hibs.net Messageboard

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar

Lock down alleviation

Okay, that's been nearly a fortnight that I've been working from home. We're lucky enough to have a garden, but apart from a couple of wee strolls, I've only been really been out once and that was to pick up another computer I needed from the office. I stopped to buy bread and cakes on the way back and was well impressed by the set up, but that's a different story.

Anyway, tonight I organised a virtual apéritif (pre dinner scoops) with my in-laws (3 other households) and it was brilliant. We used messenger because my nearly 80 year old parents in law aren't capable of installing anything better (zoom) but it worked fine.

The first 15 minutes were a pain as people got set up then learned to speak one at a time, but afterward it was great. We spent a good 90 minutes together and I had a good laugh while skulling a very nice chardonnay to myself (no-one else in the house drinks).

Anyway, I'd advise you to do it. You may even hook up with people that you don't ordinarily see.

I'm already planning tomorrow night's event.
    Last edited by Peevemor; 28-03-2020 at 08:38 PM.

2. Log in to remove the advert

We had a zoom session last night with my parents, sister and a group of family friends. It was only for half an hour or so but was nice to have a chat and see people's faces. In many ways we are 'lucky' this has happened in an age when such things are possible.

We also had a chat with a couple of our neighbours out the window today and have arranged to see them for drinks as soon as this is all over. We are friends with them but it's a friendship we sometimes neglect. On the neighbours theme we got the bairn to draw a rainbow the other day and stick it in the window because I'd read it was a thing people are doing. Over the last couple of days rainbows have been popping up at windows up and down the street. I had a wee smile when I saw that.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Why is Zoom better than Skype?
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We had a zoom session last night with my parents, sister and a group of family friends. It was only for half an hour or so but was nice to have a chat and see people's faces. In many ways we are 'lucky' this has happened in an age when such things are possible.

We also had a chat with a couple of our neighbours out the window today and have arranged to see them for drinks as soon as this is all over. We are friends with them but it's a friendship we sometimes neglect. On the neighbours theme we got the bairn to draw a rainbow the other day and stick it in the window because I'd read it was a thing people are doing. Over the last couple of days rainbows have been popping up at windows up and down the street. I had a wee smile when I saw that.
    We used Zoom last night had a family quiz was a good laugh, they waved the 40min limit which was also good we thought we would have to keep starting and stopping all night to reconnect.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    Apparently zoom is easier to use and the software/app is a lot smaller and bugs less.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    Apparently zoom is easier to use and the software/app is a lot smaller and bugs less.
    Thanks. I tried Zoom but the volume was very quiet even though it was at max on my phone.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Thanks. I tried Zoom but the volume was very quiet even though it was at max on my phone.
    I'm no expert. I haven't used Skype for years and even then it was only for one-on-one conversations.

Since working from home I was told to install Zoom and, having used it a few times now, I've no complaints whatsoever.

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    GoToMeeting is a great piece of software. I've been using it to arrange meetings with other unions in other countries for the last few weeks. They have a free 14 day trial at the moment but we've now acquired the paid version.

We had a 3 location virtual pub on Friday via google hangouts. Worked really well.

3pts away from home - i'm a happy glory hunter. jonty's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: jonty Wii Code: 7580 5998 4272 1376
    its not

Zooms failings have been in the news the past 24 hrs. it has an easier user interface but a few flaws and 'privacy disaster' after its tie in with facebook
    I wouldnt go as far as to call it malware but this professor did : https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...o-conferencing

WhatsApp is ok for one-to-ones - never tried it for group chat but i'd prefer it on a pc rather than phone.
    i wouldnt trust facebook messenger as far as i could throw it.
    Houseparty has been accused to being hacked
    factime has its limitations (iOS)
    I've never tried google hangouts.
    Microsoft are giving Teams away free but its not for the faint-hearted

Paid software has it advantages!

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jonty View Post
    its not

Zooms failings have been in the news the past 24 hrs. it has an easier user interface but a few flaws and 'privacy disaster' after its tie in with facebook
    I wouldnt go as far as to call it malware but this professor did : https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...o-conferencing

WhatsApp is ok for one-to-ones - never tried it for group chat but i'd prefer it on a pc rather than phone.
    i wouldnt trust facebook messenger as far as i could throw it.
    Houseparty has been accused to being hacked
    factime has its limitations (iOS)
    I've never tried google hangouts.
    Microsoft are giving Teams away free but its not for the faint-hearted

Paid software has it advantages!
    You can use WhatsApp on a laptop/PC but I’m not sure if the video works on there or just the messaging.

We are using MS Teams at work. I’m having to deliver workshops through it and it’s ok.

I’ve been using Whereby for virtual pub meet-ups.

Joined an online pub quiz tonight through zoom and got pished on a great selection of beer In the house. It's been decent but not the same as being there.
    Last edited by Mr Grieves; 04-04-2020 at 12:18 AM.

reigning hibs.net poker champion Wembley67's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Happyhibs62
    Another good one for chatting/video is https://discordapp.com/
    "You opened the box....and your soul belongs to me...."

I'm going to organise a virtual sesh tonight with 2 of the guys who don't use social media at all.

I don't think you can use messenger without a Facebook account now, I'm not sure everyone will want to install Zoom so I'm thinking about WhatsApp. Is it any good for this stuff?

@hibs.net private member hibee_girl's Avatar
    I'm going to organise a virtual sesh tonight with 2 of the guys who don't use social media at all.

I don't think you can use messenger without a Facebook account now, I'm not sure everyone will want to install Zoom so I'm thinking about WhatsApp. Is it any good for this stuff?
    We’ve used WhatsApp video call for our family chats and it’s been absolutely fine so far.

Quote Originally Posted by hibee_girl View Post
    We’ve used WhatsApp video call for our family chats and it’s been absolutely fine so far.
    OK thanks. I've just checked and it works for 4 people maximum (we'll be about 7/8 tonight).

It looks like I'll have to ask them to install Zoom.

OK thanks. I've just checked and it works for 4 people maximum (we'll be about 7/8 tonight).

It looks like I'll have to ask them to install Zoom.

you can use Zoom through a browser, if they don’t want to install anything

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by McD View Post
    you can use Zoom through a browser, if they don’t want to install anything
    Is it not only a 40-50 min limit though?

Quote Originally Posted by Danderhall Hibs View Post
    Is it not only a 40-50 min limit though?

think it’s a 40 minute limit if using the free version, regardless of browser/app/install...stress the word *think* lol

Zoom lifted the 40 minute cap for American version recently, not sure about UK one though. You can just end meeting and immediately start a new one after 40 minutes if need be.

think it’s a 40 minute limit if using the free version, regardless of browser/app/install...stress the word *think* lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Franck Le God View Post
    Zoom lifted the 40 minute cap for American version recently, not sure about UK one though. You can just end meeting and immediately start a new one after 40 minutes if need be.
    Normally it's restricited to 40 minutes for more than 3 people online but, as said above, you can start another meeting straight away.

They also seem to be doing away with the 40 minute limit at random times.

I was online with 7 mates on Saturday night. It cut after 40 minutes, we restarted, and it left us in peace until we switched off nearly 90 minutes later.

Zoom also seems to have upped it's security a bit.

I'm thinking of shaving all my hair off. It shouldn't take long to be honest. It's either that or paint the back room.

Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    I'm thinking of shaving all my hair off. It shouldn't take long to be honest. It's either that or paint the back room.
    Paint yer heid!