hibs.net Messageboard

Blog Entries

Freezing Sandwich meat.

I’ve read that you can freeze unopened packs of sandwich meat, wrapped in foil to avoid freezer burn for up to six months. What I would like to know is how it might affect it’s use by date. For example, if you freeze packs with a use by date of 1st April on 22nd March ( 9 days life ) and you open a pack two months down the line, will it still have 9 days life?

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Jim44 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I’ve read that you can freeze unopened packs of sandwich meat, wrapped in foil to avoid freezer burn for up to six months. What I would like to know is how it might affect it’s use by date. For example, if you freeze packs with a use by date of 1st April on 22nd March ( 9 days life ) and you open a pack two months down the line, will it still have 9 days life?
    According to:

https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/eat-wel...vers/#freezing

Answer is no - you should eat within 24 hours of defrosting.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JeMeSouviens View Post
    According to:

https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/eat-wel...vers/#freezing

Answer is no - you should eat within 24 hours of defrosting.
    That’s a pity. I put three packs in the freezer assuming I could defrost a pack and use it over a few days. I suppose it would have been better to bag individual slices and use them as and when.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim44 View Post
    That’s a pity. I put three packs in the freezer assuming I could defrost a pack and use it over a few days. I suppose it would have been better to bag individual slices and use them as and when.
    The real danger is lots of pre cooked meat has been previously frozen once cooked so you should not re freeze again and most pre packs tell you not to freeze if that is the case.

In regard to freezing and then defrosting, I have done it plenty of times and used it over a few days without any issues. The trick is to dry it on kitchen rolls to absorb the excess water from defrosting, this reduces the likelihood of bacteria developing rather than leaving it wet.