hibs.net private member Green Reaper's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Never mind Sunderland get Maradona in Mexico on. Great story about the greatest player in most of our lifetimes managing a club in the drug heartland of Mexico.
    Is that on Netflix?

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Reaper View Post
    Is that on Netflix?
    Yes it is. Very watchable.

@hibs.net private member Green Reaper's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    Yes it is. Very watchable.
    Cheers JB, will give it a go 😁

@hibs.net private member Winston Ingram's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Agreed. The Head of Commercial looked hopeless

Defenders really being hung out to dry.

Left by mutual consent!
    Great series. Found myself gutted for them but at the same time delighted Ross is here. They would have went up if they didn’t sell that player in January and overspend on Grigg. The ceo was a right ****, Donald seems a really good guy though.

@hibs.net private member Bishop Hibee's Avatar
    I agree. He was an arse in some ways but an astute businessman in what’s ultimately capitalism in the raw. Having lived down there and seen the passion people have for football, it’s a disgrace how poor both Sunderland and Newcastle have been down the years. One quibble was the way it was made out that Sunderland fans only came from Sunderland. I’d argue 30-40% of their ST holders come from other parts of County Durham.

Enjoyable series but it’s run its course I think.

Quote Originally Posted by 90+2 View Post
    Great series. Found myself gutted for them but at the same time delighted Ross is here. They would have went up if they didn’t sell that player in January and overspend on Grigg. The ceo was a right ****, Donald seems a really good guy though.
    He was a dick, but he was a dick who was right about most things.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    He was a dick, but he was a dick who was right about most things.
    Mainly, yeah. He just seemed like a no it all prick and got the impression he didn’t like Ross much so I took it personal 😁

One thing it has made me appreciate a bit more is how well Hibs did to turn things around so quickly when we were relegated.

I mean, 3 years in the Championship was a disaster, but there were reasons for that.

To let Stubbs start with a fairly clean slate and with the freshness of Dempster coming in at that time really was a blessing, but tbh by Christmas of our first season down we were already starting to look like a different club.

Sunderland had bumbled along low down in the Premier League for years and some of the financial (and other) decisions taken around that time were absolutely eye-watering. As they were relegated, then relegated again, those mistakes cast a huge and costly shadow. Even though League One isn't the highest standard, it was always going to be a massive job to turn a club that was basically a disaster area from top to bottom into one that could not just compete on the park but also pay its way off it. Getting 30,000 fans in in the third tier helps, but the job they had to sort it all was massive.

Ultimately it's all about the football and that's all fans see. The football hasn't been great and there have been plenty of poor results against poor teams and that gets the natives restless, natives who are expecting to win at that level.

They weren't far off going back up and made a decent fist of it but were typically unlucky when it mattered most. They then didn't do what they needed to do last summer and Jack Ross found himself out of a job - when in reality he wasn't the main problem.

Donald and Methven bit off more than they could chew and they haven't had the resolve required when the going got a bit tough this season. Donald might yet come good and I think he's done a lot more good than bad (a view not generally shared by Sunderland fans) but they need to get out of tat league quickly. They've also now shed the biggest earners and should have been getting rid of the poor habits behind the scenes so they should now be getting ready to go up. Or rather, running out of valid excuses not to.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    One thing it has made me appreciate a bit more is how well Hibs did to turn things around so quickly when we were relegated.

I mean, 3 years in the Championship was a disaster, but there were reasons for that.

To let Stubbs start with a fairly clean slate and with the freshness of Dempster coming in at that time really was a blessing, but tbh by Christmas of our first season down we were already starting to look like a different club.

Sunderland had bumbled along low down in the Premier League for years and some of the financial (and other) decisions taken around that time were absolutely eye-watering. As they were relegated, then relegated again, those mistakes cast a huge and costly shadow. Even though League One isn't the highest standard, it was always going to be a massive job to turn a club that was basically a disaster area from top to bottom into one that could not just compete on the park but also pay its way off it. Getting 30,000 fans in in the third tier helps, but the job they had to sort it all was massive.

Ultimately it's all about the football and that's all fans see. The football hasn't been great and there have been plenty of poor results against poor teams and that gets the natives restless, natives who are expecting to win at that level.

They weren't far off going back up and made a decent fist of it but were typically unlucky when it mattered most. They then didn't do what they needed to do last summer and Jack Ross found himself out of a job - when in reality he wasn't the main problem.

Donald and Methven bit off more than they could chew and they haven't had the resolve required when the going got a bit tough this season. Donald might yet come good and I think he's done a lot more good than bad (a view not generally shared by Sunderland fans) but they need to get out of tat league quickly. They've also now shed the biggest earners and should have been getting rid of the poor habits behind the scenes so they should now be getting ready to go up. Or rather, running out of valid excuses not to.
    Terrific review 😁👍